Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Isis is hipster tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Isis is hipster tool
I've enjoyed Isis 1000% more than any Tool song I've ever heard, so if that makes me a hipster, I'm fine with that label.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Isis is hipster tool

neurosis:isis::chamomile:nembutal

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tool is the official band of the dunning-kruger effect

back when people still bought physical media in order to purchase a tool cd you had to tell the cashier your myers-briggs type

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jesus Lizard is on tour I’m just sayin.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Isis is edgelord? :shrug:

Now if you had said Sumac... :smug:
M'bad. I felt like elaborating with something like "Whenever I'm itching for some Tool barrage of simple, drop-tuned riffs" felt too silly. Then today I remembered just on which thread I'm posting and I came back to my senses. :cheeky:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

I get the hate on Vai, he's a goof-ball. I still love the guy, of course, but I'm an old who grew up worshipping him (he played Jack Butler in Crossroads, which is kinda like the Rocky of guitar nerd movies, and my guitar nerd friends and I must have watched that dumb movie 45 times back then) and the stuff he did with DLR on Eat 'Em and Smile and Skyscraper is simply amazingly awesome. Very earnest love for that stuff, it was the soundtrack of my Junior and Senior years of High School (with Van Halen's 5150 rounding out a great summer).

Oh hell yes, Crossroads was an awesome movie. Probably seen it 20+ times myself.

Can't see anybody hating Vai, who seems to be one of the nicest people on the planet, but can definitely understand that not everyone is into his stuff. Love some of his tracks (For the Love of God and Tender Surrender are amazing) but there's a lot of weird poo poo too. Then again, since he played with Zappa for a while I am not surprised at the, uh, less conventional stuff.

The 80s/90s really had some great players. Vai, Satriani, Jason Becker, Gary Moore, Vinnie Moore (no relation as far as I know), all the great thrash stuff (Megadeth's Rust in Peace, Metallica's And Justice for All, Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss)... I'm sure today's young people listen to players that are equally awesome to them but I can't really think of (m)any that appeal to me. Periphery has done some cool poo poo though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A lot of modern players want to have this flawless combination of perfect playing and perfect production but don’t seem to experiment or let themselves fail enough. I understand it though. I’m working on an EP and I never make progress because I’m always chasing something better and more refined. The internet has been wonderful for music/guitar but also invites many new ways to self criticize and compare yourself to what you feel is expected in the modern industry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

A lot of modern players want to have this flawless combination of perfect playing and perfect production but don’t seem to experiment or let themselves fail enough. I understand it though. I’m working on an EP and I never make progress because I’m always chasing something better and more refined. The internet has been wonderful for music/guitar but also invites many new ways to self criticize and compare yourself to what you feel is expected in the modern industry.
Whatup working on an EP that you can never finish buddy :(:hf::(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s becoming quite the white whale :(

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

You make a good point; it seems like a lot of the newer stuff is so freakin' clinical. Was listening to Jason Becker's "Altitudes" from the Perpetual Burn album in the car today and it has a more "gritty" feel to it, minor flaws. Same with Yngwie's first album. And Gary Moore's Dirty Fingers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s becoming quite the white whale :(

Record everything in one take and leave it as lo-fi as possible just to get it done. Refine it later. That's what I did with my stupid "EP."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

s.i.r.e. posted:

Record everything in one take and leave it as lo-fi as possible just to get it done. Refine it later. That's what I did with my stupid "EP."
I wrote/recorded all the songs on my EP a long time ago. It's the refining part that's taking loving forever. I'll spend like several hours on one part of one song and feel like I've wasted a lot of time even if I got a little bit accomplished.

The last time I did this, I wasn't doing it all by myself which made it dramatically easier.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's what I don't get: I don't want rock/metal records to sound perfect. As long as they can keep time, a small screw-up here and there is perfectly fine. As someone who often only did his job as a recording engineer, I tried to encourage musicians I worked with to humanize themselves and their music. Like, I can appreciate Paul Waggoner, Tosin Abasi, or the Periphery guys trying to play their stuff near flawlessly live, but at the end of the day, I'm gonna prefer to see some beautiful, noisy motherfuckery happen. I think this is the reason I rediscovered my love for Sleep and High on Fire. Pike and Cisneros' tones sound very crude and crass.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wrote/recorded all the songs on my EP a long time ago. It's the refining part that's taking loving forever. I'll spend like several hours on one part of one song and feel like I've wasted a lot of time even if I got a little bit accomplished.

The last time I did this, I wasn't doing it all by myself which made it dramatically easier.

