Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I kinda fell off because the manga took a rather lame turn I didn't care to see animated, and even aside from that, what I watched of the new season was just kind of...fine? Lacks the first season's emphasis on Teko grappling with her anxieties so it's just kinda...people hanging out in front of pretty art. "The first season again but less so" isn't really a great pitch.

What was the lame turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

What was the lame turn?

So there's this small 10ish year old girl named Kokoro who starts hanging out with Pikari and making Teko jealous. This jealousy is ultimately resolved when it comes out that Kokoro is actually a feminine-looking little boy who is in fact in love with Pikari. This resolves Teko's jealousy because Kokoro being a boy means that his love for Pikari is, obviously, different from her own, and thus she resolves to help the 10-year-old hook up with Pikari so he can be a big strong sea man and protect her like he's always wanted to. Pikari is very smitten by all of this.

I found this all to be pretty eyeroll-inducing even aside from the character involved being like 10.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress. :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

So there's this small 10ish year old girl named Kokoro who starts hanging out with Pikari and making Teko jealous. This jealousy is ultimately resolved when it comes out that Kokoro is actually a feminine-looking little boy who is in fact in love with Pikari. This resolves Teko's jealousy because Kokoro being a boy means that his love for Pikari is, obviously, different from her own, and thus she resolves to help the 10-year-old hook up with Pikari so he can be a big strong sea man and protect her like he's always wanted to. Pikari is very smitten by all of this.

I found this all to be pretty eyeroll-inducing even aside from the character involved being like 10.

lol

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh cool, I won the bet with the wifey re: Kokoro's gender :woop:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd been getting a lovely vibe from the show since the first ep of the new season, this has been a good week for teaching me I should trust my instincts

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rip amanchu. the first season was good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

e: insanely poo poo post removed
e2: the trend of dismissing stuff wholesale based on spooky future source summaries after liking it up to that point is pretty lame imo.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 12, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a little pretentious to call your own posts a genre tbh

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've generally liked the episodes so far...minus everything to do with that character, so I guess that checks out in the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

the boring genre proves itself untrustworthy yet again

gently caress off dude

edit: okay kneejerky but like, when you take a thing a lot of actual lesbians found some meaning in taking that kinda lame turn as a chance to make a snippy post about 'the boring genre,' it sucks poo poo. my ex was really into amanchu and i dont even talk to her and i feel bad about how she's probably gonna react to that if the anime adapts it straight across

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 11, 2018

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Motto posted:

The quality of your posts needs to improve across the board, motto.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Go back to weakly trolling the PS4 thread and getting ignored

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't know why you've suddenly started doing this in like every thread but it's been really loving tiring to read and i'm just gonna leave it at that

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mottos brain has been poisoned by Discourse. I perscribe a regimen of actually watching shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Mottos brain has been poisoned by Discourse. I perscribe a regime of actually watching shows.
the clockwork orange machine but its just showing every episode of hunter x hunter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i'm sad about amanchu and also glad i guess that i didn't have enough energy to start s2 now

at least i have ggo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

anyway i'm sad about amanchu and also glad i guess that i didn't have enough energy to start s2 now

at least i have ggo

i mean s1 made some pretty big changes from the manga in terms of how it portrayed the central relationship so maybe s2 will too

then again, maybe the director was changed because they dared to make the girls gay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i mean s1 made some pretty big changes from the manga in terms of how it portrayed the central relationship so maybe s2 will too

then again, maybe the director was changed because they dared to make the girls gay

dying for the sake of lesbians... respect

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

TBF, isn't he busy with PreCure or something right now?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Colonel posted:

dying for the sake of lesbians... respect

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

TBF, isn't he busy with PreCure or something right now?

promoted because he made the girls gay

though he could have easily been told he wouldnt be doing amanchu s2 and then been hired by the precure guys

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Amanchu S1 was really good and should have gotten all the press about inventing and saving gay people instead of YoI

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

using the magical power of wikipedia the same guy is chief director on season 1 and 2 and is doing precure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

using the magical power of wikipedia the same guy is chief director on season 1 and 2 and is doing precure
using the magical power of wikipedia i can find several pictures of penises

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't even need Wikipedia for that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are you going to share with the amanchu girls, they seem interested

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (or CGDCT, if you're nasty) has worked perfectly fine as a descriptor and I see little point in calling it something else. The lame turn about Amanchu! is unfortunate, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

are you going to share with the amanchu girls, they seem interested
tbh thats at least an okay own

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
To offer a different opinion, I've liked Amanchu Advance so far. I like how it's handled Teko's growth, and how it's portrayed diving as something that's grown familiar to her while still requiring a lot of preparation and concentration.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its possible the anime will go in a less lame direction with that subplot

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Amanchu diving club takes a joint trip with the Grand Blue diving club.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

The Amanchu diving club takes a joint trip with the Grand Blue diving club.
i do not feel this would solve the issue of being heterosexual

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
just the bi chick from grand blu

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i think it's earned to be upset or concerned when a random 10yo boy with no real role in the greater narrative of the story gets easy validation for being straight in a manga that near-completely focuses on the relationships between girls. but ,,

This is the kind of crossroads characters find themselves in all the time in even just bold-faced yuri works published in dedicated yuri magazines. Thinking they aren't able to acknowledge themselves. The line isn't the same as peko turning to the viewer and going, "we're both straight," and then they get boyfriends and the manga ends, there's different reads you can make on it because, social norms are complicated. there's a reason "girls can't love girls" is such a catchphrase now.

I think Amanchu is a subtextual story from the beginning. The mangaka is married and probably straight, and previously did Aria, a series that gives nods to het relationships but doesn't dedicate real narrative importance to them, whilst being a story completely about the bonds between girls. There are still readers for whom that's enough. and there's people who will hate it and/or not want to continue into this part of the story because they think reading yuri into this is a mental hoop they don't have the energy for. I get both sides of that.

I think it's more complicated than "everyone pack your poo poo, the het's here", so I just wanted to lay this out and let you take what you will.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Space Flower posted:

i think it's earned to be upset or concerned when a random 10yo boy with no real role in the greater narrative of the story gets easy validation for being straight in a manga that near-completely focuses on the relationships between girls.

Gee, I'm sure glad I didn't read any of those spoilers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd still be totally gross if it was a 10 year old girl

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I don’t know what you can’t glean from that which isn’t already part of the context of this whole convo, which is about a slice of life diving manga, not a plot-intensive thriller

In fact it looks like you’ve read into it way more than is actually present in the manga, like last time this came up and someone said one of the girls had a boyfriend. They don’t

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it'd still be totally gross if it was a 10 year old girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't think that's really the point op

also that's a fundamentally useless thought exercise because if it was a 10 year old girl she wouldnt say that 'since you're a boy, you have a different (subtext: more valid) kind of like for her' and thus the entire subplot wouldn't exist and probably wouldn't progress from there

• Locked thread