Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

hes never going to finish his 1st army

Yeah but neither are the rest of us so I can't really judge him for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I keep telling my wife I’m almost done buying more Blood Angels and yet I always seem to think of something new I want to buy. It turns out I actually really need a second Stormraven/More hellblasters/Agressors/more Death Company...

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Booley posted:

I've finished four armies in one year, including totally stripping and repainting two.

E: It's also my first year in the hobby.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Booley posted:

Let he who has finished his first army cast the first stone.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

I've finished four armies in one year, including totally stripping and repainting two.

"finished"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
finished as in having a painted army of whatever the current standard points limit is

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

finished as in having a painted army of whatever the current standard points limit is

Look, I’m getting there OK

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Thanqol posted:

How have you not totally burned out?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
2k points of fully assembled, painted and based minis in a cohesive force that has been played at least once is my definition of a finished army. Stuff like a diorama board, matching dice, personalized faction t-shirt and lovely chaos god tattoos are completely optional.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Booley posted:

"finished"

2,800 points of Eldar, 4,000 points of AdMech, 4,000 points of Death Guard, and 1,800 points of Primaris. They're all done. If I do more of any of them they'll be in a completely new colour scheme.

Ya'll are just lazy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanqol posted:

2,800 points of Eldar, 4,000 points of AdMech, 4,000 points of Death Guard, and 1,800 points of Primaris. They're all done. If I do more of any of them they'll be in a completely new colour scheme.

Ya'll are just lazy.

how the gently caress

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Ya'll are just lazy.

Post your mans. I’ve got to see this

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Ya'll are just lazy.

I've painted 10000 points of blood angels and around 3000 points of knights, custodes, and fists over the last year. None of those armies are done. Please don't call me lazy.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
he paints real good too. prepare to be dismayed you nerds

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

panascope posted:

How have you not totally burned out?

I just enjoy it, man. I do 2-5 hours every night, and more on weekends and I find it profoundly relaxing to do.

I did digital art for seven years before them at a similar level of output and started to burn out on that a bit after 5-6 years, but minis painting has cut through all the mental hangups I was developing with digital art.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

I just enjoy it, man. I do 2-5 hours every night, and more on weekends and I find it profoundly relaxing to do.

I did digital art for seven years before them at a similar level of output and started to burn out on that a bit after 5-6 years, but minis painting has cut through all the mental hangups I was developing with digital art.

As the parent of a two year old I literally cannot comprehend having that amount of free time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Minus breaks from 2nd to 5th to 8th editions I've been working on my Tyranid army for probably three to four years cumulatively. I am a shameful ham.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Badablack posted:

lovely chaos god tattoos are completely optional.

Hey!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Booley posted:

I think my Space Marines are getting close to that... Full 1st, 3rd, and 10th Companies, with vehicle support. Not sure anymore about how much of it is painted.

Thanqol posted:

Thanqol posted:

Ya'll are just lazy.

This guy I like. You thread nerds need to get more of him and less of the Doc Thunder types. Curate, people. Send out flyers or something.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Pendent posted:

Post your mans. I’ve got to see this

Can do.

AdMech:

This is my 'first' army. The only thing I did before these guys was the Dark Imperium starter set, just to learn the basics of minis painting. I did this as my armies on parade board, not pictured as part of this force are 5 custodes, 3 custodes terminators, 10 stormtroopers, greyfax, 5 sisters of silence.

This took me like 3-4 months.

Eldar:

After doing all that AdMech I was feeling the strain on my wallet so I decided I was going to try slowing down my painting and go crazy with the freehand. Also learned some basic conversioning.

I somehow forgot to take a picture of the finished Wraithknight even though it won second place at golden brush.

Death Guard

These are stripped and repainted from my DI test set.

Not pictured: Mortarion, 100 poxwalkers, 6 Harlequins, Lord of Change I accidentally finished in the process of doing this

Sons of Horus

This is my second repaint job. This isn't the complete set of dudes I've done, I've got a bunch waiting for a final round of highlights and basing but I'm on vacation right now.

Keep in mind I purchased my first mini ever on 16/6/2017.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You are a rad dude!

Edit:

Ima do some color fixes on my Dreadnoughts tomorrow. Fix some saturation issues.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 12, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanqol posted:

I hate you

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I hate yeah, kinda hate you

But well done!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
This page? This is a good page.

I am inspired to get my poo poo painted more. Can't let the new blood bring shame on the rest of us.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Thanqol posted:

:vince:

Forget the whole thread being mad at bad posters, here we come to froth with jealous rage.

Nice work dude.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Thanqol posted:

This had been me. An audio book (appropriately enough it's been Horus Heresy recently) and painting is the best way to relax.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's wrong with low hanging fruit?

Alternatively Knights.

Nothing, though I was tempted to do something with ad mech also.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Mef989 posted:

Follow up question to this Leman Russ chat, what turret is better for tank commanders, assuming that you will be bringing normal Russes too? Do you stick Punishers on commanders and leave Battle Cannons on the regular ones, visa versa, or does it really matter?

The Punisher can work, but I'd go with the Executioner with Plasma sponsons and a hull lascannon. It's pricey, but it will spit death at whatever comes within 36" of it. You could make a case for multi-melta sponsons on a punisher tank commander as it's gonna be in 24" range anyways, but I probably wouldn't.

Two Beans posted:

It is for NOVA. I'm picking units that either A) show off my madd modeling skillz or B) worked for me back in 2nd/3rd ed so I'm guessing they prolly work similar in 8th since that's all I have to go on experience-wise.

Mutilators, for instance, I have no clue how good they are. But I do know that if I take three Tartaros, clip their hands off and attach wicked blades and greenstuff flames then I got some ill lookin' dudes that no one else has.