Yeah, the refining part if you care about it, is going to take a long rear end time. But getting the whole package done is so drat rewarding. It's a moneyshot.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

In one of his youtube-videos Andrew Huang mentions that he never does more than 4 takes on a single recording, and that guy puts out a ton of music.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's always a good idea to watch Craigslist for any can't miss deals, like this beauty:

"guitar wall decor - $5"

"need sold fast. no holds"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Guys who can barely play their instruments are a lot cooler than guys who are super technical

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A human heart posted:

Guys who can barely play their instruments are a lot cooler than guys who are super technical
I have no idea how to read music and no formal training in any instrument or anything, I just want my poo poo to sound cool :negative:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would be a lot more successful if I said gently caress it and just ate musical glass like that one weirdo noise dork

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah i listen to tracks my metal band put out 10/11 years ago (recorded in a room with real drums) and theres no way the quality would float these days compared to the super loud/clean/precise poo poo expected.

Its a really stupid barrier to entry for metal specifically, it should be about cool riffs and a tight band (playing to each other, not a click) not about how autistically you can sperge out about overproduction.

Vvvvvvv :yeah:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A human heart posted:

This is a truism.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I find the rejection of technicality super lame but I feel you all for sure on the rest of it. Raw music is timeless and never gets worked down by time. Early 2010s overproduced metal already sounds super dated.

There are some who pull it off though. I love Angel Vivaldi’s music. He does the high gloss virtuoso guitar thing but it works and fits his style perfectly.

I suppose the real issue with a lot of modern stuff is that they seem to see production as something that can be perfected and “won” vs another organic way to extend your creativity. I don’t know. I don’t want to criticize too much. If the bands are creating music that fulfills them and brings joy to their listeners then that’s all that needs to be done.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
All the best metal is made by dudes who can only afford an hour of studio time plugging lovely pedals into lovely amps and hoping for the best.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I find the rejection of technicality super lame but I feel you all for sure on the rest of it. Raw music is timeless and never gets worked down by time. Early 2010s overproduced metal already sounds super dated.

There are some who pull it off though. I love Angel Vivaldi’s music. He does the high gloss virtuoso guitar thing but it works and fits his style perfectly.

I suppose the real issue with a lot of modern stuff is that they seem to see production as something that can be perfected and “won” vs another organic way to extend your creativity. I don’t know. I don’t want to criticize too much. If the bands are creating music that fulfills them and brings joy to their listeners then that’s all that needs to be done.

I think there's a canyon gap between "I like listening to music that sounds rough and imperfect" and "I'm judging my own music and like that it sounds rough and imperfect". No matter how much lo-fi I like in any creative medium when I make it myself I can't look past the mistakes.

I'm pretty sure this is where artists use the strategic application of cocaine to convince themselves their fuckups make a statement.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

field balm posted:

Yeah i listen to tracks my metal band put out 10/11 years ago (recorded in a room with real drums) and theres no way the quality would float these days compared to the super loud/clean/precise poo poo expected.

Its a really stupid barrier to entry for metal specifically, it should be about cool riffs and a tight band (playing to each other, not a click) not about how autistically you can sperge out about overproduction.

Vvvvvvv :yeah:

Plenty of current metal bands play sloppily and don't use clean production, unless you're doing like tech death or prog metal or something that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Behold The Arctopus is good because more notes per minute = better, more efficient songs. This also is why Dragonforce sounds awesome live.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I hardly ever think music sounds overproduced. On the other hand, there are a lot of songs I like but wish sounded better. The first track on Russian Circles' debut album is amazing live, but the record sounds so wimpy and cheap.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A human heart posted:

Plenty of current metal bands play sloppily and don't use clean production, unless you're doing like tech death or prog metal or something that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Current bands maybe, but not modern ones, if that makes sense. I would argue that 'prog/death metal' covers pretty much everythong that isnt sounding grody on purpose, like doom/thrash/black.

I think it stems from being studip bands first and foremost and not jamming poo poo out. They get used to playing to a click, and if youre doing that why not trigger all your patches etc via midi from the pc?

Id argue that production is not a skill that a member of a band should have to have. This has nothing to do with how well played or technical your parts are.

The thing that sticks in my mind was a bit on youtube with the periphery rythm guitarist talking about how the pc changes his gain and noise gate settings constantly, like several times within one riff. gently caress that imo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know this until my friend got involved with one of these but:
It's becoming normal for live performances by bands with a rich donor/sponsor/member, even completely un-tested and proof-of-concept projects (like tribute bands) to have a full a/v setup and everything, I mean everything, runs off the master clock of a controlling rig.

