Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Also shoutout to 287 - The Caning of Sumner for the best Gareth moment of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
And now I will yet again recommend

When The Cars Came
Spiritualism and Talking Boards
The Mad Gasser

Three episodes that changed my life.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It would probably be a shorter list to just recommend episodes to avoid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Buttflakes posted:

Agreed that it does sorta seem like a small miracle that Dave has hung in here as long as he has.
Im also assuming they probably don't get a disproportionate amount of hate mail or whatever than anyone else doing anything on the internet, but when you're popular, that's and assload of hate mail, it's a big internet... I imagine you gotta learn to delete/ignore or it will consume you.

i don't get the hate though. they are genuinely pretty funny and the format isnt that bad. i guess that subjective but then again i like the dollop and LPOTL so i am used to it. i mean i can understand being turned off by dave, he is a cynical motherfucker and even worse on facebook. but then again i agree with his politics so idk.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i don't get the hate though. they are genuinely pretty funny and the format isnt that bad. i guess that subjective but then again i like the dollop and LPOTL so i am used to it. i mean i can understand being turned off by dave, he is a cynical motherfucker and even worse on facebook. but then again i agree with his politics so idk.

I figure anybody who does a public thing will attract a bunch of Internet people who hate them, no matter what. It doesn't have to be a rational hate, and it doesn't have to be a reasonable response. Forget about it, Jake. It's the Internet.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Unfinish3d posted:

and the world's greatest sack of flour
Eh, this one I wasn't that big on because they spend the whole time just being baffled at the concept of a charity auction. Like, the actual item is a little weird, but it didn't come across as the mind-boggling thing that they were making it out to be.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

having their mind blown by obvious poo poo is definitely a repeat problem

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Lord Hydronium posted:

Eh, this one I wasn't that big on because they spend the whole time just being baffled at the concept of a charity auction. Like, the actual item is a little weird, but it didn't come across as the mind-boggling thing that they were making it out to be.

I can understand that, for me it was a case of the story being entertaining enough in its own right to make the episode worth the listen

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rodyle posted:

having their mind blown by obvious poo poo is definitely a repeat problem

You should let Dave know on Twitter!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The episodes recommendations keep coming up a lot, understandably.

I wished for a while there was a site to rate individual episodes of a podcast;
and apparently that's what these guys are trying to do:
https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/the-dollop-with-dave-anthony-a-82390/episodes

But they don't have many people rating yet I think.
A lot of episodes have like 2 people rating it.
But might get interesting in the future, or is there another more popular site that does this?
I don't even know if itunes does this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sometimes their riffs go on way too long and fall flat, and in later episodes there's literally 10~ minutes of bullshit at the front end that makes it pretty dense. I took a listen because of a recommendation from Chapo fairly late in the podcast, listened for like 5 minutes, and turned it off.

I love the dollop now and think that when it's good, it's one of the best podcasts out there. I don't mind the live formats and don't really understand why they take so much flack, or more importantly, why they seem to take it so hard. But I do get that it's a bit of an acquired taste and there are some "off" episodes or portions of episodes

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Harminoff posted:

Surprised nobody mentioned pedestrianism. Easily one of the best episodes.

Dope lake is also pretty great as is the girl watchers.

the walking episode is great just for the amount of time Gareth's only response to something is "...walking? it's...walking?"

He never gets over it the entire time

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The feedback that he has tantrums over isn't even that bad, if you look at the stuff on reddit that gets his blood boiling it's like little nitpicky things or audio quality things, with some genuinely annoying arcs peppered in here and there.

But he's in show business with a huge following and can't take criticism? When I was younger I was on the very fringes of entertainment, music, and art; like just barely touching a regional sphere of influence, and stuff I've done individually and otherwise has been picked apart by strangers and will continue to be, and it happens to anyone who sells the product of entertainment. It's such a normal thing and it's a net positive IMO, once you cool down and can deconstruct it. It's weird that some guy who's been at it for a couple decades thinks all feedback is insulting. Also, those live shows with the laughless-pauses-for-laughter sounded like dogshit and I'm glad people said something, but apparently that's a no-no for DA? It's all good baby I love the show, but dang.

This is the first podcast where I'm doing the whole show from the beginning, I started like 3 months ago. I'm on ep. 120-ish and literally every single episode so far has been actual laugh-out-loud funny, I can't even pick a top 20 because Gareth is so f-ing funny in all of these early ones. The new ones have a little less steam, but I'd wager The Dollop is probably one of the few podcasts ever that has shined for this long and is never a chore to listen to. 300+ episodes is a lot of anything of any format, never mind hour-plus improv comedy.

