Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
Gen2 Volt... The car's total range with both a full battery and a full tank is nearly 400 miles. In 1.5 years of ownership I have yet to take a trip that far. In fact the farthest I have driven in one go with it is approx. 180 miles round trip. I have multiple times however driven outside the ~50 mile battery range. in 1.5 years at 70% EV driving.

I probably would have ended up with a Bolt had they been available nationwide at the time. The Bolt's range would have suited my driving habits well. My next car will definitely be full BEV assuming there are some appealing options on the market when the time arrives. I simply cannot go back to full ICE drive. Getting in a ICE car and driving it seems so loud, jerky, and unsophisticated now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Hybrid owners: for as long as you've owned the car, how many trips have you done where you had to refill gas along the way? I.e. you wouldn't have been able to complete it even if you started with a full tank. Follow up question, will your next car be a battery electric?

2007 Prius - only in other people's cars (rented/borrowed) or due to not filling up before I left.
I don't even drive anymore, I take the train to work and my mom moved out west. My partner uses the Prius now.
I've rented a Prius in Seattle and driven to San Francisco over the course of a few days, and whenever I go snowboarding, my friend's Xterra usually needs at least one fill-up (not a hybrid I know).
I would happily get a full electric, but it's a hard sell for the Mrs. She doesn't so much have range anxiety as infrastructure anxiety. Right now we live in a rented condo with no real way of installing a charger, especially not cheaply. When we move in a year or two, we don't know what the living situation will be like or if it will be feasible to install one. We'll probably get some sort of range extender hybrid or PHEV as the next car. I'd like an i3, but I'm currently renting a Fusion Hybrid and it's really a nice car and I'd be happy with one of those.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Does anyone have an idea how long it would take to get a Model 3 if it was ordered today? Is it around 2 years? Would I be better served with a used Model S for family duties?

I have a feeling my M3 will be my last ICE daily driver. I’m thinking I put an order in next year if it will take 2 years for a Model 3.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Does anyone have an idea how long it would take to get a Model 3 if it was ordered today? Is it around 2 years? Would I be better served with a used Model S for family duties?

I have a feeling my M3 will be my last ICE daily driver. I’m thinking I put an order in next year if it will take 2 years for a Model 3.

There were around 500,000 preorders, they've already shipped around 30,000 model 3s, their goal is 5000 cars a week, so if every remaining pre-order takes delivery you're lookin at 94 weeks, a hair under 2 years.

On the flip side, the model S isn't goofy looking and has a speedometer and also gets free supercharger usage and you can have one tomorrow if you want it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Powershift posted:

There were around 500,000 preorders, they've already shipped around 30,000 model 3s, their goal is 5000 cars a week, so if every remaining pre-order takes delivery you're lookin at 94 weeks, a hair under 2 years.

Their goal is 5000 cars a week by the end of June. They've said that they ultimately want to get to at least 10,000 cars a week eventually.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

If you don't mind not having the latest features, you can get a used model s for less than a new 3, and have it soon. It will feel a good bit more luxurious as well.

We decided we wanted to do some road tripping this summer but didn't want to go back to a gas car, so we went for a 2013 model s 85. I know I'm taking a risk getting such an old one, but it was super reasonable for what it is. Basically the features and price of a bolt, but better range and with supercharging. I'm happy so far.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

Their goal is 5000 cars a week by the end of June. They've said that they ultimately want to get to at least 10,000 cars a week eventually.

yes, also my goal is to buy a private island

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

Ola posted:

Hybrid owners: for as long as you've owned the car, how many trips have you done where you had to refill gas along the way? I.e. you wouldn't have been able to complete it even if you started with a full tank. Follow up question, will your next car be a battery electric?

Never, though I’ve only been driving my Prius since last March. A full tank is 7-800km so it’s extremely unlikely I’d be taking it that far in one trip.

My next car might not even be a hybrid. I’m actively shopping to replace the Prius as yeah, the mileage is great, and my work route is super easy on it averaging upwards of 53 mpg in the summer. But my commute is 165km round trip and I’ve concluded and I need something nicer to spend 2.5 hours a day in.

So far my leading candidates are the 2018 Mazda 6 GT and the accord turbo, or maybe hybrid and may also drive the new insight when it comes out in the top end trims to give me some niceities, ie adaptive cruise, ventilated seats etc.

