Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Can I ask what took so long? None of that seems too time consuming unless the tortillas gave you hell.

I was curious, so I estimated. All the following are active times only:
code:
Tortillas: 
	15 min mix (ish... my wife did it)
	30 min roll & cook
Fruit salad:
	5 min stem & seed peppers, toast in oven
	5 min grind peppers into chile powder
	4 min stem & seed peppers, toast in oven
	3 min blend with vinegar for "Bufalo" salsa
	10 min cut watermelon and pineapple
	2 min juice orange
	10 min queso fresco
Steak:
	3 min toast and grind spices
	3 min juice orange and mix marinade
	10 min remove silver skin (I'm not practiced & fast at this)
	3 min remove excess marinade
	6 min grilling
	2 min carving
Quesadillas:
	2 min rinse beans
	6 min char poblanos, steam, peel and cut into strips
	3 min cook onions and spices
	3 min combine beans & veggies, mash half
	3 min grate 1 lb cheese in food processor
	5 min run outside to pick cilantro
	10 min assembly
	3 min babysitting under broiler (total time 10 min, I watched near the end)
Quesadilla salsa:
	4 min roast veggies
	2 min juice lime and blend with veggies
Guac:
	15 min
Coffee popsicles (not pictured)
	10 min
That's 3 hours I can easily account for, not counting a ton of dishes and the inefficiency of not being active 100% of the time.

e: ew what a bad snipe. Have an easier meal from last week:

green Thai curry

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Edit: I'd like to point out the contrast between tortillas of the posts adjacent to this one. Warm your tortillas people.

It is totally bizarre to me that people can eat cold corn tortillas. It's like eating an unpeeled orange or something.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

vonnegutt posted:

They look tasty! Two things could make them more aesthetic:
- Beat the sugar and the butter for wayyy longer than you think you need to. If you have a stand mixer do it for five full minutes. You want the butter to lighten in color by two shades. By really beating air into the butter, your cookies get a finer, more tender crumb.

- Try resting the dough in the fridge for as long as you can stand - overnight is the absolute best but even an hour will have an impact.
The uneven browning should go away and they should spread more evenly.

Thanks for the advice, it was my first ever attempt making them since I don't have a sweet tooth and although they were tasty af I'm happy to find ways to improve them. I definitely could have beat the butter and sugar longer - I had a beer waiting and was very lazy in how long I stood there doing it. Ditto for resting the dough - I'd promised my pregnant wife cookies 24 hours early so was in a bit of a rush to not get murdered :).

Can't wait to try them again!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Human Tornada posted:

It is totally bizarre to me that people can eat cold corn tortillas. It's like eating an unpeeled orange or something.

it took me a while to discover how much better heated tortillas with a little char are than their unwarmed counterparts, but yeah once you go there you never go back

also, i work with a woman who eats unpeeled oranges like apples. growing up in soviet russia incentivizes not wasting anything

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Human Tornada posted:

LITERALLY EXACTLY THIS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kumba posted:

it took me a while to discover how much better heated tortillas with a little char are than their unwarmed counterparts, but yeah once you go there you never go back

also, i work with a woman who eats unpeeled oranges like apples. growing up in soviet russia incentivizes not wasting anything

I also know a woman, also Russian, who eats unpeeled oranges. I didn't realize that was a Russian thing, though.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sex Hobbit posted:

Made some tasty but kind of sad-looking cajun-spiced drumsticks a couple days ago. Anyone got any tips on how to get them to brown better? They taste good, they're super juicy and all, but under the spice they're a little anemic-looking.

My grandma's baked chicken always turned out great. Flour and bread crumb dredge with seasoning. Not much of the breading sticks to the chicken. Just enough to take the surface moisture off.

Then bake way longer than you think at about 375. I mean, when it looks done, go another 20 minutes. As long as there's enough fatty skin on it, it won't dry out. Flip it half way.

