Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

I'm extremely amped, as Gilliam is one of my favorite Banpresto Originals and the events of Hero Senki are actually canon to OG Gilliam and hugely important to the plot of OG2.

His appearance in 4 and F/FF are also canon but I haven't managed to play these games either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Isn't every game Gilliam has ever been in canon to OG Gilliam?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Isn't every game Gilliam has ever been in canon to OG Gilliam?

Yeah, I was just adding to the list.

In other news I got my copy of SRW X, with bonus early Cybuster, and I'm gonna play this for the next few hours.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

It gets one upgrade 30+ stages into the game that adds a decent P attack to it that is roughly as powerful as the Twin Beam Saber attack the G-Self starts with.

Yeah it's not a great unit.

I thought as much. A shame as I like the design. Ah well, this game has an abundance of cool and useful units so no big loss.

Really enjoying the game though. It's convinced me to finally watch G-Reco now that I've seen the units in action. Hopefully it's not another case of super robot wars being better than the source material.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I just wish there was a crossbone Gundam for every non-newtype. Maybe next time I’ll take a break from Klim and put Aida in the Crossbone :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man, that old-school anime cutscene when Wataru summons Ryujinmaru. That was great.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
The G-Self's 50% bonus gives it hella EN, think it shoots up to 450 between 5 pips in EN and the custom bonus. No regrets snagging it early, plus the animations are gorgeous as well. I rush 50% upgrades on characters I like/mecha I know will upgrade. A mix of meta-gaming and favoritism, which I feel is in the spirit of the game.

edit: 150 EN +1 Movement

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 11, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Conversely, I played X from an economic perspective and maxed the crap out of the Dunbine right off the bat so it could spawn a maxed-out Billbine on stage 12, followed by a max-out Sirbine later down the line. Having 3 fully usable maxed out Aura Battlers for the price of 1 is a good deal. Then I did the same thing with the Nu -> Hi-Nu.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Oh I made sure to have Dunbine 50%'d at least. God drat champion.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, but they shouldn't be something you tackle immediately, wait until you have a good cashflow. I haven't played X yet though, so I'm not sure if it's nice on the money front (though it's a modern SRW, so I can imagine it is).

At the very least, I read that Heero and Wing Zero still have the exact same ace bonus and FUB as in Z2-2 and I can only imagine that's just as good as in that game. Zero System-boosted Rolling Buster Rifle was so much fun.

most of the op z returnees have been nerfed, though it's most noticable with kallen

though she's kallen so she's just gone from "unstoppable engine of death" to "pretty good"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yinlock posted:

most of the op z returnees have been nerfed, though it's most noticable with kallen

though she's kallen so she's just gone from "unstoppable engine of death" to "pretty good"

Yeah regardless of anything else she still has a post-move area attack thats really easy to hit a lot of people with

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I like the old ground based KMFs so much more than the the air based ones. I have to go all the way back to Z2 if I want to see them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
As a fan of Wing TV mobile suits, I know that feeling very well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's the curse of multi-season shows. It's way more flexible to just throw in post-plot Code Geass R2 or Endless Waltz or the 00 movie because you aren't obligated to do canon storylines for the robots.

We've had the S1 00 suits in a grand total of one game, just like the Code Geass S1 KMFs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

It's the curse of multi-season shows. It's way more flexible to just throw in post-plot Code Geass R2 or Endless Waltz or the 00 movie because you aren't obligated to do canon storylines for the robots.

We've had the S1 00 suits in a grand total of one game, just like the Code Geass S1 KMFs.

The thing I'm sad about is that they haven't gone in on making the older suits they have animations for secrets or something, like they did Buster and Duel that one time.

It'd be neat to just give players the option to go all Black Getter if they want.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What are the UC suits worth using?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of Wing MSs, my favorite animation ever for them is the original Wing’s buster rifle one just after it transforms from bird mode and looks sinister as hell, even though it has nothing to do with the actual attack. I wish that would make a comeback someday.

The new Altron Gundam double dragon fang animation is the closest thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Counting the G-Reco units?

G-Self is really strong and gets insane once it gets Perfect Pack
ZZ Gundam/Full Armor-ZZ Gundam is an energy hog but pretty darn effective. Judau is required for its best attack though
Nu Gundam is a solid all-around unit, but requires you to use Amuro as the pilot for maximum effectiveness. Hi-Nu is a great choice to give to a Newtype pilot you want to use.
Nightengale is amazing if you get it. Solid MAP weapon and overall good damage. Sazabi is pretty solid too.
Dahack basically can be thrown into a pack of enemies and buzzsaw them while having effectively near-infinite energy. It's probably the best unit to give to a non-Newtype pilot you want to use. (Klim Nick is probably top of the list here.)
Gaitrash basically is unkillable if you want something heavily defensive though it comes so late in the game that it's pretty limited.
G-Lucifer is overall a solid support unit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Senerio posted:

Absolute Top Class:
-G-Self/Perfect G-Self(hugely powerful, insane amounts of EN, giant MAP once you get the perfect pack)
-ZZ/Full Armor ZZ(hugely powerful, two lives once you get the full armor, giant MAP, can be used by anyone well but requires Judau for max potential)
-Nightingale(hugely powerful, incredible range, fantastic MAP that doesn't hit allies, can put any newtype you want in here)
-X1 Kai/X1 Full Cloth(lacks a MAP but custom bonus makes it functionally ignore all barriers and can easily be made to crit every attack, making it insane at single target damage; Klim loves this thing due to the crit bonus from genius)

Really Goddamn Good:
-Hi-Nu(sort of like a less good nightingale, which is much like being the poorest billionaire)
-Nu(Amuro only for max power but kicks the poo poo out of things really well)
-Sazabi(like a slightly less good Nu Gundam that can be used by any newtype)
-Dahack(like a slightly less good X1 Full Cloth, also doesn't require a newtype to reach full potential)
-G-Lucifer(fantastic grunt sweeper and crewed by two support pilots, meaning you get support spells on a unit that can fight competently out of the box)

Pretty Decent:
-Zeta(effectively Kamille only but a solid enough unit with him in it)
-F91(VSBR is a hella good sniping attack and the counter property makes it good on the enemy phase, Limiter Release is a solid finisher but needs a strong newtype)

Aside from Nightingale all of these are stuff you get naturally. There's a bunch of other UC-pilotable secret suits but almost all of them come ludicrously late and some require commitments to specific routes.

