Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Contemptor is just multimelta or kheres assault cannon. The kheres is a pretty nice S7 gun but the contemptor is really all about using its superior speed to get up into the face of T7 targets and beat the poo poo out of them. Vendread is probably best use as las/missile config, or maybe autocannons if you have them.

Or a relic Contemptor with las/autocannon/asscan/melta/heavy bolter/plasma/c-beam and both an invuln and fnp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

Or a relic Contemptor with las/autocannon/asscan/melta/heavy bolter/plasma/c-beam and both an invuln and fnp

That's great too but is in a different league, you can't really compare it to a vendread that's literally 100+ points cheaper, relic contemptor is more like an armiger.

Also I'm slightly bitter that relic contemptors and vendreads don't get Iron Hands chapter tactics anymore. They just literally don't get chapter tactics because of the change to fnp stacking.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

That's great too but is in a different league, you can't really compare it to a vendread that's literally 100+ points cheaper, relic contemptor is more like an armiger.

Relic Contemptor with kheres and fist is 202pts, vendread with autocannons and fist is 165 points? 202-165 is 37? That's literally not 100+?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Oi whatup red white and blue bug buddy! :cthulhu: :hf: :krakken:

Edit: I ended up just opting not to use Nid small bugs except Rippers, because gently caress that. They're supposed to be a supplementary force to my Genestealer Cult, anyway.

:cthulhu: :hf: :krakken:

They were supposed to be orange/teal/white but I got off base and ran with it.

These nids represent FREEDOM AND AMERICA

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Badablack posted:

What are peoples’ experiences with chronic quitters? I play a few different people that, after a particularly brutal set of rolls or losses will throw their hands up and declare the game over. Usually it’s turn 2-3, the score is tied, and nothing has actually been decided. Usually I’ll tell them to man the gently caress up and keep playing, at which point I get stomped or it’s a very close match. One person will just start packing up models and welp there goes a couple hours for nothing. I don’t even play him now because it’s a waste of a drive.

How do other people deal with players that immediately roll over and start packing the moment the game isn’t a total stomp in their favor? It’s getting kind of obnoxious having to coax and encourage opponents to finish the drat game.

I guess the best you can do is not to play them, but if it's a significant part of your group then that might be unavoidable. It's not a problem we've really had - there was one dude who built a brand new Sisters army for 8th and quickly gained a reputation for playing like half of turn 1 then giving up, but he doesn't seem to have posted in our FB group in a while and presumably went back to Malifaux and whining about 40k being unbalanced. He once quit on me on turn 1 because he tried to advance and charge Celestine and I wouldn't let him which wrecked his One Winning Trick, and then I shot her dead and that was GAME OVER.

The worst I've experienced wasn't 40k but playing Twilight Imperium where a man who was far too old not to know better pitched a massive fit at everyone being unfair and attacking him, went off for a sulk, had to be embarrassed back into playing by the host's sister, and then won about 20 minutes later.

We do have a guy who is the whiniest baby going who just today posted complaining about how he doesn't want to play anyone competitive ever again and he wants purely fluffy games etc. etc. and he's sick of everyone he plays being a "gamey cheesy WAACer," which I guess would be fine if this rant hadn't been prompted by losing to a really chilled hippyish dude with a Primaris army who's about the most relaxed guy going. Most people's solution at this point is just not to play him, because all you're going to get is the miserable experience of him having a whinge to your face and then whining on the FB later too.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

mango sentinel posted:

Can anybody give me a quick rundown on the different Russ models in terms of battlefield role and how effective they are at it?

Beer already did it, but I'm gonna do it too:

MBT: very good. Good stats, great range. Best option. I give mine all HBs and let the good times (dice) roll!
Exterminator: Not the worst option, but the MBT is better, especially since the MBT is only 5 points more.
Eradicator: the worst. Never take one unless you're playing dark eldar on a terrain-heavy board.
Demolisher: absolute garbage. If the turret weapon didn't degrade with the number of models in a unit it would be so loving rad, but it does, so it isn't. Also it's crazy expensive. I have mine kitted out with 3 heavy flamers apiece because it's funny.
Vanquisher: still only one shot, still terrible. just take an MBT.
Executioner: can be very good! Give one to a tank commander and re-roll ones all day and this little badboi will do solid work, especially against primaris marines. I use plasma sponsons on mine because it is the cool thing to do.
Punisher: great against hordes, crap against armor. A good take vs. orks or tyranids. Marines in cover laugh at its puny bullets.

