Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wasn’t Rikku 15 when her cousin tried to gently caress her

Must've missed that scene between Yuna and Rikku in FFX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Am I misremembering and Brother loved Yuna who wasn’t 15 and also Rikku was his sister? Oops

yes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Leal posted:

Must've missed that scene between Yuna and Rikku in FFX

Yeah it was in the sequel

https://youtu.be/nLlvM6OziYI

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Brother is the blitzball mvp and I felt so betrayed when I found that out :cripes:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I mean Tom Brady makes out with his son so having one of the best Blitzball players want to bang his cousin isn't that unrealistic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

I mean Tom Brady makes out with his son so having one of the best Blitzball players want to bang his cousin isn't that unrealistic.

Football is a game about being gay with your dad. Blitzball was honorable.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Brother is a creep but to be completely fair to him he doesn't start hitting on Yuna until X-2 which is like 2 years after X. She's 17 in the first game and 19 in the second. Brother hasn't ever been given an official age.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think if your parents named you Brother, you're gonna end up kind of hosed up anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Brother is a creep but to be completely fair to him he doesn't start hitting on Yuna until X-2 which is like 2 years after X. She's 17 in the first game and 19 in the second. Brother hasn't ever been given an official age.

I think the fact that he's hitting on his cousin still makes him a creep

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

«Here’s my lovely daughter Rikku, uh, and her... Brother.»
Cid plays favorites.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume chatterbox Rikku just kept calling him Brother all the time so it stuck as a nickname.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Momomo posted:

I think the fact that he's hitting on his cousin still makes him a creep

Oh right I forgot about that detail.

At least in-universe everyone gives him poo poo and calls him out for this and he's treated like a butt monkey.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

Though it is a high mark for the Final Fantasy series that with fifteen main games and a bunch of side ones there's only one arguable pedophile in the entire cast.
Quistis handles having authority over and the hots for Squall very poorly but also it's only vaguely alluded to for like the first two hours of the game and he's a grown-rear end teenage man so it's not as bad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bruceski posted:

I assume chatterbox Rikku just kept calling him Brother all the time so it stuck as a nickname.

Yeah, he doesn't speak English in the first game so people just call him by the name she uses.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well it's just Aniki in Japan, which could have been localized to a bunch of different names (Bro, Boss, etc.), they just went with the most literal one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Quistis handles having authority over and the hots for Squall very poorly but also it's only vaguely alluded to for like the first two hours of the game and he's a grown-rear end teenage man so it's not as bad.

She only ever comes on to him after she's already been fired from her job and they are about the same age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're forgetting Rikku and Brother are Al Bhed so clearly their real names are Neggi and Pnudran.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Aw man, this is great and I’m sad I missed it initially.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I hate that Edgar and Edward are both characters in these games because my stupid brain always confuses one for the other because the names are so similar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I hate that Edgar and Edward are both characters in these games because my stupid brain always confuses one for the other because the names are so similar.

To be fair Edward was "Gilbert" in the Japanese version!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now I can only picture Gilbert Gottfried as a Final Fantasy party member.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Raxivace posted:

The planet's dyin Cloud!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Edge's real name is Edward Geraldine.

The person who renamed Gilbert to Edward also named Ricard "Edward" in the FF2 Prototype, so she must have a thing for the name.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Gaubert Gottfried

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh right I forgot about that detail.

At least in-universe everyone gives him poo poo and calls him out for this and he's treated like a butt monkey.

Actually I don't think they give him poo poo for hitting on his cousin; just for being a general spaz.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Maybe not directly but it's made clear that nobody really cares for it. At the start of the game Brother injures himself jumping onto the ruins because he heard Yuna wss in trouble. When they come back on board he tries to use the opportunity to mess with Yuna and immediately gets flattened on the floor. Yuna being nice asks if he's okay but Rikku just treks her to leave him on the floor injured and ignore him. I think she calls him a pervert too.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah brother is a weirdo perv but he gets stomped for it literally.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itYR_y6QrU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Yeah brother is a weirdo perv but he gets stomped for it literally.

He probably likes it though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

It's true.

Happy Mother's Day thread.

Call and/or hug your mom.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Random encounter on my way out of a dungeon after beating a boss, 4 cockatrices. Enemy gets first strike, petrified my black mage (the only party member with aoe). Try to flee, warrior gets petrified, fail to flee. Try again, my thief and white mage get petrified, game over

FF1.txt

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The most surprising thing in BOO I is that Quistis is only 18

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

certainly a better track record than star ocean, where a busty three-eyed alien chick in her 30s can ditch her boyfriend to pair up with a twelve year old boy

I thought those two were officially 23 and 19 respectively?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought those two were officially 23 and 19 respectively?

oh i guess she is 23 but leon is definitely 12. i remember because i was so excited, at the age of twelve, that my favorite character was the same age as me

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The only things I know about Star Ocean are

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Instant Grat posted:

The only things I know about Star Ocean are

That's SO3, and the big plot twist is that the entire universe is an MMORPG that gets restored from backup by the Linegod after the admins try to deathtouch every NPC in the game . If you've been watching the reboot of Westworld, it's basically that.

SO4 somehow manages to be worse, kay. Especially the part where the main character gets mindfucked after his naivety gets an alternate version of Earth blown up, followed by hours of cutscenes where he more or less self-destructs to the point of almost losing everything he ever cared for, including his spaceship command and his love interest... after which you can have him sleep with a 16 year old catgirl from that alternate universe he got blown up. If you think Tama is the annoying with the verbal tic in World of Final Fantasy, enjoy those Lymle cutscenes, 'kay. One of your best party members is a 7 year old with magic, 'kay. And she talks like this, 'kay. Please, developers, stop making NPCs that sound like this, 'kay.

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 14, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Varance posted:

SO4 somehow manages to be worse, kay. Especially the part where the main character gets mindfucked after his naivety gets an alternate version of Earth blown up, followed by hours of cutscenes where he more or less self-destructs to the point of almost losing everything he ever cared for, including his spaceship command and his love interest... after which you can have him sleep with a 16 year old catgirl from that alternate universe he got blown up. If you think Tama is the annoying with the verbal tic in World of Final Fantasy, enjoy those Lymle cutscenes, 'kay. One of your best party members is a 7 year old with magic, 'kay. And she talks like this, 'kay. Please, developers, stop making NPCs that sound like this, 'kay.

You accidentally managed to make SO4 seem really interesting. It’s not.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I cheered when Faize took himself out of the main cast. "You're free! You don't have to be in this lovely game anymore!" I quit playing shortly thereafter.

Never play SO4, it has no redeeming qualities. Sorry super-sassy Welch.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Eight-Six posted:

I cheered when Faize took himself out of the main cast. "You're free! You don't have to be in this lovely game anymore!" I quit playing shortly thereafter.

Never play SO4, it has no redeeming qualities. Sorry super-sassy Welch.

BTW, if you ever play any of the newer games or remakes, keep in the back of your mind that Welch is one of the MMORPG "players."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never played the Star Ocean games much. I only remember renting 2 and remembering that, uh... "voice acting."