Non-hybrid would hurt the pocket at the pump, especially with prices at 1.30-1.40 a litre right now....but it’s taken my only 14-15 months of driving the Prius to know I want a bit nicer ride.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Banana_Boy posted:

A full tank is 7-800km so it’s extremely unlikely I’d be taking it that far in one trip.

As someone who has lived in the south-western United States for my entire life, statements like this just boggle my mind. That's only 500 miles.

From my house, Albuquerque is 450 miles, El Paso is 463 miles, Denver is 850 miles, Salt Lake City is 712 miles, San Francisco is 750 miles. These are all places I have driven to, sometimes more than once in a single year. This doesn't even touch on driving to say Glacier Park (1400 miles) which I used to do twice per year. I make the 350 mile drive to San Diego 8 or more times per year.

It's just weird to me that people stay within such a small 'bubble' around where they live, but then I've never lived in a place as crowded as the east coast, or Europe.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ola posted:

Probably a couple times a year assuming we look at one-way/able to refill at destination. Visiting family over the holidays is just on the edge of a tank's range, and I travel a decent amount where the airfares are sometimes rediculous for short hop flights. This is with a 2012 Prius.

Game plan for me is probably to add an electric Arcimoto "motorcycle" for commuting or local travel that doesn't require much cargo carrying ability. Assuming Arcimoto actually do make it to production, though they are making good progress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Locator posted:

It's just weird to me that people stay within such a small 'bubble' around where they live,
Counterpoint: I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than have to drive the 6ish hours it takes to get to San Francisco more than once every 5-10 years -- and i live in L.A.

Sitting in a car that long is monotonous and not enjoyable

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

every tesla accident gets national news coverage

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On one hand, they did the same poo poo to Tucker back in the day, so it's not surprising.

On the other hand, Tesla made it far easier to make a news story out of it by calling it autopilot instead of cruise control, so gently caress em.

Also, there are a bunch of nasty teslas on copart that didn't make the news. They didn't even bother taking the tree out of this one: :nms: https://www.copart.com/lot/29160998

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Locator posted:

From my house, Albuquerque is 450 miles, El Paso is 463 miles, Denver is 850 miles, Salt Lake City is 712 miles, San Francisco is 750 miles. These are all places I have driven to, sometimes more than once in a single year. This doesn't even touch on driving to say Glacier Park (1400 miles) which I used to do twice per year. I make the 350 mile drive to San Diego 8 or more times per year.

username/post combo

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The Locator posted:

It's just weird to me that people stay within such a small 'bubble' around where they live, but then I've never lived in a place as crowded as the east coast, or Europe.

I have great news for you! Someone (let's not discuss who, that's still controversial with such a recent invention) invented a machine that can fly through the air at great speed, carrying many passengers. We call them airplanes. In your country, the only drawback is that you will have a stranger grope you if you want to ride in one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I have great news for you! Someone (let's not discuss who, that's still controversial with such a recent invention) invented a machine that can fly through the air at great speed, carrying many passengers. We call them airplanes. In your country, the only drawback is that you will have a stranger grope you if you want to ride in one.

Maybe his nearest airport is also albuquerque or El paso.

And him and his 5 nearest neighbors (also his 5 only neighbors) aren't enough passengers to bother serving with your newfangled "aero-planes"

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 13, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

quote=/edit

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pun pundit posted:

It sort of depends on why you are traveling as to weather or not it's better to drive vs. fly. Sometimes a trip is also about the journey, not just the destination, and in the case of the trips to Glacier Park, I would be staying there for several months so it was kind of nice to have my car with me while I was there.

I won't deal with flying for shorter trips (about 6 hours or less) as the airport is an hour drive, then at least another hour at the airport, then the flight, and an hour or so at the destination airport, and then I have to get a rental car or something, just easier to have my own car there.

FilthyImp posted:

Counterpoint: I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than have to drive the 6ish hours it takes to get to San Francisco more than once every 5-10 years -- and i live in L.A.

Sitting in a car that long is monotonous and not enjoyable

It's not required to drive 6 hours straight, you can stop and take breaks and get food or check out a nice view or historical monument or something. I get where you are coming from though, as I used to travel that way also, but now I just take my time and enjoy the trip.