One important thing to note that I noticed and I wonder if it's a bug; the Custom Bonuses of the Amuro/Char suits(Sazabi, Nightingale, Nu, Hi Nu) give you bonus damage on your NT attacks based on your level of Newtype, but Artificial Newtypes(such as Mashymre) don't appear to trigger this bonus, making them suboptimal picks for the Amuro/Char suits.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 12, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

important to note that for canon reasons Hi-Nu's funnels use energy instead of ammo, so you can't just slap the hyper reloader on it and watch it counter everything on the map like you can with the nu

it took me like 10 missions to notice this

e: you can still counter everything on the map since it only uses 20 en and has hella range, of course, but eventually it's going to actually run out of energy so just keep that in mind

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 12, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished my first run-through, went all super route because duh, it was fun. Iori owns, Wataru owns, heroes own.

only secret pilots I didn't get were rockpie(because i didn't realize g-lucifer was actually good and missed the insanely specific requirement for him as a result) and glemy(because i was super-route only, and also gently caress glemy why would you ever want to save him)

also another note on Wataru's durability: he is actually insanely durable, especially once you ace him. give him Break Morale Limit/Fighter's Spirit(which should be +3 on every character you use anyway) and watch as he morphs on turn 1 and becomes nearly unstoppable thanks to Savior/Hero/Potential

direct boss attacks will still rough him up of course but he can actually take a couple hits unaided from them

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 12, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Hi-Nu has no Amuro only attacks?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Hi-Nu has no Amuro only attacks?

Correct.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Kamille crashes the Zeta into people so its a top tier unit based on the cut in he had in V.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

Kamille crashes the Zeta into people so its a top tier unit based on the cut in he had in V.

i like how multiple bosses note that the zeta is powered by ghosts and how insane that is

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Pretty old, but anybody played the PS3 Masoukishin games?

Decided to pick up a copy of http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Masou_Kishin_F

and wondering if there's anything significantly different to know about them compared to the regular and OG games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Chapter 28 of SRWX on Expert mode is a pretty fun map.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
So if you don't use the DLC code when do you get Masaki and Cybuster?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You get it at a little over halfway through the game, around when it would get upgraded if you had it from the preorder.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RoyalScion posted:

Pretty old, but anybody played the PS3 Masoukishin games?

Decided to pick up a copy of http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Masou_Kishin_F

and wondering if there's anything significantly different to know about them compared to the regular and OG games.

There's a bunch of mechanical subsystems that SRW doesn't do in some of the Masoukishin games, like levelling up your moves by using them and I think the direction a guy is facing matters, they take more damage and are easier to hit from behind and stuff like that. There's also Zone of Control which means your units are blocked by certain unit's little, uh, control zones.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The one that jumps out to me is elemental affinity. Your Water dudes can really gently caress up some Fire dudes. Not sure if it's in the newer ones, but I think the original had rules for terrain elevation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Masoukishin games also have a third resource on top of HP and EN called Prana(usually PR), which is generally used for more powerful moves. The key with Prana is that your unit generally suffers a performance penalty based on how much of your prana is missing, so you need to be fairly careful about how and when you spend it lest you accidentally turn yourself from hero to zero prematurely.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also wonkysoft damage formulas.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"It's all ogre! Dongoro beeeaaaaaammm!"

God bless the people who did the translation work this time around.

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

"It's all ogre! Dongoro beeeaaaaaammm!"

*wipes giant sweat drop off forehead with Shrek-branded moist towelette*

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

going through amari's story and it is uh...rough in comparison

everyone is suddenly a creeper and there's not nearly enough karate

e: her 2nd theme does kick all kinds of rear end though, so even if her story is bad there is that to comfort me

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 14, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

There seems to be a small minority of people who think it's too memey or "overtranslated", which drives me nuts.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kanos posted:

There seems to be a small minority of people who think it's too memey or "overtranslated", which drives me nuts.

I kinda figured it was equally memey in the original Japanese, given what a nerdy fantasy crossover stuff tends to be. Localization just turns that into western memes instead. :v:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've a question, since Googling doesn't help - when and how is the decision about the Protagonist's robot made (in SRWV)? Does it tell you what you're choosing, allow to see what you get and back off? Can you save beforehand and just revert to the save after checking out the new robot? As far as I can tell, you choose either Real or Super version of it, but what are the differences? Is it a choice akin choosing between Angelg and Laz Angriff, or more like Armor + 500/Mobility + 100?

I ask becasue I think I'll play the game twice (for Platinum and challenges) and I'd like to choose different options, but how different they really are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Kitfox88 posted:

I kinda figured it was equally memey in the original Japanese, given what a nerdy fantasy crossover stuff tends to be. Localization just turns that into western memes instead. :v:
Yeah, this is a pretty common sticking point in the JP versions too. If you check amazon reviews, game catalog or other places you'll often find mention of how hit-and-miss the nerd jokes can be sometimes.

See also: this page outlining every dumb pop-culture reference in Original Generations.

• Locked thread