Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

JBP posted:

Someone find Ludlam's fortress of solitude and coerce him into running in Freo imo.

Give Adele Carles another crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Isn't Ludlam still a Kiwi?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

Isn't Ludlam still a Kiwi?

He's got time to fix it the way anyone else re-contesting has time to fix it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Someone find Ludlam's fortress of solitude and coerce him into running in Freo imo.

i am pretty sure he would rather throw himself into the sea and never come back rather than run in australian politics again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

i am pretty sure he would rather throw himself into the sea and never come back rather than run in australian politics again

That is why I said coerce *wink wink* *loads adler shotgun*

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/rebeccacarmody/status/995176632947163136?s=21

The Liberals ditch one of their only female ministers via preselection and move to save this dud lol

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

That is why I said coerce *wink wink* *loads adler shotgun*

this violates the fourth pillar!!!!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Maybe they're out of money? Turnbull had to bankroll a chunk of the last election, they've had a number of by-elections already and State Libs got stomped on. Maybe they're just not able to fund a campaign for a seat that was held by Labor? Especially with an election looming.

Is this just hopeful thinking?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

3.3 in Perth is not a loving slim margin jesus christ. It would be an enormous waste of money to properly contest it or just a modest waste if they didn't go all in.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The margin is also based on 2016 results I assume - WA went DEEP RED in 2017, so they're probably working based on polling, which could put the margin even higher.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Reclines Obesily posted:

Xenophon might lose their Mayo seat YAY

a Downer might take it instead NAY

Mayo is half rural, half wealthy Boomers living in the Adelaide Hills, it's never going to be anything but the Liberals or the Liberal-lites

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

In wa the streets run red with the blood of investors

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

gucci bane posted:

In wa the streets run red with the blood of investors

Except in Ellenbrook where they run red with actual blood.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Inside Story had a good article on Anne Aly and Section 44. Some highlights.

quote:

What took her so long [to check her citizenship status]? Part of it would have been her surprise candidature. Aly had probably given no thought at all to her Egyptian citizenship for years, until Labor asked her to run for Cowan. The other part is the complexity of renouncing Egyptian citizenship. The consulate gave her the relevant form, but it was in Arabic and asked her for things she didn’t have, like her Egyptian ID number. Labor gave her “a lot of help in filling out the form,” she later told the ABC. “I then had to get the form signed by a justice of the peace, and then by a notary public, and then take it to our offices here in Australia and get it signed by our Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and get a seal on it and then send it back to Egypt.” Even with her party’s help, it took her at least three months just to complete the paperwork.

quote:

But its consequence for future candidates like Aly is crystal clear. The political practice of drafting high-profile figures into political office as an election looms (or the preselected candidate quits) must now exclude the half of the population who might have inherited an unwanted foreign citizenship. The parties may be willing to punt on a British or Canadian or New Zealand Australian sometime, as those countries’ bureaucracies are amenable to being hurried along. But no party will ever take such a risk with someone with a more obscure citizenship that requires navigating an unfamiliar language or culture or legal system. Those folks can wait until next time, if at all.

quote:

This week, the High Court provided an escape for people like Aly. The constitutional bar on electing dual citizens doesn’t apply where foreign law contains “an insurmountable obstacle, such as a requirement with which compliance is not possible.” The majority gave just one example of such a law: a requirement to travel to a dangerous country. A further example was given by another judge: a requirement to complete overseas military service first...

The irony with the High Court’s “insurmountable obstacle” test is that there is an insurmountable obstacle to its being tested. Before the court can rule on whether a particular country’s requirements are insurmountable, a dual citizen from that country must first run for office, be elected, and then be challenged. But what party would risk nominating such a candidate? Instead, dual citizens’ only practical option in such cases is to surmount the insurmountable (and to do so long before they seek preselection).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

More fallout from the Prentice-Simmonds preselection:

quote:

In Victoria, where the state Liberal Party has been a recent battleground between ultra-conservatives and moderates, a veteran political operative who asked not to be named, put it like this:

“The resentment for what Malcolm did to Abbott has never really gone away – in fact it has grown worse with every losing Newspoll,” he said.

“In Queensland, where the Libs and Nats are one party, the conservative faction is more open and more vocal.

“What we just heard was a cry of revolt.”

