Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

areyoucontagious posted:

This is the line at the bottom of the UPS email I got today. They can trademark brown? Wtf?

The protection is basically going to be against people who are trying to trick customers into thinking they're UPS. Trademark's one of the more functional protections in IP law, because it's so limited. Also genericide, which I love as a concept because of its squishiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
On a similar note, my full-time job is that of a self-published author. I write mysteries, but there's been a giant kerfuffle in our industry because a contemporary romance author somehow managed to get a trademark for the word "Cocky" in a series title, and also a stylized version of the word that she uses for her series, The Cocky Brothers.

It's important to note that she was not the first person to use Cocky as an adjective in her book titles. Not by a long shot.

Anyway, she got the trademark, and then started threatening each and every author that had a book with the word "cocky" in the title to take them down. Then, she contacted Amazon and had them do it for her. This is despite the fact that one author, who used to be a patent lawyer, is already filing to have the trademark invalidated. Luckily, Romance Writers of America wrote to Amazon and basically went "yeah this bitch be crazy please put those books back up, that trademark isn't going to hold" and Amazon did it. So luckily the authors in question have their books back up.

In the meantime, it was discovered that the font she used to get her stylized trademark, the license doesn't allow to use for trademarks, so she's in violation of the licensing terms of the font.

Then the author in question, Faleena Hopkins, did a two-hour video on Facebook live where (among other things) she called people with autism stupid, and said that it wasn't racist to target interracial romance with her trademark infringement calls because she had an ancestor who was a slave.

The video has since been taken down.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 10, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So somebody with absolutely nothing to do with shipping could probably use that color brown, but a competitor shipping company couldn't have even close to that shade of brown on their trucks and uniforms. Is that roughly how that works?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Roughly, yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HookShot posted:

On a similar note, my full-time job is that of a self-published author. I write mysteries, but there's been a giant kerfuffle in our industry because a contemporary romance author somehow managed to get a trademark for the word "Cocky" in a series title, and also a stylized version of the word that she uses for her series, The Cocky Brothers.

It's important to note that she was not the first person to use Cocky as an adjective in her book titles. Not by a long shot.

Anyway, she got the trademark, and then started threatening each and every author that had a book with the word "cocky" in the title to take them down. Then, she contacted Amazon and had them do it for her. This is despite the fact that one author, who used to be a patent lawyer, is already filing to have the trademark invalidated. Luckily, Romance Writers of America wrote to Amazon and basically went "yeah this bitch be crazy please put those books back up, that trademark isn't going to hold" and Amazon did it. So luckily the authors in question have their books back up.

In the meantime, it was discovered that the font she used to get her stylized trademark, the license doesn't allow to use for trademarks, so she's in violation of the licensing terms of the font.

Then the author in question, Faleena Hopkins, did a two-hour video on Facebook live where (among other things) she called people with autism stupid, and said that it wasn't racist to target interracial romance with her trademark infringement calls because she had an ancestor who was a slave.

The video has since been taken down.

Jesus this story was a fun ride. :v:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hello. I live in California; and my Youtube account got suspended for reasons that I believe lie in something of a moral grey area.

Have any of you heard of the Channel Awesome scandal? In case you haven't, Channel Awesome's CEO, Mike Michaud, has engaged in an uncountable number of abusive business practices. They are too many to list here; but for a small sample of them, they include...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Covering up for a sexual predator named JewWario; keeping his multiple attempted rapes a secret not just from his co-workers, but from his own family.

2) Financially exploiting his suicide by forming a video montage of him after his death; while not allowing his best friend to do the same.

3) The Indiegogo 90k scam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For that reason, I copied and pasted a short summary of the situation across almost every single Youtube video on Channel Awesome. Unfortunately, I forgot to account for the possibility of someone labeling them as spam; hence, my account just got terminated today.

Now, reading up on the Guidelines and Terms of Service, the rules seem to suggest "Spam" as something that's done for more malicious purposes than what I had done. They included driving people off of Youtube, engaging in any deceptive practices, monetizing off of another channel's content, and other such things.

