Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I feel like the most powerful person in the world after getting two chicken dinners in a row.

What exactly is the difference between "seasons" on https://pubg.op.gg What's the cut-off from season to season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like the most powerful person in the world after getting two chicken dinners in a row.

What exactly is the difference between "seasons" on https://pubg.op.gg What's the cut-off from season to season?

Every season your stats are reset and so is your Elo. Unlike every single other competitive game ever there's no reward right now which is weird given that even the mobile port has a progression system. I'd say 5-10% of the players try to compete in the ladder. If you do so it's more for personal satisfaction in competing since there's no reward. There's been indication that matchmaking - albeit in a very lightweight form to reduce queue times - exists in PUBG. This season they hosed up Elo by adding some severe compression to it.

This is the quickest summary I can think of.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

Fano posted:

If you ever did any .ini file tweaks your GameUserSettings.ini file is probably set to Read-Only, so your changes aren't being persisted after you close the game.

Yep, that was it. I'm dumb. J.Jazz said the same thing on discord at the time I posted and I was sure I had undone all that poo poo since the jump-crouch messing about. Guess I was wrong and glad I double checked.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The seasons so far have been delineated by "big updates". Its been about a month to 2 months per season.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Not at all. Seasons are month to month, hence it being at 5. It's not a hard metric, since it varies by a few days each time, and so to the gap between.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Vector.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgpq6E2qeCc

After being forced to use it a lot I conclude the M16 is only OK and not worth keeping around as a long gun. You all are right. The rate of fire on single feels nerfed and thats actually what is bugging me the most since I used to be able to really tap fire the poo poo out of it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhn9Tk8QII

It's me I'm the guy who uses Burst Mode.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm the guy who picks up guns at the start and uses them all game.

Shotguns and crossbows are not guns. Don't be fooled, walk to the next pile.

I occasionally trade up when offered something interesting, like a big rifle or crate weapon, but I don't spend all game trying to find the one gun to rule them all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
AKM and a SCAR-L, M4, SLR, or Mini14 and I'm satisfied.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I like the AK most for a close range AR otherwise I’ll rock an ump or vector for close range. My recoil control is subpar so I have a hard time with the new recoil changes to the scar and m4. I’ll try to find a DMR for range but will settle for a green AR, though I hate the m16 now, tapping with it seems much worse.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crossbows are super fun, knowing they're kinda useless is a liberating experience. So when you kill people at a medium+ distance it's always joyful.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The best thing about the crossbow and VSS is knowing that you pissed someone the gently caress off if you managed to kill them.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The Vektor is real good now, and was triple-buffed in the patch with the SMG buffs, AR nerfs and DMR buffs. Run it with a Mini/SKS/SLR and spray down fools.

The UMP is still an absolute garbagecannon used by feckless toilet campers, who lose shootouts every time and wonder why their half-the-DPS-of-adult-guns shitshooter isn't getting them results.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Glad everyone is coming around on Lord Vektor

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The vector was always good. It didn’t need a buff. I pretty much always ran it because it had drat near no recoil when fully kitted with a compensator.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star Man posted:

The best thing about the crossbow and VSS is knowing that you pissed someone the gently caress off if you managed to kill them.

The VSS is the best sniper.

very stable genius posted:

The vector was always good. It didn’t need a buff. I pretty much always ran it because it had drat near no recoil when fully kitted with a compensator.

This is truth. The vector has been a beast for a long time. I'm not quite sure why it wasn't popular. Maybe it was and it was just its rarity that makes it seem like it's not popular.

I always stock up on .45 in case I can find a vector and when I'm kitted up pretty well I always keep looking for a vector and a VSS...the best loadout.

Sniping someone with the VSS and watching them run around in fear because they can't see from where their health is getting sucked away is great.

I even like how slow its bullets are because a lot of the time you can single tap enough bullets out to kill the person before the first bullet even hits them.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 12, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The vector wasn't popular because the M4 was so good at everything.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm finding M4s everywhere and am more effective with the UMP. Did they turn the M4 into a trash early game gun?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Accretionist posted:

I'm finding M4s everywhere and am more effective with the UMP. Did they turn the M4 into a trash early game gun?

It's not exactly trash, but its not the jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-most-of-them that it used to be.

An UMP/vector + scoped M4 isn't a terrible load out.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea, it's not that every gun was bad, it was that the M4(and Scar) were just too good at every single aspect of the game. Close range, M4 has the same dps as a Vector but faster TTK if you got headshots and more ammo to work with. Medium to long range? M4 was better than any DMR. Moving target? Better than a Kar98.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's also just really limited until you find the mag. I think vector sans mag -> vector with ex mag is probably the single most powerful swing in weapon performance for any single non-scope attachment (that or the comp on the AK)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So here's a site that shows you a player heatmap for your matches: http://pubgheat.com/

Not very useful, but interesting enough.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Let's also not pretend that the Vector wasn't horrible past 25m. The reocil is vastly improved now. It's getting close to as good as it was when it was initially released.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Vector is still bad because its hard to not dump the mag and you're not gonna be able to spray down 2+ people with it when getting pushed by coordinated teams. Its very good vs bads and people who are flanking though

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, pretty much, IIRC the Vector has a 0.7s dump time without extended and 1.3 with, and ARs have a lot more than that.

very stable genius posted:

The vector was always good. It didn’t need a buff.

