Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Taro yoko has melted your mind. Sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I laughed because that’s a hot loving take. She isn’t even as sexualized as the characters in the Witcher like Trish or goon favorite Bayonetta.

Look at the physical characteristics of the character right down to the bow legging... It's ludicrous. Bayonetta's outfit is probably more modest and at least suits the character's personality. Nier A is literally watching some dude's hand crafted fuckdoll run around.

e: I don't care to start an argument about this (probably again) but 2b and Quiet are literally some guy's fantasy sexy time and you can see it in everything about them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I still can’t decide if D2 is worth jumping back into for me. I loved playing through the main story and the sandbox stuff but as someone who only plays solo there’s a clear wall that always shows up unfortunately. I don’t hate on it like a lot of folks though. The gameplay feels great and the loot hooks are addicting as always. At least while it lasts.

They've done an okay job with fixing it so far. There's some :laffo: stuff going on (like 6v6 being tied to Iron Banner and none of the two new PVP Season rankings they introduced connected to 6v6) but it's not as bad. If "Comet" or whatever the Year 2 Expansion is called isn't a major step up then I'll probably just call it a day.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Forgot I had this downloaded, what areas/stuff does it have?

I'm actually not sure, sorry. I haven't looked that into it beyond just downloading it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

He's not real. Your boner is a lie.

don't tell me how to feel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JBP posted:

Look at the physical characteristics of the character right down to the bow legging... It's ludicrous. Bayonetta's outfit is probably more modest and at least suits the character's personality. Nier A is literally watching some dude's hand crafted fuckdoll run around.

Lol so appropriate to the character is an excuse now even if the characters whole point is objectification

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I laughed because that’s a hot loving take. She isn’t even as sexualized as the characters in the Witcher like Trish or goon favorite Bayonetta. Whatever her name was.

Bayonetta maybe but triss? The lads gone mad

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
He both cares deeply for Kazuya and also was worried that he killed him in his insane fury. He is the very model of an organized criminal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol so appropriate to the character is an excuse now even if the characters whole point is objectification

I said at least. I didn't say good.

I probably take all your posts out of context because they've got Roy Schneider next to them yelling at me and it starts me off on a bad footing.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I laughed because that’s a hot loving take. She isn’t even as sexualized as the characters in the Witcher like Trish or goon favorite Bayonetta. Whatever her name was.

my dude, both of those characters at least wear pants

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

nopantsjack posted:

Bayonetta maybe but triss? The lads gone mad

Triss has cleavage out but yeah, she wears pants and leather armour. I think she wears a sexy gown to dinner or to gently caress at some stage tho.

e: VVVVVV yeah my response to every single time someone saw me playing that game and was like "um, dude" I would wave my hand at them and reply "Japan".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm pretty sure lorewise the automata androids are literally repurposed sex dolls but thats neither here not there when erryone with eyes can see 2bs boob window and giant anaconda rear end and thong

That would be super tacky for a western game now but Japan is gonna Japan

Mandrel posted:

I’m watching that days gone hour video and everything about this looks insanely average and boring. this voice acting and dialogue is awful. the developer going “there’s just one writer pretty much, me” gave me douchechills

Since the reveal all Iv seen is the main character in the thumbnail. Is he really another white brunette with stubble? Why is the MC always the most boring looking rear end in a top hat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bombadilillo posted:

He's not real. Your boner is a lie.

existence precedes essence

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Witcher magic users are sterile and the first spell they learn is to change their appearance. Canonically they are dtf and wearing the most provocative clothes they can.

Still not as dirty as some Nier booty. You goons dont like :tutbutt: ?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mandrel posted:

my dude, both of those characters at least wear pants

Bayonetta on several occasions doesn’t not wear pants. Including her big attacks.

Hell same for Triss.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

What are you guys playing this weekend/planning on starting soon?

Kiwami, Sims 4, Hatsune Miku. Gotta get back on GOW and HZD, but will do that after Yakuza I think.

I’m mostly mainlining plot in Kiwami right now, but when I need a break Sims 4 and Hatsune Miku work in a pinch. I gotta say, the PS4 port of Sims 4 is actually really good and stable. My wife is a huge fan of the series (last gen she bought literally every expansion pack and DLC for Sims 3) but she fell off Sims 4 really hard. It was on sale on PSN a few weeks ago so we both ended up picking it back up again. She’s playing on PC. Graphics wise there is very little difference between PS4 and PC, but my game never crashes whereas she experiences crashes at least once every other playthrough. I thought playing it with a controller would suck, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The PC version obviously has more gameplay features, but the PS4 version is really good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I played a bit of pillars of exile but I think km gonna refund it to free up time for Yakuza 0 cause I gotta beat that, trash Kiwami then get that new hotness.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Now that I'm done with Hokuto ga Gotoku I'm back to Super Robot Wars X. I think I missed the secret conditions to get the Nightingale though. Such is SRW life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C33Cg_x78f0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

What are you guys playing this weekend/planning on starting soon?