Somehow, always crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Chicken is an odd beast. Easy to over cook, but you have to over cook it to make it tender and crispy. Just don't over cook it to make it dry. Psychic powers help.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My take on Hank Shaw's Eingemachtes Kaninchen. Rabbit meatballs, sauce of caper brine, chicken stock, beer, and sour cream. Finished with a huge squeeze of lemon and some charred broccoli.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I made spaghetti alla carbonara today for the first time. I used a recipe from Orsara Recipes, which is from a really nice Italian grandpa-sorta fellow. Watching how passionate he was about pasta made me want to give it a try.

That said, I didn't have guanciale or pancetta, and I didn't have pecorino cheese, but I did have bacon and a wedge of parmesan. So it's not perfect, but honestly, since it was my first try I didn't want to risk wasting really pricey ingredients if I messed it up. Honestly, I was so worried about overcooking things that it may have turned out a little undercooked. I had a big helping earlier though and I feel fine, so I think it's okay. I just didn't want the bacon to be burnt or the egg/parmesan sauce turn into scrambled eggs.

I really liked it though. It's very rich and flavorful despite being a fairly simple dish (shocker-- noodles swimming in rendered bacon fat and cheese is tasty as gently caress). I would so make it again.

Recipe link: http://orsararecipes.net/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe

Watch his video too, he's very entertaining.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 10, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have atrocious lighting in my apartment.

Also, I made strawberry cobbler.

Beautiful.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

My take on Hank Shaw's Eingemachtes Kaninchen. Rabbit meatballs, sauce of caper brine, chicken stock, beer, and sour cream. Finished with a huge squeeze of lemon and some charred broccoli.

Those meatballs are loving erotic.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Onions and Tomatoes stuffed with rosemary and lemon thyme lamb (served with some greek yoghurt, spinach and jersey royals). I had things in my fridge so I came up with the dish to use them up.

Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken), this was really really tasty, I wish I had taken a picture of the tandoori chicken skewers I made because they looked so good, so good that I couldn't wait to get them in the sauce and serve it up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Doctor posted:

Those meatballs are loving erotic.

I'd be happy to put em in your mouth :quagmire:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So this is what I cooked last night (and tonight, and probably tomorrow as well).

Got 10lbs of beef bones, and am having a go a making demi glace.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Grain finished USDA Choice Ribeye. Salted and air dried in the fridge, 3 minutes a side. Slightly warm rare.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Baking scones because I need to prepare for my new life as a house husband. Whipped some cream too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I was curious, so I estimated. All the following are active times only:
code:
Tortillas: 
	15 min mix (ish... my wife did it)
	30 min roll & cook
Fruit salad:
	5 min stem & seed peppers, toast in oven
	5 min grind peppers into chile powder
	4 min stem & seed peppers, toast in oven
	3 min blend with vinegar for "Bufalo" salsa
	10 min cut watermelon and pineapple
	2 min juice orange
	10 min queso fresco
Steak:
	3 min toast and grind spices
	3 min juice orange and mix marinade
	10 min remove silver skin (I'm not practiced & fast at this)
	3 min remove excess marinade
	6 min grilling
	2 min carving
Quesadillas:
	2 min rinse beans
	6 min char poblanos, steam, peel and cut into strips
	3 min cook onions and spices
	3 min combine beans & veggies, mash half
	3 min grate 1 lb cheese in food processor
	5 min run outside to pick cilantro
	10 min assembly
	3 min babysitting under broiler (total time 10 min, I watched near the end)
Quesadilla salsa:
	4 min roast veggies
	2 min juice lime and blend with veggies
Guac:
	15 min
Coffee popsicles (not pictured)
	10 min
That's 3 hours I can easily account for, not counting a ton of dishes and the inefficiency of not being active 100% of the time.

e: ew what a bad snipe. Have an easier meal from last week:

green Thai curry

Oh by the way I should say that your food looks really good. I think I've made a similar thing so many times that I take for granted how much work actually goes into it. Also, you should try a Mexican coke, soy sauce, chilis of your choice, annatto, citrus juice and zest of your choice, garlic marinade. You could also just do chili, salt and lime juice. I swear by I this, feel free to add turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, whatever the hell you want and it will be amazing fajitas.

