Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

The_Doctor posted:

You know there's a dedicated Kickstarter thread? I only ask because I don't think I've seen you there, and discussion is always good!

I'm not buying and games in general unless something really takes my fancy. I only look at them when someone links especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My store is getting GKR Heavy Hitters, it looks loving awesome.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lorini posted:

Frankly I'm more worried about the sale of Asmodee and what it will do to 90% of its catalog that doesn't produce big margins/revenues.

It's private equity; they would have already shitcanned anything that wasn't a superstar to pad their numbers.

I understand the fear, but Asmodee has already had every corporate raider imitative inflicted on it because PE's goal is to flip companies for as much possible in a 3-5 year window.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Fat Turkey posted:

Also, is Decrypto any good? Sounds intriguing.

I played Decrypto last night with six and I thought it was good. It's a fun team based puzzle-y type game. Gives a lot of opportunities for the players to be clever.

Also, it's only like $20

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyone had a chance to try Ganz schön clever ?

It's gotten a super amount of buzz coming out of the Gathering of Friends and looks like a thinkier/heavier Qwixx. I picked up a copy from Amazon.de for cheap.

e: same designer as The Mind apparently.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 11, 2018

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Flipswitch posted:

My store is getting GKR Heavy Hitters, it looks loving awesome.

So Very Wrong About Games reviewed it recently. They were not impressed. Their biggest complaint was how turn order worked: Apparently, moving first or second in a multiplayer game is deadly, as everyone else can then maneuver out of your firing arc and into your flanks, meaning you both get hit hard and cannot counterattack.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I got a chance to try out Decrypto last weekend and I thought it was great. It take a bit of effort to wrap your brain around the concept as its not all that intuitive, but once it clicked, it clicked and was good. We had one round go on for 10+ clues and became quite tense. Choice of clues is can be very strategic as you need to find multiple conflicting angles to go at a word. The one problem I see is the constant wait time as the team tries to ready their clue. But we tried to mitigate this by giving the clue givers their cards early so as to plan ahead.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

werdnam posted:

So Very Wrong About Games reviewed [GKR: Heavy Hitters] recently. They were not impressed. Their biggest complaint was how turn order worked: Apparently, moving first or second in a multiplayer game is deadly, as everyone else can then maneuver out of your firing arc and into your flanks, meaning you both get hit hard and cannot counterattack.

Yeah, this is definitely a thing with the turn-based movement. Earlier designs of the game, which included augmented reality & mobile app integration, had movement as a simultaneous programming method akin to something like X-Wing (each player assigns all their units movement at the beginning of the round and then the app revealed them to one another, after which the players physically moved all their units to the designated locations). I was a big proponent of it during play testing but when Weta scrapped the AR/app stuff the game design team opted for the simpler turn-based approach. I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult to house rule in something like the X-Wing system though, with some creative component creation anyway.

But yeah, aside from the issues with the movement system, it's a pretty alright game. It looks stellar, has a pretty unique theme, and there's a lot of room for expansion and customization. Hoping the guys at CZE/Weta do well with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Battlecon people, I'm putting together a small set to teach a few fighting game familiar friends and want to keep the roster limited to 10 characters or so. Any specific recommendations of characters that cover a variety of styles and stay on the easier to grasp end? I have War, Devastation, and Fate, so anything except promos or Trials is available. Also, how good is the Strikers expansion? That sounds like a really fun variant.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

Battlecon people, I'm putting together a small set to teach a few fighting game familiar friends and want to keep the roster limited to 10 characters or so. Any specific recommendations of characters that cover a variety of styles and stay on the easier to grasp end? I have War, Devastation, and Fate, so anything except promos or Trials is available. Also, how good is the Strikers expansion? That sounds like a really fun variant.
Just use Trials it's...

oh...oh right.

Well, hmmm, I don't recommend anyone from Fate, since most of the characters there are more to the experimental side of it. I don't really know the other characters, but I've heard that at least Shektur is a good starting character.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Just use Trials it's...

