Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
bought an RX-78-02 HG and a Shiden for my first kits since G Gundam kits were new and have subsequently ordered $200 of Zeon suits. I think I have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
when using these types of gundam markers do i need to clean the tip off after use?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apprentice Dick posted:

bought an RX-78-02 HG and a Shiden for my first kits since G Gundam kits were new and have subsequently ordered $200 of Zeon suits. I think I have a problem.

Welcome to the cool kids club it’s rad as gently caress in here

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apprentice Dick posted:

Those are some pretty good starting kits. What Zeon suits you looking at?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Those are some pretty good starting kits. What Zeon suits you looking at?

Mostly origin line, though a couple unicorn suits as well. I figured from reading the thread that the newer suits are generally better.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Kuvo posted:

when using these types of gundam markers do i need to clean the tip off after use?

They're just paint pens so keep them stored tip down and they should be good. If they get cross contaminated with other colours just clean them on a sheet of a4 until it goes away.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

1/100 Base Jabber confirmed so your MG Jegan doesn't have to walk everywhere.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/995119965995876353?s=19

While it's marked as confirmed for production, it's only listed as 1/100 so I guess they haven't decided if it's RE or MG yet. Though either way my money is on it being a P-Bandai release.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

RillAkBea posted:

Yup, the Japanese says non-posable display model.

Christ though, for 10,000 yen I think I'd rather have a go at mocking up my own.

I was on board, even at that price, until I saw this :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

1/100 Base Jabber confirmed so your MG Jegan doesn't have to walk everywhere.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/995119965995876353?s=19

While it's marked as confirmed for production, it's only listed as 1/100 so I guess they haven't decided if it's RE or MG yet. Though either way my money is on it being a P-Bandai release.

I'd think a RE would likely be mass release. I mean, REs tend to be for pretty unpopular models to begin with, and there's still only a couple totally new mold kits that are P-Bandai exclusive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone else here hate the fact that the RE 100 line exists, would much rather have the models in it just be HG kits

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else here hate the fact that the RE 100 line exists, would much rather have the models in it just be HG kits

You can get an HG Base Jabber :ssh:.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

yeah don't most RE100 kits exist as HGs, excepting the Nightingale?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

yeah don't most RE100 kits exist as HGs, excepting the Nightingale?

Just the Bawoo and the Efreet Custom. And the Efreet Custom is a P Bandai.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Just the Bawoo and the Efreet Custom. And the Efreet Custom is a P Bandai.

I could have sworn there was an HG Dijeh. Shows what I know i guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

I could have sworn there was an HG Dijeh. Shows what I know i guess.

There IS an old 1/144 kit. Way pre-HG, but I can see memory conflating them.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The RE/100 EXAM Efreet predates the HG flavors by like a year and I think the only HG release that isn't P-Bandai is the Schneid.

I hope there's a RE/100 Rick Dijeh :getin:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Games Workshop is gonna announce their new Titan game tomorrow, but a dude took some cell phone pics from outside the room. That terrain looks like it could be pretty good for Gunpla dioramas

I can't wait for it to be incredibly overpriced, ugly crap, like everything else GW make.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't wait for it to be incredibly overpriced, ugly crap, like everything else GW make.

I think it looks pretty cool. But yeah, it's gonna be dumb expensive

xtothez posted:

It's here!

Initial release around September August as a boxed game with 6 knights and 2 Warlords, followed by Reavers a month later then Warhounds around xmas.
Buildings are multipart modular plastics, will come i single and multi sprue packs. All of the titans have had three sets of shoulder armor made. Titanicus logo, eye of horus and blank, for freehanding.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So, Avalanche Exia Dash is getting the XN Raiser treatment. Going to be a regular release in North America, instead of P-Bandai.

It's a hideous, over engineered monstrosity. I feel like I need 2.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/cona_chuuriki/status/995319026795474944

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn that’s rad. I wish I had any idea of where to start to do stuff like that with adding extra parts.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Putting together the RG Wing EW on a lark. What a pleasure. I need to try the Zeta or Sinanju at some point bc I have a hard time believing anything in the RG line isn't a sublime build.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
My first build was also the rg wing! My second rg build was the Sinanju, and it is currently 50% super glue. It is a bad kit, and I want so very much to spend $50 giving it another try because it looks so good once you can find a pose it can stay in.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Marx Headroom posted:

Putting together the RG Wing EW on a lark. What a pleasure. I need to try the Zeta or Sinanju at some point bc I have a hard time believing anything in the RG line isn't a sublime build.

The Sinanju and Destiny are the two main outliers. Every other RG I've done has been fantastic as far as engineering though, and they've only gotten better over time (especially after the Sinanju snafu).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The zeta and the Sinanju are bad in their own ways. The zeta is a true shrapnel grenade for how loose it's bits are. The Sinanju was an experiment to see how much weight could be put into a soft plastic inner frame half a size too small for the model kit.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Marx Headroom posted:

It was a really fun build.

