Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Powered Descent posted:

Also, the "that's not real mst3k" stuff reminds me of nothing so much as the slapfight on Usenet over Joel vs. Mike, from the mid-90s. They'll come around. Today there are approximately zero people who are still against Mike. Nothing's changed at all.

Also Comedy Central era vs Sci-fi Channel era. I used to have a friend who was also a big MSTie, and when we were discussing favorite episodes, I mentioned classics like Pumaman, Werewolf, and Space Mutiny. His response was "I don't watch that era because Bobo and Brain Guy are stupid." This was mid to late '00s. Nerd snobs never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just look up some of the reactions to Jodie Whittaker being cast as the new Doctor Who

Or better yet, don't.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Nerds fear change more than anything.

The Mike vs Joel thing always struck me as one of those cute proto-internet culture bits. I always took it as a funny thing to fight over but we all loved the show right? I thought that till I got to college and met a girl who refused to acknowledge that Mike existed and would complain loudly if one of his episodes or the movie got put on in the Dorm Common Room.

She was weird though and wanted people to call her by pokemon-persona so no one cared.

Anyone who thinks the new season isn't real MST3K is missing out on Cry Wilderness, Carnival Magic, and Starcrash which are all fantastic riffs for any era of the show. Great bits in Hollow Mountain and the Wizards movies as well. Talk about missing out.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Crazy Ferret posted:

Nerds fear change more than anything.

The latest version is a jolt because in the original runs, the changes took place gradually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

The latest version is a jolt because in the original runs, the changes took place gradually.

I mean, you don't get much more gradual change than nearly two decades off the air

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

I mean, you don't get much more gradual change than nearly two decades off the air

If youre streaming them in order you go from replacing one cast member at a time/introducing them one at a time and a linear improvement in production values to a jump to all new people in every single role and a new look for the ship. Its a ship of theseus but instead of going plank by plank you just refurbished the whole darn thing.

New season is great, for the record.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The new season has two episodes (Avalanche and Cry Wilderness) I have in my personal top 10, and two more (Starcrash and Carnival Magic) just outside. Season 11 blew me away.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My 5 year old daughter prefers Mike to Joel and can sing the season 5/6 "Deep 13" version of the theme verbatim from memory.

I'm a good dad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Christmas episode is also totally amazing and everything about it is top tier.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't even know Joel existed for years because I was too young to have seen the show before the Sci Fi era. Even to this day the list of episodes I've seen skew heavily towards the Mike years.

Brain Guy is good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I started watching Mike and still favour him, but the others are fine too and the dynamic is different every time. I love all of this doofy show and that 'Pompeii' video makes me misty-eyed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I vastly prefer Mike, but I’ve learned to appreciate what Joel brings to the table, and I eventually fell in love with Trace and Frank as The Mads.

And Jonah’s a strong second. My best friend (who is straight-up ride or die for Mike) gets all sorts of bad vibes from him, though, and refuses to watch his episodes. (It doesn’t help that she HATED his performance at the reunion show.)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Mantis42 posted:

I didn't even know Joel existed for years because I was too young to have seen the show before the Sci Fi era. Even to this day the list of episodes I've seen skew heavily towards the Mike years.

Brain Guy is good.

Me too! I even watched old episodes on YouTube in high school and somehow they were all Mike ones. The only Joel episodes I knew were the ones I had on DVD which were Manos and Santa Claus conquers the Martians. Then I started hearing about the show possibly coming back a couple years ago and started looking it up and realized I was totally unaware of like 2/3rd of the show.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it but in high school I would skip or tune out for almost 100% of the host segments because I just wanted to watch the movie and riffs. In my defense I had undiagnosed ADHD at the time.

For what it's worth, I recently showed a guy I had been dating Teenagers from Outer Space followed by Starcrash and he strongly preferred Starcrash and said the new ones seemed better to him partly because the references were more recent. He was vaguely aware of the show before this but had just seen it in passing.