Havoks vs Preditor, this is a case of "I ran havoks in the old days and they wrecked poo poo, and I'm used to tanks getting popped open 1st turn." This might be no longer the case in 8th for all I know. I'm not opposed to running a Pred, in fact I've already marked the Deimos Pred from FW as a future purchase.

I appreciate the feedback. Any advice I can get is a big help since all I got is "what looks cool? what worked in the past?" while I build an army from scratch in 8 months time.

My bad, bruh. This app is fuckedy and the options menus make no sense.

1st turn kills got nerfed big time with the FAQ. At NOVA there will be plenty of LOS blocking terrain, so keeping a smaller tank like a pred out of view won't be too hard to do.

I think you've siad you're a DC area goon, so let me know if you want to try out some units in a game. I'm always down to slam some hams.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thanqol posted:

Thank you. Inspiration like this makes me want to hate myself even more.

I'm going to go paint something now.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
As a slow and lovely painter, thanks for killing what little will I could manage to actually try and finish stuff.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I...I think I've come to the end of stuff to buy, ladies and gents. I have tons of plastic to paint up, sure, but don't think anyone could realistically jump on anything else. I have or have a way to kitbash every last Necron and Tyranid unit I care about.

This feeling has no name.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
There probably is a word for it but uttering it near any GW employee would make them shriek and shrivel up into dust.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I...I think I've come to the end of stuff to buy, ladies and gents. I have tons of plastic to paint up, sure, but don't think anyone could realistically jump on anything else. I have or have a way to kitbash every last Necron and Tyranid unit I care about.

This feeling has no name.

It's probably a German word made up of six or seven other words.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've got a line on 11 Reaver jetbike helmets. What is a fair price I should offer this dude?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying out Reivers for the first time tomorrow.

Battalion detachment
Primaris Librarian (unsure on abilities)
2x lieutenants
5x intercessors
6x intercessors, both squads have bolt rifles (got a free Intercessor at the GW store last week, turns out they just give away one model per customer)
5x Scout snipers with cloaks
3x Inceptors with assault bolters

Vanguard detachment
Captain Lysander
3x Aggressors with bolters
1x Ironclad Dread, chainfist/hurricane bolter, 2x hunter killers
5x Reivers with knives and grapnels (considering grav chutes, depends on the table I get)
1x Devastator squad with 4 missile launchers, 2 extra Marines for fodder, armor cherub

Not much armor, but I'm trying to have a bit more counter attacking ability and more targets. Also I'm just experimenting with new units.

Is my balance ok or really off? I'm not experienced enough to tell

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm trying out Reivers for the first time tomorrow.

Battalion detachment
Primaris Librarian (unsure on abilities)
2x lieutenants
5x intercessors
6x intercessors, both squads have bolt rifles (got a free Intercessor at the GW store last week, turns out they just give away one model per customer)
5x Scout snipers with cloaks
3x Inceptors with assault bolters

Vanguard detachment
Captain Lysander
3x Aggressors with bolters
1x Ironclad Dread, chainfist/hurricane bolter, 2x hunter killers
5x Reivers with knives and grapnels (considering grav chutes, depends on the table I get)
1x Devastator squad with 4 missile launchers, 2 extra Marines for fodder, armor cherub

Not much armor, but I'm trying to have a bit more counter attacking ability and more targets. Also I'm just experimenting with new units.

Is my balance ok or really off? I'm not experienced enough to tell

I don't know how many points you're at, but you're distinctly lacking in anti-tank. Lysander may also not be your best choice, it doesn't look like you're using him as anything more than a reroll caddy and maybe some countercharge, which you can do about as well with a barebones captain.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Thanqol posted:

Yup, this is really drat impressive and makes me want to unearth my Nids.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I don't know how many points you're at, but you're distinctly lacking in anti-tank. Lysander may also not be your best choice, it doesn't look like you're using him as anything more than a reroll caddy and maybe some countercharge, which you can do about as well with a barebones captain.

My thought process with Lysander was a follow up to the Inceptors deep striking, give them re-rolls and hope either group rolls an 8 on charge.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

My thought process with Lysander was a follow up to the Inceptors deep striking, give them re-rolls and hope either group rolls an 8 on charge.

Well for one they need a 9 on the charge, and for two the inceptors are probably better used dropping at 18 and trying to get multiple rounds of shooting off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Love a Thanqol image dump. The hilarious thing is that his Ad Mech are "good for a first-timer" and then like six months later the Death Guard are light years ahead of them in every way. I guess a strict regimen of painting 10,000pts of models in 12 months will do that to you.

Re: finishing armies, Chirurgeon and I discussed this upthread a bit. For me I paint an army per faction, so my Space Marines are Crimson Fists and I paint everything for them in that scheme and they're all coherent in that way, so I've ended up with like 12,000pts of them with no end in sight. That said I can field 1500-2k of just about anything with them, so from that point of view I have a finished army. The other approach is painting discrete blocks of stuff - so Chirurgeon has a World Eaters army, and a Death Guard, and an Emperor's Children etc. (I can't remember if these are exactly right, sorry dude). Each of those is "finished" at like 2k-3k points, but the overall "Chaos" faction is still growing.

I think either's a reasonable approach. I have a couple of armies which ended up being extravagantly large (Space Marines, Guard), others which I'm regularly playing competitively which will expand to give me options (Dark Eldar, probably Necrons and a couple of others in future) and then stuff which is a fun project bought primarily for the cool toys which will end up existing at around the 2.5-4k mark and not getting added to much once I'm finished painting the first wave of stuff.

I'd be curious to know what the points value of all the stuff I own is, but it's probably a scary number and I can't be bothered adding it up.