Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rutibex posted:

TImesplitters is superior to Perfect Dark in EVERY single way, especially this guy:

Timesplitters 2 is one of the best local 4-way fps ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

old beast lunatic posted:

If you take the time to customize it till it feels right it can do just about anything. Using the gyro (motion controls) to fine tune your aim is great for couch shooters. I even use the gyro as a steering wheel for racing sims in a bean bag chair. The thing is really easy to configure, even for old keyboard only games.

It's awkward at first but if you take the time to get used to it and set up sensitivity and stuff to your liking it's amazing. I can't video games without it anymore.

The gyro actually works really, really well for emulating a racing wheel. You can set it to give a little bump of haptic feedback when you center the wheel or lock it in either direction.

Everything the guy above said, plus the on-screen touch menu / radial menu is perfect for setting up hotkeys in old games. You can even give the menus special symbols. I have my Oblivion configuration set up with different spell icons and everything.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is better than Metroid PRime 1

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
A lot of the Phantasy Star 2 soundtrack sounds like it could be variations on or at least inspired by Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwt2dxx9yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgfI6jzOWik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2G7i38V6ko

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Miranda Lawson is hot.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It is immoral to back Lara Croft into a corner so the camera turns 180° and beat off to her enormous bazongos.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, gex.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The blue shell single-handedly ruined Mario Kart

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

The blue shell single-handedly ruined Mario Kart

There was a time where I would have agreed with you, but after playing a ton of Wipeout online lately I can say it's almost necessary for a game like that. Wipeout has no equivalent, and the first guy to get a half a second ahead of the pack gets out of weapon range and wins the race by a mile while everyone gets slammed around by bombs. Someone wins before the end of the first lap and it's boring. The blue shell sucks but it's a lesser of two evils.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 13, 2018

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I just started playing Baldur’s Gate and can’t understand why it’s well-remembered, or was even well-received at the time it was released. Fallout came out the year before it and managed to not be a poorly-designed, player-hostile, joyless pile of poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

I just started playing Baldur’s Gate and can’t understand why it’s well-remembered, or was even well-received at the time it was released. Fallout came out the year before it and managed to not be a poorly-designed, player-hostile, joyless pile of poo poo.

I'm one of the apparent minority who think Baldur's Gate and all infinity engine and similar engine games were complete rear end up to and including Pillars of Eternity. poo poo pathfinding and the crappiest combat the world has ever known. Whoever thought real time combat with pausing every 2-3 seconds was good gameplay needs to be vigorously flogged.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I didn’t play super-far into Planescape, but I don’t remember hating the combat so much, likely because the encounter sizes were smaller.

durrrrrrrrrrr let’s make the player storm a fortress full of dozens of respawning gnolls at a level where their spellcasters get to cast three times per day. Also, the quest is time-sensitive.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm one of the apparent minority who think Baldur's Gate and all infinity engine and similar engine games were complete rear end up to and including Pillars of Eternity. poo poo pathfinding and the crappiest combat the world has ever known. Whoever thought real time combat with pausing every 2-3 seconds was good gameplay needs to be vigorously flogged.

The combat is not real time, you are supposed to pause like every second. Is that good, I dunno, but the constant pausing is the design.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This was an age where ADnD was the best they could manage, so you could die from the first hit you take

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Baldurs gate 1 adheres to a different design philosophy than most rpg’s, certainly most rpg’s that came after it. Its a true sandbox in that the PC is not the center if the world. I like it, but its certainly not for everyone. The combat is somewhat clumsy, but it was basically a glorified tech demo for baldurs gate 2, where the designers realised what they actually had on their hands: the greatest turn based mage battle simulator ever. In BG1, the secret to combat was crowd control and ranged weapons. In BG2, its pure mage chess. You have to know what your enemy is casting and counter it with your own casters. Its convoluted, deep and sometimes unfair but its unlike any game ive played and after close to 20 years im still playing it, and its not even a multiplayer game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That sounds like rear end and now I'm kinda glad I was turned off by BG1

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

signalnoise posted:

That sounds like rear end and now I'm kinda glad I was turned off by BG1

Yeah, its slow and quite hard, at least to master. It doesnt hold your hand or have a progressive difficulty, so ppl used to modern game design will prob. have a hard time getting into it.

To me those games are the pinnacle of RPG’s and everything has been a slow decline since. Ive yet to play pillars of earth, though

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 13, 2018

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The Steam Controller is actually pretty good even for twitchy shooters. If you get the gyro+pad set up right, Q3A is very playable. Not quite as precise as a mouse, but way better than you might think.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

There was a time where I would have agreed with you, but after playing a ton of Wipeout online lately I can say it's almost necessary for a game like that. Wipeout has no equivalent, and the first guy to get a half a second ahead of the pack gets out of weapon range and wins the race by a mile while everyone gets slammed around by bombs. Someone wins before the end of the first lap and it's boring. The blue shell sucks but it's a lesser of two evils.

Blue shell has counters too. You can boost right before it lands to dodge it, you can bust it with a horn, or you can keep 2nd place nearby to bird-dog the shell for you when you pump your brakes and let him get ahead of you.

Blue shell sucks but uncontested leads suck more. I would argue Bullet Bills are more fun-destroying

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK
Lagoon for the SNES is a better Ys like game than Ys itself.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Gary Dupre posted:

Lagoon for the SNES is a better Ys like game than Ys itself.