Real Life Example™: Guy wants to do a tribute band and he's loaded. It's an 80's band with the basic lineup of drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, and lead singer. The show is based around multiple costume and instrument changes to represent each "era" of this band. There's a fully produced video in the back, and the guitarist (whomever THAT is) is stuck with the band-owner's Kemper which is connected to this master time-keeper. Some people can hack it, some can't; but I was surprised this kind of automation was even within reach of project bands without any label support. Just funded by the one well-too-do peson who always wanted to make a living in music and has decided entering the "tribute band" market is the way to do it.

I knew this sort of thing (especially playing to a master click and syncing with pre-recorded backup tracks) was common on the pro/semi-pro (if that even makes sense, it was what came to mind) level but I had no idea there were people automating entire shows based on one guy's disposable income/tax write-off.

P.S. - Friend got out and fast, but more because of the tribute thing (costumes, gimmick, that stuff) and wanted to try putting out his own stuff, which he's actually doing.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah ive known metal/post metal dudes playing to in ear clicks with a macbook brain for best part of ten years. Its the availability of kempers/axe fx that has made the midi control just ridiculous.

Its boring to do. No stage volume, dudes dont wanna go to practice rooms cause they can 'practice' to their pc at home. It can make ok music (for a certain value of ok) but its soulless, and i believe leads to much faster burnout for musicians.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The project I'm playing bass for at the moment is all click track stuff. Only the drummer is working off the click and we're playing to him so hasn't made any difference to me really - moving to in ears soon as we've a bunch of massive festival stages coming up, it's cheaper than renting the full backline, and I'm running a sansamp to FoH anyway so the amp is fairly irrelevant. I suspect that will take more getting used to than the click did.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm a little torn.

I myself enjoy playing with a guitar stack on stage that behaves like I expect it to and beefs up the sound by bouncing it around in hundred year old vacuum tube technology. I like playing along to the other members of the band, and in unison creating the music in the moment we play it, although it will probably never sound exactly the same twice in a row or sound the same as it did on the album. But it may also sound better than the album or our last performance.

Whatever floats other bands' boats I don't really care about, as long as I have fun at their shows. There are a few settings where I find it a little off-putting. For one thing, I find myself standing further back at such metal/hc shows instead of being in the pit or in front of the stage, because when everything is in-ear and the guitar sound is just run through a kemper or a mac that also houses the click, strings or other backing track, there is absolutely no sound coming from the stage area apart from drums and vocals, and to hear the guitars you have to go back to where you get the full sound of the PA towers. The singer keeps yelling "come forward" between songs, and I'd love to, but that means missing out on the music.

There's an amazingly technical band around here that plays skatepunk and always aim to replicate the albums perfectly. They also have a great stage presence, but they always bring their Kempers, in ear systems that they control themselves, everything on wireless etc. Basically tech you'd expect on large touring stadion bands on a band that often plays for gas money. Once I saw them play on a crappy PA with a stoned sound tech, and I noticed that one of the guitarists had no sound out of the PA. Somewhere there was a cable mishap or other screw up with that particular channel. Funny thing is that neither he nor anyone else on stage noticed it, because they all heard his guitar perfectly in their in-ear systems with perfect sound fed from his Kemper.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember going to see Veil of Maya and seeing their stage basically "naked" was extremely wtf-worthy. Like, when I saw Periphery (different show), they still had their whole setup (AxeFx + Power Amp) in case their MacBook / Pro-Tools crashes so that they can play a show... which then happened. And it was honestly a much better show for it. When I realized that, regardless of the fact that they didn't have their show "on wheels" anymore, that the motherfuckers can still play, despite me not being a fan, it made me respect them a ton more.

Also, lol at them and Windham Hill Metal veteran Tosin Abasi being the evangelists of Kempers / Axe-Fx and, last time I checked, Tosin had basically relegated his Axe-Fx II to being a glorified D.I. for his acoustic guitar and was rocking an all-analog setup; and the Periphery guys going like "drat, we want a piece of that".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The worst is Doom/Sludge guys using that modeling poo poo. Dude, that specific music is 100% about amplifier worship. What the gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The worst is Doom/Sludge guys using that modeling poo poo. Dude, that specific music is 100% about amplifier worship. What the gently caress.

This is absolutely the worst thing in the world, I hate it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Gear prescriptivism is dumb and bad but playing doom while not being marinated by a wall of low-end noise seems like kinda missing the point.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's like a bluegrass band playing synthesizers. I would get mad if I ever saw such a show.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kjetting posted:

That's like a bluegrass band playing synthesizers. I would get mad if I ever saw such a show.

see, I think your argument is the exact opposite of what you want it to be, because now I'm just hearing

"show tonight?"

"who's playing?"

"some synthesizer bluegrass band"

"holy gently caress where are my shoes, we need to get down there now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tearout DnB Bluegrass sounds like a missed opportunity to me.