The vector was extremely niche and had its purpose but it had several design issues:

1) It's a bit of a high maintenance weapon. It required a bunch of accessories to compete with other weapons in the mid-game. You could kill someone with its 13 bullets, sure, but it also made for a very low margin of error if you took the weapon as it is.
2) And if you're past the early game and have the chance to Voltronize your weapons then the M4 was just a vastly superior choice.
3) The effective range at which the Vector was better than the M4 was very tiny.
4) Your margin of error was still lower than the M4. If someone baited your bullets you're SOL.
5) It's a very poor weapon for 1v2+ situations. Possibly the worst SMG when it comes down to that.

Did you just find a Vector early on and need to kill someone with it? Sure, it works, but a Micro-Uzi probably would as well, or an AK, or a Shotgun. The Vector filled best the "gently caress. YOU." niche of someone wanting to be funny with you and rushing you to CQC after mid game sure that he's gonna get the advantage and then you just outdamage him because the Vector is like the Golden Gun when you're face to face with someone.

Note that I'm not complaining about weapons having design flaws, just that the ones that the Vector made it overshadowed by the M4 before the buffs/nerfs. They vastly improved how the Vector fills its niche in this patch but there was just no reason for someone to pick up a Vector in the previous patch if someone was min-maxing. It's a fun weapon but kinda dangerous to rely on.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 13, 2018

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

The m249 is the close range face melting gun. Also the mk14 with extended mag on auto melted two guys rushing me at a crate. That was fun.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks (or thought) the Vector was better in a pure numbers sense than the M4 pre-recent-changes. For some of us there's more to how much you want to use a gun than purely the numbers. (thus my VSS enjoyment)

For your gun that wasn't your sniper, there was little reason to use anything other than the M4 pre-patch.

I think they've actually did a pretty decentish job of making it so there is no gun that is as good in as many situations as the M4.

The Vector does an OK job at a jack of all trades gun, but it doesn't come close to being that in the same was as the M4 was. The UMP might be a bit better in that role because of its larger magazine but you're trading off closer range killin' a bit.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Does the Vault+Jump keybind achieve any vaults that the Vault keybind only does not achieve, or is a just a way to combine vaulting and jumping on one key for convenience?

As for convenience: I'm sure using a separate vault key is optimal, but how likely is one to accidentally vault when intending only to jump when using the Vault+Jump keybind?

thanks

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I was kinda thinking about it; is there any situation where having a gun on burst is better than full-auto or single-tapping?

Long-range sniping with an AR against a moving target and you want to get lucky?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there some weird de-sync invincibility or hit box thing going on with shooting at people while they're going prone right now? I emptied a clip into a guy going prone and he didn't die and he did the same to me afterwards and I did.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shachar posted:

Does the Vault+Jump keybind achieve any vaults that the Vault keybind only does not achieve, or is a just a way to combine vaulting and jumping on one key for convenience?

As for convenience: I'm sure using a separate vault key is optimal, but how likely is one to accidentally vault when intending only to jump when using the Vault+Jump keybind?

thanks

I tried jumping down a staircase to shotgun someone and ended up vaulting 90 degrees to my right and dying horribly. I switched to a dedicated vault key and haven't looked back. I just threw it on V and it works out.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember the vaulting preview when you could dive through windows and slide over car hoods

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

remember the vaulting preview when you could dive through windows and slide over car hoods

PU also showed me his takedowns video before the world premiere, over a year ago... WHERE ARE TAKEDOWNS???

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i think the official reason is that they thought doing flips and stuff would make people sick in first person

dunno why they can't do it like McCree in overwatch :shrug:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

PU also showed me his takedowns video before the world premiere, over a year ago... WHERE ARE TAKEDOWNS???

I forgot that these were actually supposed to be a thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I was kinda thinking about it; is there any situation where having a gun on burst is better than full-auto or single-tapping?

Long-range sniping with an AR against a moving target and you want to get lucky?

M16 up close. Thats it. Burst on every other gun is trash.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Doesn't the two-shot "burst" on the UMP put both shots in virtually the same spot? It used to, I think. Haven't tried it lately because the UMP can also spray real tight.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
How to free up 800 MB of space.

1) open Windows explorer
2) copy and paste this: %localappdata%\TslGame\Saved\Crashes
3) delete the results of Bluehole's terrible coding.

(thank Reddit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The UMP works pretty well but I agree with some other sentiments in this thread that it's a bit of a trap gun, it feels great to fire but provides no advantage over the AR's except handling so after people get used to the changes I think the M4 meta will be back in full force. I've noticed after a few solid play sessions I'm aaaallmost back to where I was at mid/shortrange so I've started once again dropping the SMG's.

The real broken gun is the Kar98 now, if you get one of those it might as well be an AWM