Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He’s definitely a terrible writer, but every so often he turns in something batshit and transcendently bad. Good ol’ Fahrenheit. Where a detective fucks a zombie murder suspect and you kung fu fight the internet.

I actually liked Fahrenheit's ludicrousness, but it was pretty drat funny that David Cage clearly saw it as proof that he was a deep and adventurous writing talent while everyone else saw it as the videogame equivalent of an Ed Wood movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wish I liked anything as much as the people who hate David Cage games seem to love hating them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guy Mann posted:

I wish I liked anything

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

If you play Beyond Two Souls in chronological order you get tutorials like two-thirds of the way through the game because it literally just chops the original order into pieces and puts it back together.

I enjoyed it fwiw, but it's like Cage had read IT and not realised that just because that book skips back and forth in time doesn't mean it works for every story. And especially not in a video game where it should at least pretend your choices have consequences (which they obviously can't if you're making decisions in the future before you can make ones in the past that could've led to that moment)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God of War (2018) Kratos doesn't really sound all that angry. They should've tried to get Liam O'Brien or Jon Berenthal for those yells.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWwvR6cSH4o

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i like complaining about david cage games, but the truth is i actually like playing them, especially when theyre free

that said, i think i made the right choice by playing beyond two souls in its original order, not only because its my first time through, but the mission titles are literally on a timeline and it isnt difficult to figure out

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War 4

Kills Helios, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Sol, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Ra, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Belenus, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Huitzilopochtli, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.

Rewards: Solar Armor Recipe and 3500 Hacksilver

drat, not enough Large Light Shavings, better go grind in Alfheim for a bit.

Bumps shin on coffee table in the darkness, gets lauded for humanizing and making relatable a complete shithead who once freed a sex slave so he could jam her into a gear to keep a gate open.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yep, no matter how much they tried new GoW failed to make me like Kratos any more than before, which was not at all, which is a pity because the gameplay has always been good, but when the MC's been this exhaustive of a shithead forever it very actively detracts from the game for me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I know people keep bringing up how much they hate it, but it’s a sign of good writing that so many people hate Kratos’ guts and refuse to admit that a terrible character can have a redemption story.

Like, poo poo, it’s fiction. But people are so mad that the angry bald man isn’t being forever tortured for his crimes. :allears:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I mean not really, the writing caused me to not buy the game. I played a chunk (Of a not-mine copy) and watched the rest and went yep, Kratos is still poo poo, pity they couldn't give me a not-repulsive MC.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's the difference between God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn:

Horizon has a character that people reacted to as strongly as Yardbomb reacted to Kratos, but it worked because he was a villain. Aloy was likable so you kept going despite learning the depths of the other person's absolute fuckheadedness.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i kept going because of the other person, myself

aloy was as interesting as a block of wood with stupid hair

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kratos was fun because I wanted to see how unbelievably massive his next gently caress up would be.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

It's the difference between God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn:

Horizon has a character that people reacted to as strongly as Yardbomb reacted to Kratos, but it worked because he was a villain. Aloy was likable so you kept going despite learning the depths of the other person's absolute fuckheadedness.

I've never wanted to punch a video game character as much as Ted loving Faro.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Yardbomb posted:

I mean not really, the writing caused me to not buy the game. I played a chunk (Of a not-mine copy) and watched the rest and went yep, Kratos is still poo poo, pity they couldn't give me a not-repulsive MC.

I have a visceral response to how horrid and lovely this character is, what awful writing! :allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to play this character because I hate him so much. What great writing for a game?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Dewgy posted:

I have a visceral response to how horrid and lovely this character is, what awful writing! :allears:

So, what do you want? Do you want Yardbomb to play the game and hate it because he doesn't like Kratos? What do you hope to achieve here?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Disliking a character is not the same as them being poorly written.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The people at Santa Monica Studio are absolute geniuses. No matter what they do, they're still working with a genocidal war criminal and people hate that. You couldn't pull this off with a new character, because no matter how much you try to sell how bad the things they did in the past were, it's all just chatter with little to back it up.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Yardbomb didn't say the game was poorly written, he said that he felt that Kratos was written as an unlikable shithead and didn't want to spend an entire game watching him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Case in point: the first God of War tells you all these horrible things Kratos did and it was all chatter. "Okay, sure, back to kicking rear end." Then we did even worse things with him for three (five?) games and the feeling became real.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inco posted:

So, what do you want? Do you want Yardbomb to play the game and hate it because he doesn't like Kratos? What do you hope to achieve here?