Sponson and hull weapons: take HBs on regular tanks, and lascannons and HBs on tank commanders. Multi-meltas never seem to do what they're supposed to do, but a lascannon shot from deep in your lines at BS 3+ can cause anyone problems. An argument can be made for plasma sponsons on tank commanders, but then things get a little pricey. Trust your gut on that one.

Two Beans posted:

How bad is this list?

I'm not a chaos player so I don't have a ton of advice here, but why take a giant unit of Havocs with 4 lascannons when you can just take a Predator with 4 lascannons that's more mobile and harder to kill (and probably cheaper)? Also, I noticed there are mutilators in your list. That's an interesting unit to take! Is this your "throw whatever I have together for a list" list? Or is this your prospective NOVA 2500 pt. list?

Now, a question for the thread: Can we stop posting battlescribe outputs? I know they're convenient, but they're so hard to read. I've talked to some posters in this thread and a lot of them claim that whenever they see a battlescribe output, they just scroll right on past. I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I think we can all agree that a bajillion '+' marks all over the page is pretty lame. Pendent made a comment last page or the page before about how 90% of listchat is ignored, and I think that's because most of the lists posted are all unreadable garbage from battlescribe.

Sorry if you love battlescribe or whatever.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

Relic Contemptor with kheres and fist is 202pts, vendread with autocannons and fist is 165 points? 202-165 is 37? That's literally not 100+?

Sure, assuming vendread with a fist, which might be the worst way to build one. And the points for a relic contemptor go up extremely quickly if you add basically any weapon you mentioned other than kheres. I see most people put the cyclone launcher on it which by itself is a 50 point bump.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Some good looking Nids have been posted in the last few pages.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Finally got the light box setup and took a nice photo of my..embarrassingly single complete unit of Tyranids. :negative:

So many more to paint...

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Oi whatup red white and blue bug buddy! :cthulhu: :hf: :krakken:

Edit: I ended up just opting not to use Nid small bugs except Rippers, because gently caress that. They're supposed to be a supplementary force to my Genestealer Cult, anyway.

I feel AGGRESSIVELY American.

Good job the both of you. These are some cool bugs.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Sex Cannon posted:

Now, a question for the thread: Can we stop posting battlescribe outputs? I know they're convenient, but they're so hard to read. I've talked to some posters in this thread and a lot of them claim that whenever they see a battlescribe output, they just scroll right on past. I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I think we can all agree that a bajillion '+' marks all over the page is pretty lame. Pendent made a comment last page or the page before about how 90% of listchat is ignored, and I think that's because most of the lists posted are all unreadable garbage from battlescribe.

I Stand With Him.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I run a strong Guard patrol formation (a company commander, a tank commander, a pair of infantry squads with flamers) as auxiliaries for my blood angel successors sometimes, with the Catachan regimental rules (and models, kitbashed with Skitarii bits). I'm thinking very carefully about what i'll get get to up the Patrol to a full Battalion.

All I need is one Guard troops choice, and i'm thinking either a third infantry squad or a single Tempestus Scions squad deep striking with all the plasma I can put on the unit. What does the thread think?

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Sure, assuming vendread with a fist, which might be the worst way to build one. And the points for a relic contemptor go up extremely quickly if you add basically any weapon you mentioned other than kheres. I see most people put the cyclone launcher on it which by itself is a 50 point bump.

No, the a single fist is 42 points (27ea for pair). A kheres is 25, most of the other weapons are no more than 30 except lascannons at 50. And no, most people don't put a cyclone on, since it's rather overpriced. Stop talking out your rear end.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

The Sex Cannon posted:

As a battlescribe lover or whatever I agree and also scroll past them. One of the things I actually love about it is that you can, in fact, go into your settings and turn off most of that garbage and make it a lot more terse. Just pare your list down to basic units for posting, and if someone wants to know more details then reply to them or whatever. This is a forum.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I do love Battlescribe but you're completely correct in that posted unedited output is basically just unreadable garbage. With appropriate editing it's fine, but at that point the post is indistinguishable from being hand typed.

