Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of catastrophic events lying dormant under the US, the Steamboat geyser in Yellowstone which has been quiet for four years suddenly started erupting again a few weeks ago: https://geysertimes.org/geyser.php?id=163

Steamboat is the world's biggest geyser, shooting up to 10 times as much water as Old Faithful each eruption and reaching heights of over 300 feet. It's also one of the most unpredictable geysers, sometimes going years or even decades without erupting. The first few times it erupted this year it wasn't even observed by anyone, they only found out by checking the local seismic records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

The what? Oh, there's a fault line in the midwest. Huh. Looks real unlikely to cause a secondary disaster due to tsunami tho.

There aren't even any cities in the red zone. If the Big One hits dozens could be killed!

More West Coast, Upper class elitism. " If it isn't California, it doesn't matter."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Charleston, SC also has a fault line that is largely ignored/unknown despite generating a 7.1 quake in 1886.

Long story short, wherever you live in the US, the planet wants you dead

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Let me ask a dumb question. I remember when I would watch Emergency 51 on tv and there was a huge fire somewhere, the fires station would do this long up and down tone that would last longer for how big the fire is. It would be like be-bah-boooooooooooo-be-bahhhhhh- boooooo-be-bah-boooooooo Engine 51 battalion 8 station 16 Structural fire at xxxxxxx.

What do you call that tone? I want to see if there’s some modern tones like that on YouTube.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

The what? Oh, there's a fault line in the midwest. Huh. Looks real unlikely to cause a secondary disaster due to tsunami tho.

There aren't even any cities in the red zone. If the Big One hits dozens could be killed!

Midwestern earthquakes are a bigger deal than west coast earthquakes because the energy will travel farther and people are less prepared. You will probably feel much stronger shaking 100km from a M7 in MO than you will in CA.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

None of the buildings in the area are built to handle earthquakes. California would laugh at a 5.8, but when we had one in Virginia in 2011, it cracked the Washington monument and caused tens of millions of dollars of damage. If we ever get a big one from New Madrid or one of the east coast faults a LOT of people are going die.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah you really shouldn't underestimate lower strength earthquakes when it comes to buildings/infrastructure not made with earthquakes in mind.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah you really shouldn't underestimate lower strength earthquakes when it comes to buildings/infrastructure not made with earthquakes in mind.

That's a nice overpass you got there, be a shame is something happened to it, like, say a 6.5 earthquake!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Log082 posted:

None of the buildings in the area are built to handle earthquakes. California would laugh at a 5.8, but when we had one in Virginia in 2011, it cracked the Washington monument and caused tens of millions of dollars of damage. If we ever get a big one from New Madrid or one of the east coast faults a LOT of people are going die.

Not just buildings but Bridges as well.
Memphis is a major major transportation hub. There won't be any bridges across the mississppi, and hell, may take out a ton of small to medium bridges as well.
Larges sections of the mideast, down into Arkansas and such will probably be completely cut off for a long time.

It would be a massive, long lasting effect on the entire country.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A quake anywhere in the eastern us is going to impact a much much wider area than one of comparable intensity elsewhere because the continent is so solid. The 2011 DC quake had me running outside to evacuate my house, in SC, three states away.

The 1886 Charleston quake cracked building foundations in Cleveland.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 13, 2018

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
When (not if) the New Madrid has the big one, Memphis is going to be gone (except for the Auto Zone building which was built with that in mind). Little Rock, St Louis, Nashville, Huntsville, and much more will have severe damage. The last one made the Mississippi river run backwards for days and rang church bells in Boston.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Posted without comment

(I got a perverse amount of glee a few months from telling somebody at work about Yellowstone for the first time.)

On a more realistic timescale, the northeast can get fairly strong earthquakes; http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/20/new.england.tremors/index.html

Plus a 7.3-7.9 back in the 17th century; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1663_Charlevoix_earthquake

edit: and another one; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1929_Grand_Banks_earthquake

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 13, 2018

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The reported damage radius of two similar-strength earthquakes:

An 8-pointer on the New Madrid today would probably collapse every bridge over the Mississippi. FEMA estimates it would be the costliest natural disaster that could occur in the US, except for maybe the supervolcano exploding.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Posted without comment

(I got a perverse amount of glee a few months from telling somebody at work about Yellowstone for the first time.)