Is it a pretty solid entry point? I have it on my list at CSI so I can pick it up next time I go but I was waiting since I assumed it was more advanced characters and we haven't played half of what we have so far.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it a pretty solid entry point? I have it on my list at CSI so I can pick it up next time I go but I was waiting since I assumed it was more advanced characters and we haven't played half of what we have so far.
Trials is pretty much an entry level box and it's how I got into BattleCON as well. It's got a few advanced characters (Burgundy for once), but the other ones are solid beginner characters that cover very distinctive archetypes. Wardlaw is your grappler, Amon is the counterattacker, Trias is a zoner, Lucida is rushdown, you have brawlers in Hayden and mechanically simple characters like Cindra (which is basically phoenix from UMvC3) and Kimbhe (a characters that really teaches you how to move/make positional plays).

Trials is honestly a great little box and pretty much has something for everyone, especially newbies.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Cocks Cable posted:

I got a chance to try out Decrypto...

The one problem I see is the constant wait time as the team tries to ready their clue. But we tried to mitigate this by giving the clue givers their cards early so as to plan ahead.

Yup, this is exactly what we do too, and it works great.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Cocks Cable posted:

The one problem I see is the constant wait time as the team tries to ready their clue. But we tried to mitigate this by giving the clue givers their cards early so as to plan ahead.

There's like a sand timer. Flip that bad boy.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

PlaneGuy posted:

There's like a sand timer. Flip that bad boy.

I think the rules recommend doing this only after the code-giver has given the words and one team has finished making their number guesses. I'd say that giving the code-giver as much time as they need leads to more creative, clever clues that make the game more fun.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Gutter Owl has a fantastic post somewhere in the L99 thread that explains why Shektur v Eligor is the perfect newbie match. Basically amounts to those two characters having pretty much every mechanic in the game, so you learn to interact with it all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Gutter Owl has a fantastic post somewhere in the L99 thread that explains why Shektur v Eligor is the perfect newbie match. Basically amounts to those two characters having pretty much every mechanic in the game, so you learn to interact with it all.

Sweet. I'll add them and also post this query there.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Caedar posted:

I think the rules recommend doing this only after the code-giver has given the words and one team has finished making their number guesses. I'd say that giving the code-giver as much time as they need leads to more creative, clever clues that make the game more fun.

I agree, but if someone thinks it takes too long, there are rules there for that.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Just hopping in to say that Passport Games was nice enough to send me a set of Revised edition dice for Quantum, so I don't have to use the sticky ones. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Merauder posted:

Yeah, this is definitely a thing with the turn-based movement. Earlier designs of the game, which included augmented reality & mobile app integration, had movement as a simultaneous programming method akin to something like X-Wing (each player assigns all their units movement at the beginning of the round and then the app revealed them to one another, after which the players physically moved all their units to the designated locations). I was a big proponent of it during play testing but when Weta scrapped the AR/app stuff the game design team opted for the simpler turn-based approach. I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult to house rule in something like the X-Wing system though, with some creative component creation anyway.

But yeah, aside from the issues with the movement system, it's a pretty alright game. It looks stellar, has a pretty unique theme, and there's a lot of room for expansion and customization. Hoping the guys at CZE/Weta do well with it.
yeah I hunted down a few reviews for it on the way home and it looks good for our group! Quite keen to play stomp robots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you needed any more proof that BGG users and algorithms are awful, 7th Continent has hit the top ten games of all time. :lol:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I'd start with the first flight of Devastation characters, they're easy and cover a few types.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd start with the first flight of Devastation characters, they're easy and cover a few types.

Are those the beginner, novice, or basic? The terminology is only slightly confusing ;)

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bottom Liner posted:

Are those the beginner, novice, or basic? The terminology is only slightly confusing ;)

Yes, yes it is.

Marmelee is really, really hard to play and probably shouldn't be handed to someone. However, what's probably best is Shekhtur v Eligor, then ask them what type of character they think they want to play. I hooked someone this way by giving him a character that fit his professed style.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

Yes, yes it is.