Except for the lovely sword length if you were trying to stab in certain directions. gently caress that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah, its slow and quite hard, at least to master. It doesnt hold your hand or have a progressive difficulty, so ppl used to modern game design will prob. have a hard time getting into it.

To me those games are the pinnacle of RPG’s and everything has been a slow decline since. Ive yet to play pillars of earth, though

Forget it being hard to get into vs modern game design, I called that poo poo in the 90s. The characters were great, and I wanted to get into the story, but the gameplay's bullshit (like dying in one hit at level 1) was only trumped by Ultima 8 and Daggerfall in terms of games I actually wanted to play.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Forget it being hard to get into vs modern game design, I called that poo poo in the 90s. The characters were great, and I wanted to get into the story, but the gameplay's bullshit (like dying in one hit at level 1) was only trumped by Ultima 8 and Daggerfall in terms of games I actually wanted to play.

you gotta understand that when bioware made bg1, they weren't trying to make a computer role playing game, they were trying to make a simulated tabletop role playing game. their whole design philosophy was completely different than later CRPG's.

as such, the convoluted rules, wacky balance and unforgiving, hard early game onto easier mid-to-late game difficulty curve were tabletop features that they wanted to implement, not really BAD game design. fallout 1 and many other 90s RPG's pretty much followed the same design philosophy.

if you look at KOTOR or Dragon Age & it's sequels, they're basically repeating the same formule buy the design philosophy has changed dramatically.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sup fellow RTwP hater

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I lile rtwp

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

i havent played any other rtwp game than an IE game that i'd liked

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I loved poe1 and poe2 ks so far quite good

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Got bored of BG1, love BG2, playing original FO and it's 'OK' but possibly gonna give up and try 2 (time limits are anti-fun). I found PoE to be a complete snoozefest, mostly because the narrative and characters are incompetently written (except anything written by Chris Avellone, which sticks out like a sore thumb).

Uhhh, unpopular opinion, Neverwinter Nights 1/2 are actually quite good, and have a pretty unfair rep. Both have cool and imaginative end bosses too, which is a rarity. Yeah neither are especially intricate or interesting narratively overall either, but both are competently executed and generally fun and not a slog. Mask of the Betrayer is also an A+ expansion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jeza posted:

Got bored of BG1, love BG2, playing original FO and it's 'OK' but possibly gonna give up and try 2 (time limits are anti-fun). I found PoE to be a complete snoozefest, mostly because the narrative and characters are incompetently written (except anything written by Chris Avellone, which sticks out like a sore thumb).

Uhhh, unpopular opinion, Neverwinter Nights 1/2 are actually quite good, and have a pretty unfair rep. Both have cool and imaginative end bosses too, which is a rarity. Yeah neither are especially intricate or interesting narratively overall either, but both are competently executed and generally fun and not a slog. Mask of the Betrayer is also an A+ expansion.

NWN was great for the toolset

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Jeza posted:

unpopular opinion: neverwinter nights 1 is a tedious, unfunny screensaver of a game. NWN2 is ok but after beating it once i have no desire to ever play it again.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
unpopular opinion: none of these new, so called throwback to the 90s crpg's really capture the feel of the old classics, apart from the roguelike caves of qud

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Dyna Soar posted:

unpopular opinion: neverwinter nights 1 is a tedious, unfunny screensaver of a game. NWN2 is ok but after beating it once i have no desire to ever play it again.

If you didn't play MotB, you should. It's very much a tier above the base game. A lot of critical reception called it the best RPG since BG2 and Planescape Torment, and tbh that's probably right. Certainly far more interesting than nearly every offering since, and I know your thing is about the death of the RPG post those titles.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
God of War is a loving piece of poo poo, I hate so many things about it that it's hard for me to even know where to begin.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My ability to play NWN1 for hours is driven entirely by nostalgia and vainly chasing the high from when I played online for the first time and was encountering every model and tileset for the first time and not the 10,000th time.

These days, Netflix or something is on while I'm doing it because the game takes very little mental effort, like most RPGs. It's 3E so half the game is building your character idea correctly, and the other half is adapting to whatever the particular wanna-be MMO designers did to their server balance.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

old beast lunatic posted:

If you take the time to customize it till it feels right it can do just about anything. Using the gyro (motion controls) to fine tune your aim is great for couch shooters. I even use the gyro as a steering wheel for racing sims in a bean bag chair. The thing is really easy to configure, even for old keyboard only games.

It's awkward at first but if you take the time to get used to it and set up sensitivity and stuff to your liking it's amazing. I can't video games without it anymore.

Do they still feel like cheap garbage

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Caves of qud is baller as hell but judging from the steam reviews that's well known. Unpopular opinion: tight time limits on rpgs will save modern gaming.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

Caves of qud is baller as hell but judging from the steam reviews that's well known.

those who know, know but it's still a niche game in a niche genre. i just wish it had a bit more elaborate graphics, nothing fancy but enough to really put it on the map. as it is most people won't even give it a chance

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

calling pillars of eternity boring just proves you are actually the boring problem

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Do they still feel like cheap garbage

yes. kind of in a charming way though, I like the little 8 bit tones it makes. but it’s very cheap and dinky with that cheap PC gamepad you owned in the early 2000s feel yeah

it is handy for playing mouse heavy games like civ in the couch but that pad is woof. im sure there is some level of tweaking and settings adjustment that would make it feel not like trying to play games on a tiny laptop trackpad but I don’t have the patience to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

crpgs and roguelikes suck rear end. they're so bad I've never even played one, I think