Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Buddy you don't have to be this angry that you were wrong about CZW.

Okay, man. If it's that important to you to feel like you've "won," go right ahead. Congrats, you've successfully defended your crown as the king of the insufferable nerds.

Now, getting back on topic: What was the worst Ric Flair match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

You are the one calling it poorly supervised amateur stunt work. But please tell me how a company that doesn't do very many death matches and mainly books a bunch of indie style matches fits your description? CZW took a dip in quality the last 6 months or so but CZW had been producing good matches and some top talent. Lio Rush's matches were nothing like what you described. Even the death match wrestlers of today are better workers than they were in the past. But sure, get angry because you said something that doesn't resemble reality.

ecavalli posted:

I think that's the rare point where Cornette is entirely correct. CZW is closer to poorly-supervised amateur stunt work than wrestling.

Amount of ROH champions the ROH school produced: 0
Amount of ROH champions the CZW school produced: 1 (Adam Cole)

The idea that CZW only does bad garbage wrestling is an idea that only the poorly informed and Jim Cornette repeat. Here's a list of people who have held the the CZW world championship since the ROH vs CZW feud

Justice Pain
Ruckus
Nick Gage
Drake Younger
B-Boy
Jon Moxley
Rob Anthony
Sozio
Drew Gulak
Biff Busick
Masada
Joe Gacy
Lio Rush
BLK Jeez
Jon Gresham
Father Matt Tremont
Davey Richards
Shane Strickland
Rickey Shane Page
Devon Moore
Maxwell Jacob Friedman (current)

Of those listed, 5 of them are guys whose style is primarily based around mat wrestling or technical wrestling (Busick, Younger, Gresham, Richards, Friedman). 5 of them are high fliers (Rush, Ruckus, Strickland, BLK Jeez, and Anthony). The remainder (9 in total) are primarily brawlers, but only 6 of them are regular death match guys. So only about a third of their world champs have death match pedigree if you count Drake Younger, who even though he's a very capable technical wrestler, DID spend a good amount of time in BJW, a deathmatch fed (however they, like CZW also have some talented technically gifted wrestlers, some who do both straight and deathmatches). CZW used to be very extreme/hardcore based but around the time they started heavily using people like Chris Hero, Caludio Castagnoli, Mike Quackenbush, the Quebec crew (Steen, Generico and friends) and Super Dragon, they started making it part of the show and NOT a primary focus. This list also does not include pre-2006 champs, which include Tajiri, Chris Hero, Super Dragon, and Eddie Kingston, none of whom are poorly trained deathmatch guys.

I'm not MRT, but I'm also a wrestling nerd, and I'm telling you: You don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 11, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the dumbest, most pointless bump I've ever seen was Spike Dudley getting throwing through the scaffolding behind the bleachers in an ECW television match. It was just...it's a TV match, the live audience literally can't see it, and there's no way to control your fall doing something like that.

vampiro took a top rope powerbomb that resulted in a concussion and a broken neck in the dying days of wcw

this also being wcw they made him work the thunder taping never again, got concussed again and never worked for the company again

Jerusalem posted:

Kane came in as an absolutely unbeatable monster, the only person who could possibly stand up to him was Undertaker who refused to fight his brother in spite of Kane's assaulting him regularly. Mankind gave Kane the best match of his early run in what was clearly designed as a match to get over Kane - Mankind just absolutely took it to him with everything and the best he managed was to get Kane onto his back for a brief few seconds before doing the monster sit-up. It wasn't until Kane met Austin that he ran into somebody who was completely and totally unafraid of him, and even then Kane beat Austin in their first title match (and lost it the next night).

After that he spent some time alternating between monster destroyer and a more human character, but he was never again quite as dominating and all-powerful as he was in his first few months in the role.

Matanza was basically Kane, except instead of losing to Austin, he lost his title to Sexy Star.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ecavalli posted:

Okay, man. If it's that important to you to feel like you've "won," go right ahead. Congrats, you've successfully defended your crown as the king of the insufferable nerds.

Calm down buddy, this isn't good for your heart.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

exploded mummy posted:

vampiro took a top rope powerbomb that resulted in a concussion and a broken neck in the dying days of wcw
gently caress, I didn't realize he broke his neck doing that.

ecavalli posted:

I appreciate your agreement but CZW has had plenty of great guys and great matches outside of those awful stunts.

Off the top of my head, the worst Ric Flair match is probably anything he did with Giant Gonzalez.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ecavalli posted:

I haven't seen it, but I know he's wrestled El Gigante. I can't imagine much worse outside of his post-WWE stuff.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm going to say "anything he did in TNA" because it diminished his retirement match at Mania

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't Flair wrestle Russo? That's probably it.

Towards the end of his final WWE in-ring run didn't he break his nose running the ropes, also? That's a first day of wrestling school thing, that match probably wasn't good in general if Ric was having that much trouble.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ecavalli posted:

He and Foley spilled about a gallon of blood between them once on a meaningless Impact TV episode.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

bessantj posted:

What are considered some of the most dangerous bumps that were also the most pointless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KUtoLcqH0&t=192s

Samoa Joe takes a running, flying, descending back bump on a concrete staircase to land a dropkick on Sting for a TNA show and the camera also barely catches it anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CarlCX posted:

Samoa Joe takes a running, flying, descending back bump on a concrete staircase to land a dropkick on Sting for a TNA show and the camera also barely catches it anyway.

He wasn't the same for a full year after that bump either.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I don't think I'd even be willing to run away quickly up or down a concrete staircase, so doing a jumping back bump on them sounds insane to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dromal phrenia posted:

I don't think I'd even be willing to run away quickly up or down a concrete staircase, so doing a jumping back bump on them sounds insane to me.

