Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

can't wait till they start talking to each other

quote:

F: Are you serious? Where do you get your ideas?

R: Everything I need to know, I learned from Dr. Richard S. Wallace.

F: All things you need to know you learned from Dr Richard s Wallace?

R:But all things are not always me need to know me learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

F: Umm. But all things are not always are not always you need to know you learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

R:Interesting. But all things are not always are not always are not always me need to know me learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

F: Interesting. But all things are not always are not always are not always are not always you need to know you learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

R: Huh. But all things are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always me need to know me learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

F: Huh. But all things are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always you need to know you learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

R:Umm. But all things are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always me need to know me learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

F: And. But all things are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always you need to know you learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

R: Huh. But all things are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always are not always me need to know me learned from Dr Richard s Wallace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in like 1993 mtv set up email bots for beavis and butthead and if you emailed one of them it would send you back a joke, then someone spoofed a message from one to the other and it melted down their mail server and basically I'm assuming something similar will happen with this

google is essentially weaponizing machine learning against small businesses, like oh hi hair salon, you're sick of getting 10000 robot calls a day? well if you had google small business cloud whatever the bots could just hook into the google calendar api and not call your phone only $299 per month

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sure we've got appointments, the standard fee is two to the sixty-fourth power divided by zero new zealand dollars per cubic rand, is that okay

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
can google's ai cancel an appointment or does it make a human do that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ok google, book me a reservation at every restaurant in town for 7 pm. I don’t know where I will feel like eating.

two hours later:
okay google, cancel all of my reservations except this one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

ok google, book me a reservation at every restaurant in town for 7 pm. I don’t know where I will feel like eating.

two hours later:
okay google, cancel all of my reservations except this one

there's already bots that do this for opentable, adding phone calls just seems like it's going to spread the misery

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

google:

qirex posted:

spread the misery

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

there's already bots that do this for opentable, adding phone calls just seems like it's going to spread the misery

Didn't someone do this and create a secondary market (pay for reservation)?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao you guys actually think it will work or even get released

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rapeface posted:

Forums user "rapeface" makes an interesting point.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bull3964 posted:

Here's the thing.

Human interaction as it relates to booking an appointment isn't human interaction. I don't gain a sense of emotional well-being by talking to a person when making a restaurant reservation. I don't make a friend by scheduling an oil change. I didn't gain new insight into the human condition by finding out when a store closes.

We need to shed ourselves of this ideal that engagement in commercial services needs to be some sort of personal fulfilling interaction. Anything that abstracts people from getting the idea that these business truely care for them outside of the exchange of currency is a good thing.

Also, as mentioned in the demonstration, there are other obvious advantages of this. Information gained from one call can be provided for follow-up questions from other people, relieving the burden from the person giving the information. The example they used was holiday hours. Google could find out what that day's hours for the store were with a single call and then provide that information to anyone that asks, saving the store from a barrage of calls.

Expand that to something like inventory. "Do you have <insert hot new Christmas toy in stock>?". No, but shipments are expected Thursday. Everyone wins. The store spends less time on the phone and people get answers instantly.

Then you aggregate that data. "Your local store doesn't have any in stock, new shipment expected Thursday, but the one 20 miles away had a few as of 11am."

You don't gain anything by doing this legwork yourself. This plugs the analog gap with digital data aggregation and it's a huge step forward.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rapeface posted:

They'll release it. This is a company that thinks their AI can be trusted to pilot a 5000lb death machine at 70 miles an hour. They'll have zero second thoughts about unleashing reservation bots on the world.

It'll be awful, it won't ever work, no one will use it, and it'll quietly be killed 12 months later. But they'll release it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Schadenboner posted:

Didn't someone do this and create a secondary market (pay for reservation)?

yes.

in DC at least the in-demand restaurants started to get pissed off about no-shows due to people/bots booking "just in case" reservations and implemented deposit/pre-payment requirements. those same high-demand spots were what the startups were hoping to monetize so they flamed our pretty quickly after that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

They'll release it. This is a company that thinks their AI can be trusted to pilot a 5000lb death machine at 70 miles an hour. They'll have zero second thoughts about unleashing reservation bots on the world.

you’re thinking of tesla or uber. google cars are maddeningly slow

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

you’re thinking of tesla or uber. google cars are maddeningly slow
maybe at least for the first part

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

yes.

in DC at least the in-demand restaurants started to get pissed off about no-shows due to people/bots booking "just in case" reservations and implemented deposit/pre-payment requirements. those same high-demand spots were what the startups were hoping to monetize so they flamed our pretty quickly after that.

yeah this isn’t for alter or momofuku it’s for when a DYPer takes a first date to a chili’s in a flyover state at 7pm on a Tuesday

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
if Google really wanted to make big bux they could train this assistant to be an e-gf for incels

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah this isn’t for alter or momofuku it’s for when a DYPer takes a first date to a chili’s in a flyover state at 7pm on a Tuesday

that's not a valid use case either because nobody makes reservations at chain restaurants

"kenosha chili's, how can i help you"
"hello, my client would like to make a reservation for 2 at 7pm on tuesday. do you have any tables still available?"

*looks around the room, which is empty except for some 60 year old chain restaurant bar flys*

"yeah, a couple"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The_Franz posted:

that's not a valid use case either because nobody makes reservations at chain restaurants

"kenosha chili's, how can i help you"
"hello, my client would like to make a reservation for 2 at 7pm on tuesday. do you have any tables still available?"