The other piece is that it seems like there's a lot of people in the thread that just flat out dislike list chat or discussions of the crunchier parts of the game. There's really nothing wrong with this but for most people getting complaints whenever you post a list leads to, you know, not posting lists. I spend a shameful amount of my free time playing with lists in and the few times I've posted stuff I've had maybe a reply at most before people move on. It just doesn't feel like it's worth the effort to format stuff out at that point to me. .

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

zeal posted:

I run a strong Guard patrol formation (a company commander, a tank commander, a pair of infantry squads with flamers) as auxiliaries for my blood angel successors sometimes, with the Catachan regimental rules (and models, kitbashed with Skitarii bits to make a. I'm thinking very carefully about what i'll get get to up the Patrol to a full Battalion.

All I need is one Guard troops choice, and i'm thinking either a third infantry squad or a single Tempestus Scions squad deep striking with all the plasma I can put on the unit. What does the thread think?

Third infantry is good, they're cheap objective bodies. Scions are cool, but with the DS changes they're not so hot, and they don't offer a lot that you don't already have in BA.

Pendent posted:

I do love Battlescribe but you're completely correct in that posted unedited output is basically just unreadable garbage. With appropriate editing it's fine, but at that point the post is indistinguishable from being hand typed.

The other piece is that it seems like there's a lot of people in the thread that just flat out dislike list chat or discussions of the crunchier parts of the game. There's really nothing wrong with this but for most people getting complaints whenever you post a list leads to, you know, not posting lists. I spend a shameful amount of my free time playing with lists in and the few times I've posted stuff I've had maybe a reply at most before people move on. It just doesn't feel like it's worth the effort to format stuff out at that point to me. .

I try and reply to list posts when I can offer something useful, but I read on my phone a lot and that's not always conducive and there's only so many factions I know enough to meaningfully respond to. Lists posted not in Battlescribe are way more likely to get a response though, I hate reading that poo poo and usually I can hardly even parse what the list contains because of its formatting.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyway, I've got more of my Primaris stuff done and taking them for a spin next week.

2k Crimson Fists batt:

Pedro Kantor
Primaris Lt

5x intercessors
5x intercessors
5x sniper scouts

3x bolter inceptors

6x devastators + cherub, 2 lascannons, missile launcher, and a heavy bolter
5x hellblasters
5x hellblasters

Vanguard det
Jump chaplain with Fist of Vengeance

3x bolt aggressors
Ironclad
Contemptor
Prmaris Ancient with relic banner
5x Vanguard with jump packs (Thunder hammer, ablative chainsword + storm shield guys, some lightning claws)

Vindicator

Vindicator has served as a pretty decent distraction unit for my dreadnoughts before. Open to suggestions as to what could go in that 127 points it takes up though.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Milotic posted:

Yeah, you definitely don’t want to get an elite low model count army with a wide range of cool looking weaponry, where each member can have their own little backstory or the promise of having their own backstory. You definitely don’t want an army where victory lies through judicious use of CP to burst down a particular foe in a turn or constantly changing mission tactics to keep the opponent on the back foot. And why would you want an army that could fluffily accompany an Inquisitorial retinue. Who would want to use the new Rogue Trader models to kitbash that?

You are a monster and when I never get anything painted it is entirely your fault.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sidenote to list chat: I got my Voidraven done, so that's everything painted for LGT. I'll try and get a shot of the whole 2k after my game tomorrow.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

General Olloth posted:

As a battlescribe lover or whatever I agree and also scroll past them. One of the things I actually love about it is that you can, in fact, go into your settings and turn off most of that garbage and make it a lot more terse. Just pare your list down to basic units for posting, and if someone wants to know more details then reply to them or whatever. This is a forum.

Pretty much. It becomes way more readable if you go with Custom Text instead of Forum Text.

Finished my Inceptor leader :toot: was only after painting a good bit before I noticed an issue where the sides of the seams dont line up (guessing misaligned mold?), hopefully it's not too noticable and the other two guys look fine, though.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
https://youtu.be/iiK6859zdH8

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Great, more space wolves :rolleyes:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Can anybody give me a quick rundown on the different Russ models in terms of battlefield role and how effective they are at it?