What a rant.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
There is a reason that Dave titled his show Hothead.

Dude flies off the handle, he has always flown off the handle, he's gonna keep flying off the handle, it's just who he is.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

life is a joke posted:

The feedback that he has tantrums over isn't even that bad, if you look at the stuff on reddit that gets his blood boiling it's like little nitpicky things or audio quality things, with some genuinely annoying arcs peppered in here and there.

But he's in show business with a huge following and can't take criticism? When I was younger I was on the very fringes of entertainment, music, and art; like just barely touching a regional sphere of influence, and stuff I've done individually and otherwise has been picked apart by strangers and will continue to be, and it happens to anyone who sells the product of entertainment. It's such a normal thing and it's a net positive IMO, once you cool down and can deconstruct it. It's weird that some guy who's been at it for a couple decades thinks all feedback is insulting. Also, those live shows with the laughless-pauses-for-laughter sounded like dogshit and I'm glad people said something, but apparently that's a no-no for DA? It's all good baby I love the show, but dang.

This is the first podcast where I'm doing the whole show from the beginning, I started like 3 months ago. I'm on ep. 120-ish and literally every single episode so far has been actual laugh-out-loud funny, I can't even pick a top 20 because Gareth is so f-ing funny in all of these early ones. The new ones have a little less steam, but I'd wager The Dollop is probably one of the few podcasts ever that has shined for this long and is never a chore to listen to. 300+ episodes is a lot of anything of any format, never mind hour-plus improv comedy.

What a rant.

TLDR: He had a dad who was abusive and now criticism sets him off. Call it a trigger. It's just a particularly harsh trigger when it's something that even makes normal people a bit touchy.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

life is a joke posted:

What a rant.

There are tons of comedians who can't take criticism. Donald Glover just said he can't on Kimmel last week. Most people in show business completely avoid reviews and social media because of it. Most just avoid it all together. It's far more common that not common and it's bizarre to say otherwise. Comedians used to always talk about how they avoided the AV Club comments and A Special Thing boards.

Also, he had repeatedly said it's DM's and emails but people keep bringing up Reddit. The narrative you want it to be does not match what he says. Hence why Gareth is talking about how they shouldn't make fun of people having a bunch of kids that die in the 1800's. We have no idea what that email or message was.

As far as sound goes, Wil Anderson's quote is right. "It's a free podcast, gently caress off."

dougdougdougdoug fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 12, 2018

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'm not saying that criticism is nice, and I didn't say everyone likes it, just that it is most definitely absolutely going to happen if you put yourself out there at all, and sometimes people are telling you valuable things that you might need to hear. The difference with him is that he's a huge whiney baby about it, yeah Donald Glover doesn't like criticism but he also doesn't post rants like "you know what I do this FOR FREE and i am done. So done ugh!". Donald Glover told Kimmel that he's sensitive and avoids the internet, not that people are ruining his good time and pissing him off. That's a lot different.

Like I said I just started from the ep 1, and somewhat recently got to the one following him being criticized for reading other people's work word-for-word and giving no credit, and instead of saying something even remotely cool he has this sarcastic whine about how SOME PEOPLE think there should be sources and will begrudgingly post them online, and then "apologises" on r/thedollop and does more of a sorry-not-sorry about fair use and copyright.

So whatever the source is, reddit or otherwise, he is a baby and withholds content and fan engagement, and sounds like a petulant turd justifying himself.

e: also just because there's no fee to download an episode does not mean that a.) it's being done out of the goodness of someone's heart and they make nothing for it, and b.) obvious flaws may not be discussed for some reason? because it's free?

i think im coming in a little hot on the whole thing, i obviously love the show and the hosts since i still listen, it does annoy me a little but im not gonna ruin the thread about it anymore

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 13, 2018

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Did Dave's dad beat you too

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

life is a joke posted:

I'm not saying that criticism is nice, and I didn't say everyone likes it, just that it is most definitely absolutely going to happen if you put yourself out there at all, and sometimes people are telling you valuable things that you might need to hear. The difference with him is that he's a huge whiney baby about it, yeah Donald Glover doesn't like criticism but he also doesn't post rants like "you know what I do this FOR FREE and i am done. So done ugh!". Donald Glover told Kimmel that he's sensitive and avoids the internet, not that people are ruining his good time and pissing him off. That's a lot different.