Edit: Do any of y'all have a kolache dough recipe you recommend?

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 12, 2018

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Simple breakfast of rice, shishitos, shiitakis, scallions, egg, and miso.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kalista posted:

Simple breakfast of rice, shishitos, shiitakis, scallions, egg, and miso.

God drat

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Pizza night. First one was dry salami, basil.

In the oven:

Out of the oven:

Money shot disappeared from my phone or didn't snap right so that's all I got.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Sous vided a thicker than normal grocery store ribeye, plus some local asparagus and Vidalia onion from my produce box this week.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

blixa posted:

Pizza night. First one was dry salami, basil.

Out of the oven:

That looks so good. Do you like crispy salami? Next time you could leave it on top of the cheese and hope it curls up and browns on the edges... now I'm hungry

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Ranter posted:

That looks so good. Do you like crispy salami? Next time you could leave it on top of the cheese and hope it curls up and browns on the edges... now I'm hungry

I usually do when making a pan pizza or similar, but I should probably do the same when I make this kind too!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The very first Alton Brown recipe I ever made was from the first episode of Good Eats I ever watched way back in high school, Who Loves Ya Baby-Back?. Still make them to this day though here I used St. Louis style since they were cheap and for the braising liquid and subsequent glaze I use Reed's Stronger Ginger Brew, extra apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and garlic while omitting the honey. A nice blend of sweet, sour and spicy. Gonna be working through these for a few days.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Had a big chunk of lamb to use up so made some slow cooker chili

Was pretty delicious with some leftover bread from my previous baking adventure

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Oh by the way I should say that your food looks really good. I think I've made a similar thing so many times that I take for granted how much work actually goes into it. Also, you should try a Mexican coke, soy sauce, chilis of your choice, annatto, citrus juice and zest of your choice, garlic marinade. You could also just do chili, salt and lime juice. I swear by I this, feel free to add turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, whatever the hell you want and it will be amazing fajitas.

Edit: Do any of y'all have a kolache dough recipe you recommend?

Thanks! I'll branch out marinade-wise next time, and pick up some annatto.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Siu Yuk. Girlfriend and I are eating low carb, so we had it 'wrap' style with various bits and pieces we had laying around. Made some dipping sauces, but sans hoi sin :(

This is the next day after the skin had been left to dry in the fridge overnight. I used skewers to prevent it from curling in the oven.

Pretty crunchy but still a tiny bit of chew. Need to perfect this over many attempts.

The spread

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Chicken skewers, 'mexican' roasted sweetcorn salad and a bit of toasted bread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i also roasted some broccoli at 240c for 25 minutes or so until it was really crispy and made some chimichurri to go with this

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
drat, that looks perfect.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
beef stroganoff

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So much good home made food ITT

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mentioned wanting to replicate this deconstructed Croque Madam from a video game, in my last post about being new to cooking:

Here it is, sans lettuce since there's an e coli panic. bechamel, dijon, ham, swiss cheese, sunny side up egg.

which involved me learning how to make sourdough bread:

the one on the right has a terrible sun pattern cut in it, and as :downs: as it is, it's also the most beautiful thing I've ever made with my two hands somehow.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 16, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Where's the crumb shot? :colbert:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's awesome. You're going to have devastatingly scathing posts until your next camp.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Holy poo poo that bread

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Made my first brisket

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

Made my first brisket

This should be xpost to smoking thread. Looks great from what I can see on mobile.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

RisqueBarber posted:

Made my first brisket

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Crossposting from the smoking thread:

I have too many tomatoes and chilis to know what to do with so I made bbq tortilla soup. I rubbed the chicken in annatto, lime juice, garlic, salt and peanut oil. Basically conchinita pibil rub. I smoked that stuff, added it to several pasilla chilis and an ancho in the pot then poached it. When the chicken was right I took that out, blended it up and served. It was absurd.