Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Rescue Org: Would you like to see a picture of one of Tracker's puppies?

Cath: :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I’ve got a tough couple weeks ahead. Ozzie’s 8 1/2 now, and in the last month, he’s gotten really grouchy. He’s having some problems with his hips and low back. He’s starting to lose some control with his back legs at times, and he’s dragging his back feet when he walks. He’s gotten snappy with me once, when I was trying to get him out of bed to go outside last week, so I took him to the vet. He got a steroid shot, which has helped him some, but he’s back to being grouchy when it wears off. Spoke with the vet this week, and we’re going to have him put down the next weekend I’m off work. The next 10 days are gonna be full of car rides, treats, people food, visits to old friends, and some short walks in the woods. Hopefully, he can slip this mortal coil on a high note, with nothing but memories of love and fun for the last part of his life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm so sorry to hear that Dr. Ozzie. It's great that you're taking the time to give him the send-off he deserves. I did something similar with my Cocker Spaniel last year and I am so glad I did. Please share any pictures you can.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve got a tough couple weeks ahead. Ozzie’s 8 1/2 now, and in the last month, he’s gotten really grouchy. He’s having some problems with his hips and low back. He’s starting to lose some control with his back legs at times, and he’s dragging his back feet when he walks. He’s gotten snappy with me once, when I was trying to get him out of bed to go outside last week, so I took him to the vet. He got a steroid shot, which has helped him some, but he’s back to being grouchy when it wears off. Spoke with the vet this week, and we’re going to have him put down the next weekend I’m off work. The next 10 days are gonna be full of car rides, treats, people food, visits to old friends, and some short walks in the woods. Hopefully, he can slip this mortal coil on a high note, with nothing but memories of love and fun for the last part of his life.

:smith: Poor old Ozzie. Pat his big soft head for me and tell him he's one of the best harlequins out there.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm so sorry to hear that Dr. Ozzie.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: Poor old Ozzie. Pat his big soft head for me and tell him he's one of the best harlequins out there.

This, entirely, I love seeing pictures of the big rascal. Give him a great sendoff. :smith:

ed: Just went back to pg. 1 for great pics.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This, entirely, I love seeing pictures of the big rascal. Give him a great sendoff. :smith:

ed: Just went back to pg. 1 for great pics.

I’m trying to. Poor ol’ feller had a real bad night last night. He had a seizure for about 2-3 minutes, and hasn’t been getting around good afterwards. Gave him some Valium last night and this morning to keep him from seizing again and to keep him relaxed and comfortable. The vet is meeting me at the house around 2:00 to put him to sleep. I’m closing the office at lunch so I can go home and grill burgers for him until the vet comes. Had a few old friends come to visit him last night and say goodbye. Going to bury him in the back yard next to Sage. Hard, hard night last night.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 25, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’m trying to. Poor ol’ feller had a real bad night last night. He had a seizure for about 2-3 minutes, and hasn’t been getting around good afterwards. Gave him some Valium last night and this morning to keep him from seizing again and to keep him relaxed and comfortable. The vet is meeting me at the house around 2:00 to put him to sleep. I’m closing the office at lunch so I can go home and grill burgers for him until the vet comes. Had a few old friends come to visit him last night and say goodbye. Going to bury him in the back yard next to Sage. Hard, hard night last night.

You were one hell of a good boy, Ozziedog.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm going to get a trainer to work with Tracker. She pulls on the leash, but she's getting the concept of "easy" down. Once the initial puppy excitedness wears off, she's okay on the leash.

But holy poo poo other dogs. She is insanely excited to play with other dogs and she'll flip her poo poo running over to them. I've tried walking with treats, but the other dog gets 100% of her focus. I don't mind taking her to the dog park, but she's not spayed yet, so that's a no go. In the meantime, I've got to figure out a solution that's not "Hope there are no other dogs on our path."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Let her get smacked down by a few older dogs and she'll learn some manners. :shrug:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Let her get smacked down by a few older dogs and she'll learn some manners. :shrug:

I've got to wait till she gets spayed before I can take her to the local dog park.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is that a rule for the dog park or what? I don't think it's especially likely that she's gonna get knocked up with you there to keep an eye on things.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is that a rule for the dog park or what? I don't think it's especially likely that she's gonna get knocked up with you there to keep an eye on things.

It's their rule. She's not in heat at the moment, but I don't think they want to be liable.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Thanks all. I posted a bunch of old pics on Imgur if anybody wants to see them. As of a little while ago,its got nearly 90,000 views.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Writer Cath posted:

I'm going to get a trainer to work with Tracker. She pulls on the leash, but she's getting the concept of "easy" down. Once the initial puppy excitedness wears off, she's okay on the leash.

But holy poo poo other dogs. She is insanely excited to play with other dogs and she'll flip her poo poo running over to them. I've tried walking with treats, but the other dog gets 100% of her focus. I don't mind taking her to the dog park, but she's not spayed yet, so that's a no go. In the meantime, I've got to figure out a solution that's not "Hope there are no other dogs on our path."