In any case, I was just making an observation that I find it strange that there are many people who never take their car beyond a somewhat small area around their home.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Locator posted:

As someone who has lived in the south-western United States for my entire life, statements like this just boggle my mind. That's only 500 miles.

America, where 100 years is a long time.
Europe, where 100 miles is a far distance.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Waymo goes one better, with headlines like Waymo self-driving vehicle involved in car crash when the actual story is some human-driven vehicle swerved into oncoming traffic and smashed into a slow-moving Waymo vehicle.

"Nicole Brown Simpson involved in murder"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

roomforthetuna posted:

Waymo goes one better, with headlines like Waymo self-driving vehicle involved in car crash when the actual story is some human-driven vehicle swerved into oncoming traffic and smashed into a slow-moving Waymo vehicle.

"Nicole Brown Simpson involved in murder"

That was amazing reporting, yeah.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How the "aftermarket" game for hybrid / electric vehicles? Adding battery pack to hybrid/electric cars, upgrading electric motors etc. Anything like that going on?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting answers. It would be nice with a proper survey, I think the hybrid as a gateway drug will work fine as people realize they actually don't drive very long that often.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A new civic gets 31, 40 mpg and it has 180 hp.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone here with smart meters/time of day based electricity metering charge during peak? Hypothetically if you did, how much would you expect your electricity bill to change?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

Does anyone here with smart meters/time of day based electricity metering charge during peak? Hypothetically if you did, how much would you expect your electricity bill to change?

I did the numbers for my 3, and counting ONLY my commute (45mi round-trip, five days a week) and charging exclusively off-peak is ~$78 a year. Charging exclusively on-peak would roughly double that. The difference is minor enough that I don’t worry about it, and simply plug the damned thing in.

FPL’s new (June 2018) rates are roughly .13¢/KWh off, and .24¢/KWh on-peak. Add ~20% for usage over 1000KWh per billing cycle. I’m above 1000, but well under 2000, even in the depths of summer.

Electricity is cheap if you don’t live in California.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or Ontario.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

MrYenko posted:

I did the numbers for my 3, and counting ONLY my commute (45mi round-trip, five days a week) and charging exclusively off-peak is ~$78 a year. Charging exclusively on-peak would roughly double that. The difference is minor enough that I don’t worry about it, and simply plug the damned thing in.

FPL’s new (June 2018) rates are roughly .13¢/KWh off, and .24¢/KWh on-peak. Add ~20% for usage over 1000KWh per billing cycle. I’m above 1000, but well under 2000, even in the depths of summer.

I saw one of those how much does it cost videos that showed gas in NV is roughly even with Cali (boo proximity) but power is half as much. Yay EV.

I'm waiting to see what Elon announces for specs this week, and probably finalizing my order then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

How the "aftermarket" game for hybrid / electric vehicles? Adding battery pack to hybrid/electric cars, upgrading electric motors etc. Anything like that going on?
If this sort of thing interests you then you should check out the EV conversion scene. Fair number of people doing interesting stuff with OEM components in classic (formerly) ICE cars

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

What mileage do you get? (yes I am officially declaring it ok to use mileage when talking about electric consumption) And how many work weeks? Home charged commute is cheap, but that seems a bit too cheap. $300-something would be more like it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've had an electric car since 2011 and mostly home charge. It comes out to be around 30$ a month for 1 car for us. I've had my model 3 since late January and I do about 200mi per week. Got that cheap pacific northwest hydro power. (We did actually attach a meter on our charger and I could get the full story for you later.)

edit: Checked our data - I've used 256kwh per month average over the last 3 months which comes to $32.00 per month.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 13, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

What mileage do you get? (yes I am officially declaring it ok to use mileage when talking about electric consumption) And how many work weeks? Home charged commute is cheap, but that seems a bit too cheap. $300-something would be more like it.