I'm gonna keep trying to power up people in Disgaea 5 so I can actually have more than two people who can handle the Carnage Dimension and maybe bounce back and forth between that and Yakuza 0 when I just wanna powerbomb people instead doing a Big Bang with a punch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

TotalHell posted:

I realized I was bored with ME:A several hours in, and that the actual activities in the world didn’t feel interesting and I wasn’t getting into any of the characters. And I might have continued, but there was a weird spiral thing where realizing I was bored just made me really sad about the whole thing because of how much I loved the original MEs, so I never went back.

Akuma posted:

Emphatic same. I’ve seen so many other people have the exact same experience.

Yeah this seems to be a recurring theme with people who were disappointed with Andromeda. I might be better able to enjoy it cuz i was never that into the earlier mass effects. Never played 1, enjoyed 2 thought it was a good game but got bored somewhere in the middle of 3. Never cared much for the story or any of the characters tbh. Except the green dude with lung cancer or whatever he owns. And garrus was okay too, before everyone jumps on me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fridge corn posted:

Yeah this seems to be a recurring theme with people who were disappointed with Andromeda. I might be better able to enjoy it cuz i was never that into the earlier mass effects. Never played 1, enjoyed 2 thought it was a good game but got bored somewhere in the middle of 3. Never cared much for the story or any of the characters tbh. Except the green dude with lung cancer or whatever he owns. And garrus was okay too, before everyone jumps on me

So what are you actually getting out of ME: Andromeda, out of curiosity? Because for whatever you think of the original trilogy's characters and story, Andromeda's are almost entirely worse across the board.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sometimes characters (read almost every loving time) are just designed to be appealing to the key demographic. Western games are just as guilty as Japanese

Doesnt make the games less meaningful imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

Sometimes characters (read almost every loving time) are just designed to be appealing to the key demographic. Western games are just as guilty as Japanese

Doesnt make the games less meaningful imo.

To my mind 2b undermines whatever it is the game was trying to say with a character created as personal j/o material. Like I said my GF would have loved playing the game as she'd already expressed liking the environment and the themes I filled her in on, but then she just says gently caress playing as that protagonist. Unincredibly she likes Life is Strange (loving UGH) and Uncharted LL a lot, which is because of female leads for sure, but it also makes me ask why does 2b exist the way she does? It's not for anyone to more easily identify with and it doesn't serve anything outside of the creator professing he likes rear end. It's fine for people to look past that, enjoy rear end, enjoy Japan or whatever else it is being advocated, but I can't understand moving to pillory people who say the design of 2b is weird and it damages the experience for large numbers of players.

It reads very much like "n... n... no you see she's actually a re-purposed fucktoy that's why she looks like that. She's not even a she, it's a robot! No this is nothing like the ten thousand year old demon that looks like a nine year old." I will also say very clearly I know that's not what you're saying and you're speaking more broadly, but the tone of a few posts has been along these lines.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So what are you actually getting out of ME: Andromeda, out of curiosity? Because for whatever you think of the original trilogy's characters and story, Andromeda's are almost entirely worse across the board.

I keep facing down the temptation to try it thinking "well if it's boring it just means it more of the same" but I know that isn't going to be the case and I'm going to be disappointed in myself after a couple of hours.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I thought i'd be able to muscle through andromeda as i got it late and for cheap, but it's just so boring. The first RPG i've ever played where i've started skipping through dialogue, a lot of internal 'oh who gives a poo poo' moments with myself when people were trying to justify what was happening.
Also a cast of apparently highly trained professional scientists who in no way behave anything like people who are in their position should be behaving. Nothing that happens even came close to selling me on the setting and positions of everyone involved.
It's weird because a lot of love and care did go into it by some teams - the art side on the planets, exploring, combat is very fined honed, some moments are incredible - but all the incidental dialogue and world building is staggeringly amateurish. The hatred leveled on it on release was a bit much, but it was essentially mass effect 4 by bioware, and it's single worst failing is the one thing bioware were supposed to be the best at.

And 3 pages ago someone posted a tweet where someone who finished god of war took a break from games, and this was deemed weird.
I do that all the time. If there's a game i'm super into and play from start to finish without anything else, I take a break from games for a couple of weeks after the story concludes. After such a long and all encompassing experience it's weird to just dive straight into the next experience. I feel like it cheapens my appreciation - I'm not going to put it on a pedestal, but diving straight into the next looking for more after an extremely satisfying bit of 'entertainment' makes me feel uncomfortable.
I do the same with other things too - after a good book I dont jump straight into another, after binging a tv season I dont get straight into a different show. Even with other pursuits after I finish a song I take a break from making music for a bit. it's pretty healthy. Got to give experiences time to settle.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

JBP posted:

it also makes me ask why does 2b exist the way she does?

