Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i just love that the designers claim they are actually helping the homeless

ferroque has issued a correction as of 18:11 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

i would join the dsa if they had a secret initiative to dismantle hostile architecture and make public places more homeless friendly

a less ambitious monkey wrench gang

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
How would you know if they did if it was a secret though?

Maybe you doing it while in the DSA is that secret initiative?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DSA should send out anti-anti-homeless robots that walk up to homeless people and say "hello - let me tell you about Karl Marx and how to find your nearest shelter - please follow me" and physically guide them to a homeless shelter while educating them about how to start an uprising

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

EugeneJ posted:

DSA should send out anti-anti-homeless robots that walk up to homeless people and say "hello - let me tell you about Karl Marx and how to find your nearest shelter - please follow me" and physically guide them to a homeless shelter while educating them about how to start an uprising

Agreed, unfortunately there are no homeless shelters in SF and no plans to build more.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Agreed, unfortunately there are no homeless shelters in SF and no plans to build more.

"let me teach you how to take over this Starbucks and demand better treatment from your government - I have already recruited 40 others just like you to help in this task"

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

How would you know if they did if it was a secret though?

Maybe you doing it while in the DSA is that secret initiative?

poo poo, you’re right. be the change!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

EugeneJ posted:

we’re doing homeless outreach stuff here and boy the shelter situation sucks poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ferroque posted:

i just love that the designers claim they are actually helping the homeless

it's a pretty common thing among anti-homeless NIMBY liberals

they claim that whatever homeless service they oppose (shelters, soup kitchens, whatever) is a lovely half-measure that just encourages homelessness, and that homeless advocates should seek to end homelessness rather than merely helping the homeless to survive their day-to-day life

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

they claim that whatever homeless service they oppose (shelters, soup kitchens, whatever) is a lovely half-measure that just encourages homelessness, and that homeless advocates should seek to end homelessness rather than merely helping the homeless to survive their day-to-day life

"So once you're done dismantling these services, what do you plan to do to solve homelessness?"

*crickets*

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The homeless will all be dead. Therefore, homelessness is gone forever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
is neuroatypical the new n word?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm extremely pro getting rid of soup kitchens and shelters.

By eating the rich to solve hunger and adding housing subsidies, discounts, and or stipends to a generous welfare state.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Marxalot posted:

I'm extremely pro getting rid of soup kitchens and shelters.

By eating the rich to solve hunger and adding housing subsidies, discounts, and or stipends to a generous welfare state.

I like guaranteed housing op

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
yeah that stuff

but also with like, medicine, food and running water

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
abolish food pantries

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
architects consider homeless people to be basically very large pigeons

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Pigeons should get to stand on things too imo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

The most common term for this building strategy is Hostile Architecture, link is the Wikipedia article

Frankly that bench fails to account for both homeless dwarves and children.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Marxalot posted:

yeah that stuff

but also with like, medicine, food and running water

It's hard to address one without addressing both

Like I know a rich Republican who donates to cancer charities, but only to "quality of life" care to help the patients as they're dying by giving them gifts/social functions to attend/etc.

Dude straight up doesn't believe in science that would cure these kids, so the best he can muster is "welp, let them enjoy the high life for a few weeks".

It's a nice thing, but jesus christ imagine how much money rich people could donate to science and medicine if they didn't handwave it away. They only care about the here and now and have absolutely no care for the future hardships of humanity.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Frankly that bench fails to account for both homeless dwarves and children.

Don’t give them any ideas

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/995724232221962240

wow can't believe bernie endorses tradwifes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cornflakes posted:

Don’t give them any ideas

There must be some perfect gap distance that will let both morbidly obese people sit on the bench, and prevent an 11 year old runaway from sleeping at the same time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/995658930075394049

turn left bernie!!! noooooooooooooooo

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this hostile architecture reminds me of this classic NPR story.

Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

All this hostile architecture reminds me of this classic NPR story.

Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community

lol

quote:

"One woman from the neighborhood actually called police the first time she drove by," says David Boraks, editor of DavidsonNews.net. "She thought it was an actual homeless person."

That's right. Somebody called the cops on Jesus.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

it’s true. not apologizing makes them even cooler

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

He's right tho

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/995744533915865089

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

he's right that the dems are a waste but he's also entirely up his own rear end

I'm conflicted

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

if "small business this" and "small business that" in 2008 and Hillary's "student loan forgiveness for entrepeneurs" talk didn't win this guy over, I don't think anything will, and given that he hasn't actually said what it would take for Dems to have him in his corner, it'd probably be adopting the Republican platform from the year 2000

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

why am I reminded of Michael Shannon’s character from The Shape of Water when I read this dude’s poo poo

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
All small business owners want the same thing: elimination of minimum wage laws and the community dicksucking reserved for first responders and Our Troops.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

when libs complain about non-Hillary voters electing Trump this is *never* the kind of person they are talking about

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm going to use the phrase "the smallest 99.7% of businesses" instead of "small business" for as long as I live

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

galenanorth posted:

if "small business this" and "small business that" in 2008 and Hillary's "student loan forgiveness for entrepeneurs" talk didn't win this guy over, I don't think anything will, and given that he hasn't actually said what it would take for Dems to have him in his corner, it'd probably be adopting the Republican platform from the year 2000

give it a couple of years, I’m sure the dems will comply.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
that guy will never vote well regardless. why would anyone cater to him, instead of the millions whom are disenfranchised or otherwise unable to vote

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

sen mccaine should apologize for his life, and his retarded children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

if he makes it to the general, his supporters will insist that regardless of his own personal conduct and views, he is the only one who will allow the Dems to pass pay fairness laws and stuff and is therefore the pro-women candidate by virtue of there being no better option

for the primaries, they'll probably talk generically about his "history of civil rights advocacy" while avoiding specifics as much as possible, insist that all complaints about his past behavior towards women were made up by Republicans or Russians to discredit him, and talk about how only he has the experience and connections needed to bring responsible bipartisanship back to government

look at all these russian sleeper agents:

also lol @ this one, which I hadn't seen it till now:

• Locked thread