And his dick went smack into the rail too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It has to be one of the top answers, because for all its stupidity it's just a lame dropkick.

Most idiotic bumps are at least a moonsault or something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

exploded mummy posted:

Matanza was basically Kane, except instead of losing to Austin, he lost his title to Sexy Star.

That's a bit disingenuous. Matanza had little interaction with Sexy Star in that match and got taken down by a combination of fatigue, people teaming up on him and a Rey Mysterio roll-up. He was still well-protected.

Coincidentally, the only time Matanza's mystique was really hurt was when they put him up against Pentagon Dark, who is essentially the show's Austin.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CarlCX posted:

Ouch, but atleast there's a 'large' crowd?

Dias posted:

Any discussion about the dumbest spot in wrestling should start and end with that joshi double stomp from the balcony into the bleachers, IMHO.

Oh, more info on this.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It should also be pointed out that Joe took that bump for a crowd that was incredibly anti-Joe, that booed when Sting was prevented from cheating, and cheered when Kevin Nash turned on him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can someone post that indie balcony spot where as the guy is mounting the balcony, there's a dude standing behind him with his arms crossed, completely bored?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The real answer is right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY2aOnRrhrU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This move has to be right up there too as one that really should have been thought through better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwZX4XJ0Wxw

That's Mike Sydal, Matt's bro, taking the move - he got an awful concussion from it although he's still wrestling today. Spyral BKNY, who did the move, was paralysed in the ring in 2011 and passed away last year. Pretty depressing for all involved really.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its that one gif from last year of the guy jumping off the beam halfway up a gym wall onto a dude on a table except the guy rolls off the table so he just splats on the ground. That's the dumbest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

This move has to be right up there too as one that really should have been thought through better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwZX4XJ0Wxw

That's Mike Sydal, Matt's bro, taking the move - he got an awful concussion from it although he's still wrestling today. Spyral BKNY, who did the move, was paralysed in the ring in 2011 and passed away last year. Pretty depressing for all involved really.

Mike did think better. He refused to take it, Spyral did it anyway.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Going back to ring size how does the modern New Japan ring compare to the WWE/WCW ring?

Also around when did the WWF tighten it's rope up? Watching the Madison Square garden Tiger Mask matches are always a trip for how loose the WWF ropes were at the time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Flair wrestle Russo? That's probably it.

I think the Flair/Russo match ended with Reid, Meghan, and Charlotte nutshotting Russo who was handcuffed to the ropes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bessantj posted:

Oh, more info on this.

https://goo.gl/images/ATtXpn I'm on my phone so this is the best I can do.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Going back to ring size how does the modern New Japan ring compare to the WWE/WCW ring?

Also around when did the WWF tighten it's rope up? Watching the Madison Square garden Tiger Mask matches are always a trip for how loose the WWF ropes were at the time

AJ Styles has said the NJPW ring is very slightly smaller than WWE. Someone in a several year old reddit thread says 19.67 feet square, which is basically 6 meters.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Who was the most hated heel by audiences? I mean in the sense of audiences totally buying into his villain character, rather than wanting him to gently caress off because he was a lovely performer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sean10mm posted:

Who was the most hated heel by audiences? I mean in the sense of audiences totally buying into his villain character, rather than wanting him to gently caress off because he was a lovely performer.

The Sheik got absolutely insane heat and drew for years and years. He also stayed in character religiously so people bought into him even more.

The big Nazi characters of the 50s probably got similar heat but it's hard to say since it was so long ago.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

MassRafTer posted:

The big Nazi characters of the 50s probably got similar heat but it's hard to say since it was so long ago.

Fritz used this gimmick at some point right?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dump Matsumoto got insane heat cause she dared attack the Crush Gals and even had to fend off long sewing needle attacks at shows so she has to be up there

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you haven't had a gun pulled on you, then you aren't heel enough.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack Anderson posted:

Fritz used this gimmick at some point right?

Yes, Fritz, Baron Von Raschke, The Von Brauners, Hans Schmidt and a bunch of others.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Alvarez mentioned someone doing a legdrop from the apron to the floor and immediately got injured in Death of WCW.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Web Jew.0 posted:

Alvarez mentioned someone doing a legdrop from the apron to the floor and immediately got injured in Death of WCW.

It was Johnny the Bull and he tore his urethra

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

What are considered some of the most dangerous bumps that were also the most pointless?

Trinity did a moonsault from the top rope to the floor at the untelevised WWECW house show at ECW Arena in 2006, shattering her leg and pretty much ending her career

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tom magee did a shooting star press before a match and it ended his prospect status

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

sean10mm posted:

In terms of money drawn, it has be Gorgeous George, right?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lol at the CZW argument, like people defending it have no idea what the promotion is best known for or why it could possibly have that reputation. Yeah, it has tons of regular matches, but it's not somehow outlandish that people know it from guys powerbombing each other off of literal rooftops into parking lots and using weedwackers as weapons. When you notoriously have done the most over the top poo poo possible for years, it's NOT THAT WEIRD that people know you from that and ignore your regular indie poo poo that everyone else does.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

getting indignantly mad about the god given right to be wrong about something on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

lol at the CZW argument, like people defending it have no idea what the promotion is best known for or why it could possibly have that reputation. Yeah, it has tons of regular matches, but it's not somehow outlandish that people know it from guys powerbombing each other off of literal rooftops into parking lots and using weedwackers as weapons. When you notoriously have done the most over the top poo poo possible for years, it's NOT THAT WEIRD that people know you from that and ignore your regular indie poo poo that everyone else does.

Getting mad because someone said a wrestling promotion isn't just "poor supervised amateur stunt work" in response to someone claiming that's all it is, is THAT WEIRD though.