Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the WEC stuff is more like the old power/weight rules back in the day where stuff like your minimum weight and tire size was dependent on your engine displacement, which is different than making sure that the lovely rear end BMWs can beat the Ford GTs because BMW is spending a shitload of money to be in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

BoP should go away, and would if the P2 cars were split off.

The actual DPi cars are so much faster it's not even funny.

Basically I just want to see a full set if competitive cars, and right now that's the only class that has even a snowballs chance in hell at doing it.

If you un-BoP'd them the DPi class would fall apart overnight. The only requirement to build a DPi is to be at least as fast as the Oreca P2, but there's no maximum limit. Uncapped 1 (maybe 2) of them will almost certainly be faster than the rest, all the manufacturers signed up under the idea of the class being balanced and if that's taken away either the guys in last will just bail or you'll get a development war that will destroy the class through rising costs.

I would love to see a class based around a strict set of tech regs with no BoP but the second someone comes along (probably BMW) and says "we'll show up if you give us a waiver in exchange for this cash" IMSA (or the ACO, SRO or whoever) would cave instantly and it'd be back to BoP.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I mean, I fully agree with banning BMW from racing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iwentdoodie posted:

BoP should go away, and would if the P2 cars were split off.

No, it wouldn’t. IMSA would still want to make sure the OEMs had a chance and would peg back one make if it had too much of an advantage.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

No, it wouldn’t. IMSA would still want to make sure the OEMs had a chance and would peg back one make if it had too much of an advantage.

They should probably already look at pegging back Caddie...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://sportscar365.com/other-series/n24/rast-on-triple-duty-its-my-busiest-weekend-ever/

quote:

Rene Rast says this weekend’s Nürburgring event has been his busiest yet, as the German takes part in four races with three different teams and in two significantly different Audis.

The reigning DTM champion is listed in both of the Audi Sport-backed WRT and Land Audi R8 LMS GT3 cars for the Nürburgring 24, while also competing in the three FIA WTCR rounds in an Audi RS 3 LMS TCR as a guest entrant.

:stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

God drat

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I got my battlestation ready boys

F1 quali, the 24, Indy GP, F1 race

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Vanthoor's pole lap onboard, its just 9+ minutes of :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RwbRTXN45E

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basticle posted:

I got my battlestation ready boys

F1 quali, the 24, Indy GP, F1 race

All this plus also FIA WRX in Blegium.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
There were also two WTCR races today, and ELMS qualifying and LeMans cup today, and Blancpain Asia. What a time to be alive

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We're live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOzJPBhlVY

And the Fox Tail is flapping :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

We're live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOzJPBhlVY

And the Fox Tail is flapping :getin:

Awesome, know what ive got on my TV for the next 24 hours

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

imagine going to this race and then paying to sit at the GP track

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rast is an awesome racing machine. I'm visiting the DTM races since about eight years, and seeing him in Porsche Super Cup was awesome (also Phillip Eng). Then watching him race in WEC was super cool, and allthough - I admit it - I hate Audi, I cheered and yelled for him at last years DTM finisher race in Hockenheim, and had such a big loving smile on my face when he actually won the championship.

He is an awesome guy, I once met him back when he was driving in the Porsche Cup and talked a couple of seconds to im in the pits, and he was so open and warm and approachable.

I'm a big Rast fan since then, and hope he wins a lot more races and championships. He's a very, very cool dude.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Basticle posted:

imagine going to this race and then paying to sit at the GP track

I used to be at Hatzenbach. Rather quiet in comparission to other parts ofthe track (I like that, not really a party animal). Somehow completely hosed up my work schedule this year, thus forgetting when the 24 hour race was....so I'm sitting here, and feeling a lot of grief :/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Go wheel, be freeeeeeeeeee!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

"I'm not sure I knew there was an Opel GTR car"

"And that pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Opel GTR car"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A driver getting out of his car to clean his radiator is the most endurance racing poo poo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iospace posted:

A driver getting out of his car to clean his radiator is the most endurance racing poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

And a driver going out on the public roads and through the town to get back to the pits because they wouldn't let him back on the course..

And now an on-the-grass pass for the lead.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Listening to Dirk Adorf (in the M4 GT4) on TV during a 24h hotlap is awesome....I really like this guy :)

also goddamn that audi crash :ohdear:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Dries Vanthoor has toasted that car.

e: the slowing Merc was unsighted and he hit the car on his right

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

oooof

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
If anything its a miracle he didnt nail the Mercedes, bad as that crash was it could have gone a lot worse

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Misc Auto Racing 2018: A driver getting out of his car to clean his radiator is the most endurance racing poo poo

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CactusWeasle posted:

If anything its a miracle he didnt nail the Mercedes, bad as that crash was it could have gone a lot worse

Yeah, that could've been like Gidley's wreck at Daytona a few years ago.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

argh, there goes Rast and Frijns as well....tough luck, that's endurance racing, but wondering why that wasn't a code 60....did the merc slow down so recently?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

tuo posted:

argh, there goes Rast and Frijns as well....tough luck, that's endurance racing, but wondering why that wasn't a code 60....did the merc slow down so recently?

Rast is also entered in the Land Audi I think.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The Merc was shown a couple of minute previously going slowly around with what appears to be a puncture. He was just trying to get back to the pits at a safe pace and to the side of the track.

Just really bad luck that he was in an awkard place for Dries to see him, AS he was alongside another car and he couldnt move further over, and just clipped it

lovely luck, is all

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xisticide posted:

Rast is also entered in the Land Audi I think.

oh yeah, of course! thanks!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Goddamn, Sabine Schmitz is just co-comenting on german tv and explained why she doesn't drive: she has/had cancer and is still in late chemo but already back racing and somehow made a helicopter license during chemo....what a lady

e: she's mainly concerned that the guys from the Opel Manta start to drink the beer of her team, leaving nothing to her

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Misc Racing 2018: mainly concerned that the guys start to drink the beer of her team, leaving nothing to her

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

tuo posted:

Goddamn, Sabine Schmitz is just co-comenting on german tv and explained why she doesn't drive: she has/had cancer and is still in late chemo but already back racing and somehow made a helicopter license during chemo....what a lady

e: she's mainly concerned that the guys from the Opel Manta start to drink the beer of her team, leaving nothing to her

gently caress

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
The nurb 24 kind of reminds me of the times I've driven across Germany. Stretches where you go really fast with intermittent slow zones (road works) and lots of traffic since you are bound to hit rush hour at some point during the trip.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hello Darkness my old friend fiend

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"Sabine Schmitz" posted:

Normally, you think you are overdriving the car and yourself during the night, but overall, you are maybe twenty or thirty seconds slower than during the day.....apart - of course - from those brain damaged ones with a nail in their head, they only loose maybe five or six seconds....but I'm too old for that

loving lol

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ferrari catches fire? Ehhh gently caress, send it anyway

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"the fire extinguisher is on fire"

MrChips posted:

Ferrari catches fire? Ehhh gently caress, send it anyway

The one single ferrari in the race and it catches fire because of course it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The WTCC is less of a dumpster fire this year....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fy_8-fsjPY