On a more realistic timescale, the northeast can get fairly strong earthquakes; http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/20/new.england.tremors/index.html

Plus a 7.3-7.9 back in the 17th century; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1663_Charlevoix_earthquake

edit: and another one; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1929_Grand_Banks_earthquake

At least a little comment might be nice... like... thickness of... what?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

Posted without comment

So Laredo, Texas is officially the safest place in the country.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Locator posted:

At least a little comment might be nice... like... thickness of... what?

ash deposition

from the fabled supervolcano in the yellowstone caldera going apeshit

that analysis of the earthquake impact being exacerbated by human building standards is neat hadn't really thought about that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LostCosmonaut posted:

Posted without comment

I'll believe it when I see it because it's the most American thing to brag about how the disaster that will destroy the world is American in origin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

The reported damage radius of two similar-strength earthquakes:

An 8-pointer on the New Madrid today would probably collapse every bridge over the Mississippi. FEMA estimates it would be the costliest natural disaster that could occur in the US, except for maybe the supervolcano exploding.

You can have the 2011 quake as a direct comparison.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

BattleMaster posted:

I'll believe it when I see it because it's the most American thing to brag about how the disaster that will destroy the world is American in origin

The Yellowstone Caldera is super weird. It's huge and shallow and leaky.

It could continue to just be leaky for the next couple millennia, no big.

If it DOES decide to go, it will be an Extinction Level Event. But a lot of that is because it's not set up to explode, so the force required to blow it up is stupid.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FCKGW posted:

I like the one dude in east Texas saying he felt the quake.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Zil posted:

Also everyone in Canada is reporting from the blue void. If it's not the US, it doesn't exist to the USGS, evidently.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, it is the USGS, after all.

Anyway:

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p5y87nxmJW1w23bqg.mp4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Driver already lost an eye.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Piggy Smalls posted:

Let me ask a dumb question. I remember when I would watch Emergency 51 on tv and there was a huge fire somewhere, the fires station would do this long up and down tone that would last longer for how big the fire is. It would be like be-bah-boooooooooooo-be-bahhhhhh- boooooo-be-bah-boooooooo Engine 51 battalion 8 station 16 Structural fire at xxxxxxx.

What do you call that tone? I want to see if there’s some modern tones like that on YouTube.
Hey, cool, something I can geek out over for you.

So.....

You’re referencing paging tones. Usually they are sent in a pair of two-tones per station. So the bigger a fire was, the more stations you had to call and the more stations you had to tone out. There were several standards over the years. Many departments still use Motorola Quick Call II tones. The ones used in Emergency! we’re GE.

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...aging-tones.doc

You can do a google search for “Station 51 Emergency Tones” and get a sound bite.

At one point, I downloaded a paging tone generator, and decoded the tones for the station I worked for. With a simple department radio, and a computer that could generate the tones, I was able to set off our pagers. Also, after years of listening to tones and being some-what musically inclined, I could tell what stations were being paged just from the tones before they were announced.

Anyway, hope that helps?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

:thunk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

dexter6 posted:

Hey, cool, something I can geek out over for you.

So.....

You’re referencing paging tones. Usually they are sent in a pair of two-tones per station. So the bigger a fire was, the more stations you had to call and the more stations you had to tone out. There were several standards over the years. Many departments still use Motorola Quick Call II tones. The ones used in Emergency! we’re GE.

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...aging-tones.doc

You can do a google search for “Station 51 Emergency Tones” and get a sound bite.

At one point, I downloaded a paging tone generator, and decoded the tones for the station I worked for. With a simple department radio, and a computer that could generate the tones, I was able to set off our pagers. Also, after years of listening to tones and being some-what musically inclined, I could tell what stations were being paged just from the tones before they were announced.

Anyway, hope that helps?

Thank you!!! I think the “Emergency 51 tones” were badass. Can anyone buy and use a MOTOROLA MINITOR TONE Pager and use it to listen to my city fire department tones?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Piggy Smalls posted:

Our local FD had a system, oh probably 20 years ago, that basically did the same thing. I was told that the tones were related to DTMF tones of the phone system, and each set would activate the associated units/stations klaxons, and personel's pagers. If you listen when they have a huge rear end fire on Emergency! there's always 3 or 4 different sets of tones for each station that needs to respond. The vocal portion was just added information.

e,f;b dexter6 gave a better explaination

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FCKGW posted:

There's a reason behind this.

For those that don't know, I'm an exploration geologist working for a mining company, so I have a little more insight than most into these things. Clearly I'm not working as a seismologist, but I've done 3rd year geophysics and kinematics subjects.

The reason earthquakes aren't felt at long distances on the West Coast is that the geology of that area can generously be described as a "hot mess". With the Juan de Fuca Plate and the Gorda Plate subducting underneath the North American plate, it is theorised that most of the extent of those two plates is already underneath the NA Plate (the now near-fully subducted Farallon Plate). They're very shallow in angle, which means that they have a major effect on the NA plate for thousands of KM inboard from their subduction point, and are responsible for the basin and range terrane of North America. They're also responsible for the accretion of dozens of island arcs onto the western edge of the fledgling North American continent, which are individual chains of islands similar to the Ryukyu or Aleutian Islands. However many of them there are (lots, no real way to tell, this happened over a period of about 70 million years and ended about 50 million years ago) they basically all got crammed into each other, but as they're just a whole bunch of crap piled up, they don't transmit seismic waves well. Imagine you had a bowl of stew, and you drop a ball bearing into one side - the other side probably isn't going to be disturbed.

