Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:golgo:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
excellent snipe and followup.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

excellent snipe and followup.

I cannot condone or abide pup on pupper violence

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I cant see imgur posts at work, I assume there's 2 puppers in there

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Remember that Army mishap a few years ago when some hummers pancakes during an airdrop? Yea some dipshit sgt cut the lines on them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I misread that story and at first thought it was the same guy who filmed them cratering, but apparently it was two different guys that got charged. The guy who cut the lines and the guy who filmed it and laughed/cheered as they hit the ground.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/995048728926048256?s=21

Also Stormy’s attorney is my new favorite twitter follow.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The total loser that people actually enjoy seeing on tv?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Lil Tay thing was funny until I saw the SCMP article that did a little investigation and which suggests she's put up to it by her Vancouverite realtor mom and they point out a video shot with some actual gangsters that have murdered people where she breaks character a little bit. Then I just got sad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

boop the snoot posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/995048728926048256?s=21

Also Stormy’s attorney is my new favorite twitter follow.

I don't think it is at all possible to get more 'pathetically insecure school yard bully' than this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

I misread that story and at first thought it was the same guy who filmed them cratering, but apparently it was two different guys that got charged. The guy who cut the lines and the guy who filmed it and laughed/cheered as they hit the ground.

Ok that’s bullshit.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ok that’s bullshit.

He only got a letter of reprimand but yeah I agree, it's bullshit.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ok that’s bullshit.

That's the army. Of course they punished the DZNCO who filmed and laughed about a seriously major incident (even if it was loving cool to watch) and then posted it online.

I'm just surprised all he got was an LOR.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Probably locally filed, too.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmao that the NRA appointed that gently caress Ollie. Here's a long post about some of the very little known details about the Iran Contra affair, specifically about the never-launched rescue missions to rescue the hostages. The whole thing shows how much of a traitor and piece of poo poo Oliver North is.

Most of it is painstakingly re-typed stuff from The Killer Elite, a book about the Intelligence Support Activity. The ISA is a special mission unit that infiltrates an area and gathers intelligence for other units, such as the SEALs, or Delta Force, before they go on a mission. 

The following passage basically shows that during the Lebanon hostage crisisOliver North inadvertently prolonged the torture of the (original) seven American hostages (as well as the three subsequent hostages), and allowed CIA Chief of Station in Lebanon,  Bill Buckley, to die - all because Oliver North wanted the  weapons-for-hostages deal (Iran-Contra) to go on. 

There were plans from Joint Special Operations command to go in and get the hostages, and at several times the ISA and JSOC had good intel about the whereabouts of the hostages – at one point, their source had a man on the inside in the same drat building. They even drew up plans where Delta Force and the ISA would assault the entire compound they were being held in, and rescue the hostages. They never went ahead with the rescue plans. Here's the backstory, and why:

quote:

By September 1985, seven US citizens were thought to be held by Lebanese-based terrorist groups in either the Southern suburbs of Beruit or the Beka'a Valley. In fact, there were only six. Unbeknownst to the outside world, Bill Buckley [the CIA Chief of Station in Lebanon who was captured by Hezbollah, who was brutally tortured for his CIA secrets] was already dead. Those who remained at that stage were [names of the people]. Early in September, a Special Operations Task Force, commanded by General Carl Stiner and almost certainly including members of the ISA, deployed to the British base at Akrotiri in Cyprus in readiness for a possible hostage rescue. "We had intelligence information indicating that there might be a release of all the hostages," Stiner later recalled. "My orders were to set up a mechanism for their pickup and return to the US. We were also prepared for a rescue operation in case something went wrong." (Smith, 2010, pg. 131-132)

There was no real intelligence. The information that the hostages might be released came from National Security Council where Lt. Colonel Oliver North was directing a complex scheme to supply arms to Iran in exchange for the release of the seven hostages held by Lebanese terrorist groups linked to the regime in Tehran... For the Reagan administration, it removed its biggest problem - the seeming impotence in the face of the terrorists who had kidnapped the so-called "forgotten seven" - while at the same time improving its poor relations with a poor country that was seen as vital in holding back Soviet expansionism [Nicaragua]. " (Smith, 2010 pg 132)

The death of Buckley sparked anger within the American covert operations community. “We at one point were very close to running a rescue operation to get Bill Buckley back,” said Bill Cowan, then a member of the Activity. “I was told by people who would know that we had a very good fix on where he was. We had somebody inside that building who was providing good, credible information. We in fact moved forces into Europe, maybe further, in preparation to rescue Bill Buckley and the operation was cancelled by the White House. Some say by Oliver North. It was canceled shortly before it was going to happen. Those who I’ve spoken with who were in the know say it was canceled because we had a very active program going on, out of the White House, [exchanging] arms for hostages, and the rescue of Bill Buckley might have impacted negatively on that.” (Smith, 2010, pg. 133) 

