Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

So why is Adam so much more powerful than JC? Seems like Gunther should own the hell out of JC.

he's not. by end game deus ex jc can regen faster than people can hurt him, run at lightspeed and explode icbms fired at him while they are sitting at their launch silos. it's not shown as stylishly and you have to read it out of the gameplay mechanics, but jc is really powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also JC isn't trapped behind synchronized takedown animations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
JC doesn't need to eat lovely candy bars just to recharge his energy. Just take a couple power packs and turn on all your augs and kill everything.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also JC can melee down tank bots with dragonstooth and Mario jump enemiesto death

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, even Mid Game JC is obscenely powerful. MD kind of threw the system off a bit but HR was great at making mechs physically powerful but lacking the options that he had.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Until a giant hole opens up in Adam's forehead and a spy drone with EMP capabilities comes flying out, JC will always be superior.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Until a giant hole opens up in Adam's forehead and a spy drone with EMP capabilities comes flying out, JC will always be superior.

Let's be honest and just go with urethrea. Perfect drone delivery system and I can't imagine your average nanoagent is making much traditional use of the bits anyways.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
paul denton hosed and had a girlfriend. unfortunately new techniques attempted in the implantation process for his brother resulted in a stunting of the social skills, creating something like an offensive stereotype of autism.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Neurosis posted:

paul denton hosed and had a girlfriend. unfortunately new techniques attempted in the implantation process for his brother resulted in a stunting of the social skills, creating something like an offensive stereotype of autism.

What a shame. :geno:

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I don't care which in the line is the superior super soldier, but I appreciate that every generation of JC has the dry sarcasm genes down pat. The Illuminati probably has an algorithm that can identify genetic progeny in the line through pure sarcasm and tone of voice. "Oh yeah, that's another of those X models. God drat it."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can anyone give me an objective overview of what combat is like in Deus Ex? I'm trying to write a review of Dex, and ended up realizing that I can't even make an objective comparison, since I played DE so much that the combat just feels like... it's meant to be that way.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 9, 2018

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Large rectangles that run around aimlessly and do a slight standing ab crunch and say 'oof' when you shoot them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Clever reverse aiming system that emphasizes upgrading your skill with firearms but is also clunky. Rather than dealing with recoil and an expanding reticle, your targeting increases the longer you aim at someone and this zeroing in feature speeds up as you upgrade.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

Can anyone give me an objective overview of what combat is like in Deus Ex? I'm trying to write a review of Dex, and ended up realizing that I can't even make an objective comparison, since I played DE so much that the combat just feels like... it's meant to be that way.

How would you even go comparing the two games? Sure, both are about cyborgs and both have a title that starts with "D" and ends with "ex", but that's merely a thematic similarity. On the gameplay side, the genres are too completely different.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cat Mattress posted:

How would you even go comparing the two games? Sure, both are about cyborgs and both have a title that starts with "D" and ends with "ex", but that's merely a thematic similarity. On the gameplay side, the genres are too completely different.
?

Dex is 100% trying to be a 2d Deus Ex.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The keyword here is "2D".

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
"Indie 2D [cult classic 3D game]-like" is the worst trend in games

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

The keyword here is "2D".

and? Whats wrong with that? Makes sense if you have a small budget.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
My strategy for analyzing combat in games is to ask: "How do you win at this game? What are the most significant factors / things to worry about that can make the difference between success and failure?" Deus Ex goes out of its way to provide many different ways to win so that's kind of an open question, but you can focus it down by saying for example: "I want to win with guns. How do I do that?"

Beyond the blatantly obvious long term strategic factors (ie. invest in the guns skill if you want to use guns, use the bullet resistance and health regen augs if you want to live), the most important thing to worry about is the expanding/retracting reticle system. Unlike most systems like this, shooting your gun has no effect on the reticle, but it takes a very long time to go from fully expanded to fully retracted, so you're strongly punished for moving at all and greatly rewarded for standing still as long as possible. So, to have the best chance at winning you should find a way to safely stand still for long enough to retract your reticle before initiating combat. For single enemies this is as simple as staying out of their line of sight until you shoot them, but for rooms with multiple enemies you can find an advantageous place to stand - The vast majority of enemies can be killed near instantly even with the starting pistol, so there's little to no danger if you can find a spot that forces them to come at you one at a time (the AI is dumb as a rock so this is trivially easy to make happen). Staying out of line of sight is also advantageous here as it gives you time to find an optimal spot and max out your accuracy bonus before kicking things off. Finally, it should be noted that enemies in DX do extremely high damage but have extremely low accuracy, so if for whatever reason you don't kill them before they have a chance to start shooting, pure random luck becomes a significant factor in your chance of success.

So to recap: Gun combat in Deus Ex is all about picking the right place to stand and then shooting everyone in the room without moving from it. Kind of reminds me of 'gun-kata' from that movie Equilibrium, heh. Does that help?

MrJacobs posted:

and? Whats wrong with that? Makes sense if you have a small budget.
The point is that it makes the games different on a fundamental enough level that it becomes difficult or impossible to meaningfully compare their combat.