So people who don't have the nostalgia aspect may actually prefer the new episodes. Obviously it's n of 1 so I didn't do a loving research study or anything lol. Also there are better old episodes I probably could have shown. But I found it interesting.

I love all the hosts. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like both of them, but Joel feels more like comfort food to me, while Mike has ever the slightest amount of edge. From a quality of episode standpoint, Mike benefits greatly from the show being a fully formed machine by the point he took over.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is fair but I do think it lands well and gets into its own groove pretty quick. The Monster Rap and everything that is Cry Wilderness basically told me the show was in good hands from the get go. It is a bit jarring I will say that. I just cannot imagine people sitting though some of the episodes we've mentioned and saying that this is not another good, if different iteration of the show.

Mantis42 posted:

This is me. I'd seen one or two Joel episodes before the Sci-Fi Era where I fell in love with the show. It took a while to come around to Joel but I will say the Turkey Day marathons really fixed that. Getting a selection of the best of both eras was great for introducing me to the parts I missed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Yeah, I didn't know Joel existed until I found a copy of Mitchell at my local rental place and was astonished to see some sleepy-eyed guy where Mike should have been, not to mention a completely different pair of mad scientists. The twist at the end wasn't a surprise, though.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I'm just going to come right out and say it.

The new hallway sequence is far superior than the amusingly random junk doors.

I love looking at all the room models. The level of quality is great, while still feeling home made.

Also the background music is so good. I always get the tune to the oh Canada song randomly stuck in my head.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mike + Dr. Forrester and Frank is probably when the show was at it's best in my opinion (not that the other stuff is bad mind you, though the first season and especially the KTMA days are really rough to sit through). Crow has never had a bad voice as far as I'm concerned though if I had to choose a favorite I'd probably go with Trace. Still not a fan of Weinstein's Servo though. Once they brought in Kevin Murphy and Frank the show finally started to find its footing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have no strong feelings about whether Joel or Mike is "better" but I find myself watching Mike episodes more for some reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think it helps that in Canada, it never aired so my only exposures were random and all over the place so i never really got consistent hosts or mads.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mike kind of wins out because by the time he took over they had everything down pat, while the Joel years still had some rough spots.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I like both of them, but Joel feels more like comfort food to me, while Mike has ever the slightest amount of edge.

It's basically the dynamic of Joel being the "sitcom single dad" of the 'bots vs. Mike (and now Jonah, too) just being one of the guys with 'em. Joel's stuff generally tended to be warmer and slightly more good-natured in tone, whereas Mike (who the other MST3K guys have said has a very dark sense of humor) wasn't afraid to be a little more cutting with the riffs and host segments. It's even apparent in the set design and lighting (the brighter "beige" tones of Joel's era vs. the darker blues and purples of Mike's era). Both are still great, just in different ways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One interesting effect that happens from this

When Mike gets angry at a movie, that's nothing special.

When JOEL gets angry at a movie, that sticks out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I can smell (and see!) the weed smoke from the Joel episodes. That makes them better.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Larryb posted:

Mike + Dr. Forrester and Frank is probably when the show was at it's best in my opinion...

I've made this point before in this thread, but this era (especially S6) has in my opinion the best host segments of the entire series.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I agree but it's like picking the best candy, and none of the options are Smarties. Everyone brought great stuff to the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My only real opinion is that Trace and Mary Jo are the weakest mad pairing, but they’re not debilitating to the show. The characters just don’t play off of each other right.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

business hammocks posted:

My only real opinion is that Trace and Mary Jo are the weakest mad pairing, but they’re not debilitating to the show. The characters just don’t play off of each other right.

I can agree with that. Also Pearl didn't become that interesting of a character until the reboot when she got to be more than just Clayton's mother.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mike vs Joel stuff is dumb because Mike was always a major writer for the show so good chance your favorite Joel joke was written by Mike or whatever. Also probably most of the music too?

I like Mike the best but will gladly watch any season. I do hope 12 improves some things, though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I think it helps that in Canada, it never aired so my only exposures were random and all over the place so i never really got consistent hosts or mads.