My friend got me a Lancelot kit for Christmas and I'm almost done with it. It's been a pretty fun build so far; however, I wish there was more detail, but it's still really fun and sturdy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Beelerzebub posted:

It was a really fun build.

My friend got me a Lancelot kit for Christmas and I'm almost done with it. It's been a pretty fun build so far; however, I wish there was more detail, but it's still really fun and sturdy.

Which version is that? Looks really nice but it doesn't seem to match the others ive seen, different shoulder armor and the colors are nicer, I think.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Sinanju and Destiny are the two main outliers. Every other RG I've done has been fantastic as far as engineering though, and they've only gotten better over time (especially after the Sinanju snafu).

I'd lump the Strike Freedom in too. The dragoons are a pain to get in a good position and it's really back heavy.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Puddin posted:

I'd lump the Strike Freedom in too. The dragoons are a pain to get in a good position and it's really back heavy.

I'll agree that the dragoons are pretty finicky, but not enough for me to not recommend it. Unlike the Sinanju which really needs a disclaimer warning people about what they're getting into.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Don't get me wrong it was a fun build but it really needs a stand to get it looking good.

I'll probably pull apart the dragoons and apply some glue to the sockets to tighten them up at some point.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I picked up the Leo today and it looks good so far. Here's the culmination of the promises of streamlined runners:

(Possibly hilariously big because I'm phone posting)

As I had heard the only polys included are the same little balls you get with Petitgguys. For the shoulders and waist, they've pretty much just switched the construction so the cups that would usually be polys are now PS. The knees and elbows meanwhile are all PS and actually clip in after construction for easier painting.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The RG Banshee Norn was a nightmare, just so many small parts, and a bunch are fairly loose.

RillAkBea posted:

I picked up the Leo today and it looks good so far. Here's the culmination of the promises of streamlined runners:

Is it just two Sprues for the body?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Anora posted:

Is it just two Sprues for the body?

There are other parts on a separate multi-injection one but they don't have the magical streamlining technology.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did a second gloss spray to finish off the final details on Gaelio's lance, dropped it.

What a mess.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So I finished the SN Altron/Nataku. Besides messing up a couple of small decals it turned out well. Went ahead and tried airbrushing a matte topcoat on it, it also turned out alright, besides 2 decals on the front skirting. I'm not sure if I sprayed too much on that or not enough, I'll hand brush a bit on it it later and see. First time using the airbrush besides testing stuff, it worked well enough, but cleaning the topcoat out of it wasnt fun, it tried to gunk up in a few areas. It looks mostly clean now. I'll take some pictures later to show it off.

Edit: Brushed some on and it still doesnt look great, oh well. The rest of the kit looks good.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 14, 2018

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

asterioth posted:

So I finished the SN Altron/Nataku. Besides messing up a couple of small decals it turned out well. Went ahead and tried airbrushing a matte topcoat on it, it also turned out alright, besides 2 decals on the front skirting. I'm not sure if I sprayed too much on that or not enough, I'll hand brush a bit on it it later and see. First time using the airbrush besides testing stuff, it worked well enough, but cleaning the topcoat out of it wasnt fun, it tried to gunk up in a few areas. It looks mostly clean now. I'll take some pictures later to show it off.

Which top coat are you using?

Basically, airbrushing top coats is a bit different from airbrushing paints in my experience. You need to stop more often to clean the tip, and I definitely do a full rinse between each airbrush cup of the stuff, if I need more than one. Primer is in a similar boat. For both of these, I've found using a 0.5mm needle and higher pressure than paint help a lot.

In general, I find I am using a higher pressure than what's recommended. Dunno if something is wrong with my setup, or what, but it seems to work fine.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Finished the Leo and it looks great. Most of the gates are more or less hidden and it was such a straightforward build I hardly even looked at the manual.

The joints are a little hit and miss though. In particular they put a poly ball in where the otherwise fairly standard hip joint attaches to the thigh. The result is slightly more articulation but it goes loose fairly easily. It's an interesting endeavour overally but it doesn't feel like there's much of an advantage over traditional construction apart from for painting.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Which top coat are you using?

Basically, airbrushing top coats is a bit different from airbrushing paints in my experience. You need to stop more often to clean the tip, and I definitely do a full rinse between each airbrush cup of the stuff, if I need more than one. Primer is in a similar boat. For both of these, I've found using a 0.5mm needle and higher pressure than paint help a lot.

In general, I find I am using a higher pressure than what's recommended. Dunno if something is wrong with my setup, or what, but it seems to work fine.

Vallejo mecha matt varnish. Like I said, besides the 2 front skirts it all seems to have turned out fine. Probably should have used a higher pressure though.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

asterioth posted:

but cleaning the topcoat out of it wasnt fun

What're you using to clean with? Airbrush cleaner is kind of weak in my experience. I'd recommend 91% isopropyl alcohol in a wash bottle as a standard cleaner. And for really stubborn gunk, Mr. Tool Cleaner R will melt just about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I use Windex for most things that don't start with L and rhyme with packer, aka paint that can probably survive atmospheric reentry