Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Open Marriage Night posted:

My pizza overcame great fear, and was really good.

Shame about your fridge, though.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Facebook just reminded me that today is the anniversary of me almost backing over Hilary Barta. So that's fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

Shame about your fridge, though.

:drat:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't someone here's brother or somethin' direct Patti Cake$?
I just saw and liked it! Congrats to comic goon's bro.

Glad you dug it!

Everyone else, go watch Patti Cake$.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

It was Apple and the truth is more complex. App development targets the newest hardware and over time, as your phone gets further and further away from that level of processor speed, it draws more and more power to keep up -- using silly, simplified numbers to explain that, if an app needs 40 calculations done every second, your phone can do 50 calculations per second, and the newest phone can do 100, your phone is drawing twice the power to do the same task. In an effort to conserve battery life, Apple put in a thing that'd notice phones doing that past a certain threshold and go "look just limit yourself to a certain power drain level and slow the program down if you need to". It got bad press because they did it in secret and intentionally slowing performance down is never a good look.

This isn't it at all. The issue had to due with Apple making a whole series of gently caress ups.

So the problem really started with Apple loving up their selection for batteries in the iPhone. They basically used batteries that were right at the borderline of what their processor needed. But lithium ion batteries don't last forever and with daily charging and discharging, within a year or so the voltage output from the battery is noticeably degrading. Now this normally wouldn't be a problem because you'd account for it when you design your product, but Apple didn't, and when a particularly processor intensive task occurred, the processor drew more voltage than some of the batteries could put out causing it to go into a brown out state and reset.

Now the responsible thing to do would be to address the problem as a hardware failure. What Apple did was they just turned down the clock speed on the CPU. This wasn't because "old CPUs need twice as much power to do the same thing", it's because switching transistors on and off consumes power and doing it more often require giving that power faster. The amount of power being consumed remained exactly the same, but what had to be sent to the processor at any given moment decreased.

They got away with this for about a month with people just going, "My phone is running slower than normal," and other people going, "It's just your imagination," before someone benchmarked a whole bunch of phones and found some really suspicious clustering of scores. Which led to details of Apple's "solution" coming out.

It's not about conserving battery life and it's not about the calculations being done per second, at least in the sense that you stated. It's about Apple not planning the lifecycle of their hardware more than six months out and how they mismanaged their batteries.

I wrote a relatively long research paper on this so I've gotten a pretty good handle on things.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So the Stan Lee Twitter account went out of its way to claim that Stan Lee is now using it himself, and that he also doesn't have control of his Facebook (fan page) account.

https://twitter.com/TheRealStanLee/status/995499582921498624

Kind of weird. I mean, we all kind of assume famous people don't usually use their social media, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless a celeb is actively posting video or doing live events it's likely their assistant is doing the posting for them. Stephen Amell is one of the few celebs that handles all his own social media and I actually believe it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Unless a celeb is actively posting video or doing live events it's likely their assistant is doing the posting for them. Stephen Amell is one of the few celebs that handles all his own social media and I actually believe it.
Stephen King spends way too much time posting pictures of his pet corgi for it to be anyone else.

The Stan Lee poo poo just keeps getting weirder and weirder, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clearly the dog is running King's social media.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Every time that dog Tweets a picture of itself, it becomes closer and closer to entering our reality.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Or is the corgi driving the car?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gavok posted:

Every time that dog Tweets a picture of itself, it becomes closer and closer to entering our reality.

I want you to know, I understood and appreciated this reference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/995442383461339136

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/994384037186715648

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

Thank you for this.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I have a weird question. I've seen some odd third-hand tweets about something, and Google hasn't helped me get to the bottom of it. Is there a reason that a group of people are mad at Mark Waid (i.e. calling him an SJW and stuff)?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ZDar Fan posted:

I have a weird question. I've seen some odd third-hand tweets about something, and Google hasn't helped me get to the bottom of it. Is there a reason that a group of people are mad at Mark Waid (i.e. calling him an SJW and stuff)?