Already been covered, but I had a few things I wanted to say that weren't mentioned:

Battle cannon: In my opinion, overall the best choice. Excellent against light armor, quite good against marines and heavy infantry, and not bad against heavy armor and passable against hordes. the 72" range is also amazingly useful in allowing you to choose your shots and outrange things like devastators with lascannons which will be wanting to prey on your leman russes.
Demolisher: Pretty bad, more expensive than a battlecannon, and will usually be putting out the same or less damage.
Eradicator Nova Cannon: 3 more points for -2 strength, -36" range, and ignore cover? No thanks. It is bad and should feel bad.
Executioner Plasma Cannon: A very good gun. Better against tanks and heavy infantry than the battlecannon. The biggest trade off here is that with 36" range, you have to put yourself into lascannon and equivalent's range in order to deal with them, while a battle cannon can pick off devastator marines from range.
Exterminator Autocannons: With the battle cannon putting out 2d6 shots per turn, there is no real reason to accept worse stats for more reliable number of shots. 2d6 shots is plenty reliable.
Punisher Gatling Cannon: Absolutely turbofucks hordes. Surprisingly not particularly bad against tanks if you can get into range. 40 shots hitting on 4+ and wounding on 5+ will chip a few wounds off most everything. Biggest issue is 24" range, but as a streetsweeper you can't get better.
Vanquisher Battle Cannon: Good against ranks. But the Battle cannon is only VERY slightly worse, and is massively more adaptable.

As for sponsons, I like the hull lascannons. The extra punch isn't too reliable on normal leman russes, but if you have several of them, at least one or two is going through, and they're a no brainer on tank commanders IMO, as your best option, battle cannons, kinda needs a little help in taking down large targets like Land Raiders. I also like to load my russes up with Heavy Bolter Sponsons. It's a pretty respectable amount of firepower for an extra 16 points.

Plasma cannon sponsons are way too pricey for standard russes, but I quite like them for a bit of extra dakka and anti-tank on my tank commanders.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I was gonna do an all Primaris Dark Angels successor Chapter, would I be better off running them as Dark Angels or generic Space Marines?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dark Angels are really good for Primaris since they buff some of the best Primaris units with the plasma strat + Grim Resolve.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Bug chat: It may hurt my soul but I will use swarm hordes of multiple full units of hormagaunts/termagants/gargoyles/whatever to the day I die, with a brush and an unpainted model in my hand. Swarm is what I want from 'nids, no matter how much it hurts.

(It hurts a lot, my army isn't even completely constructed much less painted.)

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Corrode posted:

Dark Angels are really good for Primaris since they buff some of the best Primaris units with the plasma strat + Grim Resolve.

I've been playing consistently against a friend who rolls with plasma hellblasters, Azrael, a darkshroud (4+ invuln) and some 5 man scout squads for fodder. It's a monstrous build and absolute easy mode for holding objectives.

The plan is to play in a local doubles tournament with me running my Banana bikes as a fast attack wing, outlook is good.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

If I was gonna do an all Primaris Dark Angels successor Chapter, would I be better off running them as Dark Angels or generic Space Marines?

All Dangles, all plasma inceptors/hellblasters

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Badablack posted:

What are peoples’ experiences with chronic quitters? I play a few different people that, after a particularly brutal set of rolls or losses will throw their hands up and declare the game over. Usually it’s turn 2-3, the score is tied, and nothing has actually been decided. Usually I’ll tell them to man the gently caress up and keep playing, at which point I get stomped or it’s a very close match. One person will just start packing up models and welp there goes a couple hours for nothing. I don’t even play him now because it’s a waste of a drive.

How do other people deal with players that immediately roll over and start packing the moment the game isn’t a total stomp in their favor? It’s getting kind of obnoxious having to coax and encourage opponents to finish the drat game.

