Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SwissCM posted:

The only truly excellent rebellion game was AvP 2000 and that was a very long time ago.

Rogue Trooper was also surprisingly good on the OG Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

I did an extremely stupid thing: created a script to generate intentionally corrupted WADs for vanilla Doom that exit to DOS and play animated ANSI art as soon as you enter MAP01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDV416JAAoc

This is good and excellent.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wild T posted:

I feel like Monolith’s AvP2 is kind of the forgotten game in the franchise, despite its multiplayer being one of my favorite LAN games of all time.

The campaign was a lot of fun as well as long as you stayed far away from the expansion pack. “Oh neat, my motion tracker is now 360 degrees!” you shout before realizing the game is about to teleport aliens behind you every 10 seconds for the entire campaign.

Still, getting to jump into an up-Armored power loader packed with weapons and gently caress up an entire alien hive was groovy poo poo.

AvP2 was my favourite and I always thought it was pretty well-remembered.

It also had the best motion tracker in any game, and especially any Aliens game, because it tracked motion, not life or enemies, so it would pick up your teammates, doors opening and closing, those giant bugs native to LV1201, and cables swaying in the breeze, but not the alien clinging perfectly motionless to the ceiling above you.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
AvP 2 had 3 great campaigns and several brilliant multiplayer modes, the zombie-style one team starts with 1 player and every kill that team gets brings the victim to that team to the mode where all the aliens start as facehuggers, have to survive as chestbusters if they get a facehugger kill until they are fully grown and then play as (different) aliens (depending on the type of character they burst from) until they get enough kills to transform into a royal guard.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltx_sF_XB-c

Recently saw this and it dawned on my that Japan really hasn't done a whole lot of FPSs even compared to Korea or Taiwan. This is probably the closest thing you can find to something with the aesthetics of a Platinum game like God Hand (yeah, I realize it was made before Platinum was actually formed).

Meat Beat Agent posted:

I did an extremely stupid thing: created a script to generate intentionally corrupted WADs for vanilla Doom that exit to DOS and play animated ANSI art as soon as you enter MAP01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDV416JAAoc

LOOOOOOOL, this is good, please do more.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I dunno about FPS, but for first person in general, Maken X and Breakdown are both pretty cool. Both have some shooting but are primarily melee.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shoehead posted:

They are only being weird about Rage 2 because this was the year they relaunch Brink

I really enjoyed Brink

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

AvP2 was my favourite and I always thought it was pretty well-remembered.

It also had the best motion tracker in any game, and especially any Aliens game, because it tracked motion, not life or enemies, so it would pick up your teammates, doors opening and closing, those giant bugs native to LV1201, and cables swaying in the breeze, but not the alien clinging perfectly motionless to the ceiling above you.

Yeah AvP2 is the best of the bunch for me as well. Sadly due to licensing insanity (seriously what’s with this time period for FPS games and the insane licensing attached to them?) we’ll probably never see a rerelease like the original AvP

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I dunno about FPS, but for first person in general, Maken X and Breakdown are both pretty cool. Both have some shooting but are primarily melee.

There’s probably 20-30 Japanese FPS games that I know of. All are console based, with about 1/2 being Gundam or Mecha based. There are a lot of early FPS pre Wolf/Doom as well. I could effort post some if anyone is interested.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

May be a polarizing opinion but I thought DNF was merely ok, not a bad game but not a good one either, just really :mediocre: at best. Honestly the novelty of the game's troubled release hell is really the only thing going for it. There are much worse games than DNF but I wouldn't want to waste time playing it either.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 13, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really enjoyed Brink

It was a better game than Rage, at least.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

GUI posted:

I could've sworn there were multiple physics puzzles in DNF where you had to throw barrels at something.

Probably but I distinctly remember an entire level that was nothing but a hallway with a fan in the floor and you had to push a toolbox into it to progress. That was it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It was a better game than Rage, at least.

Hard disagree. The art in Brink was fantastic and the movement system was cool but then...you played it. At least Rage was a good dude shooter.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I give Brink a lot of poo poo because Splash Damage released an untested, unbalanced, unfinished one-third of a game for sixty actual earth dollars and then swiftly abandoned it and its community, and they deserve every dirt clod thrown at them. But there were moments in Brink where I was immersed in the experience and having fun with it on the intended level, which is more than I can say for Rage.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That Brink put so much effort into building up its world and reinforcing it with awesome environment art only to do not that much with the results is kind of heartbreaking. The Ark would be a fantastic setting for a Titanfall 2-esque single player campaign, parkouring around and shooting faces. But alas, Splash Damage spent all their powers on Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and never quite recovered.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

There’s probably 20-30 Japanese FPS games that I know of. All are console based, with about 1/2 being Gundam or Mecha based. There are a lot of early FPS pre Wolf/Doom as well. I could effort post some if anyone is interested.
I'd love to hear about this stuff. Do go on!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 13, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DatonKallandor posted:

AvP 2 had 3 great campaigns and several brilliant multiplayer modes, the zombie-style one team starts with 1 player and every kill that team gets brings the victim to that team to the mode where all the aliens start as facehuggers, have to survive as chestbusters if they get a facehugger kill until they are fully grown and then play as (different) aliens (depending on the type of character they burst from) until they get enough kills to transform into a royal guard.

