Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/politico/status/994598378829942784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

hillary's coziness with Israel always throws me off a little because Bill loving hates Netanyahu, has publicly called him out a number of times as the primary obstacle to peace, and has been caught in a hot mic saying that the only way Likud can make peace in the Middle East is if we force them to

it's not unusual, every Dem president starts their term optimistic about I/P peace and ends it furious at Israeli right-wingers. but you'd think Hillary would learn from Bill's eight years of experience rather than starting the cycle fresh

Wait what

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just like she used his experience campaigning you mean

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait what

remember that the Oslo Accords and Rabin's assassination both happened on Bill Clinton's watch, he loving hates the Israeli right

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

he really does look younger. i guess the blood of a virgin really does work.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thanks obama for looking forward and not locking up these war criminals out of the public discourse

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

thanks obama for looking forward and not locking up these war criminals out of the public discourse

he looked forward and noted he didn't want to be locked up for all the war crimes he was eager to commit, no way he was gonna start that train

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

Cheney will be the first centenarian cabinet member

under president Barron Trump

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the ecuadorian embassy sounds like a good place

for a bum to stay

too bad about the lobster risotto

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

privately Bill and Obama probably loving hate the israeli far right and probably have an opinion closer to a lot of the people itt than they'd ever, ever admit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

privately Bill and Obama probably loving hate the israeli far right and probably have an opinion closer to a lot of the people itt than they'd ever, ever admit

Obama let John Kerry poo poo all over Israel after the peace process failed.
That kinda owned

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Fat lotta good having a private opinion does anyone

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dreddout posted:

Fat lotta good having a private opinion does anyone

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

nah, they're big political donors so Bill and Obama both love them unironically

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

cant speak for bill, but obama and bibi's seething hatred for one another was less open secret and more widely publicized fact

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

quote:

BAGHDAD/ERBIL, Iraq (Reuters) - Moqtada al-Sadr was leading in Iraq’s parliamentary election with over half of the votes counted, the electoral commission said on Sunday, a surprise comeback for the powerful nationalist Shi’ite cleric who had been sidelined by Iran-backed rivals.

Shi’ite militia leader Hadi al-Amiri’s bloc, which is backed by Tehran, was in second place, according to the count of over 95 percent of the votes cast in 10 of Iraq’s 18 provinces.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi appeared to be running third. Security and commission sources had earlier said he was leading the election, which was held on Saturday and is the first since the defeat of Islamic State militants inside the country.

Abadi is expected to do well in Nineveh province and its capital Mosul, which was liberated from ISIS by U.S.-backed Iraqi forces last year. But the remaining votes are unlikely to change the bigger picture of the election results.

Even a second place for Sadr's political bloc would significantly change an incoming Iraqi government. Sadr has no direct political role but after disbanding his own political movement he pledged to reform the government. He threw his weight behind a political alliance of Sadr followers, secular candidates and Communists for this election and instructed followers to vote for qualified candidates and not on the basis of religion.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Moqtada has the wildest political career of this millenium.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
can someone tell me what the united states of america is gonna do if this boy wins?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Minge Binge posted:

can someone tell me what the united states of america is gonna do if this boy wins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhoj_uwIeyM

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

BUSH: moqtada... hit this poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
who is Moqtada Al Sadr? I was a wee lad in the 90s

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

shia cleric, head of the mahdi army and sadrist political org, one of Americas big enemies in the Iraq war who probably killed over 1000 US soldiers but signed a ceasefire in 2008. somewhat anti-iranian despite being shia. weirdly he's reinvented himself as a nonsectarian iraqi nationalist who is allied with the communist party.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

^^^
edit: lol nice

I think he's not super pro-Iran anymore?

hell, probably doesn't make a difference if he's not our boy

Ramrod Hotshot has issued a correction as of 03:59 on May 14, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/abdullahawez/status/995807576351797248

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

shia cleric, head of the mahdi army and sadrist political org, one of Americas big enemies in the Iraq war who probably killed over 1000 US soldiers but signed a ceasefire in 2008. somewhat anti-iranian despite being shia. weirdly he's reinvented himself as a nonsectarian iraqi nationalist who is allied with the communist party.
yeah jaysh al mahdi was one of the bad boy groups of the iraqi insurgency. the communist party alliance is interesting as moqtada was always a big populist type representing the urban shia working classes i think

anyways his music jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCGZQxp1ank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JY96fbdaFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMUrCXJQ28

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
america: let's create a vibrant democracy in the center of the middle east

*sadrists build a popular mass movement*

america: wait no

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/BosniaPM/status/995826091272163328

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

It's frankly incredible that he ever survived the occupation. Muqtada Al-Sadr was American Enemy #1 while the Mahdi army was actively fighting the occupation forces. His militias certainly killed a lot of Sunnis, but Muqtada himself made non-sectarian overtures with Sunnis to unite against America. He was still shrewd enough to negotiate with the Americans while retaining his own fighting forces if America didn't set withdrawals. It's taboo even for clerics to participate in secular politics, and here Muqtada is now in the election allying with the Communist party.

He's the most cunning political figure in the world since the turn of the millenium. Nobody's been able to navigate a more chaotic and dangerous political climate and still come out ahead like he has.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this whips rear end

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's frankly incredible that he ever survived the occupation. Muqtada Al-Sadr was American Enemy #1 while the Mahdi army was actively fighting the occupation forces. His militias certainly killed a lot of Sunnis, but Muqtada himself made non-sectarian overtures with Sunnis to unite against America. He was still shrewd enough to negotiate with the Americans while retaining his own fighting forces if America didn't set withdrawals. It's taboo even for clerics to participate in secular politics, and here Muqtada is now in the election allying with the Communist party.

He's the most cunning political figure in the world since the turn of the millenium. Nobody's been able to navigate a more chaotic and dangerous political climate and still come out ahead like he has.

Also the only person mighty enough to overcome the Assad must go curse.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i remember when i read time magazine in middle school (lol) and they posted a picture of al-sadr in an iraq story with black cleric robes and narrowed eyebrows clearly trying to make him look evil and my only thought was "this guy appears to be rad as poo poo"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

no poo poo, he looks younger than when he was in office

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

looks like he's gonna need four or five parties total

quote:

Reuters calculations based on the document showed Sadr had won the nationwide popular vote with more than 1.3m votes and gained 54 of parliament’s 329 seats. He was followed by Amiri with more than 1.2m votes, translating into 47 seats, and Abadi with more than 1m votes and 42 seats.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/995971703896408064

edit lol

https://twitter.com/aghiad_alkheder/status/995976213331173376

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God bless the people of Iraq

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

God bless the people of Iraq

This

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

R. Guyovich posted:

i remember when i read time magazine in middle school (lol) and they posted a picture of al-sadr in an iraq story with black cleric robes and narrowed eyebrows clearly trying to make him look evil and my only thought was "this guy appears to be rad as poo poo"

al sadr wears a hat of course he's evil

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the dnd me thread is so bad lmao it's pretty much all volkerball and brownmoses handwringing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the dnd me thread is so bad lmao it's pretty much all volkerball and brownmoses handwringing

what have they got to be worried about, exactly? Turkish occupation means this conflict could go on indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I would go in there if class was still on. Really needed that week long probation.