Check out the Darkside of the Industry thread for more details, but long story short, Waid criticised a terrible, racist person for being terrible and racist. Waid started getting a lot of abuse and went offline, which he's done in the past.

Oh yeah, and the terrible racist person was doxxing female comic book store workers, which has lead to massive harassment against women.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 13, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Mark Waid is destroying the industry all by himself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Also Mark Waid is destroying the industry all by himself.

That's just what Disney wants you to think, it's actually a concerted effort to censor free speech by Mousewitz.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is Waid's Archie any good? I grabbed the first trade from Half Price Books based on it having Fiona Staples art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Waid's Archie any good? I grabbed the first trade from Half Price Books based on it having Fiona Staples art.

Yes. Very much so.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yes. It's really fun and explores the characters in a great way.
It's probably my second favorite ongoing series which isn't by Marvel.
But to be fair, it's not exactly close to number one, since Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky win that category by a landslide.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 13, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Have you considered reading the thing you purchased and forming your own opinion?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still can't understand how his Archie is so good and yet his Champions was among the worst books Marvel launched out of SW.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered reading the thing you purchased and forming your own opinion?

Maybe it's not about the money investment, but rather the time. And for some reason asking us is faster than reading it.

Rhyno posted:

I still can't understand how his Archie is so good and yet his Champions was among the worst books Marvel launched out of SW.

It might be the different levels of levity. The Archie books might be dramatic at some points, but at the end of the day, it's all just personal stakes which can still feel fun.
Champions was just depressing and to broody.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 13, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rhyno posted:

Probably a matter of editing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

You think Archie has more editorial control of Mark Waid than Marvel?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No? Like. Have you worked with an editor before because control is not the only dynamic involved there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Eh, Waid is a former editor and tends to be left alone by editorial. He just never found the voices for the individual characters.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Check out the Darkside of the Industry thread for more details, but long story short, Waid criticised a terrible, racist person for being terrible and racist. Waid started getting a lot of abuse and went offline, which he's done in the past.

Oh yeah, and the terrible racist person was doxxing female comic book store workers, which has lead to massive harassment against women.

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be stupid, but I didn't realize it would be that stupid.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Endless Mike posted:

Of course, but I buy a dozen trades at a time, often before I've finished reading the last dozen I bought because I'm a consumerist whore and find it difficult to pass up discount books that I might like. Asking the thread is to figure out if I should make it one of those I get to before the next influx of books buries it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think The Champions floundered for a number of reasons and a few of them were explicitly about not playing to Mark Waid's strenghs.

I think Waid has always been better at synthesizing disparate versions of a longstanding character into a cohesive whole than creating and defining new characters. I think I've compared him to Mark Gruenwald before, but I stick by it-- the older and weirder a character, he better he does with them. His real gift is taking someone with a whole host of baggage and weirdness and make what appears to be a mess into the compelling appearance of complexity. See his Flash run, where he did more than anyone to make the Flash corner of the DC Universe feel like an interesting, mysterious place. His Daredevil, too, reads like an attempt to make the lighthearted swashbuckler of the 60s gel with the gritty Daredevil of the last few decades, and it sings with the frisson of that challeng.That's what made his Archie such a treat-- nothing could be more Waid than taking four broadly sketched characters with decades of clutter behind them and making them speak relevently to a contemporay audience. He's a refurbisher, and a really great one.

With The Champions, he was writing characters who had, up to that point, been the babies, for better or worse, of single writers with strong stylistic thumbprints. Kamala Khan is G. Willow Wilson's baby. Miles Morales is Brian Michael Bendis' baby. Amadeus Cho is Grek Pak's baby, Sam Alexander was pretty much a cipher until Gerry Duggan came along, Viv Vision worked in Tom King's Vision but was kind of broadly defined, and young Cyclops is just kind of nothing. There's no synthesizing and reconciling to be done so Waid is put in the position of just trying to respectfully follow in the footsep's of those writers. It comes off as politely not wanting to step on those writers' toes, and on paper it reads like spinning wheels and going very, very cautiously. This is not what makes thrilling superhero comics.

