Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

Do you think that is more or less difficult than building solutions

I am sure it's difficult, or someone would have done it by now. But that is always true for anything forever, everything takes a lot of work to make.

I think it's right to be skeptical if someone claims that we shouldn't worry about global warming because someone will power a plane using dark matter engines powered by sonofusion from shrimp claws. But it's equally dumb to demand every problem be solved with no new research and that it's forbidden to look for solutions in better designs or technologies based on some weird "but we could have reached the end of technology already and not know it!" lots of problems get solved every single day by inventing new things to solve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ignoring the point.

You'll have to take a ship across the ocean to get to the trains. Also there will be much more competition for the trains. Also we're not going to design them to focus on tourism in an time where crop failures and coastal inundation are causing insurance company and government finance death spirals world-wide.

Double-plus also there's no new denser fuel source for us to find and exploit, (the historical method of solving "insolvable" problems) technology isn't a panacea, it operates within the constraints of physics.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 11, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i mean, i'm assuming you understand what i meant because this is like, primary school level misleading data usage

why, I bet there are even more people dying than ever!

I totally understand. As a %, less people smoke. But the tobacco companies are selling more and more product every day.

(Note: Part of my work covers this).

The same problem exists for carbon emissions. We may get better at per-person carbon footprint (actually we aren't) but population growth.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Car Hater posted:

You'll have to take a ship across the ocean to get to the trains.

Nah, I'll take a plane, also it sounds like this imaginary train sucks so I'll take a plane to my destination too. Maybe next time someone's imaginary train will be nice and I'll take that for at least part of the journey instead of the thing that already works and exists.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But it's equally dumb to demand every problem be solved with no new research and that it's forbidden to look for solutions in better designs or technologies based on some weird "but we could have reached the end of technology already and not know it!" lots of problems get solved every single day by inventing new things to solve them.
Literally no one but you is opposed to research. You're the one insisting "convincing people is impossible don't even bother, instead focus on planes powered by dark matter". If people want to research planes powered by dark matter, that's fine for me, while that's happening we need to be convincing people that 99% of air travel has absurdly bad harm benefit tradeoffs. And later, if we get our dark matter powered planes, we'll be looking at different tradeoffs.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've actually decided to not fly at all this year. I'm only going to European events, and am hoping to take a train to our vacation destination. It's much nicer anyways :colbert:

Potato Salad posted:

And in a thread and community allowed to suffer the personal revelations on the intangibles of climate change becoming anchored to daily reality in passing landmarks and hints, that trajectory is enough for there to be a sentiment that poo poo is getting real. That's a grand share of :derp: posts.

On the pressimism you're perceiving -- I think it's more "drat this is cool but comically dark to actually watch" to "oh poo poo, wow ok I'm actually feeling fear for my future and well being." That sense of personal dead can be as small as concern over future career or family or living unknowns, which most everyone who has ever lived has felt. It doesn't necessarily state "I'm afraid because I think the biosphere will be skull powder and CO2 in 2100," its more mundane than that.

Accordingly, the thread comes out of dormancy when we get a juicy Catastrophe Of The Week, reactions are largely :ducksiren: hail Satan :ducksiren: because it's SA and that's how you express mild interest and surprise, and some people try to frame it against climate data on incredible (as in not credible) leaps that make scientists wish scientific journalism wasn't so loving hard.

I'm phone posting and am aware of how the above flow juts about, my apologies in advance.
This is not really engaging with your point, but I want to say how incredibly impressed I am with you very reasonably and calmly taking my (rather mild) pushback and criticism.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah, I'll take a plane, also it sounds like this imaginary train sucks so I'll take a plane to my destination too. Maybe next time someone's imaginary train will be nice and I'll take that for at least part of the journey instead of the thing that already works and exists.

Right, and you and everyone else falling victim to the tragedy of the commons will drive us extinct eventually, so why not put effort into building a system that can actually work in the long term rather than acting as if you inherently deserve nice things by virtue of being able to temporarily afford them?

E; this is in fact the problem with it being an individual choice thing, we as a whole cannot afford to allow people these choices anymore and the opportunity to choose should be gone.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 11, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cingulate posted:

I've actually decided to not fly at all this year. I'm only going to European events, and am hoping to take a train to our vacation destination. It's much nicer anyways :colbert:

Yeah, a good train is better than any plane. Planes have their place but it's totally possible to build attractive replacements to a ton of plane trips without starting with the assumption that everything else has to be worse and you need to be sad while you ride in a glum boxcar.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

air travel is already restricted to the point that people in this thread continuously accuse me of being wealthy because they are so aghast that I can afford to use airplanes twice a year. There is very little you could rise the price of travel and leave it as a thing that anyone but the ultra rich could access. I may be a dummy that travels for stupid reasons but the fact it's possible for me to do it also makes it possible for all the good and virtuous reasons people need to travel.