The East Coast, on the other hand, is far simpler in terms of geology. You're looking at just a few huge masses of Precambrian and lower Paleozoic basement rock, a mass called a craton, that has remained essentially unchanged for the last ~600 million years. This is old, cold and solid rock (with a few exceptions) and transmit seismic waves far better. Imagine your experiment above, but the stew is frozen - drop a ball bearing, and the whole thing is going to ring like a bell.

Here's a handy image, quite simplified but shows the different areas well.

Accretionary Belt = Hot Mess
Craton = Solid Block

Anyway, to more contemporary matters, the fissure zone in Hawai'i is moving both northeast and southwest. Fissures 16 and 17 are new in the past ~18 hours, and the steaming zone in the southwest is increasing in output. Best case scenario for the steaming zone is interaction between lava heading north and groundwater, and will only express as steam, but generally if there's superheated steam forcing its way out, magma will follow it up because, like everything else in the physical sciences (electricity, water, etc) magma is above all lazy.

(click for big)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

FCKGW posted:

So Laredo, Texas is officially the safest place in the country.

You'd think, but nope. It's infested with graboids. Also Texans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Log082 posted:

but when we had one in Virginia in 2011, it cracked the Washington monument

If you visit the Washington Monument today there's a plaque outside explaining why you aren't allowed to go up it any more, featuring the simply amazing phrase "historic joint filler".

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

If you visit the Washington Monument today there's a plaque outside explaining why you aren't allowed to go up it any more, featuring the simply amazing phrase "historic joint filler".

I thought it was closed from like 2011-2014 from the earthquake, and 2016-now to modernize the elevator?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

Anyway, to more contemporary matters, the fissure zone in Hawai'i is moving both northeast and southwest. Fissures 16 and 17 are new in the past ~18 hours, and the steaming zone in the southwest is increasing in output. Best case scenario for the steaming zone is interaction between lava heading north and groundwater, and will only express as steam, but generally if there's superheated steam forcing its way out, magma will follow it up because, like everything else in the physical sciences (electricity, water, etc) magma is above all lazy.

(click for big)

I got to listen to my father (who unfortunately is at that age where clear signs of dementia are beginning to be observed) explain at length that the reason the lava keeps showing up in different rifts, is because the island (plate) is moving across a hot-spot which doesn't move. Um... I don't think the plates move that fast dad.

I saw that an 18th rift had appeared today, but I can't seem to find it on any official maps, it's just in news reports and on YT videos without maps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

I got to listen to my father (who unfortunately is at that age where clear signs of dementia are beginning to be observed) explain at length that the reason the lava keeps showing up in different rifts, is because the island (plate) is moving across a hot-spot which doesn't move. Um... I don't think the plates move that fast dad.

I saw that an 18th rift had appeared today, but I can't seem to find it on any official maps, it's just in news reports and on YT videos without maps.

There is a kernel of truth to what your father is saying.

That is indeed what is going on in the long term.

“my” = million years ago

But it’s not the reason this little rift is moving metres per day.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Platystemon posted:

“my” = million years ago

I remember my geology teacher telling us "no one really know why it took that sharp turn right there". Was he full of it or is it really just a mystery?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Platystemon posted:

“my” = million years ago

Yup, that's what I learned in geology class. It just takes a hell of a long time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I remember my geology teacher telling us "no one really know why it took that sharp turn right there". Was he full of it or is it really just a mystery?

That's when the spaceship carrying atlantis smashed into the Earth

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Locator posted:

Sorry about your dad my goon :(

It's one of those things where you can see the kernel of truth in the middle of it though, and the Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain is interesting for a host of reasons. There's evidence that indicates that the bend in the middle could either be the result of the hotspot moving, or the direction of the plate movement changing suddenly. And if they happened at around the same time, the cause of them could be something connected or even the same thing.

5,800 kilometers, 82 million years. About 7cm/year, which is actually pretty fast as far as the movement of a tectonic plate is concerned.

Arrhythmia posted:

There's some research into it from 2003 that seems to indicate that it was the hotspot moving, and some more from 2006 indicating that it was "coincident with realignment of Pacific spreading centers and early magmatism in western Pacific arcs", so like everything that happened ~50 million years ago all we have are best guesses and interpretation of very patchy evidence.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 14, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zil posted:

gently caress sake, I hope he had just walked out of a liquor store with a bottle of whiskey, felt the shaking, then did a double take at the bottle before rubbing his eyes and tossing it over his shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Can we not shame cratons based on their appearance in twenty-making GBS threads-eighteen?