The most telling aspect of the preselection contest, he said, was that Mr Simmonds was not an obvious Abbott supporter and something of a moderate himself.

Forget shooting yourself in the foot, this is a blunderbuss to the face. I don't think they can grasp how unprepared and unwilling the electorate is for this kind of vicious stupidity on top of a Federal budget that isn't the roaring success it needed to be.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This Victorian culture war election is going to be incredibly gross, but at least it makes it easier for Andrews to try and stay out front.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

This week, the High Court provided an escape for people like Aly. The constitutional bar on electing dual citizens doesn’t apply where foreign law contains “an insurmountable obstacle, such as a requirement with which compliance is not possible.” The majority gave just one example of such a law: a requirement to travel to a dangerous country. A further example was given by another judge: a requirement to complete overseas military service first...

What horseshit. How is it "not possible" to travel to a dangerous country? It's undesirable sure, but not insurmountable. All that the high court has done is place an arbitrary line that's more difficult to clear than the previous arbitrary line of "reasonable steps".

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Section 44 sucks anyway

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
It does seem very ambiguous. What a mess.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
This is probably not the best place for this, but since the worst troll currently here is JBP it can't be too bad...

I'm about to move back to Australia due to slowly declining mental health, currently I'm not able to work, I need to seek treatment as soon as I'm back. The last time I worked for something other than cash under the table was in 2013.

If things go well I'll be able to return to work within a few months, I have a job waiting for me for when I get better, so there's literally no need for me to be searching. Worse, I've never searched for a job in my life as my skills have always been in demand. I have zero experience doing so and with the issues I'm having I'm not sure that it'd be advisable to start now.

With that in mind, how screwed am I going to be at Centrelink? Are they going to expect me to search for jobs immediately? What do I need to do to convince them that's not practical at the moment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Measly Twerp posted:

This is probably not the best place for this, but since the worst troll currently here is JBP it can't be too bad...

I am this thread's eternal friend and only ever post from the heart. I wish you the best. Centrelink will probably be difficult to deal with though.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm about to move back to Australia due to slowly declining mental health, currently I'm not able to work, I need to seek treatment as soon as I'm back. The last time I worked for something other than cash under the table was in 2013.

If things go well I'll be able to return to work within a few months, I have a job waiting for me for when I get better, so there's literally no need for me to be searching. Worse, I've never searched for a job in my life as my skills have always been in demand. I have zero experience doing so and with the issues I'm having I'm not sure that it'd be advisable to start now.

With that in mind, how screwed am I going to be at Centrelink? Are they going to expect me to search for jobs immediately? What do I need to do to convince them that's not practical at the moment.

Absolutely, yes, unless you can show the condition will never improve and get dsp you will need a centrelink medical certificate from a doctor every 3 months saying the condition has exacerbated or you will be required to do jobsearch activities.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

naeka posted:

Absolutely, yes, unless you can show the condition will never improve and get dsp you will need a centrelink medical certificate from a doctor every 3 months saying the condition has exacerbated or you will be required to do jobsearch activities.

Oh interesting, every 3 months really isn't too bad in the scheme of things. I guess I just need to figure out how doctors and poo poo work. Again, I've got zero experience with this, so excuse the dumb question: how do you find a doctor who can do this?

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

Oh interesting, every 3 months really isn't too bad in the scheme of things. I guess I just need to figure out how doctors and poo poo work. Again, I've got zero experience with this, so excuse the dumb question: how do you find a doctor who can do this?

Any gp or psych would do it they have special centrelink versions they have to fill in though not just a generic medical certificate. As long as they are claiming stuffs through medicare they'll have them for sure. But it has to say condition has exacerbated you can't get an exemption for same condition twice unless they put that.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So if you've got severe depression and anxiety issues you cannot use that twice, even if you're not better? That seems dumb as gently caress.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

So if you've got severe depression and anxiety issues you cannot use that twice, even if you're not better? That seems dumb as gently caress.

Ya the condition must be worsening, this is the reason for almost all rejections of medical certs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's insane

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The government couldn’t possibly help you get better faster. :aaaaa:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the info naeka, hopefully I only need it for 3 months and don't actually get worse.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

That's insane

Yeah, so if your mental health deteriorates to the point that you are suicidal the only option to get out of looking for work is actually killing yourself? Now that's what I call a safety net!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i am told that to get disability allowance for depression, you must kill yourself successfully right there in the office

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

If you need a hand with this stuff I have pm's or if you hate life and wanna read up on it yourself then http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/3/2/11/10 but just know how the system works before hand so you don't end up yelling at some poor dhs worker cause there ain't much wiggle room allowed.

