Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't believe they stole Bluebonic from me.

My group's were, respectively, Simpson's Jaundice, Gingervitis, and Eiffel 65 Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

electing to name your black disease after a black activist movement should maybe raise a few flags

or maybe im reading too far into this

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hauki posted:

electing to name your black disease after a black activist movement should maybe raise a few flags

Yeah hmm I'm at a loss to think of a disease or plague that would work with black hmmmm

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I reckon playing the game with CodA being the black disease is a harsh yet fair punishment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hauki posted:

no that's the point, she's bragging about being a racist piece of poo poo on social media

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bottom Liner posted:

no that's the point, she's bragging about being a racist piece of poo poo on social media

Also bragging about a lack of basic reading comprehension. You don't get to name diseases you've not eradicated.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Our black one we called Xeno-eggs which felt right ... a bad case of xeno eggs would ruin anyone’s day (and shortly everyone else’s, which was a nice fit).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, after a year or so of basically playing zero games, I decided to pick up Roll for the Galaxy and Castles of Burgundy. I've played Race and enjoyed it, but really found it pretty difficult to learn and my wife is even less predisposed too that than I am; but hopefully Roll will scratch the itch without wholesale outbreaks of boredom.

Castles of Burgundy I keep seeing recommended over and over again and I just decided to buy it for the sake of it. I think both of these will provide a good springboard for others (Terra Mystica or Gaia Planet; Kemet, etc.) should they prove enjoyable.

I think it makes sense to start off with Castles first, though...

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

canyoneer posted:

Yeah hmm I'm at a loss to think of a disease or plague that would work with black hmmmm

we had kohlera, alongside inbluenza and dysencherry.

also jfc some people.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

i named the blue one anime because it spreads rapidly in the west

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flipswitch posted:

i named the blue one anime because it spreads rapidly in the west

And needs to be eradicated.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm relatively new to this and I'm looking for recomendations. Since we want to start a board game group, we've bought a few games over the last months. Some of our favourites are Carcassone, Love Letter, Alhambra, Jaipur, Cartagena, Elder Sign, and I also have a spot for simpler games like Labyrinth and Scotland Yard. On most nights there's only three of us, but on weekends there's usually around 10.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Spermando posted:

I'm relatively new to this and I'm looking for recomendations. Since we want to start a board game group, we've bought a few games over the last months. Some of our favourites are Carcassone, Love Letter, Alhambra, Jaipur, Cartagena, Elder Sign, and I also have a spot for simpler games like Labyrinth and Scotland Yard. On most nights there's only three of us, but on weekends there's usually around 10.

Barenpark is a great light game along the lines of what you've already got.

If you want to start going deeper, I'd suggest a good worker placement game like Raiders of the North Sea, Viticulture or Godfather: Corleone's Empire (if you want something more thematic).

Castles of Burgundy is a good step up. If you want some more thematic/aggressive games, Inis or Cyclades are good area control games with euro sensibilities.

7 Wonders is a must for any burgeoning gaming group. As is Dominion.

Resistance Avalon will be a good pivot into social deduction if you start seeing numbers north of 5.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah it's fine - less chance of the pieces warping, cheaper, but it's not as cool and the VP tokens are a lot smaller and therefore worse.

Warped pieces are a feature, not a bug. It's the same reason Jenga has manufactured imperfections; dealing with them is part of the theatre.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Thank you for those suggestions. I've been seeing Avalon everywhere but the box wasn't very descriptive.
Another game that I really love as an English teacher is Codenames, and I've seen someone recommend Decrypto a few pages back. Any other language games that can be adapted to an ESL class?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Our diseases were:

Blue: Poutine Fever
Black: Triangle Syndrome
Red: White-Green Mold

Oh the hilarity that was two of our players arguing about White-Green Mold. I game with role-players; argument was entirely in-character.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Spermando posted:

Any other language games that can be adapted to an ESL class?

Guess Who?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK Roll for the Galaxy has arrived, I would appreciate any advice for making the first game/s as painless as possible - any tips?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Black was Man Flu
Blue was HeB-GeeBs
Yellow was Meltingitis

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I forget which was which, but we had megasyphilis, Diet AIDS, and Cancer 2

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
The 2 diseases that stood out on ours was yellow which was apathy and blue which was genital leperocy. Yellow was my favorite because we got so close to curing/eradicating it so many times but just couldn't be bothered.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
My favorite of our diseases is Spiders! (Exclamation point included.)

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

We've only managed to name one disease so far

It's the dreaded "a bit of a cough"

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I accidentally ordered two copies of the space empires 4x replicators expansion. Would it make sense to keep my spare and flip it?
I have no idea about GMT games and expansion availability. SE4X is my first :shobon:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Media Bloodbath posted:

I accidentally ordered two copies of the space empires 4x replicators expansion. Would it make sense to keep my spare and flip it?
I have no idea about GMT games and expansion availability. SE4X is my first :shobon:

GMT will take a long time between printing expansions. However, Close Encounters was available in stores for a very long time after printing, it's only this year or so that it's been effectively OOP. I'd just get rid of it locally (or return it if that's feasible).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So my group played another couple of three player games of Cthulhu Wars yesterday, Cthulhu/Black Goat/CC and GC/CC/YS; both games Cthulhu ran away with the game and both games CC had a lot of trouble keeping up and couldn't get the final spellbook at all.

Are we doing something wrong? We've played five games and so far, Cthulhu's won 3 of them, BG and YS have a win a piece, but CC has really never been in the running.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

So my group played another couple of three player games of Cthulhu Wars yesterday, Cthulhu/Black Goat/CC and GC/CC/YS; both games Cthulhu ran away with the game and both games CC had a lot of trouble keeping up and couldn't get the final spellbook at all.