Laughing at weirdos on the internet who are way too invested in hating the fictional actions of a fictional character who is literally the Olympian god of war is what I want to achieve, so I’ve already gotten what I want out of this. :v:

It’s like seeing people who get irrationally angry at Claptrap in Borderlands, or who write pissed letters to the editor of the comics page. Like, amazingly, shockingly, actually loving mad about writing in fiction.

I mean, sure, I’ll rant for days about how much L.A. Noire is a giant piece of steaming garbage, so I’m just as guilty, but it’s still funny.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like old Kratos, though. His pure monstrosity is refreshing in video games, where you generally mow down fifty people before breakfast and still get to be a wisecracking adventurer, or go into your very sad daddy issues in cutscenes, or just walk around with full Good Karma because those were Bad People you killed and looted.

He's the God of War, after all, trained by Ares, the lord of Slaughter, Brutality, Violence, and Masculinity. GoW1 outright says he (Ares, then Kratos as his replacement) fuels all human conflict no matter what the cause, only caring about the pain and suffering he can inflict.

But they also tried to tell a story about ~*Fatherhood*~ with a character who murdered his daughter and wears her charred remains everywhere he goes.

Unwillingly-ish, sure, but really, it's not surprising Kratos has trouble connecting with Atreus. Boy just can't be as close to his heart as Calliope is.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 20:31 on May 12, 2018

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Laughing at weirdos on the internet who are way too invested in hating the fictional actions of a fictional character who is literally the Olympian god of war is what I want to achieve, so I’ve already gotten what I want out of this. :v:

It’s like seeing people who get irrationally angry at Claptrap in Borderlands, or who write pissed letters to the editor of the comics page. Like, amazingly, shockingly, actually loving mad about writing in fiction.

I mean, sure, I’ll rant for days about how much L.A. Noire is a giant piece of steaming garbage, so I’m just as guilty, but it’s still funny.

you keep repeating "it's fiction!!!" like that means loving anything

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

God of War 4

Kills Helios, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Sol, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Ra, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Belenus, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.
Kills Huitzilopochtli, causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.

Rewards: Solar Armor Recipe and 3500 Hacksilver

drat, not enough Large Light Shavings, better go grind in Alfheim for a bit.

Or go kill Amaterasu as well, that should bring you up enough after causing the Sun to flicker and fade out, plunging the world into darkness.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah like "But it's fictional!" or not, the other guy pretty much had me right, I want to like those games a lot, I love character action and the settings are great, the problem is I'd rather play almost anyone else and it got to the point where I finally went "No thanks" and hard dipped out of a series I otherwise enjoyed, mostly when it was fighting mythical monsters and all that cool stuff. Character started not great and then got worse each game, his aesthetics do nothing for me, Teal'c was a good voice pick (For 4) but man, that couldn't save it for me and it's honestly disappointing. And like what's really hosed is I can't think of another series that's done this, there's been MC's I disliked, but nothing else made me put a game down and go "Nah, I'm good" like this.

marshmallow creep posted:

Case in point: the first God of War tells you all these horrible things Kratos did and it was all chatter. "Okay, sure, back to kicking rear end." Then we did even worse things with him for three (five?) games and the feeling became real.

This was definitely a big thing also. "Okay Ares screwed him over, he was a prick but whatever, avenge family and kill a god, sounds good." and then 2 basically opens with him being a lovely aggressor and causing his new situation by being so, he's the new god of war whatever it already feels dumb, from there it keeps on and by 3 it's CURSE *Kills random innocents* THESE *Tortures helpless people to progress* GODS *Fucks up the ocean and drowns countless families like his* FOR *Blots out the sun and unleashes a bunch of monsters to kill more innocent people as an untouchable god* THIS! *Further damns infinite unrelated people*

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"look at these people, having the audacity to dislike something in the 'things i dislike in video games' thread" i shriek repeatedly at the internet, forever cementing my superiority as a true posting elite

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
People talked about making Jesus a recurring antagonist or unlucky bystander or something in a GoW game, but I think it would have been funnier if Kratos kept killing gods and taking their place until he was the single god of everything and woah you were YHWH all along.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kratos may kill every other deity from every religion on earth, but he will never usurp my title as Gamer God.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
haha look at these rubes, caring about things, hahah faaaaaaart

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Arbitrary time limits are stupid and lazy.