*looks around the room, which is empty except for some 60 year old chain restaurant bar flys*

"yeah, a couple"

lol if you think a chilis in ohio has an open table for 2 at 7pm on a tuesday thats like an hour wait minimum

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

lol if you think a chilis in ohio has an open table for 2 at 7pm on a tuesday thats like an hour wait minimum

voice of experience here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Google, as usual, is vastly overestimating the quality of their robot software vis-a-vis humans' pattern recognition abilities

It's going to take approximately a week of this software being available before every popular restauranteur and salon owner in the country has learned the Google Assistant voices and speech patterns well enough to respond to every question with "have your client call me for real," or just hang up immediately

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People seem to forget that we've had software that "passes the Turing test" literally since the 1960s with ELIZA, where it fools is at first because we've never seen anything like it, and then after a few minutes of exposure our brains automatically discover the gaps and it doesn't work anymore.

This happens every single time people attempt to create software that can hold a human conversation, and it will continue to fail until we develop strong AI. Humans are just that good

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Google, as usual, is vastly overestimating the quality of their robot software vis-a-vis humans' pattern recognition abilities

It's going to take approximately a week of this software being available before every popular restauranteur and salon owner in the country has learned the Google Assistant voices and speech patterns well enough to respond to every question with "have your client call me for real," or just hang up immediately

yes, small business owners are well known for turning away business whenever possible

if it actually works well (it probably won't) nobody is going to actually give a poo poo and turn away business over it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's actually a good thing for a restaurant to turn away "business" that is merely going to reserve a table (and prevent you from giving it to other customers), but never actually show up or pay you any money

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notice where I said "popular"

Places that can't fill the tables are, surprise, not places where you have to make reservations in the first place

This software will be used to spam popular locations with requests for Friday night at 7 p.m., by the people who do this for dozens of locations and then pick the one they like 20 minutes before and cancel the rest. the owners will recognize this and start turning people away

Of course, as with any Google product, you have to assume that it was developed for internal consumption first. In this case, it's to enable autistic people (Googlers) to make appointments without having to talk to any human beings, and to "optimize" their time by not having to take a 10-minute break in the middle of the day to do something other than work on those advertising metrics

I also liked someone's suggestion earlier in the thread that this will be used to strongarm businesses into paying Google for pro calendar integration so they don't get swamped with robocalls

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

restaurants still use open table
this wouldn't have to be any different

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
restaurants will just give you a second class “assistant reservation”, which means it might not be there when you show up.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jose Valasquez posted:

restaurants still use open table
this wouldn't have to be any different

a lot of the popular ones only set aside like 1/4 for OT because of this exact problem, these will just go in that pool

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

like im sure there's a justification somewhere, but cant see why any business would want to pay someone to spend five minutes on the phone with a scripted ai when you could just get that in < 10 sec with any of the billion scheduling software solutions out there

its not 2000, anyone who cant handle booking with a website isnt worth doing business with

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

oh just have the ai talk to your ai, spoken language is the most accurate and efficient way to handle that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I hate dealing with stupid automated trees. I’m not convinced their AI is going to be less bad in any way. cause they’re google. but yeah a good way to discriminate against tech dorks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

Notice where I said "popular"

Places that can't fill the tables are, surprise, not places where you have to make reservations in the first place

This software will be used to spam popular locations with requests for Friday night at 7 p.m., by the people who do this for dozens of locations and then pick the one they like 20 minutes before and cancel the rest. the owners will recognize this and start turning people away

Of course, as with any Google product, you have to assume that it was developed for internal consumption first. In this case, it's to enable autistic people (Googlers) to make appointments without having to talk to any human beings, and to "optimize" their time by not having to take a 10-minute break in the middle of the day to do something other than work on those advertising metrics

I also liked someone's suggestion earlier in the thread that this will be used to strongarm businesses into paying Google for pro calendar integration so they don't get swamped with robocalls
isn't it interesting that they decided to work on making reservations instead of taking reservations

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

its not 2000, anyone who cant handle booking with a website isnt worth doing business with

it closes the small business gap; like my salon isnt bookable online. its probably the only thing i cant schedule by a web form or app

now, right there that rules me out because im not in the category of 'great clips patron' and can manage the meager human interaction of scheduling my trims in advance, but great clips has an app so idk what that does to help in that case, either

maybe its a play to get older users to trust technology more than learning some ap-ahaha that also wont work

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I just go to Supercuts.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
great cliPs is good (you might even say great) because you can check in online and they have your haircut preferences stored on a server somewhere :yaycloud:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

great cliPs is good (you might even say great) because you can check in online and they have your haircut preferences stored on a server somewhere :yaycloud:

Can confirm.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
rule 36, find a good barber/hair salon

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

not even rule 36, chain hair places suck. if it suits your needs then whatever but have some self respect

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

OldAlias posted:

not even rule 36, chain hair places suck. if it suits your needs then whatever but have some self respect

yeah. if youre a guy a trim wont cost much more than what youre paying and you can have the same stylist each time so they just know what you like

those super cuts places are part time or holdover gigs for stylists so you kind of play the lottery on quality and consistency. not bad if you have a simple cut but if you like consistency having the same stylist really helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

until google creates some kind of chaplinesque trim bot a human you can rely on is a good bet for nice cuts

• Locked thread