Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
No seriously thank you! That was helpful!

Next question: what counts as light armor and/or how do you tell?

Are helmets and gloves ok? Right now everyone literally has nothing but a shield and a weapon and every time I took off any kind of protection at all, evasion went up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This database will pretty much tell you everything you need to know: https://guides.gamercorner.net/ffii/

It is for the NES version, so some things might be different.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Elephant Ambush posted:

No seriously thank you! That was helpful!

Next question: what counts as light armor and/or how do you tell?

Are helmets and gloves ok? Right now everyone literally has nothing but a shield and a weapon and every time I took off any kind of protection at all, evasion went up.

Light armor has a slightly shorter icon (at least in the NES version, I assume it’s true in later versions) and is usually cheaper.

Helmets and gloves kinda vary. I recommend this wonderful guide as a reference, though this is based on the NES version so the equipment names may not be accurate. Also note that if you go to weapons and shields, the spellcasting penalties on those only apply to the NES version, they removed that penalty for later versions (yet still kept the armor penalties for whatever reason).

e: Beaten

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well poo poo. I will pay attention to the icons then and give my nerds better poo poo.

Thanks guys! :tipshat:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Edgar is such an underrated character in the series. Dude gives up his freedom for the brother he loves like it's nothing. Guy comes off as nothing more than a lech but there's far more to him. I wish he had more story time in FFVI.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF6 actually benefits a lot from having such a large cast since everyone getting minimal development lets players fill in the blanks with their own imagined character traits.

I mean if anything Edgar should've had less development, particularly the part where he hits on ten-year-old girls.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

FF6 actually benefits a lot from having such a large cast since everyone getting minimal development lets players fill in the blanks with their own imagined character traits.

I mean if anything Edgar should've had less development, particularly the part where he hits on ten-year-old girls.

He said to wait till she's older!

:qq:

Edgar why?!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

I prefer to read that line as "he likes foul-mouthed loose women and thinks Relm will grow up to be one" to make it like 6/10 creepy instead of 9/10 creepy

it's still real bad though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that line is definitely a lot less worse int he Woolsey translation. There's some ambiguity to it but it's basically just commenting on how Relm acts older than she is. The "improved" translation clears up the ambiguity and yep, he's totally a pedophile.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Started playing FF1 today and y'know what? It's real fuckin' fun. I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. Playing the PS1 version on normal difficulty, and I like how the game is kind of built around little exploratory adventures and smaller excursions before returning to town to rest up. It's very different from later games where you just go from one place to another without really worrying - this seems more about going out with a goal, then returning to town after completing it. "Okay, I want to go see what's in this one wing of this dungeon. After I go check that out, I'll return to town to rest up and buy new stuff, then head back into the dungeon to check out the other wing."

Feels a little clumsy at times, but I'm really enjoying it! Definitely more than I did when I tried playing it for half an hour as a kid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF1 wears its DnD inspiration on its sleeves as well as pilfering somethings wholesale. Its also probsbly the fastest time to airship on the franchise

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm intentionally grinding Teleport for a bit right now just because I want to see if I can kill a Fynn guard with it. Yeah I'm going to abuse save states but whatever.

I forget if some enemies are immune to Teleport, but the Captains can drop Toad and IIRC nothing in FF2 is immune to Toad. Nothing.

One or two enemies (golems, I think) have crazy magic defense and could potentially resist a Toad 16 tossed their way but the final boss is not one of them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The final boss is immune to Toad, Fluffy. It would be silly if he wasn't.

what he isn't immune to is a bug where, if an enemy has the wall status, casting toad on it will "miss", but it will still play out the animation for the spell, which still removes the target from the battle. At least in the NES version, I assume they fixed it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

FF1 wears its DnD inspiration on its sleeves as well as pilfering somethings wholesale. Its also probsbly the fastest time to airship on the franchise

FF3 gives you an airship after the second town.

That you can't actually explore with it and have to destroy it to leave the starting area is a different story. It's also not the last time you have to destroy an airship.

FF3 is weird. The NES games in general are very weird, even compared to the other later weird games in this weird series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

FF1 is basically the best D&D console game ever made.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The authentic FF1 experience

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 13, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. I don't have archives and I can see that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I guess it doesn't require archives then!

Archiving has been weird the past several years and didn't function at all for like a year or so, so semi-recent stuff is more likely to still be viewable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also I'm coming for you

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Enjoying FF1 so far, but man I'm glad SE decided to cool it with the status effects. Feels like every other enemy poisons me with its regular attacks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I took Edgar's line to Relm as God I hope you survive to adulthood because the world is going to hell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Onmi posted:

I took Edgar's line to Relm as God I hope you survive to adulthood because the world is going to hell

I wish I was that optimistic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hate to say it but no, Edgar's line in the Japanese version is explicitly that.

"{エドガー}「さすがに犯罪か…… やめとこう"

It's something like "That'd be illegal... I better not." (He's referring to hitting on her by the way but it's still creepy as poo poo.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

creepy as poo poo.

That's our Edgar! *laugher that quickly fades as the audience realizes the joke and makes horrified grunts and gasps*

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Though it is a high mark for the Final Fantasy series that with fifteen main games and a bunch of side ones there's only one arguable pedophile in the entire cast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Every game is "easy" if you:

- Grind like crazy to remove all danger of dying and do tons of damage by mashing attack over and over

- Use a guide to tell you what all the strats are for everything

Please stop pretending that any game is easy for a first-timer not using a guide and not grinding. You aren't really supposed to grind. You're supposed to figure out the puzzle of each boss fight and use what you have available to beat it.

Don't get me wrong, I've done grinding levels before to get past a tough fight, but I didn't go around saying how "easy" that boss was afterwards.

I agree, no game has ever been easy,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Enjoying FF1 so far, but man I'm glad SE decided to cool it with the status effects. Feels like every other enemy poisons me with its regular attacks.

If youre playing the original some dont work so it was even worse in its original intention.

And be thankful it didnt steal some of DnDs more abusive status effects.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I agree, no game has ever been easy,

Nothing is easy in life except posting your dumb opinions on Final Fantasy games, that's why my life is easy street.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also happy sixth birthday Final Fantasy thread, I'm glad one whole mainline game got released between the thread's birth and today, we're making progress.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Though it is a high mark for the Final Fantasy series that with fifteen main games and a bunch of side ones there's only one arguable pedophile in the entire cast.

Edge probably kinda seems like one to the rest of the party even if there's really no reason for him to suspect.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cattail Prophet posted:

Edge probably kinda seems like one to the rest of the party even if there's really no reason for him to suspect.

I mean, he isn't.

Rydia isn't a child when she comes back. Time moves differently in the Feymarch. Rydia grew up into an adult the natrual way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Edge is just a useless fuckboi

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You can't grind your way past the challenges in FFXIII

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

No, but you can spam death until it works

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Edgar nooooo :qq:

And wow that FF1 LP owns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

certainly a better track record than star ocean, where a busty three-eyed alien chick in her 30s can ditch her boyfriend to pair up with a twelve year old boy

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 13, 2018

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

:perfect:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sapozhnik posted:

You can't grind specifically the crystarium, but you can absolutely grind materials/money to upgrade weapons for big stat boosts. It's just gated behind the stupid FF13 upgrading system so most people don't think to do that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wasn’t Rikku 15 when her cousin tried to gently caress her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I misremembering and Brother loved Yuna who wasn’t 15 and also Rikku was his sister? Oops