Like I said I just started from the ep 1, and somewhat recently got to the one following him being criticized for reading other people's work word-for-word and giving no credit, and instead of saying something even remotely cool he has this sarcastic whine about how SOME PEOPLE think there should be sources and will begrudgingly post them online, and then "apologises" on r/thedollop and does more of a sorry-not-sorry about fair use and copyright.

So whatever the source is, reddit or otherwise, he is a baby and withholds content and fan engagement, and sounds like a petulant turd justifying himself.

e: also just because there's no fee to download an episode does not mean that a.) it's being done out of the goodness of someone's heart and they make nothing for it, and b.) obvious flaws may not be discussed for some reason? because it's free?

i think im coming in a little hot on the whole thing, i obviously love the show and the hosts since i still listen, it does annoy me a little but im not gonna ruin the thread about it anymore

Yeah, if it's free I don't comment on poo poo. I move on and listen to something else. I think people who do are assholes and should be treated as such. Most of the time I've seen people crying about sound I've had no issues with it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

life is a joke posted:

disengage dude

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

disengage dude

no, get angrier and post more words

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Alaois posted:

no, get angrier and post more words

it's meltdown may after all

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
People get mad that they make dead-baby jokes about people in ye olden days? People suck. :mad:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

life is a joke posted:

You are not owed fan engagement or content, hth

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i listen to the podcast in spite of Dave but secretly hoped he would shut the whole thing down when he got butthurt over the content-stealing accusations

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

LentThem posted:

i listen to the podcast in spite of Dave but secretly hoped he would shut the whole thing down when he got butthurt over the content-stealing accusations

How did you expect him to respond?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lent probably expected Dave to get therapy like that hypothetical guy who wants to maybe start a war in Korea but wants a shiny gold medal even more. That non-existent dude has serious issues.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
no i said in my post that i hoped he would rage out and stop the podcast completely and maybe tell Dollop fans to blame drat Interesting because it would be a hilarious overreaction, though actually i expected his response to be 'ignore it'

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

LentThem posted:

i listen to the podcast in spite of Dave

Same. Not so much because he's a petulant rear end in a top hat but because all the comedy is provided by Gary.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

PerilPastry posted:

Same. Not so much because he's a petulant rear end in a top hat but because all the comedy is provided by Gary.

So, you don't listen for the guy whose job is to the straight man on the show?

Do tell.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Came for the history, stayed for Gary

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
It's actually histreth.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Podcast is usually good but Dave is a dumb petulant baby sometimes (especially his sorry-not-sorry screed after drat Interesting called him out for plagiarism).

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

dougdougdougdoug posted:

So, you don't listen for the guy whose job is to the straight man on the show?

Do tell.

Nah, I get the dynamic of the show. But come on. It's not like Dave is some stoic narrator that won't do a bit himself or try to push back on Gareth. His jokes just don't land that often IMO.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 14, 2018

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

Nah, I get the dynamic of the show. But come on. It's not like Dave is some stoic narrator that won't do a bit himself or try to push back on Gareth. His jokes just don't land that often IMO.
Yeah, I wish Dave was more of a straight man. He's a funny dude, but doesn't have the knack for weird little character sketches and bits the way Gareth does (also James Adomian, apparently).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
After the last few bummer episodes, I've been hoping for an optimistic one, and the Dollop did it (sorta).

:unsmith:

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

T. Bombastus posted:

Yeah, I wish Dave was more of a straight man. He's a funny dude, but doesn't have the knack for weird little character sketches and bits the way Gareth does (also James Adomian, apparently).

He's funny. They have great chemistry. It's why the show works.

But regardless, comedy is subjective, so to comment on what's funny is idiotic.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

dougdougdougdoug posted:

He's funny. They have great chemistry. It's why the show works.

But regardless, comedy is subjective, so to comment on what's funny is idiotic.
Trying to claim that we can't discuss subjective things is idiotic. Trying to start poo poo with people who are clearly fans of the show by pointing out obvious elements of said show is moronic.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
Welp... I guess I'm officially a fan dork because my heart just jumped a little when my buddy told me there's a new ep.
:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Buttflakes posted:

Welp... I guess I'm officially a fan dork because my heart just jumped a little when my buddy told me there's a new ep.
:woop:

It's probably the first episode that I've bailed on :(