Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

deong posted:

*Ninjitsu spirit

Ah, thanks for the correction. Another thought I had after watching was that I'd love an Overwatch style game with those characters, but I assume they'll just end up as skins for an Injustice game at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the Superman Animated Series pilot from 20 years ago. When Jor-El explains his plan to save Krypton, he says that he’ll fly to Earth and bring everyone out of the phantom zone. Does that mean his plan was to invade and take over Earth?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't have a link handy, but saw the Death of Superman trailer earlier today. I was excited when I heard they were making a two part movie that was supposedly more faithful to the original story. Unfortunately it looks like garbage like most of the recent DC Animated films. Also doesn't look very much like the original story. No Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, or character find of the '90s Bloodwynd? No sale!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Don't have a link handy, but saw the Death of Superman trailer earlier today. I was excited when I heard they were making a two part movie that was supposedly more faithful to the original story. Unfortunately it looks like garbage like most of the recent DC Animated films. Also doesn't look very much like the original story. No Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, or character find of the '90s Bloodwynd? No sale!

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqTbJEpxqU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean Martian Manhunter is right there in the trailer!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Heavy sigh

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

X-O posted:

I was thrilled when I heard they were doing it, but lost most interest when I saw they were doing the lame New 52 character interpretations

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Disappointed Supergirl isn't in this to get punched so hard it turns her face into putty and traumatizes 10-year old me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Definitely want Matrix supergirl and Redhead Lex, otherwise the characters might be too familiar to people. (Seriously didn't know what was going on in Superman at the time and the weird Lex and Supergirl made me pick up a few comics to catch up).

Doomsday was supposed to be this big, lumbering thing that gave you the impression he could walk through a mountain.

What the gently caress is this poo poo and why does Doomsday look like Jeepers Creepers?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

in the comic he starts out wearing that weird containment suit before his true appearance gets revealed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nodosaur posted:

in the comic he starts out wearing that weird containment suit before his true appearance gets revealed.
Yeah, I know. He was this unknowable thing with one arm free and a bunch of Doc Ock poo poo barely restraining him and he was still wrecking poo poo left and right.

The weird boneface reveal was a pretty awesome moment. They botched both here.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
wow I am getting super fuckin tired of the Young Justice school of art design

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

FilthyImp posted:

Definitely want Matrix supergirl and Redhead Lex, otherwise the characters might be too familiar to people. (Seriously didn't know what was going on in Superman at the time and the weird Lex and Supergirl made me pick up a few comics to catch up).

Doomsday was supposed to be this big, lumbering thing that gave you the impression he could walk through a mountain.

What the gently caress is this poo poo and why does Doomsday look like Jeepers Creepers?

Pretty sure I had that Blackberry twelve years ago

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Maybe the animation takes place in the 90s and they play it as futuristic tech

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How else would you explain the mullet
I didn't watch the trailer the mullet is in right

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thompsons posted:

wow I am getting super fuckin tired of the Young Justice school of art design

Yeah, it's a fairly boring artstyle to look at, and then it doesn't really animate all that well. All those chiseled faces don't really convey much emotion either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Calaveron posted:

How else would you explain the mullet
I didn't watch the trailer the mullet is in right

He doesn't have the mullet, but he didn't get the hockey hair until coming back to life in the comics.

I'm mostly pissed they're still using the dumb high collar and no underoos outfit, I was hoping the comics bringing back the old uniform would extend to the animation wing.

Edit: Also I hate that entire animation style. I understand not using the Timm/Dini style, since that's what the last adaptation used, but I pray they eventually switch to something else, even something that's closer to the Jim Lee esque art that was the New 52 house style for the first few years of New 52.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 12, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

It looks like this will have the same sequence as the 2007 movie where Superman knocks Doomsday into the atmosphere and than spikes him back down into the city like a comet for some reason instead of just launching him out into space.

Was that even in the original comic? It always seemed like an extremely dumb move by Supes if his goal was to prevent more destruction to Metropolis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

It looks like this will have the same sequence as the 2007 movie where Superman knocks Doomsday into the atmosphere and than spikes him back down into the city like a comet for some reason instead of just launching him out into space.

Was that even in the original comic? It always seemed like an extremely dumb move by Supes if his goal was to prevent more destruction to Metropolis.

In the comic Superman tries to drag him into space and Doomsday stabs him with a bone spur and escapes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vakal posted:

Actually, he does (kind of).

After the initial JL beatdown, Supes tries mostly to slow/redirect Doomsday with stuff like dropping cars on him or Inazuma Kicking him from height. When they enter Metropolis, Superman piledrives Doomsday upwards, but then the big oaf twists free and kicks him away, crashing into a construction project and giving Steel an origin excuse.

After that it's the slugfest when Supes realizes there's no way to reason with him other than putting him down.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

After that it's the slugfest when Supes realizes there's no way to reason with him other than putting him down.

On that note, is it just accepted knowledge that Doomsday is the DC version of the Hulk with the serial numbers filed off?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

On that note, is it just accepted knowledge that Doomsday is the DC version of the Hulk with the serial numbers filed off?

Pretty much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dont think doomsday is a good guy tho

Like, ever

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't think that's a good comparison.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

I dont think doomsday is a good guy tho

Like, ever

Sure he was.

In a Chuck Austen story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who did that story where Doomsday came back (again) and his adaptation this time was that he'd developed intelligence, but it meant that he was weaker than before because now he could comprehend and experience fear?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jeph Loeb did. In fact it happened during this fifth week crossover Joker story (The Last Laugh.)

So it was a Jokerized Doomsday who had come back to life after being vaporized by Imperex in the Jeph Loeb's crossover Superman story Our Worlds At War.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel bad for characters like Doomsday that were clearly only ever meant to appear once. I'm pretty sure he's only ever been in like 1 good story ever. See also: Bane.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I feel bad for characters like Doomsday that were clearly only ever meant to appear once. I'm pretty sure he's only ever been in like 1 good story ever. See also: Bane.

At least Bane has the potential to be good, since he's established to be smart and have a whole backstory in addition to having the venom thing going. Doomsday is just... Doomsday. I mean I've read his stupid retconned-in history on Wikipedia but everybody knows he only ever existed to kill Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New pic of YJ S3

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New pic of YJ S3

Alright so, Artemis, Static?, Supes, and Nightwing, cool.

The gently caress are all these other jokers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's Black Lightning, not Static.

The rest are Katana, Geo-Force (maybe?), uhhhh Parademon or Bug? no idea, and Metamorpho

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That one is Black Lighting I believe.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Artemis is staying as Tigress? That looks like Black Lightning instead of Static. Katana on the far right. Young Metamorpho? Dunno the rest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This reads more as the Outsiders than Young Justice.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bold strategy to see Gambit joining DC.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Meanwhile, on the other end of the DC Nation spectrum

https://twitter.com/Giancarlo_Volpe/status/995871069939548160

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

This reads more as the Outsiders than Young Justice.

Well, the season is officially titled Young Justice: Outsiders.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't see the young in all those straight-up adults, and I don't see the justice in renewing a show that went real bad in the second season.

Deep down inside me I still blame Greg Weisman and whatever deal with the devil he made for everything going impossibly wrong in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TheHan posted:

Disappointed Supergirl isn't in this to get punched so hard it turns her face into putty and traumatizes 10-year old me.

Glad I wasn't the only one.