I grabbed Kingsway on sale and it seemed like a charming & unique take on Rogue-likes. Then 45 minutes into the game, me taking my time and enjoying poo poo, suddenly there's a dark cloud crawling across the world that wrecks your poo poo up if you don't go superfast and skip a whole bunch of poo poo.

It's like they wanted to add tension and excitement but rather than using storytelling or creative gameplay they just slapped a timer on there and called it a day.

FTL did it, Spelunky did it, and it invariably ruins otherwise fun little games. Makes me sad because I genuinely liked all of those games.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

dumb. posted:

I grabbed Kingsway on sale and it seemed like a charming & unique take on Rogue-likes. Then 45 minutes into the game, me taking my time and enjoying poo poo, suddenly there's a dark cloud crawling across the world that wrecks your poo poo up if you don't go superfast and skip a whole bunch of poo poo.

It's like they wanted to add tension and excitement but rather than using storytelling or creative gameplay they just slapped a timer on there and called it a day.

FTL did it, Spelunky did it, and it invariably ruins otherwise fun little games. Makes me sad because I genuinely liked all of those games.

Such is the curse of roguelikes

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of want to see God of War and Okami cross over now. Amaterasu the Sun Goddess versus the Kratos, the God of Terrible Parenting. FIGHT

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Time limits have their place. FTL and similar aren't exploration games, they're races against time by setting, premise and substance. (I'm not familiar with your other examples)

Games like Fallout 1 benefit less from their time limits. Yea, the game is premised on the vault running out of water, but the setting and substance of the game is that of exploration and worldbuilding, which is harmed by the presence of a timer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Evilreaver posted:

Time limits have their place. FTL and similar aren't exploration games, they're races against time by setting, premise and substance. (I'm not familiar with your other examples)

Games like Fallout 1 benefit less from their time limits. Yea, the game is premised on the vault running out of water, but the setting and substance of the game is that of exploration and worldbuilding, which is harmed by the presence of a timer.

I also like when time limits can eventually be overcome, like when Death chases you in Persona. Eventually, you should be able to take him head on, and until then it's just running from a single enemy rather than an unstoppable force.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dumb. posted:

On a related note, the arbitrary distance you must maintain when chasing someone in a Ubisoft game. I failed one of the Longinus tailing missions because the guy I was tailing was too far away. We were in the middle of an otherwise empty lake, I was looking directly at the fucker, but mission failed because he got one foot too far in front of me. gently caress off.

Oh, and rear end Creed games where if you're not directly looking at the guy you're tailing, the game assumes you've lost them even if you're standing on a rooftop about six feet away from them and starts the "HURRY UP AND CATCH HIM" countdown. I do enjoy having to stare fixedly at the target I'm trying to hide from while navigating using the loving Force.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

you keep repeating "it's fiction!!!" like that means loving anything

food court bailiff posted:

"look at these people, having the audacity to dislike something in the 'things i dislike in video games' thread" i shriek repeatedly at the internet, forever cementing my superiority as a true posting elite

John Murdoch posted:

haha look at these rubes, caring about things, hahah faaaaaaart

:allears:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While Witcher 3 does have one or two quests that fail if you don't chase the target, like the Novigrad doppler, there is an interesting example of mercy on the developer's part in the Kingmaker quest. After killing a giant and banishing a demon there comes a part where you have to chase a murder-suspect on horseback. If you succeed in catching him then you interrogate him to help solve the crime. You can fail to catch him, but, instead of irredeemably screwing your chances of finishing the quest in this playthrough, you get an alternate goal to keep searching for him. You then find the suspect's dead, get the clues of his corpse, and the quest continues as normal.

It's a moment of reactivity that acknowledges the player failing at an action, but doesn't punish the player or deny them a proper resolution for failing an arbitrary task.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:20 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
LA Noire let you skip a tailing mission if you failed it three times. They were so close to realising that tailing missions suck.