Getting your opponent to ragequit is the most glorious victory of all.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Follow up question to this Leman Russ chat, what turret is better for tank commanders, assuming that you will be bringing normal Russes too? Do you stick Punishers on commanders and leave Battle Cannons on the regular ones, visa versa, or does it really matter?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Technowolf posted:

All Dangles, all plasma inceptors/hellblasters

This is all you need to know. Add Azrael / Lt / Ancient / Darkshroud to buff. Bring Samael on Sableclaw and a Talonmaster for some horde mulching.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I like the standard battle cannon or Executioner on my Tank Commanders and Pask. I see some people using Punishers, but I don't quite favor tying up that many points on such a close range, fairly vulnerable unit, but it's really up to personal preference. The same things apply to all of them, and it's mostly personal preference and synergy with the rest of your army.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Now, a question for the thread: Can we stop posting battlescribe outputs?
How 'bout we just cut to the chase and start handing out 7-day bans for posting lists at all? List-chat is literally the worst. I have no problem with mathammer discussions or talking about points efficiency or whatever, but "Hey, guys, do you think I can win a tournament against an unspecified local meta with this arbitrary bullshit?" is mind-numbing.

FWIW, I hate it in the Infinity thread as well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

panascope posted:

Getting your opponent to ragequit is the most glorious victory of all.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm not a chaos player so I don't have a ton of advice here, but why take a giant unit of Havocs with 4 lascannons when you can just take a Predator with 4 lascannons that's more mobile and harder to kill (and probably cheaper)? Also, I noticed there are mutilators in your list. That's an interesting unit to take! Is this your "throw whatever I have together for a list" list? Or is this your prospective NOVA 2500 pt. list?

It is for NOVA. I'm picking units that either A) show off my madd modeling skillz or B) worked for me back in 2nd/3rd ed so I'm guessing they prolly work similar in 8th since that's all I have to go on experience-wise.

Mutilators, for instance, I have no clue how good they are. But I do know that if I take three Tartaros, clip their hands off and attach wicked blades and greenstuff flames then I got some ill lookin' dudes that no one else has.

Havoks vs Preditor, this is a case of "I ran havoks in the old days and they wrecked poo poo, and I'm used to tanks getting popped open 1st turn." This might be no longer the case in 8th for all I know. I'm not opposed to running a Pred, in fact I've already marked the Deimos Pred from FW as a future purchase.

I appreciate the feedback. Any advice I can get is a big help since all I got is "what looks cool? what worked in the past?" while I build an army from scratch in 8 months time.

quote:

My bad, bruh. This app is fuckedy and the options menus make no sense.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Bulbasaur, as a young student of Ham, visited one master after another. He called upon Panascope of Longview.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: "The game, Warmaster, and models, after all, do not exist. The true nature of Warhammer is emptiness. There are no dice, no templates, no legions, no measuring tapes. There is no giving and nothing to be received."

Panascope, who was drinking quietly, said nothing. Suddenly he outflanked Bulbasaur's Thallax with a squad of combi-plasma vets. This made Bulbasaur quite angry.

"If nothing exists," inquired panascope, "where did these vets come from?"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

panascope posted:

Bulbasaur, as a young student of Ham, visited one master after another. He called upon Panascope of Longview.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: "The game, Warmaster, and models, after all, do not exist. The true nature of Warhammer is emptiness. There are no dice, no templates, no legions, no measuring tapes. There is no giving and nothing to be received."

Panascope, who was drinking quietly, said nothing. Suddenly he outflanked Bulbasaur's Thallax with a squad of combi-plasma vets. This made Bulbasaur quite angry.

:hai:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

panascope posted:

Your whole posting life led to this moment
Savour it

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

We do have a guy who is the whiniest baby going who just today posted complaining about how he doesn't want to play anyone competitive ever again and he wants purely fluffy games etc. etc. and he's sick of everyone he plays being a "gamey cheesy WAACer," which I guess would be fine if this rant hadn't been prompted by losing to a really chilled hippyish dude with a Primaris army who's about the most relaxed guy going. Most people's solution at this point is just not to play him, because all you're going to get is the miserable experience of him having a whinge to your face and then whining on the FB later too.

Lol I saw his mega whinge. Please tell me it was Alex the Florist and his Raven Guard successors he was whining about because as you say that dude is mega chill and as far removed from WAAC as it’s possible to get and his list is really fluffy and non competitive

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have the DW codex. Ask me stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have the DW codex. Ask me stuff.

How point efficient do Primaris with SIA look?