Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kevin Can Wait has been canceled. Looks like their attempt to turn it into King of Queens 2.0 didn't pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shoulda cast Jerry Stiller

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Kevin Can Wait has been canceled. Looks like their attempt to turn it into King of Queens 2.0 didn't pay off.

I remember wanting to watch the premier just to punished myself. Maybe it was so terrible that it gave me brain damage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AceOfFlames posted:

Humanity is truly doomed if it can produce things like a 20 year long show about rape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqRvVlPcrp0

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I remember wanting to watch the premier just to punished myself. Maybe it was so terrible that it gave me brain damage.

They mentioned the wife's death because Kevin forgot to cancel one of her subscriptions. And then it was on to sitcom shenanigans, the daughter's wedding I think?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Gervais is one of those people who think his 'edginess' is something to be lauded in the face of political correctness. And he's been poo poo ever since he stopped working with Merchant.

Figured it was something like that.

Still, even if he's poo poo now, still gets a lifetime pass from me for bringing Karl Pilkington into the spotlight. I still binge clips of the animated Ricky Gervais show from time to time and Karl is pure gold.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The coveted ABNBCBS show.

The Original Amateur Hour had ABC, NBC, CBS and DuMont.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How much longer is Criminal Minds gonna go on for now that most of the original cast is gone?

They're at how many seasons now, 15?

I binged the first 10 or so a few years back and they'd already had a major plot arc for each of the individual team members being targeted and multiple arcs about the whole team being targeted. Where else can they go? Is it one of those shows that old people will continue to watch despite it exhausting every interesting story possibility already?

I watch it every now and then because it's hilarious schlock. Though nothing can top the episode from a couple years ago where Kevin from the Office kills people because he believes he is descended from King Minos of Crete, the latest season ended with the team realizing that a CULT OF SERIAL KILLERS has infiltrated and taken over part of the FBI, and has kidnapped one of their team members. This show is amazingly bad and often insane.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like The Expanse is really dead. They are taking the sets apart on Monday to sell off to the Star Trek Discovery team.

Was the "only live ratings matter" thing mentioned anywhere before the cancellation? Because I know at least three households that would have watched live if we'd known. This being the 21st century I thought dvr was good enough.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bagrada posted:

Was the "only live ratings matter" thing mentioned anywhere before the cancellation? Because I know at least three households that would have watched live if we'd known. This being the 21st century I thought dvr was good enough.

Live ratings always matter the most, even for places that care about DVR numbers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Expanse is absolutely hosed about distribution rights. Live is Syfy, international was Netflix, and US streaming is Amazon. With Syfy out of the picture, neither Netflix or Amazon would want to fund a show they didn't have global rights to.

Alcon really deserves a ton of "WTF were you thinking here?" about the way they sold those rights. It never had a chance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If it's on network/cable/etc TV and the channel doesn't have their own service just assume it needs live eyes imho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If only Space had the money to buy it. It's filmed in Canada anyway.

:<

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sucks, it's such a great show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AceOfFlames posted:

Still, even if he's poo poo now, still gets a lifetime pass from me for bringing Karl Pilkington into the spotlight. I still binge clips of the animated Ricky Gervais show from time to time and Karl is pure gold.

Yeah, for the longest time An Idiot Abroad was my go-to for when I needed cheering up (which is often).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Live ratings always matter the most, even for places that care about DVR numbers.

I think live is valued most, followed by services like Hulu, On Demand, or the individual channel streaming apps because those still generate ad revenue.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

A quick search shows that three notable shows that were canceled by one OTA network and brought back by another are:

*Leave It To Beaver
*Taxi
*JAG

Whose Line Is It Anyway

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I think live is valued most, followed by services like Hulu, On Demand, or the individual channel streaming apps because those still generate ad revenue.

It really depends on the individual show's financial setup.

NBC let Hannibal run as long as it did, for example, even allowing Fuller to indulge himself quite a bit more than anyone expected, because they paid a tiny-rear end licensing fee to Sony; all the financing came from Gaumont (and for the later seasons, Amazon, which paid for a bunch of the show by forking out a poo poo-ton for the streaming rights).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looking at how man shows Fox poo poo-canned, have they shortened the order for the Orville season 2 and canceled it yet?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Midnightghoul posted:

I watch it every now and then because it's hilarious schlock. Though nothing can top the episode from a couple years ago where Kevin from the Office kills people because he believes he is descended from King Minos of Crete, the latest season ended with the team realizing that a CULT OF SERIAL KILLERS has infiltrated and taken over part of the FBI, and has kidnapped one of their team members. This show is amazingly bad and often insane.
I think my favorite one will always be the one where Frankie Muniz (of Malcolm in the Middle fame) is a comic book artist who just happens to have a bunch of people turn up dead around him, and then it turns out that he had been taking on the persona of the comic book character he created and killing people without even knowing it until the very end.

Or the one where they tried to make Jason Alexander into a villain who looks like J Mascis.

Or the one where James Van Der Beek from Dawson's Creek plays a cult leader.

Man, that show is so very, very stupid, but at least it's gone some fun places with it in the past.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Looking at how man shows Fox poo poo-canned, have they shortened the order for the Orville season 2 and canceled it yet?

The Orville was their top-performing new show last year and Seth MacFarlane is their golden boy; that series is safe for a while.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So... guess i'm downloading the audio books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

The Orville was their top-performing new show last year and Seth MacFarlane is their golden boy; that series is safe for a while.

