Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Sometimes it does work??

Sure, sometimes it works. That's why, as you demonstrate, you remember the outliers in which it did work, rather than the countless times it didn't. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

Sure, I'll be pleased if Lucifer manages to get picked up somewhere else, but it was a bubble show and getting too worked up over a bubble show getting the axe is a waste of energy and effort. To see such waste, wait for it, is a pet peeve. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, etc.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:04 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It works for the shows that matter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My peeve relating to canceled shows is exactly the opposite; the people who, whenever someone dares so much as hint that they're sad that a show they liked got canceled, can't resist popping up talking about THIS IS HOW RATINGS WORK and TELEVISION IS A BUSINESS and shut the gently caress up I understand how it works, I just am not happy about it, okay?

(To be clear, no one in this conversation right now is doing that.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MisterBibs posted:

Sure, I'll be pleased if Lucifer manages to get picked up somewhere else, but it was a bubble show and getting too worked up over a bubble show getting the axe is a waste of energy and effort. To see such waste, wait for it, is a pet peeve. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, etc.
I also am annoyed when people care about things they like.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it pisses me off when people care about poo poo!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I don’t care

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MORE LIKE OLD CARELESS!!!

Finally

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CelticPredator posted:

MORE LIKE OLD CARELESS!!!

Finally

More like Old Couldn't Care Less

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

starkebn posted:

More like Old Couldn't Care Less

I hate it when people say "I could care less", when we know they mean "I could not care less".

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i hate 'Save Show X' campaigns because if it got cancelled, it was probably bad and deserved it, and really no tv show is so good that it's worth outing yourself as a person who cares that much about television

take that passion and start a garden or something

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TV is art

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Killingyouguy! posted:

i hate 'Save Show X' campaigns because if it got cancelled, it was probably bad and deserved it, and really no tv show is so good that it's worth outing yourself as a person who cares that much about television

take that passion and start a garden or something

Generally I agree but at least one time the continuation ended up being pretty good: Jericho. I can see why the ratings weren't great but I liked that show and the second season everyone asked for was just as good if not better.

The thing I hate is when a show I like gets cancelled and all the "fan campaign" accomplishes is a comic series continuing it. I liked it as a TV show, if I wanted to read a comic book I would have done that from the beginning. It also pollutes any conversation about a show because the comic book people barge in saying "well in the comic.....".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Zim comic owns. And I’m happy it exists as well as a new TV movie.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Generally I agree but at least one time the continuation ended up being pretty good: Jericho. I can see why the ratings weren't great but I liked that show and the second season everyone asked for was just as good if not better.

generally you agree shows get cancelled because they are bad except when it's a show you think is good :vince:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ulex minor posted:

generally you agree shows get cancelled because they are bad except when it's a show you think is good :vince:

I mean, yes, I did like it and was happy to see it back but that wasn't what I was talking about. I meant that usually when they give in and restart a cancelled show it seems to be poorly received, even if the original show was good. Jericho is an exception because the second season is generally higher rated than most of the original show.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Midig posted:

I hate it when people say "I could care less", when we know they mean "I could not care less".

I'm cool with this, because usually when people claim not to care about something, they actually do care about it. So "I could care less" actually ends up being correct.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
My pet peeve is driving related. My commute involves a ramp that goes from 2 lanes to 1 lane that merges onto a highway. The assholes who go all the way to the very end practically scrapping against the guard rail then stopping dead and "merging" in (read cutting anyone off to get in). This causes tons of backlog traffic as assholes will cut off people slowing everyone down and people trying to not let them in (never works). If everyone played nice it would go a lot smoother, but that will never happen.

2nd peeve is people who tailgate. Does this ever work? When someone tailgates me I will match my speed with a car next to me just to piss them off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Most tailgaters don't even realize that they are doing it. Sometimes it's road rage, but it's usually just poo poo driving.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Comics. Idk how people get through them. Even with great art that I’d love a print of, the format of sitting down and reading through it seems so tedious to me.

I can enjoy a page or two though, so the internet is cool for people just posting screencaps of highlights.

Two that I specifically remember are: one where 1940s Superman smashes up a bank Jesus-style and then delivers a Bernie Sanders speech, and one where, after the red scare comic codes end I think, the real Captain America shows up and berates the comic code rear end in a top hat Right Wing Ultrapatriot Cap, and maybe outs him as a nazi impersonator.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People you barely know who post birthday greetings on your Facebook. Like, your husband and I were friends years ago but now only really see each other once or twice a year at parties we both happen to be invited to, and you yourself I would probably walk straight by in the street without recognising - so why are you acknowledging my birthday? We're basically strangers. What are you getting out of this? What am I supposed to be getting out of it?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Aw, was it your birthday recently too?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

burial posted:

Aw, was it your birthday recently too?

Yes.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Sick! May birthdays are pretty ok.