Marmelee is really, really hard to play and probably shouldn't be handed to someone. However, what's probably best is Shekhtur v Eligor, then ask them what type of character they think they want to play. I hooked someone this way by giving him a character that fit his professed style.

I don't think Marmalee is that bad. She's hard to win with competitively, but it's a bunch of newbies so whatever. You can drop her if you want.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't think Marmalee is that bad. She's hard to win with competitively, but it's a bunch of newbies so whatever. You can drop her if you want.

Honestly she's hard to win with period. You have to be very on point with her movement, a single stun can take her out of the entire game. IIRC she's one of the characters along with Voco who are getting buffed in the update.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Played A Feast for Odin 3 player for the first time in ages, holy hell late pregnancy/newborns wreck game time.

Got the mini expansion islands, and holy poo poo it transforms the game.

I went heavy exploration because why the hell not, ended up with Lefoten filled using initial odds and ends, Greenland using whaling proceeds, Baffin, and then since bear island had six silver on the end I decided why not and got that too on the last turn.

My wife went pillaging and grabbed Tierra del Fuego and loved it, the chalice fits so nicely on it, and got a few houses.

Our friend who is...not good at games but a lot of fun to play with and is a good sport about it, got Iceland because it wasn't an insta-get with cool new islands available, and ended up with one of her best scores.

I won with 160, my wife got 140, and our friend 114.

I highly, highly recommend the islands mini expansion, it seriously makes exploration a thing you do instead of a thing you must get a good island or get hosed.

As an aside, my newborn says to me: gently caress you and gently caress your islands.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

Played A Feast for Odin 3 player for the first time in ages, holy hell late pregnancy/newborns wreck game time.

It took me til the end of your post to figure out that you weren't talking about sheep and game balance here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

:haw:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

silvergoose posted:

It gets worse before it gets better*!

(*I'm assuming it gets better)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

game time is wrecked for a while man have fun

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's our second kid, so we mostly know what's up, and honestly we were not in a good way this fast after our first so hooray experience I guess!

Uh something something family growth joke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

hoiyes posted:

It gets worse before it gets better*!

(*I'm assuming it gets better)

My daughter is now 2 1/2 and if she hears the word game she bolts to the table wanting to play a “daddy game.” Me and my wife usually have to pull out pieces for one of my games to distract her while we play another. I figure it’s good in the long run because we can play 3 player instead of 2 all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

If you needed any more proof that BGG users and algorithms are awful, 7th Continent has hit the top ten games of all time. :lol:

It's more proof that human beings are stupid. People don't like to admit to themselves that they spent a big wad of cash on something poo poo, so they convince themselves they love it.

Me, I admit that I spent way more on Cthulhu Wars than common sense would decree, but it really is a good game. My evidence that I'm not lying to myself for justification is the number of people I've played it with who want to play again. They didn't spend money on it, so they don't have to deceive themselves.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The expansion-only tiers for the second 7th Continent Kickstarter got about 75% of the backers that the first KS did, so the people who bought it liked it enough to commit more money. This isn't to say that it's good but that the first wave of KS backers did a good job self-selecting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

It's more proof that human beings are stupid. People don't like to admit to themselves that they spent a big wad of cash on something poo poo, so they convince themselves they love it.

Me, I admit that I spent way more on Cthulhu Wars than common sense would decree, but it really is a good game. My evidence that I'm not lying to myself for justification is the number of people I've played it with who want to play again. They didn't spend money on it, so they don't have to deceive themselves.

Friends lie to friends all the time. hth

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Are the Alhambra spinoff games worth owning? I'm contemplating upping my KS pledge to the tier that gets me the Mega Box and the Spinoffs Box

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is like throwing a toddler into the Pacific ocean for a swimming lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rutibex posted:

This is like throwing a toddler into the Pacific ocean for a swimming lesson.

Has your sibling forgiven you yet?