Citation needed, unless you mean the very general comparison of a middle-class american being much wealthier than a bangladeshi mud farmer.

And that's a shame if economy flying has to go, but if it's a contributing cause to a worldwide tragedy of the commons, then it should go :shrug:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last page somebody said Owl lives very "piggy" because they can fly 4 times a year without trouble.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Citation needed, unless you mean the very general comparison of a middle-class american being much wealthier than a bangladeshi mud farmer.

Potato Salad posted:

In the name of Jesus felching the sapphire throne, accept that OOCC will never see his upper class status and hosed up worldview for what it is and move on.

His issues are with class and status, not really climate. You know this. Stop bringing it up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's two pages later and I'm still lolling that Arkane said the effects of climate change will be negligible because humanity will be 'more rich and advanced' and able to deal with it. People already die every year during heat waves which will get worse.

There are homeless people in America, one of those 'rich and advanced' nations. If you think they will lift a single finger to help those countries that their emissions has hosed over, like the countries currently sinking into the ocean, lol.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Last page somebody said Owl lives very "piggy" because they can fly 4 times a year without trouble.

Nah, it's because he claims to care about the climate a little and flew to each continent to take pictures of cats lol.

Lmao he thinks riding a train to a destination is being in a 'glum boxcar'. What a rich gently caress.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Lmao he thinks riding a train to a destination is being in a 'glum boxcar'. What a rich gently caress.

Someone made up an imaginary train and I said I’d ride his train and he declared his train was slow and bad for tourists. He couldn’t even have a nice train in his own train fantasy!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Someone made up an imaginary train and I said I’d ride his train and he declared his train was slow and bad for tourists. He couldn’t even have a nice train in his own train fantasy!

Nice isn't the point though? Are you genuine about this? Have you no appreciation for physics?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Car Hater posted:

Nice isn't the point though? Are you genuine about this? Have you no appreciation for physics?

Physic allows you to make nice trains. An airplane has some advantage in raw moving speed but you can still make attractive trains to move people and plenty of places already have trains that are better time, money and comfort experiences than going airport to airport. The demand that trains must suck is absurd.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Physic allows you to make nice trains. An airplane has some advantage in raw moving speed but you can still make attractive trains to move people and plenty of places already have trains that are better time, money and comfort experiences than going airport to airport. The demand that trains must suck is absurd.

I think the point went over your head then, it's not about the amenities of the trains, it's about how much rail capacity future society will be able to afford to dedicate to tourism vs what is needed for moving necessities. Maybe we actually achieve the transition to nuclear and have abundant electricity and can lay track and build seawalls and pumps forever, but I don't count on that, I figure a more protectionist sort of future w.r.t. which cities get/stay connected to each other is more likely.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 11, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Car Hater posted:

I think the point went over your head then, it's not about the amenities of the trains, it's about how much rail capacity future society will be able to afford to dedicate to tourism vs what is needed for moving necessities. Maybe we actually achieve the transition to nuclear and have abundant electricity and can lay track and build seawalls and pumps forever, but I don't count on that, I figure a more protectionist sort of future w.r.t. which cities get/stay connected to each other is more likely.

Then people will still fly in planes. If you build a huge rail network you have a chance to replace a bunch of air travel but not if it’s built to not carry passengers well.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like we need to add a carbon tax so flying more accurately reflects it's cost to the environment

like I don't care if you're an rear end in a top hat who takes advantage of the fact carbon isn't priced into our economy as long as you support that happening

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The funny thing is that only 13% of americans have never been on a plane so there is a bunch of people posting in this thread that either are trying to lay low and not mention they also use planes to try and take the high ground or else have somehow told themselves the only moral plane flight is their plane flight or have flown on planes and not even cared about it in a way they could take it or leave it, which is way more frivolous a use than this thing that is dumb but I am passionate about.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
now tell me the number for people who have flown over an ocean

then do it again for both oceans

and yes, i fly and have flown. but it should be more expensive, and if it were, i'd use a different mode of transit or not go, i certainly wouldnt bitch about how i have to be able to chase whatever dream i want and unless you have a boat that's better I refuse to support any measure to mitigate to impact of air travel on the climate

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 11, 2018

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
It's not so much the airplane itself as it is the distance traveled that is problematic... a car over the same distance is just as bad and maybe worse.

Think how many thousands of miles people have on their vehicles - I've put almost 70k on my car in 10 years. I dislike traveling and avoid it when I can, including driving.

Then for work last year, I flew a dozen times close to 1500 miles each way - that's half the distance I drove in a decade in around 70 hours of actual flight time.