Periphery posted:

Yeah, so if your mental health deteriorates to the point that you are suicidal the only option to get out of looking for work is actually killing yourself? Now that's what I call a safety net!

Ya but your family would be eligible for an exemption under 'special circumstances' rule as a major personal crisis which was unforseen and unavoidable so the system works.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

naeka posted:

Any gp or psych would do it they have special centrelink versions they have to fill in though not just a generic medical certificate. As long as they are claiming stuffs through medicare they'll have them for sure. But it has to say condition has exacerbated you can't get an exemption for same condition twice unless they put that.

The guide you posted only mentions medical certificates from a medical practitioner, so a psych(ologist) wouldn't be able to provide it (although psychiatrist could).

I think I remember seeing somewhere when I was trying to find some info for a client that even DSP stuff needs to come from a clinical psych, not one with another endorsement or general registration. Centrelink, like the rest of the government, has a thing for clinical psychs over any others so if you need documentation check whether it needs to come from a clinical. This is dumb because (as a clinical psych) I can say that in most settings we all do very similar work, but I expect they will take any opportunity to use rules to turn down applications.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

The guide you posted only mentions medical certificates from a medical practitioner, so a psych(ologist) wouldn't be able to provide it (although psychiatrist could).

I think I remember seeing somewhere when I was trying to find some info for a client that even DSP stuff needs to come from a clinical psych, not one with another endorsement or general registration. Centrelink, like the rest of the government, has a thing for clinical psychs over any others so if you need documentation check whether it needs to come from a clinical. This is dumb because (as a clinical psych) I can say that in most settings we all do very similar work, but I expect they will take any opportunity to use rules to turn down applications.

Oh yea woops, shoulda clarified this does get people shot down and i'd say most med certs are done by gp's.

e: also if it does get shot down just go get another one written out with the right things on it you don't just get 1 shot.

naeka fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 13, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

naeka posted:

But it has to say condition has exacerbated you can't get an exemption for same condition twice unless they put that.

This is misleading. From personal experience, it has to be ongoing and sufficiently debilitating that you can't work more than 8hrs/week, and they can only be issued three times in a row. After that you'll need to have one of two interviews (possibly both), Job Capacity Assessment (which you need anyway if you want to claim DSP), and ESAT or Assessment of Work Capacity. Your doctor has to be specific about whether the condition is/is not going to improve within 2 years on the centrelink MC. In my case, I fall between the cracks a bit and I'm waiting on a 2nd neurologist appointment to be more certain of the physical issues but they've given me a year and a half off job searching because it was obvious that I was going to need it and the system couldn't permit rolling MC's.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

ewe2 posted:

This is misleading. From personal experience, it has to be ongoing and sufficiently debilitating that you can't work more than 8hrs/week, and they can only be issued three times in a row. After that you'll need to have one of two interviews (possibly both), Job Capacity Assessment (which you need anyway if you want to claim DSP), and ESAT or Assessment of Work Capacity. Your doctor has to be specific about whether the condition is/is not going to improve within 2 years on the centrelink MC. In my case, I fall between the cracks a bit and I'm waiting on a 2nd neurologist appointment to be more certain of the physical issues but they've given me a year and a half off job searching because it was obvious that I was going to need it and the system couldn't permit rolling MC's.

Yup absolutely, there's alot of limitations on it and if you expect it to be more than a few months you are gonna wanna go straight for dsp instead. For long term illnesses newstart pressures are honestly gonna make you worse even if you get exemptions so you may aswell start the (extremely) difficult dsp process asap.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Federal officials plan to back the destruction of almost 2000 hectares of pristine Queensland forest in a move that threatens the Great Barrier Reef and undermines a $500 million Turnbull government rescue package for the natural wonder.
A draft report by the Department of the Environment and Energy recommends that the government allow the mass vegetation clearing at Kingvale Station on Cape York Peninsula. The area to be bulldozed is almost three times the size of the combined central business districts of Sydney and Melbourne.