[…] Robert McFarlane, Reagan’s former national security advisor and a key figure in the so-called “Concept,” the arms for hostages program, secretly visited Tehran with Oliver North for talks with Iranian officials. North’s operations plan for the trip defined the objective as “to secure the return of the four American hostages who continue to be held by Hezbollah elements in Lebanon.” These were now [names of remaining hostages], [Peter] Killburn having been executed in April in retaliation for US air attacks on Libya, which were themselves sparked by the bombing of a Berlin disco in which two American servicemen were killed. (Smith, 2010, pg. 135)

North defined the purpose of “the Concept” as being to “provide incentives for the Government of Iran to intervene with those who hold the American hostages and secure their safe release.” But the talks foundered on Iranian demands that more spare parts and missiles be produced before they release any more hostages. Although there was agreement to continue talking, Admiral John Poindexter, the new national security advisor, and other members of the NSC now believed that the arms-for-hostages negotiations had reached a stalemate. On 31 May, Poindexter wrote a memo to North in which he said “I am beginning to think that we need to seriously think about a rescue effort for the hostages.” North wrote back saying that the Joint Chiefs had “steadfastly refused to go behind the initial thinking stage unless we can develop hard evidence on their whereabouts.” There was already an ISA officer in Beirut preparing the ground for a hostage rescue should it be ordered, North said [to Poindexter]. [Some details about who was there, and their history] The following day, President Reagan approved military planning for a special operations hostage rescue mission and revived the previous plans put together by the Activity. (Smith, 2010, pg. 135)

[Several pages outlining the proposed rescue mission – codenamed Operation/Project Round Bottle]

They (the ISA) were getting their intel from a member of the Christian Mlitia’s (Phalangists) intelligence branch, codenamed Felix. The information was highly reliable and proved accurate hundreds of times over – this information was passed onto the NSA, CIA, etc. It was good stuff. 

A former Activity member said, “They [the Christian Militia] provided us with the exact location of every hostage. They told us where they were being moved to, every location. We were able to verify this by other means. We could have launched the operation and freed the hostages.”

quote:

Meanwhile, the deep flaws in the whole arms-for-hostages operation were being exposed. Having handed over two American hostages, Hezbollah simply kidnapped two more. [Details about those kidnappings, and a subsequent third one]. But astonishingly, Poindexter and North continued with the policy of talking to the Iranians, deciding that a different back channel… would produce better results. The Activity was told to put the hostage rescue mission back on the shelf and to “cease and desist” contacts with the Lebanese Forces. 
[Paragraph about the Israeli’s pushes to keep supplying the Contras, because they wanted Iran stronger against Iraq, whom they feared more.]

But within two weeks, with the arms-for-hostages program falling apartand about to leak to the press, the National Security Council changed its mind yet again and the DCSINT, deputy chief of staff for intelligence, ordered the Activity to reactive the plans for Project Round Bottle. The Felix network had reported that three US hostages were being held in tents and caves in the Beka’a and this appeared to be confirmed by aerial reconnasance. (Smith, 2010, pg. 143-44)

Two ISA operatives had just been sent into Lebanon for the mission when the the order came down once again to pull the plug. “Project Round Bottle was terminated without evaluation of information even though the DCSINT personally requested same,” the secret history of the unit [ISA] for 1986 said. The reason for the second cancelation was that North had visited Frankfurt for talks with [an Iranian official’s nephew], who “assures us he will get two of the three hostages freed within the next few days.”< span> The Iranians insisted that neither [of the two hostages] had been kidnapped by groups under their control, despite all of the intelligence suggesting otherwise. But the whole enterprise was already unraveling. The use of the second back channel through [Iranian official] had left the earlier negotiators furious and they leaked the story out through a small Hezbollah newspaper in Baalbek. Another American hostage, David Jacobsen, was released on 2 November 1986 in exchange for 500 TOW missiles. [Details about the whole affair being aired out] (Smith, 2010, pg. 144)

One senior ISA officer ridiculed the North plan to swap hostages for weapons. “That policy was a great deal for the Iranians. ‘We’ll give you two hostages and we’ll go pick up two more.’< span> It’s an endless source of money. I’d be happy to run an operation like that. You keep paying me something, and I’ll make sure I’ve got plenty of it. Unbelievable. People in the State Department, clearly in the CIA, certainly people who understand terrorism and counterterrorism operations were aghast at the whole thing. It was amateurish at best, absolutely amateurish. It undermined the whole thing. When you are trying to run undercover operations and suddenly you’ve got some crazy operations, by any standards, being run, you’ve lost all credibility with those with whom you’re dealing with.” (Smith, 2010, pg. 144-145)

Not even going into the clearly illegal and arguably unconstitutional nature of North’s or other people in the administration’s actions, but just on the basis of utility, they failed completely. North, at several times, stopped or stalled different rescue operations (one when there were the seven hostages, including Bill Buckley – and one where it was the three hostages), that ended in the death of two American hostages, among others of different nationalities. Bill Buckley was brutally tortured and killed, and Peter Killburn was executed – if rescue operations were launched, it’s likely that both would’ve been safely rescued. And the rest of the hostage’s torture would’ve been ended quicker. 

