Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I hope they don't mind colon cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Often Abbreviated posted:

That and quantitative easing would be basically impossible under a Bitcoin style currency because the central bank doesn't have infinite Bitcoin-creating power like they do with real money. They'd be limited to whatever amount of bitcoins the government had been able to recover through taxation. Can't buy all the bad stocks if you don't have any money.

yo this is actually really bad and not a feature

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Often Abbreviated posted:

Banks do invent money all the time. They loan out a bunch of money during the day, find out after that they don't have enough reserves to cover the 10% minimum or whatever the law says it needs to be, so they borrow money from the central bank to fill up the reserve. The central bank might be the one "creating" the money but they wouldn't have done so without the pressure from the commercial bank.
That's true. The question of the central bank is usually left out of discussions of "balancing the budget", but some people go further and cry about the money "devaluation" that the central bank does by printing money.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also, a public ledger wouldn't help much I think in regards to banks printing money for corrupt purposes.

The central bank bought large amounts of toxic assets at pre-crash prices. Banks essentially created large amounts of fraudulent loans and were paid for having made those fraudulent loans by the central bank. This is already known public information. But the banks are getting away with the crime and are mostly left unscathed.

A public ledger helps a bit for accountability sure, but I mean the gist of the heist is already known and we are rewarding the perpetrators and not punishing them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A public ledger wouldn't help for poo poo because 99.9% of those transactions are already public it is just that no one can or wants to sift through millions of financial transactions a day and look for crap... Nonetheless people still do that and people could tell the mortgage crisis was coming quite a while before it happened.

Like hi if it is a publicly traded company it by law has to have all its financials public. If they break the law to skirt that then they'll break the law to skirt it with a public crypto ledger, too.

comedyblissoption posted:

I mean the gist of the heist is already known and we are rewarding the perpetrators and not punishing them.

exactly

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Moridin920 posted:

yo this is actually really bad and not a feature

Oh I agree 100%. Limiting a government or a central bank with sound money religious dogma is a loving terrible idea and part of the reason Bitcoin is garbage on anything larger than a hobbyist scale.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which data structure should they build a cult around next?

Binary Space Partition Trees!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Flash

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

orange sky posted:

Do you know what integrity means

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Personified by a horrible oval office.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Remember everyone today is Mother's Day. Instead of bringing flowers, give her the gift she'll truly appreciate, Bitcoin. After all, she was strong enough to hodl you. Her love for you, like the value of Bitcoin, will just shoot to the moon.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Remember everyone today is Mother's Day. Instead of bringing flowers, give her the gift she'll truly appreciate, Bitcoin. After all, she was strong enough to hodl you. Her love for you, like the value of Bitcoin, will just shoot to the moon.

I’ve given your mother plenty of love already

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Vreo ICO: Shaping Games Development With Blockchain Technology

Functioning like a digital in-game billboard, ad-space on display will trigger real-time token payouts from advertisers to developers, thereby rewarding the most agreeable form of advertisement for the players. To collect funds and bring this idea to the next level, Vreo has launched an Initial Coin Offering (ICO).

Vreo's disruptive system does not only reward clever in-game integration of ad-space but also gives players unprecedented sway over the game's development. It's the end of annoying in-game advertisement as we know it.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vreo-ico-shaping-games-development-with-blockchain-technology-300646757.html
https://ico.vreo.io/

Ads in games, sounds like a great idea. Disruptive indeed, just not the way you Muppets think...

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
An economy based on a deflationary currency is great. Instead of putting all the money back into the economy and contributing to society and/or technology development, the wealthy can now just hoard it all in bunkers forever:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-09/bunkers-for-the-wealthy-are-said-to-hoard-10-billion-of-bitcoin

I can't wait for the future where all fiat is dead and 99% of the world's bitcoin is in a Swiss bunker. The peasant class fights for the scarce remainder.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Better believe that internet funny money is full of crumblejohns, nancymakers, bucketlaggers, and bootpasters.

In all seriousness I'm patiently waiting for a comprehensive study that actually compares Bitcoin's carbon footprint if it was adopted mainstream to that of the current financial system as a whole. So no, not just Visa's datacenters but the dozens of other poo poo like transportation, office/bank operation, money printing, etc. My hunch is that bitcoin is less overall but I can be swayed with the proper evidence.

