Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korea has the best healthcare I've personally used. The most I ever spent living there was like ten bucks (the doctor visit and the medicine combined), the doctors I went to were super professional, no wizard poo poo. Korea does have TCM but it's separated from the actual medical system. It was great.

I even was there once on vacation and my eye was hurting like crazy so I went to have it checked out. Had scans and got medicine and stuff, not as a resident and with no health insurance, and it was all still under a hundred bucks. They got their poo poo together, medical-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toronto: "Unlicensed driver crashes new McLaren 720S into parked Audi R8"

https://i.imgur.com/ykskRXg.mp4

"A Chinese passport was recovered from the car after the driver took off"

E: here's actual video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-6c7VzHm0

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 11, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I still can't figure out Taiwan's obsession with TCM.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Lol the Supreme sticker makes so much sense

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still can't figure out Taiwan's obsession with TCM.

Anecdotally though, most people see it as like vitamins and poo poo, stuff to keep you holistically healthy, but not to replace real medicine. Which is fine I think.

I'd actually be really interested in seeing numbers on people in the Sinosphere who believe in TCM as a replacement for actual medicine, versus people in the west who believe the same for various western woo like chiropractors or homeopathy

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Cant wait for that douche to get a light slap on his wrists, and learn absolutely nothing.

Like this guy:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-ferrari-driver-hit-with-750-fine-for-doing-150-km-h-over-limit-1.3921649

quote:

A Ferrari driver who was clocked at triple the speed limit in Vancouver last summer has been hit with a $750 fine and 16 months of driver probation as punishment for his fourth speeding offence since 2015.

Yihao Wang, 23, was caught doing 210 km/h in a 60-km/h zone across the Lions Gate Bridge last July, in his white 2015 Ferrari 458.

That'll show him!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fish and chips and dip posted:

Cant wait for that douche to get a light slap on his wrists, and learn absolutely nothing.

Like this guy:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-ferrari-driver-hit-with-750-fine-for-doing-150-km-h-over-limit-1.3921649

That'll show him!

- Four speeding offences in 3 years.
- Doing 210 KM/h in a loving 60 km/h zone (that's 130mph in a 35 zone for you Yanks)

This rear end in a top hat didn't lose his permit / get a jail sentence because ... ?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Where I live it's automatic loss of license for doing more than 45 km/h over the limit, in addition to fines and other possible charges. I thought Canada was a civilised country?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

- Four speeding offences in 3 years.
- Doing 210 KM/h in a loving 60 km/h zone (that's 130mph in a 35 zone for you Yanks)

This rear end in a top hat didn't lose his permit / get a jail sentence because ... ?

Obviously the Vancouver PD does not want to hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

But seriously, being from Scandinavia, this just blows my loving mind. Where I am from you'd lose your license for being 36kmh over, and you'd go to prison for 96kmh over in a 60kmh zone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GotLag posted:

Where I live it's automatic loss of license for doing more than 45 km/h over the limit, in addition to fines and other possible charges. I thought Canada was a civilised country?

It is here but money loving talks.

You can go in and just ask to see the calibration records for the radar/laser device and they'll drop most tickets down to minimum.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

https://gizmodo.com/australia-bans-cash-for-all-purchases-over-7-500-start-1825946888

If this isn't at least somewhat about China I'm the ghost of Deng Xiaoping.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Platystemon posted:

How often do you get ear infections?

I’ve had one, when I was fiveish.

FYI he swims in Chinese pools

I can only speculate about chlorination adequacy, but join me, speculation is fun

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

china's healthcare system is actually quite good,

for example, I have reoccurring ear infections, and it costs about .85 USD to go talk to the doctor. I see them almost immediately, they look at my ear,
in fact, when I'm back in the states, I fear getting an ear infection, because it will be expensive AF, as im uninsured and I live in china,

smells like whataboutism, brother

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Honestly it kind of wraps around, doing 130 in a 35 and not crashing is respectable. I can dig that. Horrifically irresponsible, naturally, but I appreciate it in its own way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Like if you’re gonna speed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

Like if you’re gonna speed

...plow into an Audi. Yeah yeah I read the instructions.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pirate Radar posted:

Honestly it kind of wraps around, doing 130 in a 35 and not crashing is respectable. I can dig that. Horrifically irresponsible, naturally, but I appreciate it in its own way.
It's a bridge. It's probably one of those "speed limit is so low for no apparent reason" situations. Most bridges around here people regularly do 160km/h+ on in shitbox cars. Intentionally gunning it on a bridge in a real nice car makes sense. People speed so much and old people whine so much about it that sometimes they park police cars at the entrance to the bridge lmao.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 11, 2018

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
Tour group of Chinese students visiting a local elementary school. 99% of them huddled shoulder-to-shoulder in the shade, and it's only 70°f/20°C out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplefish posted:

FYI he swims in Chinese pools

I can only speculate about chlorination adequacy, but join me, speculation is fun

Well I know we didn’t find Khrushchev’s account.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Lupin posted:

Tour group of Chinese students visiting a local elementary school. 99% of them huddled shoulder-to-shoulder in the shade, and it's only 70°f/20°C out.