That said, I kind of agree. I don’t have many people on facebook but that just makes it even weirder when people I otherwise never hear from post a single, unembellished “happy birthday” on my wall. I always feel compelled to comment, but never know what’s appropriate. “Thanks, how have you been for the last four years?” just seems rude - though I can’t explain why.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

They should just do away with the birthday notification thing. If you are close enough to wish each other happy birthday every year, you should just know when it is without a thing coming up guilting you into saying something. Plus it's just depressing when you're still friends with dead people and you get that yearly reminder of "oh yeah, I haven't thought about this friend dying in a while, thanks facebook". There are people that post happy birthday wishes every year that are enthusiastic like "hope you have a great one!" and I have to wonder if they realize he's dead.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Just don't have people on your Facebook friend list you wouldn't talk to in the street

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

starkebn posted:

Just don't have people on your Facebook friend list you wouldn't talk to in the street

That will inevitably lead to an angry pm from people you haven't spoken to in 5 years sayong i thought we were friends etc. I found that out last time i trimmed my friends list. It's easier to just continue pretending they don't exist.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That will inevitably lead to an angry pm from people you haven't spoken to in 5 years sayong i thought we were friends etc. I found that out last time i trimmed my friends list. It's easier to just continue pretending they don't exist.

I've just got 30 family members and close friends on my facebook, and use it for a news feed otherwise, gently caress the rest

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

They should just do away with the birthday notification thing. If you are close enough to wish each other happy birthday every year, you should just know when it is without a thing coming up guilting you into saying something. Plus it's just depressing when you're still friends with dead people and you get that yearly reminder of "oh yeah, I haven't thought about this friend dying in a while, thanks facebook". There are people that post happy birthday wishes every year that are enthusiastic like "hope you have a great one!" and I have to wonder if they realize he's dead.

Facebook "reminded" me about my wifes birthday recently...at 3pm on the day.

Gee, thanks for the heads up. Not like I've already given her presents :downs:

Even if I had forgotten a birthday, thats too late! Remind me 2 days before so I can get something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Comics. Idk how people get through them. Even with great art that I’d love a print of, the format of sitting down and reading through it seems so tedious to me.

I can enjoy a page or two though, so the internet is cool for people just posting screencaps of highlights.

Two that I specifically remember are: one where 1940s Superman smashes up a bank Jesus-style and then delivers a Bernie Sanders speech, and one where, after the red scare comic codes end I think, the real Captain America shows up and berates the comic code rear end in a top hat Right Wing Ultrapatriot Cap, and maybe outs him as a nazi impersonator.

Comics and wrestling are two things that sound fun when their fans talk about them but that I cannot get myself into at all (partially because there are too many comics. To me it’s like if I just now decided to get into music). I enjoy learning silly things about them from people who care.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My birthday is no joke september 11th. I am so sick of everyone who cards me or learns my birthday commenting on it.

I turned nine and got a gameboy advance, I didn’t really comprehend or care about how tragic it was.

Incidentally I remember sitting with my grandma playing pokemon sapphire on that very same gameboy advance when dubya gave his ultimatum on tv declaring Not-War on Iraq.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That thing in TV shows and movies where someone makes a heroic sacrifice to buy everyone else time to escape, and everyone just stands there and watches, making it completely pointless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

That thing in TV shows and movies where someone makes a heroic sacrifice to buy everyone else time to escape, and everyone just stands there and watches, making it completely pointless.

And the way it gets drawn out.

"Go!"
*Stares intensely*
"Get out of here!"
*Tears in eyes* I'm not leaving you!"
"I'm dead anyways, go!"
"You can make it!"
"There's nothing left for me out there; at least this way I can buy you some time!"
*Shaking head, lip shaking*
"Run!"
"It's not worth it!"
"Remember what I told you when this all started?"
"I- I can't just go!"
"There's no other choice!"
*Looks at bad guys who have been coming around the corner, shooting, for five minutes now*
"But--"
"Run, you fool!"
*The realization dawns that they must escape now* "I'll come back for you!"
"I've always loved you!"
*Tearful close-up*
*Tearful close-up*
*Tearful close-up*
*Whispering* "go"

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
One of my favorite take-offs on this was the series finale of Seinfeld, when they get sent to prison for a year:

Elaine: "David?"
Puddy: "Yeah?"
Elaine: "Don't wait for me."
Puddy: "Okay."
*Walks out*

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Along that line but with any movie about an infection/zombie outbreak. Discuss the plan BEFORE you get bit! Do you want your loved ones to kill you right then or give you a few minutes (depending on how fast you turn)?

Peeve: any studies that say we shower too much. gently caress you, I shower 1-3 times a day because I work in a physically demanding job, and it's over 100 here on a good day, and 24 hour deodorant is a LIE.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
People who give advice that have no business giving advice.

Our neighbor, who literally has not mowed his grass this year, told us we should cut our grass a little higher because we're "scalping" it. Yes, you moron, a 3-4 inch tall grass is going to look scalped compared to your 2 foot tall jungle :what:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Old white men.

Hate 'em

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
The words "yummy", "ooey gooey", and "scrummy". gently caress off, you sound like you're speaking toddler language and the sound of it puts me off food.
Also gently caress people making sex noises in food commercials. Specifically in those new "food interpreter" commercials McDonald's is doing.
Nobody should go "mmmMmmmMm" while they eat it's gross you sound gross.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Stairs posted:

The words "yummy", "ooey gooey", and "scrummy". gently caress off, you sound like you're speaking toddler language and the sound of it puts me off food.
Also gently caress people making sex noises in food commercials. Specifically in those new "food interpreter" commercials McDonald's is doing.
Nobody should go "mmmMmmmMm" while they eat it's gross you sound gross.

Can we add "om nom nom" to the list please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
the only thing sexual about eating mcdonalds food is the shame and regret you feel when people catch you doing it in public