It actually aired in Canada. I used to watch it all the time, but I'm pretty sure it was harder to find once they went to SciFi and Mike took over. It might have depended on your affiliate or something -- I was in Manitoba so we'd get a lot of Minnesota programming but I can't remember where it was coming from.

I also remember that when MST3K The Movie opened here at a local arthouse theatre the place was packed, so Canadians were definitely watching the show.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I was always a Joel fan growing up because the same ten episodes were on all the time. Not that I don't like Mike, but I didn't watch it on SciFi channel as much; the only reason I remember watching space mutiny on tv is calgon getting "killed" with methane. (And his eyes open...)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Light Gun Man posted:

Mike vs Joel stuff is dumb because Mike was always a major writer for the show so good chance your favorite Joel joke was written by Mike or whatever. Also probably most of the music too?

I like Mike the best but will gladly watch any season. I do hope 12 improves some things, though.

I always get a kick out of seeing Mike play random bit parts during the Joel era. Like when he was Glen from war of the colossal beast or that guy that sang the gamera song in some kinda lounge singer style.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mike was the first one I ever saw, and I'm another person as a little kid that was taken back when I saw joel on the box of mst3k vhs tapes at a store, wondering who was this guy. I liked them all though, everyone did a great job and brought something to it, and this new season has been no different. The only person though I get a twinge of sadness seeing replaced is Kevin.

His voice and delivery, his singing, and just general attitude as Servo was always my favorite thing about the show, and outside of the shakey public access, and 1st season, was there the whole time. I'm fine with the new guy, and the new season was good fun so I'm not complaining, but it just is kinda sad to me deep down not seeing *my* Tom Servo anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah. Nothing against Baron, but Kevin is irreplaceable in a way none of the others was.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I stopped watching the show when it moved to SciFi, and to this day I still prefer the Comedy Central episodes. Bad movies from the 50s and 60s are definitely in my wheelhouse, but those later seasons are far more reliant on contemporary movies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

InfiniteZero posted:

It actually aired in Canada. I used to watch it all the time, but I'm pretty sure it was harder to find once they went to SciFi and Mike took over. It might have depended on your affiliate or something -- I was in Manitoba so we'd get a lot of Minnesota programming but I can't remember where it was coming from.

I also remember that when MST3K The Movie opened here at a local arthouse theatre the place was packed, so Canadians were definitely watching the show.

Weird, it didn't show at all in Nova Scotia or Ontario. Every tape we could get was like gold, so precious and rare. The first episode I ever saw was Godzilla vs Megalon, which a friend had picked up when they were at a convention in the US, and I was hooked.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I kind of grew up with Mike Era MST3K (especially Sci-Fi era) so he'll always be my favorite host if you put me on the spot and make me choose, but all three of them are fantastic.

I'd love (if they could convince Mike to come back) to somehow get all three in the theater for a segment to riff together.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

I stopped watching the show when it moved to SciFi, and to this day I still prefer the Comedy Central episodes. Bad movies from the 50s and 60s are definitely in my wheelhouse, but those later seasons are far more reliant on contemporary movies.

the newer movies make me less sleepy so I tend to like the later seasons better

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

remusclaw posted:

I like both of them, but Joel feels more like comfort food to me, while Mike has ever the slightest amount of edge. From a quality of episode standpoint, Mike benefits greatly from the show being a fully formed machine by the point he took over.

the biggest difference imo between joel vs. mike (and why mike was the host during the golden age of seasons 8-10) is that they were forced to do sci-fi films, which were relatively more contemporary than the often boring old mid 50's teenager films in black and white

not only did mst3k get better over time with experience but many of the films were just themselves painful slogs during the joel years

Dixville posted:

I always get a kick out of seeing Mike play random bit parts during the Joel era. Like when he was Glen from war of the colossal beast or that guy that sang the gamera song in some kinda lounge singer style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR78U6zvGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My cable package as a child had Comedy Central, but not the Syfy channel, so Mitchell was basically the series finale for me. I didn't catch Mike episodes until reruns years later.