Im showing 260wh/mi lifetime over 1600mi. I figured on 52w/yr, not including vacation or sick days. (I work holidays)

MORE LIKE$300/YR IM SO loving BAD AT MATH

It was a very rough calc, and I'm bad at math. Its cheap, is what I'm trying to get across. :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Reason I asked is if shift workers get boned by peak charging rates to a point where a hybrid is probably cost equivalent. Back when I was commuting by car (all of 5 months ago) the Prius was costing me about $70CAD/mo, for roughly 80km/day (50mi/day) ~15 days a month (1200km/750mi per month, minus vacation time). I live in a rented condo with utilities included so I have no idea what electricity costs in southern Ontario, but I gather it's not cheap.
So quick napkin math, working shifts and charging on peak, I figure about a 50% monthly savings over the Prius going full electric?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Its cheap, is what I'm trying to get across. :v:

And you did. On minimum wage, you need to work 1 week to pay for an entire year's worth of transport energy. Not that someone on minimum wage are super likely to own an EV at present, but it will be more common sooner or later.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Im showing 260wh/mi lifetime over 1600mi. I figured on 52w/yr, not including vacation or sick days. (I work holidays)
Is this consumption rate typical for other Tesla owners? It sounds extremely good for a car that weights 3500+ lbs. Rule of thumb I've seen around a lot is 1 Whr/mile per 10 lbs of vehicle weight

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The Locator posted:

It sort of depends on why you are traveling as to weather or not it's better to drive vs. fly. Sometimes a trip is also about the journey, not just the destination, and in the case of the trips to Glacier Park, I would be staying there for several months so it was kind of nice to have my car with me while I was there.

I won't deal with flying for shorter trips (about 6 hours or less) as the airport is an hour drive, then at least another hour at the airport, then the flight, and an hour or so at the destination airport, and then I have to get a rental car or something, just easier to have my own car there.

Flying can also get expensive if you aren't going from one major hub to another. On less popular routes, you might also be limited in what departure times are available, or be stuck with an impractically long layover.

For what it's worth, this is why I've been looking forward to autonomous driving - I've fairly frequently made weekend trips to places far enough away that driving was more than a little inconvenient, but where flying would not have been cost effective. Being able to plug in a destination in the next state over and go to sleep would let me get to all kinds of places while using little to no vacation time. It would certainly be better for both the environment and my bank account to do that under electric power.

bawfuls posted:

If this sort of thing interests you then you should check out the EV conversion scene. Fair number of people doing interesting stuff with OEM components in classic (formerly) ICE cars

A few years back, someone was selling battery upgrades for the Prius which allowed short-range electric power, but that was apparently forgotten once Toyota started offering the plug-in Prius.

Plus there's a bunch of companies offering large-format lithium iron phosphate batteries, so you can actually get respectable range out of a homebrew EV (if you've got the money, that is). Someone mentioned electric scooters a couple pages back - I was thinking it might be fun to get an old Vespa, a quality motor, and some LiFe3PO4 batteries.

Now I'm curious: Is it at all possible to set up a homebuilt EV to plug into public charging stations?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

A few years back, someone was selling battery upgrades for the Prius which allowed short-range electric power, but that was apparently forgotten once Toyota started offering the plug-in Prius.

Plus there's a bunch of companies offering large-format lithium iron phosphate batteries, so you can actually get respectable range out of a homebrew EV (if you've got the money, that is). Someone mentioned electric scooters a couple pages back - I was thinking it might be fun to get an old Vespa, a quality motor, and some LiFe3PO4 batteries.

Now I'm curious: Is it at all possible to set up a homebuilt EV to plug into public charging stations?
Yes, it's very possible (requires something like this and this) and I'm trying to do just that myself. The LiFePO4 batteries were the standard a few years back but now people are using salvaged OEM batteries, in particular Tesla modules because they have better energy density and real world data from thousands of Tesla owners indicates they also age well compared to other lithium packs. Price is still a bit of a barrier though.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 13, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Yes, all of them apart from Tesla superchargers. Even that can possibly be hacked, because it relies on some authentication process, but then you're being a jerk. All others are simply accessed by providing the correct voltages on the correct leads, any authentication for payment etc obviously relies on some token you have on your person, like an RFID chip. The Zero motorcycle community are pretty well versed on that, I think driven by the fact that there is a lot of J1772 charging available for free in the US, so you can get 6-9 kW by adding some aftermarket charging hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bawfuls posted:

Is this consumption rate typical for other Tesla owners? It sounds extremely good for a car that weights 3500+ lbs. Rule of thumb I've seen around a lot is 1 Whr/mile per 10 lbs of vehicle weight

Last I did the math I was at 280Whr/km, but I haven’t tracked it lately. (The last 50km are 216.) My car weighs 5800lbs, fwiw.

• Locked thread