Then there's the whole humanity being hosed without commercial fusion power regardless.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bitcoin couldn't handle the transaction volume flat out.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Risc1911 posted:

Vreo's disruptive system does not only reward clever in-game integration of ad-space

die

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wide stance posted:

In all seriousness I'm patiently waiting for a comprehensive study that actually compares Bitcoin's carbon footprint if it was adopted mainstream to that of the current financial system as a whole. So no, not just Visa's datacenters but the dozens of other poo poo like transportation, office/bank operation, money printing, etc. My hunch is that bitcoin is less overall but I can be swayed with the proper evidence.

I like how people trot this out as if crypto currency and the entire global financial system and everything it enables are the same things and thus worthy of making an energy use comparison.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wide stance posted:

My hunch is that bitcoin is less overall but I can be swayed with the proper evidence.
If you define "the current financial system" as "all economic activity that does not directly involve the production of bitcoin," perhaps you are right. If you want a leg up on your next excuse, start using the prospect that there would be a massive crash in economic activity as an argument that is good for Bitcoin.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just googling around there were about 430 billion cashless transactions in 2015. In 2015 the world produced about 24,000 TWhr of energy. If Bitcoin handled all of those transactions at 215 khhr per transaction you are looking at what, 10,000 TWhrs of energy consumption? Something close to 50% of the energy the world created that year. Does the financial industry currently consume close to 50% of all energy (gas, coal, oil, renewable so that number included transportation) generated? Not even laughably close.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wide stance posted:

Better believe that internet funny money is full of crumblejohns, nancymakers, bucketlaggers, and bootpasters.

Then there's the whole humanity being hosed without commercial fusion power regardless.

Why do you have that hunch? In the world economy Bitcoin would only replace money printing and maybe Paypal. Credit cards would still exist, banks would still exist, virtually all of the financial system would be using the same amount of electricity + you'd be tacking on the insane amount of electricity that bitcoin uses just to process digital transactions.

You've made posts like this before but then never responded to the replies. Are you even reading them?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuarkJets posted:

Why do you have that hunch? In the world economy Bitcoin would only replace money printing and maybe Paypal. Credit cards would still exist, banks would still exist, virtually all of the financial system would be using the same amount of electricity + you'd be tacking on the insane amount of electricity that bitcoin uses just to process digital transactions.

You've made posts like this before but then never responded to the replies. Are you even reading them?
Your post is full of Facts They Dislike, and also, bitcoiners are afraid of ducks, such as the one in your avatar.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Ethereum's upcoming PoS transition will (either fail spectacularly or) mitigate most of this because it's the only coin actually used IRL to transact anything.

https://bitinfocharts.com/cryptocurrency-charts.html

The average Bitcoin payment is $46,000, while Ethereum is used 4x as much and rising (also there's a bunch of Ripple spam for some reason but who knows what Ripple does or why). Ethereum's payment distribution is likely insanely bimodal due to ICOs and sending tokens around (which counts as $0), while Bitcoin basically doesn't have small payments anymore and hasn't for a year. All other coins have never been observed to exist in the wild and can only be viewed in their natural habitat, exchange wallets.

This is not to say that Bitcoin won't continue to waste insane amounts of electricity, but its waste is largely independent of transaction processing because Bitcoin doesn't process transactions. It's failed in a much more fundamental way than mere carbon exhaust.

Adar fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 13, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Adar posted:

Ethereum's upcoming PoS transition will (either fail spectacularly or) mitigate most of this because it's the only coin actually used IRL to transact anything.

https://bitinfocharts.com/cryptocurrency-charts.html

The average Bitcoin payment is $46,000, while Ethereum is used 4x as much and rising (also there's a bunch of Ripple spam for some reason but who knows what Ripple does or why). Ethereum's payment distribution is likely insanely bimodal due to ICOs and sending tokens around (which counts as $0), while Bitcoin basically doesn't have small payments anymore and hasn't for a year. All other coins have never been observed to exist in the wild and can only be viewed in their natural habitat, exchange wallets.

This is not to say that Bitcoin won't continue to waste insane amounts of electricity, but its waste is largely independent of transaction processing because Bitcoin doesn't process transactions. It's failed in a much more fundamental way than mere carbon exhaust.