Lork fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 10, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Enemy behavior is a big part of DX's methodical combat. Aside from scripted confrontations or alarms enemies are either stationary or following a set patrol and whenever you wander into their vision cone there's a delay where they freeze and play an alert bark so you can either retreat before they turn hostile or take them down before they actually go hostile and start shooting. That particular behavior is especially why Dragon's Tooth + the speed aug are so potent.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Has that Youtube guy done "Equilibrium but with Deus Ex sound effects" yet? I smell an opportunity.

Guy Mann posted:

Enemy behavior is a big part of DX's methodical combat. Aside from scripted confrontations or alarms enemies are either stationary or following a set patrol and whenever you wander into their vision cone there's a delay where they freeze and play an alert bark so you can either retreat before they turn hostile or take them down before they actually go hostile and start shooting. That particular behavior is especially why Dragon's Tooth + the speed aug are so potent.
I guess on the most fundamental level the axiom of Deus Ex combat is: fight enemies one at a time, which will allow you to kill them before they have a chance to do anything, and you win. With the Dragon's Tooth instead of the expanding reticle you're concerned with closing the distance before enemies have a chance to respond, but it's just a different means to the same end.

Lork fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 10, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/05/12/report-eidos-montreal-head-says-deus-ex-is-not-dead.aspx

So Eidos still says Deus ex is progressing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I had legit wondered why superhero games were gaining so little traction. Superheroes are the biggest thing around right now. Apparently they're just five years late in development.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Neurosis posted:

he's not. by end game deus ex jc can regen faster than people can hurt him, run at lightspeed and explode icbms fired at him while they are sitting at their launch silos. it's not shown as stylishly and you have to read it out of the gameplay mechanics, but jc is really powerful.

I dunno about this. Adam has CASIE, can see through walls, can punch through said walls (wouldn't you trade a candy bar for a LAM?), has the Typhoon, can fall from any distance, and can run and jump and sprint and land silently. There are no trade-offs for Adam.

Active defense is pretty great, and JC has much better regeneration, but in terms of what you can do in the game world, Adam is more featured.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JC has a sick nano sword.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I dunno about this. Adam has CASIE, can see through walls, can punch through said walls (wouldn't you trade a candy bar for a LAM?), has the Typhoon, can fall from any distance, and can run and jump and sprint and land silently. There are no trade-offs for Adam.

Active defense is pretty great, and JC has much better regeneration, but in terms of what you can do in the game world, Adam is more featured.

JC can see through walls too, plus his jump-off-a-building is not only not tied to cutscene parachute, But has controlled drop and with lamladder doubles as 20ft certical jump and unlimited climb. Also dragonstooth means JC can not only punch through anything with less than 50% structural hardness But Also meleekill anything (looking at you tankbot) for unlimited amount Of time without needing to munch candy.

So Adam has a very real weakness of being forced to do self-caused cutscene for half his powers whereas JC works in realtime and isnt limited to 4 takedowns before candy break.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think takedowns requiring bioenergy was the most irritating part of the game to me easily. I spent the whole time energy-starved, and I was playing on console so it's not like I could use the guns very well instead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

More than anything I think JC's ability to actually use guns that don't suck is why he's better, has less to do with his augs. The rifle and MP always felt really weak in the new DX games, pistol was good, but only because of the special shoot-through-armor thing it got, sniper was nice but loving gigantic and starved for ammo.

Then JC can just tape down the trigger on the bullpup and empty a room full of guys, remembers that pistol headshots are a lethal takedown, and the sniper can blow up robots and open doors, the GEP gun is one of the best weapons in any game period, the flamethrower is downright broken, and the plasma rifle is absurdly good for the time in the game you get it, assuming you fix the damage bug.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

brap posted:

I think takedowns requiring bioenergy was the most irritating part of the game to me easily. I spent the whole time energy-starved, and I was playing on console so it's not like I could use the guns very well instead.

Yeah the fact that one energy bar recharged meant that the obvious min/max solution is to just always use that one bar and no others. I think the Directors Cut did something about this but I havent played it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah the fact that one energy bar recharged meant that the obvious min/max solution is to just always use that one bar and no others. I think the Directors Cut did something about this but I havent played it.

Any unfinished energy bar recharged, but the first bar would recharge even when you kicked it. It meant that all your powers basically had a one bar life cycle, because takedowns were so drat powerful and also would usually need to be used sequentially.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the Directors Cut did something about this but I havent played it.
You can now recharge TWO bards*. Wow.

* Unless you're playing on "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Those bards sure do look charged, I'll tell you what. :hankhill:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xander77 posted:

* Unless you're playing on "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty.

Honestly, this did fix most of the issues I had with the energy system in HR.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Doth thee has't a single fact to backeth yond up?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thou has't but 10 moments to scurry off, lest I choose to scribe yon name unto the registry of downed enemy soldiers.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 19, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

forsooth, rip

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

'zounds JC, a petard!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was wont for orange