Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

...and the pitch! posted:

There's plenty of music made by people of color that is specifically designed to have broad appeal.

I think the real problem you have is it hurts your widdle feelings that people out there criticize white people. But you feel free to criticize them for not living up to your standard. The standard where everyone pretends things are fine.

Please tell me more about my feelings, gbs superstar. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

MR. LAMBORGHIiNi LEGLOCK

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Please tell me more about my feelings, gbs superstar. :allears:

Oh OK. Why do you care if there's a song you don't like when there's plenty of other music to choose from?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

whats with the canon point and shoot thing in your redtext, if your name is hasselblad :confused:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

I would prefer rap wasn't doing it. I would rather the community got back to making feels-good groovy music like from the 60s and 70s, unashamed that white people might like it as well. More Marvin Gaye and Dobie Gray. Less garbage.

I almost feel bad that many who listen to todays trash are not experiencing the awesome music created in the past. (this goes for most all that is being produced today, not just rap)

aw poor baby if only all cool music people talked about was created specially for you

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
I seen better wraps on gyros.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This is the only "America" song you should need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4difPEQ8wA4

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

one of gambinos underground hits, notice the well known jim crow era sitting on a couch pose, deep stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25tkxg5Vws

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FLäMBōYäNT FLäMiNGō

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I don't know anything about the genre, but this has got to be one of the most haunting music videos ever.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What's haunting about it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

What's haunting about it
Everyone in it was murdered shortly after filming.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Well as an 'american' it looks to be a disgustingly accurate artistic portrayal of almost everything wrong with the country. Also if you look at it literally, the main character is a dude who kills a bunch of helpless people and dances.

Personally it's just something that ends up sitting in the back of my mind- there's no way I could escape thinking about it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Fartbox posted:

Turkey is clearly first world and Ankara, the capital, is pretty nice

Parts of Turkey are basically first world and nice yes, but other parts are really really really crummy.
I mean do you consider Mexico first world? Because that's the ballpark Turkey is in.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

I would prefer rap wasn't doing it. I would rather the community got back to making feels-good groovy music like from the 60s and 70s, unashamed that white people might like it as well. More Marvin Gaye and Dobie Gray. Less garbage.

Are you serious with this poo poo.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard said about music in like a decade maybe.

Grape fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 12, 2018

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Grape posted:

Are you serious with this poo poo.
The irony of such a comment in response to a video depicting the violently corrosive nature of white-appeasing cultural ideals is unfortunately too strong for that to have been a joke.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Even if it's trolling, there're still a lot of Megan Kellys out there. Too many.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I mean literally it was "Why can't the blacks be smiling and dancing for my enjoyment using nice white friendly melodies (and less savage jungle rhythm) like they used to?".

And that's not even getting into just the plain staggering bad taste of it. Which is far more offensive.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dude probably longs for the days of minstrel shows.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

smh at the people peddling these disgusting lies

turkey has never existed and there is no credible evidence to support this wild fantasy land notion, the myth of turkey is a centuries old psyop by the knights templar in coordination with freemasonry and the bavarian/austrian illuminati

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dude probably longs for the days of minstrel shows.

Imagine having that opinion of hip-hop (and apparently all other black music post-70's) in the year of our lord 2018.
In a time where even country music is name dropping hip hop stuff via Bro Country.

I'm not even sure I can call it a super white take, it's more like the opinion of a racist martian or something.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i dont feel like its a super hot to take to prefer motown to the modern form of rap where it’s just really brief phrases spit kind of disjointed a la future

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Blue Raider posted:

i dont feel like its a super hot to take to prefer motown to the modern form of rap where it’s just really brief phrases spit kind of disjointed a la future

Someone lamenting current rap would have shifted to talking about old school/golden age rap or something like that.
Not Motown, while phrasing it like everything went wrong after it.

It's a supremely scorching hot take direct from what can only be a moon-man.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i thought this song was cool, most political hip hop is rambling rhyming corny messages but this one has kind of a reductive lyrical style which I enjoy more than public enemy style wordy joseph farrakhan style rants

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Brother Ali is better.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hasselblad posted:

Holy poo poo...

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ProperCoochie posted:

I gave the video a few plays. It's a decent song and an entertaining video. But it seems like it's more spectacle than substance. Hearing the song without the radical and violent video reveals how "safe" and "middle of the road" it actually is--hooks safe for the dancefloor, namedropping gucci. I can't really see anyone over the age of 25 gassing up the song, acting like it's some sort of game changer, expecting people to become WOKE AF from its message. Funny that right under the video is a promotion for his Madison Square Garden show. Gotta wonder how much this rich celebrity will be helping the abused and downtrodden afford his tickets. That's a silly point, but all the hype around this song feels unwarranted.

If I want rap confronting America's insane racial issues, I want something that goes loving hard. Here's a legitimately amazing song by real and talented rappers. Every verse is like a freight train of truth smashing into your loving forehead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fabi8nyjsYc

Sums up how I feel exactly

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A second black Yale University student has alleged that the same white student whom officers admonished this week for reporting a black student asleep in a dorm common room called police months ago to report his presence in the building.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/us/yale-second-black-student-sarah-braasch/index.html

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
i like how scared everyone is

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Oh OK. Why do you care if there's a song you don't like when there's plenty of other music to choose from?

Because this here thread is about a song.
:wtc:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
im racist

im afraid of people

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Blue Raider posted:

No see, that is clearly you wanting minstrel shows and are a racist or whatever Grape and his friend pitch are blabering about. I am a horrible person for prefering soul over the poo poo being produced these days.

lol one of these goofballs were triggered enough to toss $10 at lowtax.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lime Tonics posted:

A second black Yale University student has alleged that the same white student whom officers admonished this week for reporting a black student asleep in a dorm common room called police months ago to report his presence in the building.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/us/yale-second-black-student-sarah-braasch/index.html

No, you see,

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

No see, that is clearly you wanting minstrel shows and are a racist or whatever Grape and his friend pitch are blabering about. I am a horrible person for prefering soul over the poo poo being produced these days.

lol one of these goofballs were triggered enough to toss $10 at lowtax.

there is still tons of rhythm and blues and soul being made nowadays, if you actually cared you would be listening to it instead of writing weird statements about what you think black people should do with their time and creativity

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I think black people should all give me kisses and have a groovy time otherwise

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I prefer Eric Andre shooting Hannibal Buress to Childish Gambino shooting a nameless person, and the memes are better, too.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I found the perfect black artist for forums poster Hasselblad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIaj7FNHnjQ

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Moridin920 posted:

Hey so like

for real this garbage

just the worst capitalist shilling stereotype pumping bullshit OP

just awful
:ironicat:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
white opinions: don glover got a real thavius beck look going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Sleeping in the common room and using a charcoal grill in the wrong area, very important issues that demand vigilance and immediate action with the full force of authority that... wait, why aren't you pigs doing your jobs? Arrest them! This is chaos! Municipal order #3654 clearly states...

• Locked thread