I just wrote something about Ethereum Casper. tl;dr it'll centralise it utterly, but nobody will care as long as they can keep grifting with ICO tokens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good news, Microsoft has added javascript support to excel (who knows why) and someone has already wrote a coin miner in a spreadsheet.

https://charles.dardaman.com/js_coinhive_in_excel

Just imagine the chaos this will cause.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Good news, Microsoft has added javascript support to excel (who knows why) and someone has already wrote a coin miner in a spreadsheet.

https://charles.dardaman.com/js_coinhive_in_excel

Just imagine the chaos this will cause.

Oh god, all the businesses with lovely employees saving this on work computers to open to try and mine while working.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Zimbabwe Bans All Cryptocurrency Activity, Businesses Have 2 Month Grace Period
https://news.bitcoin.com/zimbabwe-bans-all-cryptocurrency-activity-businesses-have-2-month-grace-period/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Adar posted:

It'd be great if we could reduce the electricity used by the Ethereum network, it uses about 1/3rd of what bitcoin uses which is a shitload. Most other cryptocurrencies would still be proof of work, so the earth is still hosed, but at least someone tried to do something

However, proof of stake is in practice just a more convoluted proof of work scheme. It works as-advertised only if everyone agrees to play nice and not try to gain an advantage (lol cryptocurrency)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be great if we could reduce the electricity used by the Ethereum network, it uses about 1/3rd of what bitcoin uses which is a shitload. Most other cryptocurrencies would still be proof of work, so the earth is still hosed, but at least someone tried to do something

However, proof of stake is in practice just a more convoluted proof of work scheme. It works as-advertised only if everyone agrees to play nice and not try to gain an advantage (lol cryptocurrency)

How does it work?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

I just wrote something about Ethereum Casper. tl;dr it'll centralise it utterly, but nobody will care as long as they can keep grifting with ICO tokens.

I told my sister to read your book.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Risc1911 posted:

https://news.bitcoin.com/zimbabwe-bans-all-cryptocurrency-activity-businesses-have-2-month-grace-period/

Wasn't Zimbabwe supposed to be the showcase example of the developing country that would benefit from using digital pogs? Or was that some other country?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Wasn't Zimbabwe supposed to be the showcase example of the developing country that would benefit from using digital pogs? Or was that some other country?

Trump’s America ?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Risc1911 posted:

How bad is it when Zimbabwe says no to crypto

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://cointelegraph.com/news/amazon-microsofts-move-to-blockchain-centralized-companies-into-decentralized-ecosystem/

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Wamdoodle posted:

How bad is it when Zimbabwe says no to crypto is the voice of financial reason

FTFY

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

divabot posted:

QuarkJets posted:

Eth is already centralized around Vitalik. Unlike nearly every other crypto the miners have no control - what he says goes, and any attempt to undermine him would just result in another worthless fork. Under these circumstances POS will certainly be good enough because if someone doesn't play nice he'll just fork and leave them in the dust. As the entire ICO ecosystem also more or less depends on the existence of a single dominant ETH chain and they are the fuel behind the price rise, no one heavily invested in ICOs (ie everybody with any money) has any incentive to rock the boat either; they all know that if POS works as advertised it will kickstart another phase of the bubble. It's not reproducible by something like BCH or BTC itself, but ETH's circumstances leave a switch to POS inevitable over time.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I read all of that as 'Piece Of poo poo'

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jimmy Hats posted:

I read all of that as 'Piece Of poo poo'

well that is what we wrote

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Adar posted:

Eth is already centralized around Vitalik. Unlike nearly every other crypto the miners have no control - what he says goes, and any attempt to undermine him would just result in another worthless fork. Under these circumstances POS will certainly be good enough because if someone doesn't play nice he'll just fork and leave them in the dust. As the entire ICO ecosystem also more or less depends on the existence of a single dominant ETH chain and they are the fuel behind the price rise, no one heavily invested in ICOs (ie everybody with any money) has any incentive to rock the boat either; they all know that if POS works as advertised it will kickstart another phase of the bubble. It's not reproducible by something like BCH or BTC itself, but ETH's circumstances leave a switch to POS inevitable over time.

I wasn't talking about a miner revolt, I was talking about how every POS implementation to date has resulted in people being able to convert computational power into cryptocurrency. Being on board with Vitalik is irrelevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1 ETH = 1 LAMBO