Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Rome 2 makes the most sense from a business perspective. If they make the base robust enough you could stretch the time period from Babylon to the early middle ages somewhat feasibly. And sell each one of those timline chunks for 10 to 15 dollars.

I don't know if I'd buy Rome 2 after buying Sengoku or March of the Eagles on release. Paradox's record of abandoning games that aren't mainline is... well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

I don't know if I'd buy Rome 2 after buying Sengoku or March of the Eagles on release. Paradox's record of abandoning games that aren't mainline is... well.

Crusader Kings wasn't mainline until it started making boatloads of cash. Sengoku and mote were clearly never designed to be expanded as much as at least my hypothetical Rome 2

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beamed posted:

I don't think Rome 2 would be a throwaway project for them like Sengoku/March of the Eagles was. Those games were one-and-dones, with no real expectations of future support. Rome 1 had a somewhat decent amount of support with fair number of post-release patches and an expansion. But they stopped because the fan support wasn't there. If the fan support for Rome 2 were to exist, then yeah, I could definitely see them iterating on that for a while.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Beamed posted:

Do you mean abandoning as in not continuing patching and fixing things? I mean we don't really release games in the state of back then anymore.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Sengoku and MotE were both focused on super narrow settings. Rome 2 leaves open literally the entirety of antiquity.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

If it's Rome 2 then I'm going to start a faction to overthrow Johan :argh:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still hoping against hope for Sengoku 2. It's my favorite historical era, though I know I'm very much in a minority here.

Something focused on China would also be cool. Taiping rebellion or the Qing conquest of the Ming would be my preferred eras.

E:drat phoneposting can't even autocorrect properly

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 12, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Actually, Sengoku something would be pretty neato I'd be okay with that. uh i mean VICTORIA 3 OR I'LL FABRICATE CLAIMS ON YOUR WIFE :argh:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Rome2 would be very disappointing and I feel like Victoria 3 would have a bigger playerbase these days. Maybe they've come up with something entirely new as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My totally accurate and perfectly reliable guess would be on Rome 2. I base it on that Paradox looked into working with Jon Shafer (which I believe didn't happen because they wanted different things with... whatever they discussed and went separate ways with no hard feelings).

Tomn posted:

Goddamn it, this is what I get for phone posting.

But yeah, I can’t recommend Children of the NILE enough. Monumental architecture in the most literal sense, a well-developed economy based on food as currency, a government run by the few educated elites and heavily reliant on priests, and a relaxed, repetitive cycle of flooding, planting, and harvesting that all does a ton for immersion in the gentle rhythms of ancient Egypt.

If you’ve played one Impressions citybuilder you’ve played like 90% of them all.
CotN was good but it didn't have nearly enough maps to play.

Well true but Emperor was the best one, mostly because of roadblocks and residential walls.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Rome2 would be very disappointing and I feel like Victoria 3 would have a bigger playerbase these days. Maybe they've come up with something entirely new as well.

Now don't go hating on Rome. There's not a lot of games that cover that time period and it's extremely interesting from both a historical and a cultural standpoint.
Uh, I mean. Yeah! Victoria 3 would be way better! I want my factories back!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Romes cool but it has a lot of overlap with EU4.

While there is nothing quite like Vicky out there

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Surprise twist answer: EU5, but with Vicky pops.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tomn posted:

The game everyone wants but we're not allowed to have it.

Though really based on how the first Rome game went, the sequel could potentially be the "EU but with bits of CK and Vicky rammed into it" that people have been asking for.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don't forget MotE was Paradox picking up a project that AGEOD had heavily dropped the ball on (because they are bad) and trying to deliver something, and to that extent It Is A Game and you can see how some of the design elements influenced future paradox games so it's not a total loss.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Rome 2 makes the most sense from a business perspective. If they make the base robust enough you could stretch the time period from Babylon to the early middle ages somewhat feasibly. And sell each one of those timline chunks for 10 to 15 dollars.

Don't give them ideas

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Don't give them ideas

What do you mean, give them ideas? Have you heard of CK2?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Groogy posted:

I mean we don't really release games in the state of back then anymore.

Counterpoint: Stellaris

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Obliterati posted:

Counterpoint: Stellaris

I mean from what I remember Stellaris didn't keep crashing on first startup and didn't get that fixed until like 2 years later...
*cough* Vicky2....

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

I mean from what I remember Stellaris didn't keep crashing on first startup and didn't get that fixed until like 2 years later...
*cough* Vicky2....

I too remember when I had to ask someone on these forums to upload their mapcache so Stellaris would run at all...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm betting it's Asia Universalis. Well probably not but a game set in China would be awesome, and they could do a lot to flesh out the rest of East Asia.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Groogy posted:

That if it isn't just a re-release of Vicky2 then you will just say it is a dumbed downed version with manas.

That’s right bitch

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm betting it's Asia Universalis. Well probably not but a game set in China would be awesome, and they could do a lot to flesh out the rest of East Asia.

Three Kingdoms Universalis

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
When is the announcement?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Kanthulhu posted:

When is the announcement?

Looks like 12:30 - May 20th.

May 20 - 12:30 - https://pdxcon.paradoxplaza.com/agenda posted:

New Title from PDS - TBA at PDXCON
Seminar will not be streamed - Exclusively for PDXCON visitors

Johan Andersson
EVP Creative Director, Paradox Development Studio

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If there isn't a cadre of goons liveposting then starting the revolt when it isn't v3 I will....uh....cut funding to infrastructure?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

If there isn't a cadre of goons liveposting then starting the revolt when it isn't v3 I will....uh....cut funding to infrastructure?

Raise taxes on all Swedish Game Developer pops so they can no longer afford luxury goods.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

bees everywhere posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

What are you gonna do, send the dogs after me? Or the bees?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

*cough* Vicky2....

The German release of V2 couldn't be installed without a patch, thanks to the local publisher loving up.

Tomn posted:

Those explorer POPs take forever to focus up if you're not France, Spain, Portugal or England. :argh:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's gonna be a reboot of Seiken Densetsu but without mana

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I'd be all over a, uh, Futsuuken Densetsu

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/teaser-3-13th-of-may-2018.1097498/

Next teaser.

drat you Johan for talking like its Victoria 3, men you literally said you would not make Victoria 3 yet.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pooned posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/teaser-3-13th-of-may-2018.1097498/

Next teaser.

drat you Johan for talking like its Victoria 3, men you literally said you would not make Victoria 3 yet.

It's not going to be Victoria 3 it'll just be a pop based internally focused map game set in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hearts of Iron 5.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Hearts of Iron 5.

Official release of Kaiserreich, as a standalone game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Fuuuuck.

When does this actually get announced?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

spectralent posted:

Fuuuuck.

When does this actually get announced?

They're partnering with Valve to make Half Life 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's going to be Runemaster.