Waid is also a great collaborator, who plays to the strengths of his partners and, in the best situations, has those artists tease notes of wit and subtlety out of what tends to be a pretty blunt scripting style. This is, again, on full display in Archie and Daredevil. This can even be true of his work with Humberto Ramos! Impulse, a young, brash, immature hero, is not really Waid's signature, but Ramos' kinetic and cartoony pencils made it a great comic. Champions is scripted and plotted so limply though that Ramos comes off as struggling to find the right tone. His exaggerated, rubbery style is just not the right fit for a comic which tends to be as deliberate and talky as Champions, and so you have scenes that call for a lot of nuanced acting dominated by crazy poses and hollaring faces.

I think Waid and Ramos are both super talented creators, and I think a lot of the characters in Champions are very rich. But the brief for it was so limp and tired-- young heroes teaming up! proactively!-- that it tarnished everybody involved. The series was also so hamstrung by crossovers and compulsory continuity checks that it felt like the team never did anything but squabble and twiddle their thumbs. The villains were lackluster, as again, I don't think Waid is particularly strong, overall, at coming up with new characters-- that team of goofballs they kept fighting were so, so forgettable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think it had more to do with waid being clueless at best at times with stuff like viv asking about microagressions and at worst having really horrible poo poo like kamala saying you can't punch the Nazi after he burns down a mosque because that makes you just like the Nazi and having Amadeus say as an Asian American I know about internment camps but maybe we need to let these people stay locked up in one after inhumans tell the champions THEY WANT TO STAY FORCIBLY LOCKED UP IN A HYDRA INTERNMENT CAMP

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/FluffSociety/status/995317722799108097

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

I think it had more to do with waid being clueless at best at times with stuff like viv asking about microagressions and at worst having really horrible poo poo like kamala saying you can't punch the Nazi after he burns down a mosque because that makes you just like the Nazi and having Amadeus say as an Asian American I know about internment camps but maybe we need to let these people stay locked up in one after inhumans tell the champions THEY WANT TO STAY FORCIBLY LOCKED UP IN A HYDRA INTERNMENT CAMP

Yeah, those were pretty bad. Like, really loving bad. Sometimes, I think we forgot what fascism is. Like, I'd say it's a change in education, but I tend to notice it more in older people. It's like "am I the only one who had to see pictures of dead people in history class when discussing the holocaust? Like, camps are loving terrible. And did they not show you the camps in America too? Because we saw those and, outside a couple apologetic, a lot of teachers were open on how horrible they were." Like, that "I'm an Asian american -- ignore that my words are being written by a white cishet man -- but maybe we should leaves these Muslims in a Nazi camp for their own good." Like, Waid is not a Nazi. Let me be clear. Waid is not a bigot. Waid has actually done some good and actually stood up for people when it matters But Waid's writting on Champions comes off like it's written by that that kind of guy who wants to do good and be progressive, but the point flies right over his head. He's not bad and his comics are actually really good for the most part, but Champions, especially the Secret Empire stuff, was a head scratcher.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Samuel J Jackson is a comic fan, but, did you know?...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I got a lot of emptyquotes from posting it in PHIZ a year ago :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVQtlQtxCs&t=155s

Edit: Speaking of him and Anime/Manga, anyone see that apparently terrible Kite adaptation he was in?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I got a lot of emptyquotes from posting it in PHIZ a year ago :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVQtlQtxCs&t=155s

Edit: Speaking of him and Anime/Manga, anyone see that apparently terrible Kite adaptation he was in?

What's kite? Only anime I've ever seen him in is Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai Resurrection.

We were all 13 once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

no. Literally no one saw it

• Locked thread