Are we doing something wrong? We've played five games and so far, Cthulhu's won 3 of them, BG and YS have a win a piece, but CC has really never been in the running.

Yeah, you're doing something wrong. What you're doing wrong I can't say without knowing which spellbook CC didn't get. CC is hampered a little in a 3 player with Cthulhu, though, as he wants to get Elder Signs from killing GOOs but he doesn't want to kill Cthulhu if he can avoid it.

I think you're just having your Khorne moment with the game where everyone wants to fight and ignores the other routes to victory. When everyone is dickpunching everyone else Cthulhu is advantaged because he loves to fight. Compare this with the game I played yesterday: Goat, Opener, Windwalker, Tcho-Tchos and Yellow Sign, and there was no combat at all until turn 4. Opener got five gates and was running away on Doom points, but because nobody would fight him he couldn't get his sixth spellbook for losing a unit. I was the Tcho-Tchos and managed to sneak the win by suiciding Ubbo-Sathla into Hastur to get the book for a GOO dying in battle then flipping a ton of Signs I'd got from High Priest sacrifices in the Ritual.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you're doing something wrong. What you're doing wrong I can't say without knowing which spellbook CC didn't get. CC is hampered a little in a 3 player with Cthulhu, though, as he wants to get Elder Signs from killing GOOs but he doesn't want to kill Cthulhu if he can avoid it.

Very first game, CC never awakened Narly and skipped Thousand Forms, the other games, CC awakened Narly early and grabbed Thousand Forms. The one we skipped was Pay 6 Power.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Very first game, CC never awakened Narly and skipped Thousand Forms, the other games, CC awakened Narly early and grabbed Thousand Forms. The one we skipped was Pay 6 Power.

I didn't mean the condition, I meant the spellbook gained. Pay 6 Power should be fairly easy in 3P if you use Thousand Forms correctly (i.e. on a turn when people burn PPs early on a GOO).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

deadwing posted:

A side note on this - for the Mosque tiles, you only need to spend one good, and have the other goods. So, for a two player game, the person who gets the first tile needs to have two red goods and spend one, and the person who gets the second tile needs to have four red goods and spend one. I missed this rule for at least ten plays, and it sounds like you might also be missing it.

Are you loving serious? Goddammit.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Southern Heel posted:

OK Roll for the Galaxy has arrived, I would appreciate any advice for making the first game/s as painless as possible - any tips?

Make sure you have the rules for shipping down pat. The color-matching is the hardest thing for me to get people to understand.

Don't be afraid to Abandon tiles that you don't want to build, or that have a better one under them in the stack. In my experience, you should have at most three or four in each stack at any given time.

Taking a Stock action on an Explore die is way better than only having one die in the cup next round.

Development powers that have an income connected to a phase(e.g. "Develop:Gain $2") happen whenever the phase happens. whether or not it's you, whether or not you participate in the phase.

Really know what you want to do this turn. Don't count on anyone else to activate a phase you need.

When playing two player, keep in mind that the die you roll for the extra phase has two explores, and one of each other phase.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Southern Heel posted:

Also check if anyone in your group is colour blind. We were 3/4ths of the way into our first game before one of the guys wanted to ship a purple good with a blue die - he announced it saying that the dice were the same colour so he gets full VP. I of course corrected him, saying he still got full points but it was a purple die.

It took us 2 minutes of arguing before I asked him what colour he thought the die was:

Him: "It's blue?"
Me: "No, it's purple - oh right, you're colour blind aren't you?"
3rd Person: "Hang on, there are purple dice?"

:negative:

I now always begin this game with new people by asking whether or not they are colour blind.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, it is *definitely* not color-blind friendly (and even *with* color vision, they are not always super distinct).

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I don't recall was name went with what color, but he named our diseases in Pandemic The Jake Leg, Restless Balls Syndrome, and Too Much Diarrhea.

Our Havens in Pandemic Season 2 were all based around fecal-related wordplay. My wife and I are basically children, it seems.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We gave everything in Season 1 Sunny in Philadelphia references, and for Season 2 used Parks and Rec.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

million dollar mack posted:

Also check if anyone in your group is colour blind. We were 3/4ths of the way into our first game before one of the guys wanted to ship a purple good with a blue die - he announced it saying that the dice were the same colour so he gets full VP. I of course corrected him, saying he still got full points but it was a purple die.

It took us 2 minutes of arguing before I asked him what colour he thought the die was:

Him: "It's blue?"
Me: "No, it's purple - oh right, you're colour blind aren't you?"
3rd Person: "Hang on, there are purple dice?"

:negative:

I now always begin this game with new people by asking whether or not they are colour blind.

I haven't played this game, but couldn't you replace or mark the dice?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Huxley posted:

We gave everything in Season 1 Sunny in Philadelphia references, and for Season 2 used Parks and Rec.

Need to research synthetic crow's eggs to be able to produce the Fight Milk vaccine in high enough quantities

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

a7m2 posted:

the dice look like this, so you can't really replace them. I guess marking them would be possible if kind of a pain.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

a7m2 posted:

The dice have different occurrences of each icon depending on their colour so you can work it out by counting the faces (or recognising that certain icons dont appear on certain dice). I think one of them could *just* tell the difference between the two after we pointed it out. It also applies for the tiles but I think they were separate enough (or one time) that they'd just ask if they weren't sure.

The irony of all this is that the game designer considered colour blindness might be a factor and was kind enough to cater for colour blind people... by giving green planets a dot near the number to tell them apart from other ones. :bravo:

It's still a fun game, it might just be a little awkward if you're one of the ~7% of people reading this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

The best solution is to play the normal Race for the Galaxy card game, which has more distinct colours and doesn't pointlessly add a bunch of dice to the game.