Suffice it so say that he’s a “My country, right or wrong! America’s never wrong/never makes mistakes,” type of idiot. I do suppose it’s a bit arguable to say that we need people willing to compromise the law/cross the line on our side, but at least when they do it, they should do it well, and it should actually work. Clearly it didn’t in this case. Oliver North’s an idiot.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hell of a U/P combo there

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/michaelavenatti/status/995080945622507520?s=21

And what exactly is Demeter Direct Inc?

Well it looks like it's registered as a Korean food shop:

https://twitter.com/jennagoose/status/995088531134410755?s=21

From the internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170912152409/http://demeterdirect.com/

The webpage is now taken down so..

:thunk:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The American Dad summary of Iran/Contra

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Wouldn't selling arms to Iran meet the definition of "providing aid" to an enemy of the United States?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Wouldn't selling arms to Iran meet the definition of "providing aid" to an enemy of the United States?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SimonCat posted:

I heard there was a bit of a scandal over that. An affair, if you will.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I heard there was a bit of a scandal over that. An affair, if you will.

Yeah something about South American terrorists freedom fighters....

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was under the impression, and your source appears to confirm, that North acted at the behest of the Reagan administration and took the fall for it. You just seem to be placing the blame directly on him, plus if he was acting for the administration I'm not sure that would exactly be treason.

Mostly just splitting hairs when placing the blame cause I'm curious. Noone from that should ever have any sort of leadership role.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
If it was unlawful order he had an obligation under UCMJ to refuse it.

edit: Like the "only following orders" thing kinda went away with the Nuremberg trials.

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 12, 2018

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Don't be a contra opinion.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

North was convicted on 3 felony counts and only had them overturned because his testimony before Congress was so damaging in painting him as a stupid piece of poo poo that he was able to credibly prove the jury already (rightfully) had their minds made up.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

ded posted:

Don't be a contra opinion.

i'd rather be a contrabassoon if im being honest

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

mods change my name posted:

i'd rather be a contrabassoon if im being honest

Nice!

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

psydude posted:

North was convicted on 3 felony counts and only had them overturned because his testimony before Congress was so damaging in painting him as a stupid piece of poo poo that he was able to credibly prove the jury already (rightfully) had their minds made up.

Cant wait until he attacks the ACLU,....the organization that got it overturned. The 80s were wild.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DAS Super! posted:

Cant wait until he attacks the ACLU,....the organization that got it overturned. The 80s were wild.

In the war for the Golden Throne alliances shift rapidly.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

That's the army. Of course they punished the DZNCO who filmed and laughed about a seriously major incident (even if it was loving cool to watch) and then posted it online.

I'm just surprised all he got was an LOR.

Was he charged because he was in on it, or because he hurt their feelings? I mean I already know the answer I guess...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Was he charged because he was in on it, or because he hurt their feelings? I mean I already know the answer I guess...

His conduct was unbecoming of the profession of the non commissioned officer and embarrassing to the United States Army. Furthermore,

Caufman
May 7, 2007

In the war for the Golden Throne alliances poo poo rapidly.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

He hurt their fee fees of course

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

In the war for the Golden Throne alliances shift rapidly.

If I make it to NYC in June, I'm using that throne.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The President is so not-corrupt that he corruptly influenced the DOJ to squash the AT&T Time Warner Merger - Rudy Giuliani

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/995135114630791168

This case is actually in court RIGHT loving NOW and AT&T's initial argument was that the DOJ is being politically interfered with, so DOJ shouldn't be allowed to block the merger.

Both sides are lovely and I hope they somehow both lose, but it's just hilarious how badly Rudy hosed up again.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

The President is so not-corrupt that he corruptly influenced the DOJ to squash the AT&T Time Warner Merger - Rudy Giuliani

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/995135114630791168

This case is actually in court RIGHT loving NOW and AT&T's initial argument was that the DOJ is being politically interfered with, so DOJ shouldn't be allowed to block the merger.

Both sides are lovely and I hope they somehow both lose, but it's just hilarious how badly Rudy hosed up again.

Lawful evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DoktorLoken posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelavenatti/status/995080945622507520?s=21

And what exactly is Demeter Direct Inc?

Well it looks like it's registered as a Korean food shop:

https://twitter.com/jennagoose/status/995088531134410755?s=21

From the internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170912152409/http://demeterdirect.com/

The webpage is now taken down so..

:thunk:

Porn actress pay-offs? Didnt think he liked the Asian girls...

• Locked thread