Why are they visiting a local elementary school?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

It's a bridge. It's probably one of those "speed limit is so low for no apparent reason" situations. Most bridges around here people regularly do 160km/h+ on in shitbox cars. Intentionally gunning it on a bridge in a real nice car makes sense. People speed so much and old people whine so much about it that sometimes they park police cars at the entrance to the bridge lmao.

Yeah, but embedding a supercar into a concrete divider doesn't run the risk of destroying a suspension line or bucking the roadway enough and dropping a length of thoroughfare into a water feature.

Lupin posted:

I'm the collective body heat reaching like 85°F in the shade, but not the resulting bad breath-grade perspiration.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Saw a lady today with one of those surgical masks being used as an ineffective barrier for fine particulate pollution (in Vancouver)

She had cut a hole in it for her mouth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lupin posted:

They really don't like sunlight over here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The chinese fear of sunlight can get pretty ridiculous. I saw a big group of tourists, mostly 20-somethings not old grannies, all huddled under huge black umbrellas. At the same time they were all zipped in in parkas because it was only like 18c out. Everyone else around them is enjoying the spring weather, the sun, the warmth, and they're huddled under umbrellas while also dressed for arctic survival. They were moving in a tight group like some roman turtle formation because there weren't enough umbrellas for everyone and obviously even a few seconds in direct sunlight would explode them like a vampire.

Like god drat you're already in jackets with hoods, hats with visors, you're going to be ok, enjoy the weather and your vacation.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LentThem posted:

these people are going to be your in-laws

yeah i hate them and they hate me

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

mikerock posted:

Saw a lady today with one of those surgical masks being used as an ineffective barrier for fine particulate pollution (in Vancouver)

She had cut a hole in it for her mouth.

the hole is really weird but usually it's not for pollution, but because they're sick and don't want to infect others

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

a7m2 posted:

the hole is really weird but usually it's not for pollution, but because they're sick and don't want to infect others

People do use them for pollution though, and I see them sold for such. I also like when people have the mask pulled down to expose their nose, that's helpful.

Once I saw a dude who had a proper 3M pollution mask with a hole cut in it for his cigarette.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

a7m2 posted:

yeah i hate them and they hate me

I hope your wife to be is on your side, and not on her parents side. My father in law is a horrible rear end in a top hat, but that's OK as long as my wife isn't afraid to straight up tell him to go gently caress himself.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

People do use them for pollution though, and I see them sold for such. I also like when people have the mask pulled down to expose their nose, that's helpful.

Once I saw a dude who had a proper 3M pollution mask with a hole cut in it for his cigarette.

Amazing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lupin posted:

I'm gonna go with too much sunlight to play phone except in the shade

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Lol but also wouldn’t a cigarette filter genuinely help wrt pollution?

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JFKYGC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

I feel boosted and ready to take a walk in a big circle while I slap my shoulders and thighs!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Considering Chinese people don't trust china grown food products, is it much of a stretch that they don't trust sunscreen? It tends to be expensive, and I can' imagine that foreign made and purchased sunscreen is costly. Much easier to huddle in the shade. Plus if everyone else is doing it, you must also huddle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never seen Chinese made sunscreen. I presume it exists. In Korea you never buy the Korean made stuff because it all has skin bleach in it.

My assumption is they have some bizarre TCM belief about sunscreen being dangerous.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Sunscreen protects against UV rays but not from the fire-qi energy that will kill you dead if you spend even one minute outside in direct sunlight, or even worse, it will make your skin black

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea has the best healthcare I've personally used. The most I ever spent living there was like ten bucks (the doctor visit and the medicine combined), the doctors I went to were super professional, no wizard poo poo. Korea does have TCM but it's separated from the actual medical system. It was great.

I even was there once on vacation and my eye was hurting like crazy so I went to have it checked out. Had scans and got medicine and stuff, not as a resident and with no health insurance, and it was all still under a hundred bucks. They got their poo poo together, medical-wise.

And yet Korean doctors are villified the way teachers are in the US. I don't know why anyone becomes a doctor in Korea if they don't even get paid well or respected.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Darkest Auer posted:

it will make your skin black

Actually I know Chinese people who believe this and think sunscreen doesn't work. An umbrella is all you need.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

a7m2 posted:

That would require consideration for others.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
In Thailand I saw Chinese tourists at the beach wading around in thigh-deep water while shielding themselves with umbrellas

Bajaj posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JFKYGC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

I feel boosted and ready to take a walk in a big circle while I slap my shoulders and thighs!

Speaking of healthy slapping, I was taking a walk after lunch and saw two people shuffling along together and using unopened bananas to beat themselves around the neck and shoulder blades. I assume this is healthy somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Blistex posted:

That would require consideration for others.

Yes the real reason is so you can cough without covering your mouth and nobody will shout at you

Even though the efficacy of surgical masks when damp (say because they've been coughed into all day) is questionable

• Locked thread