I did not post with any of those intentions in mind. So now I'm wondering if I could appeal this termination with a well-worded message. Is there anyone here who can help me with that? Thank you very much, and God bless you.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
:911:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That has got to be a troll.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
No, I'm quite serious, sadly. But if I broke the rules, I broke the rules. I didn't think I did, but, well...it wouldn't be the first time I've gotten something wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you think there is some YouTube court with a YouTube judge that’s gonna hear your complaint.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sorry, the only reason I said no is because I'm a YouTube judge so I can't help you. But I can go ahead and hear your appeal. Do you want to just post it here and I can take it under submission?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

euphronius posted:

Do you think there is some YouTube court with a YouTube judge that’s gonna hear your complaint.

I mean, I figure there's someone looking at it, if I even have the option to appeal it (as YouTube does). They've got the form and everything, here...

https://support.google.com/accounts/contact/suspended?p=youtube&visit_id=1-636615496704088010-3890768304&rd=1

That said, if there's a better forum for this question, I could post there. I just figured that "Terms of Service" disputes sounded like something that'd fall under something you could argue about.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 10, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm, that's an interesting and compelling argument. Tell me, how were you injured by the account suspension?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
every day, we stray further from god's light

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Jesus this story was a fun ride. :v:

It's been going on for days now and shows no sign of stopping!

It's kind of funny watching someone completely destroy their own career when they've made a pretty decent attempt at doing it to other people first.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Fionordequester posted:

Hello. I live in California; and my Youtube account got suspended for reasons that I believe lie in something of a moral grey area.

Have any of you heard of the Channel Awesome scandal? In case you haven't, Channel Awesome's CEO, Mike Michaud, has engaged in an uncountable number of abusive business practices. They are too many to list here; but for a small sample of them, they include...

1) Covering up for a sexual predator named JewWario; keeping his multiple attempted rapes a secret not just from his co-workers, but from his own family.

2) Financially exploiting his suicide by forming a video montage of him after his death; while not allowing his best friend to do the same.

3) The Indiegogo 90k scam.

For that reason, I copied and pasted a short summary of the situation across almost every single Youtube video on Channel Awesome. Unfortunately, I forgot to account for the possibility of someone labeling them as spam; hence, my account just got terminated today.

Now, reading up on the Guidelines and Terms of Service, the rules seem to suggest "Spam" as something that's done for more malicious purposes than what I had done. They included driving people off of Youtube, engaging in any deceptive practices, monetizing off of another channel's content, and other such things.

I did not post with any of those intentions in mind. So now I'm wondering if I could appeal this termination with a well-worded message. Is there anyone here who can help me with that? Thank you very much, and God bless you.

Posting the same message all over the place is spamming, I’m glad your YouTube account got suspended because you’re a spammer.

Also just FYI, nobody who matters gives a gently caress about YouTube comments. How’s junior year of high school going?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FrozenVent posted:

Also just FYI, nobody who matters gives a gently caress about YouTube comments. How’s junior year of high school going?

Back in my day it was Xanga drama.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Hypothetically, if someone wanted to buy a house with someone they weren't married to/in a domestic partnership with, is there some sort of standard contractual agreement/rule of thumb that would be used? Could you set it up with just one lawyer, or would it be better for each party to get their own lawyer? How much would it complicate things if one party were providing most of the down payment, and is there some sort of fairness rule of thumb for how that would be handled?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Hypothetically, if someone wanted to buy a house with someone they weren't married to/in a domestic partnership with, is there some sort of standard contractual agreement/rule of thumb that would be used? Could you set it up with just one lawyer, or would it be better for each party to get their own lawyer? How much would it complicate things if one party were providing most of the down payment, and is there some sort of fairness rule of thumb for how that would be handled?

Talk to your prospective title company.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah there's a lot of different ways you can title property and it depends by state exactly how it's done. Your title company can lay out the different types. As always, get a lawyer to review what you're doing if it's anything remotely complicated to cover your own rear end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You’ll both need to be on the mortgage for it to work most likely

I don’t know if banks will do that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I think most of us would tell you it's a bad idea. Marriage is easiest because there are lots of rules set up to protect spouses. Not so with friends or partners. I'm certain it works fine sometimes but when it doesn't it's spectacular.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The other person dies and their estate forces a home sale lmao

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The other person dies and their estate forces a home sale lmao

Unless its a homestead not subject to partition, in which case the surviving owner may get to stay, but must live in ever-present fear of missing a single payment or letting the house get messed up, or having an unwanted roommate or three who share equal rights of possession.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think most of us would tell you it's a bad idea. Marriage is easiest because there are lots of rules set up to protect spouses. Not so with friends or partners. I'm certain it works fine sometimes but when it doesn't it's spectacular.