It went a bit far, but 2b is supposed to be alluring to 9s - to the point where 9s develops an obsession. the 'age gap' reinforces this alongside her clothing design too, he's very much played as an adolescent who looks up to her and his change through the game relies on that. I am not at all defending being able to blow her clothes off, but to answer your question directly there is a pretty clear reason why she has a whole skimpy attire 19yr old thing going on alongside his 16yr old boy character.

I'd defend this over quiet in mgs5, the decision to have her dress the way she did didnt impact the story in any way whatsoever, whereas this is at least thematically consistent and helps to reinforce the plot rather than undermine it. yoko taro and kojima are both perverts, but at least one managed to make it work in the story and at no point is looking up her skirt or blowing the clothes off mandatory.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 13, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I forgot about Quiet. She is probably the most over sexualized character in games. Even over Bayonetta.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Well for one trying to explain Japanese character designs beyond "Japanese like sexy/cute/eccentric/slender looking characters" seems futile.

To Nier Automata's credit the character designs have practically nothing to do with the characters themselves so if you can look past appearances theres some really good character drama and stuff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think we can all agree that Quiet was a terrible mistake.

cubicle gangster posted:

It went a bit far, but 2b is supposed to be alluring to 9s - to the point where 9s develops an obsession. the 'age gap' reinforces this alongside her clothing design too, he's very much played as an adolescent who looks up to her and his change through the game relies on that. I am not at all defending being able to blow her clothes off, but to answer your question directly there is a pretty clear reason why she has a whole skimpy attire 19yr old thing going on alongside his 16yr old boy character.

Fair enough. I have not been a teen for a long time, so none of this struck a chord with me and I barely remember anything of their interactions outside of him being a dedicated puppy dog. Still makes the character a cardboard cutout j/o pic, but idk... at least Taro tried? Although I'm not sure what dressing a sex toy up for a teen boy to fuss over is trying to do if I'm completely honest.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 13, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cubicle gangster posted:

It went a bit far, but 2b is supposed to be alluring to 9s - to the point where 9s develops an obsession. the 'age gap' reinforces this alongside her clothing design too, he's very much played as an adolescent and his change through the game relies on that. I am not at all defending being able to blow her clothes off, but to answer your question directly there is a pretty clear reason why she has a whole skimpy attire 19yr old thing going on alongside his 16yr old boy character.

2B exists as-is because Yoko Taro likes attractive girls. That's it. He's stated as much openly when directly asked about her design.

Quiet, on the other hand, was Kojima trying to wank about how important her being near-naked is important to the plot and :words::fh:.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The absolute best thing about Quiet is the Kojima tweet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed how researching how to put clothes on her requires the same level of R&D as equipping your forces with man-portable anti-aircraft missiles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2B exists as-is because Yoko Taro likes attractive girls. That's it. He's stated as much openly when directly asked about her design.

Quiet, on the other hand, was Kojima trying to wank about how important her being near-naked is important to the plot and :words::fh:.

Nah the costume design definitely has a point to it.

That fact you can destroy her skirt for that rear end is definitely all Taro.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you ever read an interview with him before? Even slightly familiar with how he talk abouts his games stories, intentionally undermines them and pretends they are much more simple than they are?

I agree the clothing choices went a bit far but to say that the character could have been totally different is very clearly not true - the adolesent pining for the slightly older 'sexy' woman is a fundamental and integral part of the story the game tells.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 13, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

cubicle gangster posted:

the adolesent pining for the slightly older 'sexy' woman is a fundamental and integral part of the story the game tells.

lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Eh it’s true. It’s kind of 9s arc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I forgot about Quiet. She is probably the most over sexualized character in games. Even over Bayonetta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it’s true. It’s kind of 9s arc.

Yeah I know. I find that hilarious. Games are art now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Quiet is awesome if you never see her.

Just a green laser beam coming from a bush on top of a mountain that headshots anyone who sees you, bounces your thrown grenades into the flight paths of helicopters, and replies to you with static.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JBP posted:

Uhhhh games were always art case in point:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought it was cool how you kept Quiet in a cage shittier than the one full of goats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

JBP posted:

This is the same game where the real ending has you play an arcade shoot em up against every name in the end credits - the only way to really finish is by destroying the creators, at which point you can sacrifice yourself by deleting your save where you'll appear as an entitity to aid someone during the same sequence .
it's all very tightly connected too - 3/4 through I was genuinly worried the ideas thrown out would just be a lot of random things but they all come together in a pretty neat little package by the time it wraps up.