The draft recommendation comes despite the department conceding the native forest is likely to contain endangered species, and despite expert warnings that runoff caused by the clearing may damage the reef.
Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg will make a final ruling on the proposal. It will test his long-stated willingness to protect the reef from poor water quality, which is triggered by land clearing.
Last month the government announced it would spend more than $500 million to protect the reef, including $201 million to improve water quality through better farming practices.
A rejection of the Kingvale proposal would put Mr Frydenberg at odds with Queensland Coalition MPs who have vocally backed the plan.

Kingvale Station owner Scott Harris wants to clear the land – mostly eucalypt forest and melaleuca swamplands – to make way for cropping and other activities.
The former Queensland Newman government approved the work in April 2014. However the federal government determined that the clearing must also be assessed under Commonwealth laws.

The department’s draft report, on which submissions closed this week, concluded the proposal should be approved, subject to conditions. A final recommendation will be made when submissions are considered.
Conditions include that clearing be limited to 1846 hectares and only take place on flat land to “manage the risks" of erosion and sedimentation. Clearing should not occur within 100 metres of a watercourse or wetland, contour banks must be used to manage water flow and erosion should be repaired before each wet season.

The proponent told the department the land clearing would not cause damage to the reef.
The clearing is proposed on land that drains into two rivers that run into the Great Barrier Reef 200 kilometres downstream.
The draft recommendation comes despite a government-commissioned expert warning that soil erosion from the work was “likely to contribute to poor water quality” in the reef world heritage area.

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority also said that during floods the clearing “is almost guaranteed” to result in fine sediment entering Princess Charlotte Bay, where the rivers meet the reef.
Poor water quality is one of the most pressing problems facing the reef. It is largely caused by nutrient, pesticide and sediment run-off from agriculture. It can cause algal growth at the expense of coral, block light and smother corals, as well as exacerbate outbreaks of the venomous crown-of-thorns starfish, which are a major cause of coral loss.
The department also concluded that the clearing would affect a host of endangered species including the Northern quoll, and loggerhead and leatherback turtles.

Despite the concerns raised, the department concluded the likely impacts of the clearing “will not be unacceptable” if conditions were adhered to.
The department said the proponent had been charged in Queensland over illegal land clearing at another of his properties, Strathmore Station. But because the charges had not been heard by a court, the department “does not have evidence that the proponent has any established unsatisfactory record of environmental management”.

The department has been under political pressure to green-light the proposal.
In August 2016 then Minister for Agriculture Barnaby Joyce said there was insufficient evidence to determine that the clearing would damage water quality in the reef.

The same month, Northern Australia Minister Matt Canavan told The Australian newspaper that landowners should not have to face two levels of environmental assessment, adding that the federal scrutiny of the Kingvale plan discouraged development.
Cairns MP Warren Entsch told the newspaper he had contacted Mr Frydenberg to “ask what the bloody hell is going [on] ... you can’t get development in these areas without land clearing’’.
Australian Conservation Foundation policy analyst James Trezise said it was “astounding” that the government was pouring money into water quality improvements while planning to “wave through more of the destruction causing the damage”.
He said approving the proposal would also set a dangerous precedent by deeming that tree clearing on flat land did not pose a runoff risk.

The Wilderness Society’s Queensland campaign manager Gemma Plesman said the proposed clearing was “incredibly risky”.
“Over the past four years Queensland has cleared one million hectares of native vegetation because the former Newman Government axed important environment protections. This bulldozing plan ... must be rejected,” she said.
A spokesman for Mr Frydenberg said the department’s draft report “proposed strict conditions and mitigation measures informed by expert scientific advice”.

All feedback will be considered by the department as it finalises its recommendation, he said.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What a loving shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

naeka posted:

Yup absolutely, there's alot of limitations on it and if you expect it to be more than a few months you are gonna wanna go straight for dsp instead. For long term illnesses newstart pressures are honestly gonna make you worse even if you get exemptions so you may aswell start the (extremely) difficult dsp process asap.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it, but hopefully the specialist can make a clear enough report that the govt doctor can take on board. I was a bit surprised they found some slack in the system to be honest, but I think the problems with getting DSP appointments etc have been piling up on them in the last couple of years and they're just as frustrated with the limitations. They really need to rewrite the mainframe code hahahaha like that'll happen.

• Locked thread