Last year was pretty extreme; usually I don't fly at all, either personal travel or for work. Yet, if you go overseas, you could do 1/3 to 1/2 that in one trip.

Anyway...
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/994611634684411912

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

I like your posts itt!

Is it? I would expect this to be bimodally distributed - with a lot of people going "nothing to worry, Chinese hoax", and a bunch of people going "only mosquitoes will be alive by 2019", and little in between.

What concerns me about this mode of thinking is it appears to be perfectly designed to be maximally ineffectual. Like, if I were some evil mirror twin Koch brother who actually wanted to flood Amsterdam and Boston as soon as possible, I'd try to get everyone to be either like you, or like Donald Trump. Your kind would actively destroy any kind of potentially effective 'coalition of all people who want to prevent the worst things from happening' by yelling at and attempting to cyberbully everyone who has any other opinion than "who cares, we'll all be dead anyways because of evil libertarians and everyone who disagrees is obviously an evil libertarian", scaring off the vast majority of people, including all with any actual plans.

Somewhat counterintuitively, it would probably be better for the climate, and thus for my future children, if you stopped posting about the climate.

Maybe I'm wrong about this - feel free to convince me otherwise - but this is what it looks like right now.

Nah, we tried all that bullshit and it got us where we are now. Thanks though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

call to action posted:

Nah, we tried all that bullshit and it got us where we are now. Thanks though.
So to what action are you calling?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

So to what action are you calling?

You to gently caress off with your tone policing? I guess I'm not that interested in your bullshit, detached, moderate viewpoint.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I still don’t get why Owl Of Cream Cheese keeps on posting stuff about how him moderating his air travel consumption is meaningless when compared to improvements in engine efficiency when improvements in engine efficiency are the most basic example of the Jevons paradox

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Anyway in a couple of years I plan to be posting pictures of Chinese cats taken after a cool ride on the Transsiberian.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Anyway in a couple of years I plan to be posting pictures of Chinese cats taken after a cool ride on the Transsiberian.

a cat I met in china:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
These far-away hugely-carbon-intensive cats look like every other cat I've ever seen in my home state.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

This cat has got some rocking haunches

Edit @davebo yeah but the cats in your home state probably don’t have a well-formed opinion on Liu Shaoqi tho

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

davebo posted:

These far-away hugely-carbon-intensive cats

I remember back when all we had were wood-burning cats

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have not been on a plane since about 1996.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have not been on a plane since about 1996.

Seems roughly as bad as any other year

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guys, show me the train now or improved higher-efficiency ground transportation isn't ever going to be worth fighting for.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

God drat it where's your theoretical high speed rail show me right this instant

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I flew once and I didn’t even take a picture of a cat so I’m the real rear end in a top hat here

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Banana Man posted:

I flew once and I didn’t even take a picture of a cat so I’m the real rear end in a top hat here

I went to England before I thought of the cat thing and feel actually meaningfully upset at how much of a waste that was

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What a weird sentement, cats are great, look at this korean cat:

He's great. That I can do this is great.

There is no solution for climate change that runs through individual choices. The only long term solutions are to find solutions. Even a 1% increase in plane engine efficiency does more than any possible amount of voluntary reduction in vacation time that any society would ever realistically make. Environmental problems need to be solved and trying to reframe them as issues with guilty individual citizens is extremely harmful.

What makes him better than one of the ~3 strays I regularly meet on my evening walks? Other then conspicuous consumption in getting there and some insane bullshit about expanding your own mind? I mean, I would tell you to get a cat and take care of it, but if you did I would feel sorry for the cat.

Car Hater posted:

Tbh I'm somewhat annoyed that people are all over you for the cats thing and I wish they'd drop it, because as you point out, it's not a matter of individual choices.

The reason we are giving him poo poo is that this:

Conspiratiorist posted:

People call him out for it mostly because he refuses to conceive of a future where long-distance air travel is restricted in any fashion. As in, a future where air travel becomes more expensive as its environmental impact is better factored into its cost is categorically incompatible with OOCC's worldview: it must get cheaper and easier forever, or human civilization has failed.

is his literal position from this thread. If things should ever get less comfortable for him, civilization failed and should be destroyed via climate change.

Cingulate posted:

No, it is because he claims those 4 flights a year are extremely minor increase in his carbon footprint.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I almost never fly but I'm probably going to start doing it more because the utterly absurd rail fares in the UK mean that when I visit my parents it's actually cheaper for me to travel to a neighbouring city with an airport and take a plane :toot:

Domestic flights within the UK are a totally insane idea since our country is so tiny but the government seems pretty loving determined to push that incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then people will still fly in planes. If you build a huge rail network you have a chance to replace a bunch of air travel but not if it’s built to not carry passengers well.

They won't, because planes will be banned.