Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

lol if you even own a razor

e:

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Same.

I’m also happy at all the feathers poo poo like that ruffles

It took me forever to realize that you guys were talking about something more than the guy's uniform.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Though I gotta chuckle at any enlisted blueshirt that gets that mess dress poo poo

For our wedding, my husband's one request was for me to get mess dress blues. I just wish I could go back and be as in shape as I am now for the wedding, dropped about 25 lbs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

For our wedding, my husband's one request was for me to get mess dress blues. I just wish I could go back and be as in shape as I am now for the wedding, dropped about 25 lbs.

Ugh, what a weird request. Mess dress is easily the ugliest dress uniform in the Navy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I love the new dress white enlisted but I'm starting to think the cuffed look may be a minor mistake because it really keeps in the heat. Really dig the piping though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Ugh, what a weird request. Mess dress is easily the ugliest dress uniform in the Navy.

Non-military people really like the look of military uniforms. As a right thinking service member, I try to be in my uniform the least amount possible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mess dress is best when coupled with a huge beer belly

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Non-military people really like the look of military uniforms. As a right thinking service member, I try to be in my uniform the least amount possible.

"Attention United passengers...we have a HERO onboard the aircraft with us today!"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Cerekk posted:

"Attention United passengers...we have a HERO onboard the aircraft with us today!"

(E-2 in service uniform grins smugly from first class seat that actual vietnam veteran gave him)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

(E-2 in service uniform grins smugly from first class seat that actual vietnam veteran gave him)

Bu-bu-bu we are expressly forbidden to travel in uniform!

I do like boarding early though. Dont need to be in uniform for that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I do everything possible to not indicate I'm in the military at all, to include work hours when viable

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

personally I do everything possible to not indicate I'm in the military at all, to include work hours when viable

You need a happier work site. Put in for orders at the USNO. Their renovation of the cafeteria that nobody plans to use is going swell.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Trust me, I get it. That just seems like a weird one for him to pick.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I’m not sure if things have changed but to be fair you’re sort of forced to fly in uniform between boot camp and a-school and maybe a to c school idk?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

You need a happier work site. Put in for orders at the USNO. Their renovation of the cafeteria that nobody plans to use is going swell.

Or I could leave the Navy, hmmm

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

Hmmmmm

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Trust me, I get it. That just seems like a weird one for him to pick.

Didn't/Doesn't seem odd to me since mess dress is basically another tux. I could see it being odd if I was a woman; dress to mess dress would be a step down.

Edit: only time I traveled in uniform was from ORD to Norfolk after basic and flying out/back on chartered BWI flight. Minute we landed in BWI on way back I found the nearest bathroom and changed.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 12, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

My friend have you heard the good word about the Reserves?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

No thank you :) The Seabees actual knowledge and abilities are overwhelmingly concentrated in the reserves so I don't want to learn how to do things right

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hah if you think reserve Seabees do anything much less right.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Thronde posted:

Hah if you think reserve Seabees do anything much less right.

I mean if I had to choose....

You're really just reinforcing his point.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The gently caress do Seabees even do

I was in for five and worked along side them a bit and spent a week on Hueneme and still have no idea

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Outside of war seabees continuously try to justify their existence

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I used to get drunk in my blueberries because I hoped some of that joy would rub off during my working hours

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The gently caress do Seabees even do

I was in for five and worked along side them a bit and spent a week on Hueneme and still have no idea

There’s 20 of them at the USNO rebuilding a cafeteria.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The navy is full of dead weight that's not exclusive to the seabees. We had plenty of CTs that came to work and did nothing until quitting time 4 hours later.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

For the majority of personnel e5 and under quitting time is immediately after morning formation

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Jesus gently caress everyone without a real job in the navy

Edit: actually just gently caress the nuclear navy

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
My job this cruise has been summarized as directing two junior dudes to get hazmat and run paint chits to boat safety, and take morning maint meeting because boss isn't coming in till noon (12-12).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kawasaki Nun posted:

actually just gently caress the nuclear navy

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

For the majority of personnel e5 and under quitting time is immediately after morning formation

I feel like you've never lived on a ship...

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lou Takki posted:

I feel like you've never lived on a ship...

Three years on a ship with the Navy has taught me that they mostly work them until they break a bunch and then have a safety stand down and talk a sweet game about work/life balance and how everyone cares about their mental well being. That usually lasts a couple of weeks or until the next inspection is coming up and they repeat the process.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

_______ is visiting the ship in a week and totally maybe might be probably not inspecting berthings!! Start cleaning!!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Three years on a ship with the Navy has taught me that they mostly work them until they break a bunch and then have a safety stand down and talk a sweet game about work/life balance and how everyone cares about their mental well being. That usually lasts a couple of weeks or until the next inspection is coming up and they repeat the process.

So you weren't in or around a division that had underway watchstanding.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

So you weren't in or around a division that had underway watchstanding.

I was around a bunch of divisions that had watch standing. Not being a sailor, I never stood any watches though.

Not really sure which way you are going here. Are you trying to say watch standers get more sleep because of their need to be ready for watch? Or are you trying to say standing watch exasperates the lovely sleeping schedules on ship?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I was around a bunch of divisions that had watch standing. Not being a sailor, I never stood any watches though.

Not really sure which way you are going here. Are you trying to say watch standers get more sleep because of their need to be ready for watch? Or are you trying to say standing watch exasperates the lovely sleeping schedules on ship?

I'm trying to say that I had just woken up and I totally misread your post and combined it in my head with the previous post.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

He's saying gently caress all riders forever! gently caress him up!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

He's saying gently caress all riders forever! gently caress him up!

:toughguy:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Got my selection tomorrow! I'll be finding out if I'll be on a EP-3 or a P-8, hoping for the newer shiny plane, though the EP-3 is kind of cool and it'd be guaranteed Whidbey island.

Anyone here ever work with EP-3's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but closest I could think of. I have a friend and she is way too cool for an account, but she is a Navy Reservist in 6th Fleet, currently living in Vicenza, Italy, and is a navy nurse practitioner. She was commissioned in 2010, she's a Lieutenant, and gonna be looked for lieutenant-commander in 6 months, and has sub specialty whatever as 2905/1975. She wants to get on active duty stateside, or really anywhere, and has no real idea how to make it happen. Are there any good tips or tricks to help make this happen? Is there some high speed officer recruites that can help because apparently the enlisted ones don't give two fucks. Sorry if I got terminology wrong, I have brain damage, I am in the Army.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 14, 2018