That's depressing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been a while since a great sci fi show did bad in the ratings and got cancelled

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Holy poo poo - anyone else watch this Evil Genius show on Netflix about the BATSHIT INSANE AND loving TERRIFYING woman who was sorta kinda at the center of the whole "Pizza Bomber" thing, which I think is the only time in reality that a collar-bomb ever actually went off and actually (well, ultimately and more or less) wound up with the decapitation of the victim.

It's a great documentary - it's only about ~3 hours long, split into 4 parts. It's tough not to "binge" because it fairly succinctly tells a fascinating story with plenty of twists and turns.

But like with most things, the real life story surrounding that incredibly bizarre event is... so much stranger that it is truly difficult to wrap one's head around. Also, Marjorie Diehl might be the most terrifying individual that I am *so glad* I've never met.

Like, watching this series I didn't feel SAFE from her in a weird way.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
NBC has renewed the Blacklist and CBS has renewed Elementary for a 7th season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kaworu posted:

Holy poo poo - anyone else watch this Evil Genius show on Netflix about the BATSHIT INSANE AND loving TERRIFYING woman who was sorta kinda at the center of the whole "Pizza Bomber" thing, which I think is the only time in reality that a collar-bomb ever actually went off and actually (well, ultimately and more or less) wound up with the decapitation of the victim.

yeah it's a wild ride. some have said it stretched the material thin but i didn't feel that way, i was fascinated the entire time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lomzus posted:

NBC has renewed the Blacklist and CBS has renewed Elementary for a 7th season.

I remember watching the pilot for Elementary and thinking it was crap because at the time Sherlock was new and hip and awesome and man is it incredible how hard I've flipped on that.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I realize that this isn't CD, but I've started seeing Awkwafina in everything now. First was Future Man, then some movie, now Ocean's 8. She's doing a lot more than those old youtube rap videos.

I recently came to learn that Logan Paul was in the infamous "GAMERGATE and Order:SVU" episode. This really is the era of the youtube star.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Postal Parcel posted:

I realize that this isn't CD, but I've started seeing Awkwafina in everything now. First was Future Man, then some movie, now Ocean's 8. She's doing a lot more than those old youtube rap videos.

I recently came to learn that Logan Paul was in the infamous "GAMERGATE and Order:SVU" episode. This really is the era of the youtube star.

Logan Paul was dating Chloe Bennet for a minute. I only know who Logan Paul is because one of my friends kept saying how one of our other friends looked like him. And then Paul like, licked a dead body or something.

Anna Akana is a YouTuber who has started popping up in stuff. She's quite amusing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The girl who played Rose in The Last Jedi was also primarily a YouTube actress before being cast in Star Wars. I think the only non-YouTube thing I'd seen her in prior to that was an episode of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show.

Rhyno posted:

I remember watching the pilot for Elementary and thinking it was crap because at the time Sherlock was new and hip and awesome and man is it incredible how hard I've flipped on that.

Strange to think Elementary came out just after Sherlock finished season 2. If only Sherlock had stayed there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's pretty funny how IMDB lists Youtube videos as real TV shows now. Sorry, but a vlog isn't a real TV episode. Even if it's fake like lonelygirl.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rhyno posted:

Make no mistake, it's a procedural so it's gone on way too long, but the way it dealt with the character stuff, as well as the lore of Holmes, was always way ahead of whatever SHERLOCK was doing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, that show is so very, very stupid, but at least it's gone some fun places with it in the past.

The last storyline I remember was one they did a few years ago where a mysterious serial killer is copying murders they'd solved in previous episodes, then he's revealed to be Mark Hamill.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Bob's Burger was renewed.
Whew, dodged a bullet. It's not as good as it once was but it's still worth having on TV for now. The episode where Tina scares the poo poo out of her friends with the zombie Jewish deli movie was great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NBC has released its fall schedule.

MONDAY
8 pm The Voice
10 pm Manifest

TUESDAY
8 pm The Voice
9 pm This Is Us
10 pm New Amsterdam

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Chicago Med (new time slot)
9 pm Chicago Fire (new time slot)
10 pm Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY
8 pm Superstore
8:30 pm The Good Place
9 pm Will & Grace
9:30 pm I Feel Bad
10 pm Law & Order: SVU (new time slot)

FRIDAY
8 pm Blindspot
9 pm Midnight Texas (new time slot)
10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
8 pm Dateline Saturday Night Mystery
10 pm Saturday Night Live (encore)
11:30 pm Saturday Night Live

SUNDAY
7 pm Football Night in America
8:20 pm Sunday Night Football

Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Good Girls, The Blacklist, Ellen's Game of Games, America's Got Talent, AP Bio, The Titan Games, Abby's, The Enemy Within, The Inbetween and The Village are all being held for mid-season.

Decisions on Timeless and Champions have yet to be made.

Putting SVU in a new timeslot and having it follow two hours of comedy is a strange scheduling decision, but I suppose it's better than sending it to die on Friday nights like they did with the original.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel like shows like SVU are made for re-air on other networks, so who cares when the new shows are.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I feel like shows like SVU are made for re-air on other networks, so who cares when the new shows are.

Dick Wolf does, because he badly wants the Gunsmoke record :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gunsmoke record doesn't mean what it used to now that Simpsons beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Gunsmoke record doesn't mean what it used to now that Simpsons beat it.

Simpsons is getting 17 more seasons. L&O can never touch it.

Looking at that schedule there is almost nothing worth watching on NBC.