Our dog, Egon, is pretty much the same. He's coming up on his 3rd birthday and he still flips his poo poo if he can't go say hello to other dogs. So at his daycare or dog parks he's perfectly fine, but on his leash or in the car he's a monster the moment another dog is in sight. It kind of sucks because it means my wife basically can't take him on walks since he will drag her across the street to go harass other dog walkers. God help us all if he sees a cat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

Our dog, Egon, is pretty much the same. He's coming up on his 3rd birthday and he still flips his poo poo if he can't go say hello to other dogs. So at his daycare or dog parks he's perfectly fine, but on his leash or in the car he's a monster the moment another dog is in sight. It kind of sucks because it means my wife basically can't take him on walks since he will drag her across the street to go harass other dog walkers. God help us all if he sees a cat.

You have problems if the dog is the one in control of the walk. Dogs are beautiful creatures, but they should not be in charge of their destinies. It's like asking a three-year-old to drive a car. If you can't absolutely depend on the dog to behave themselves, and you aren't strong enough to physically control them, then you need mechanical assistance in the form of an anti-pulling harness. There's two main types: Gentle Leader goes over the nose (looks kind of like a muzzle) and then there's a chest harness style (c.f. Easy Walk). In both cases the idea is that the leash attaches at a point such that if the dog tries to pull, they get turned to the side towards the leash holder instead of going in the direction they want.

Gentle Leader is more effective in preventing pulling, but also requires more acclimation since it involves a strap looping around the dog's nose. The chest harnesses are an easier sell since dogs usually don't mind them, but make sure they fit properly or they'll chafe.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I 100% agree.

We use a gentle leader and he still pulls my wife where ever he wants. I think she is just really reluctant to use any kind of force. He tries to pull with me (when he sees another dog), but the nice thing about a gentle leader is that by pulling up on it you can basically force him to sit.

However, being able to control his freak out is not the same as him not freaking out in the first place.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Thanks all. I posted a bunch of old pics on Imgur if anybody wants to see them. As of a little while ago,its got nearly 90,000 views.

One of your earliest posts said it best: "And his cuteness was ferocious." I'm sorry he's gone, I hope he went happily. Maybe someday I'll be able to have a Dane.
ed: Awesome pic!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Maybe someday I'll be able to have a Dane.

If you're looking for a breeder in the future, look for temperament as well as everything else. People are breeding some really lovely danes these days.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

:3: He deserves all the internet fame.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hana's (4th) Birthday today, so I figured a picture with a striking pose would be in order:

Now, being a GD, this should also be followed with a more standard Dane pose:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Standard Dane pose you say?

This is Archer's

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
some of these dogs look ashamed to be pictured

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I dunno what you're talking about

lol

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Frank was mad at me for a little while because I started stripping his hairs out but I think he forgives me

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

BloodRed posted:

some of these dogs look ashamed to be pictured

It's the droops! People always assume my saint is sad when he is having a good time.. he grunts alot as well when he is happy which makes people think he is grumpy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This 6 month old baby would like to know if you have some time to talk about Dog

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This 6 month old baby would like to know if you have some time to talk about Dog

I would like to hear the good news.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What the heck kind of very good boy is that?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

I would like to hear the good news.

It has to do with climbing the couch with only your front paws so that you may kiss the bounty of life away from your human and then gently smack her around with your tiny (lol tiny) baby paws. Affection comes at a price.

Inspector 34 posted:

What the heck kind of very good boy is that?

It's a heckin puppo of the dive in the water and save the stupid drowning people variety, canadian brand. Also sometimes maybe pull in a fishing net.

Also store things in lips.

He has a wide variety of treasures in his lips at All times.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Jowl storage capacity is an important factor in choosing the right dog for your needs.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Odin's still a puppy but he's getting bigger.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hana is not getting any bigger, but is still just as goofy

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hana is not getting any bigger, but is still just as goofy

Those ears are spectacular :3:

Ixliam
Apr 2, 2011

Rockin' In The Free World
Here's our big goof Dozer. He's just 2 years old and 130lbs of Great Pyrenees mess. Spends most of his days barking at the chickens outside, and things only he can see. Loves to play fetch, our late GSD taught him when he was just a puppy.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tracker, Traaaaaaaaaacker!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, after 2 or so weeks of continuous sunshine, it started raining this evening...which caused Hana to start crying. (She really doesn't rain).

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Captain turns a year old today!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
What an absolute cutie pie :3:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
The primitive thread is locked and off to archives so here's Shogun, all grown up and certainly a big ol' dog. He's 18 months old now so his growth is basically over. I moved out so he's living with my parents because holy poo poo a condo will not contain him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Frankenstein moved from the suburbs of SE Michigan to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He's a country dog now.