Other bad ideas: continuing to rent and having to move every couple years to ever-shittier places because of rents outpacing wages, not murdering all of the Baby Boomers for leaving us with this shitpile of an economy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Other bad ideas: continuing to rent and having to move every couple years to ever-shittier places because of rents outpacing wages, not murdering all of the Baby Boomers for leaving us with this shitpile of an economy.

Its not a judgment thing; my wife and I bought our first house while we were still engaged. The reason we were cool with it was because a) we were confident enough that our relationship would continue on into perpetuity (so far so good) and b) I knew personally that, god forbid something happen, I'd be fine working something out with her family or just as fine walking away from the house with no money in my pocket because, gently caress I just don't care.

The reason you go about setting up a joint-ownership situation the right way is because the pitfalls of that relationship going south are much greater and more complicated if the co-owners aren't married, and further because you realistically expect the relationship to fall apart eventually.

People are just saying its like building a safety net because you know the high wire is going to break eventually - so it makes sense for people to say, "why not just use a high wire that you don't expect to break, and already has a safety net build in?"

Back to my original point though, go talk to your prospective title company and see what kind of arrangements they have pre-packaged. If nothing fits your objectives, or you still need clarity or guidance, then a local solo-practitioner attorney who does real estate should be able to close the gap.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Aside from the obvious estate issues in case of death, what other protections does marriage offer?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If two non married people break up, you have to sue to get your part of the equity in the home (if they don't agree). Hope you have contracts for it and payment histories and 10k for a lawyer.

If two married people divorce, the law automatically gives equity to both spouses (in a general sense, there are lots of exceptions). It's far more straightforward and harder to fight about.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also in a divorce the Court decides who possesses the house. If not married people break up, then possession belongs to the equity owner, and to whomever the equity owner gives any part of their equity.

So if the Connor dies, then all the sudden their immediate family all become holders of a possessory right to the property as well. So you can have a bunch of new roommates, or people who want to force you to sell your home so they can cash out on their dead Sons ownership interest

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is a Connor?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

I think you're just racist against the Irish.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If two non married people break up, you have to sue to get your part of the equity in the home (if they don't agree). Hope you have contracts for it and payment histories and 10k for a lawyer.

If two married people divorce, the law automatically gives equity to both spouses (in a general sense, there are lots of exceptions). It's far more straightforward and harder to fight about.

Yeah, it seems like doing that without a contract would be a fool's game.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

Come with me if you want to live in my house

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Come with me if you want to live in my house

Actual lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Question for the lawyers in the thread:

As the sovereign citizen movement has gained recognition in the last few years, have you noticed a diminution in the number of gold fringed flags in courtrooms?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

This is one of the most educational and entertaining threads i follow and i finally have a question! I live in Portland, OR and have a student loan debt of 6k that has been bought by a collection agency. I have been paying them $100 a month for the last year but i just had a new expense added to my budget that is making it hard to actually pay them every month. If i just stop paying them can they garnish my wages? I can't seem to find a clear answer online and i don't give a gently caress if they take my tax returns, but a 20 percent or higher wage garnishment would probably make me homeless.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 12, 2018

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Fragmented posted:

This is one of the most educational and entertaining threads i follow and i finally have a question! I live in Portland, OR and have a student loan debt of 6k that has been bought by a collection agency. I have been paying them $100 a month for the last year but i just had a new expense added to my budget that is making it hard to actually pay them every month. If i just stop paying them can they garnish my wages? I can't seem to find a clear answer online and i don't give a gently caress if they take my tax returns, but a 20 percent or higher wage garnishment would probably make me homeless.

If you can afford to pay anything at all, try to negotiate a payment plan you can afford. Some firms will be more amenable than others. If y'all do agree on lower payments, get it in writing and keep it someplace safe.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Thanks for the option, doesn't answer my specific question though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fragmented posted:

Thanks for the option, doesn't answer my specific question though.

The answer to your specific question is yes.

In addition to "talk with the other side before it gets to that point," another general but possibly helpful answer to an unasked question is that I believe federally guaranteed student loans can be garnished to 15% without having to sue you, but federal or private student loans can be garnished to 25% if they sue you for it.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 12, 2018