You could turn into an Alien Queen with the full life cycle enabled... Just to get stuck in a vent somewhere as a newly evolved queen, because you weren't fast enough.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
So a couple of years ago I got really interested in obscure FPS games. My initial trip down the rabbit hole took my to Marphy Black’s Youtube channel. Like many in this thread is found it super interesting and watches through his entire playlist. After a few videos in I noticed that the majority of the content was PC specific. From this thread I knew there were Doom ports all the way back to the SNES and immediately wondered if older consoles held some gems. It was during this search that I found a number of Japanese FPS games I never knew existed.

Pre Wolfenstein there were a small number of unique FPS games. The first notable of these games was “Starluster” from Namco. Released in 1985 for the Famicom/NES, the perspective wise it was very similar to the old Elite games. One notable mechanic was a regenerating shield similar to what Halo popularized.
https://youtu.be/b4O5QvV4sg8

1986 saw the release of “Gundam Hot Scramble” for the NES. While piloting a mecha instead of a star fighter, many of the same concepts are utilized. Each level is from a set perspective, generally fighting different mobile suits from the Gundam franchise. After level 16 you face random opponents and challenges.
https://youtu.be/1LxupaRwVTI

In 1988 “Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode” was released for the NES. Stating this one as a FPS is slightly more questionable as the game darts back and forth between a side scroller with each level having first person segments. You control an assassin though 13 acts through numerous realistic set prices based off of a Manga of the same name. Each life is referred to an episode, and only allows for 52 total to complete the game. Each death resets the Act or level. If you die 52 times before the completion of all act returns you to the first act.
https://youtu.be/VKCRIVC6Bqg

A sequel to Golgo 13 titles the “Golgo 13: Mafat Conspiracy” was released in 1990 for the NES. The game maintained much of the gameplay of its predecessor.
https://youtu.be/gy_DEh1zejI

SNK created a unique FPS and Beat em up hybrid in 1990’s “The Super Spy” for the Neo Geo. The player controls a CIA operative who can mostly only move left or right as they traverse office buildings and warehouses trying to stop a terrorist event. Combat is similar to Mike Tyson’s punch out, as you dodge, block, and parry your foes as you look for your opening to eliminate them. Melee and range weapons have limited use, with knifes dulling and pistols being unusable one ammunition is expended. You can, however, pistol whip to conserve ammunition. SNK released another game called “Crossed Swords” that used the same engine.
https://youtu.be/DSrQ8cbQSY

The only Turbo Grafx 16 (also later released for Wii’s Classic Arcade) FPS game that I know, “Silent Debuggers” from Data West mixes Wizardry style movement with light gun action. You a a Debugger, hired gun set to clear out a futuristic space station of monsters and fellow mercenaries. If you thought Wolfenstein 3D had repetitive levels, prepare to see the most basic corridors known to man. The ultimate goal is to stop the station’s self destructions by clearing every level of baddies until you reach the first floor and “debug” the station’s mainframe.
https://youtu.be/h7RybY2-kC4

The final FPS released before Wolf was “Gun Buster” by Taito in 1992. Although an arcade only title, the game offered light gun aiming and an analog stick for character movement. This movement however was limited to a small room at a time and saw very little ability to use movement as a weapon like the iD and western FPS games soon the follow.
https://youtu.be/Tk92NGh3mS4

I’m about to go out to a mother’s day dinner with my Wife, so I’ll post the SNES/PS1 era games later today if there is still interest.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

That Brink put so much effort into building up its world and reinforcing it with awesome environment art only to do not that much with the results is kind of heartbreaking. The Ark would be a fantastic setting for a Titanfall 2-esque single player campaign, parkouring around and shooting faces. But alas, Splash Damage spent all their powers on Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and never quite recovered.

Yeah they were kind of the golden children for a while. I remember liking Quake Wars when it came out but I don’t think it did well for reasons I never learned about and then Brink was a big wet thud. Somehow Dirty Bomb seems to be a success despite being absolutely awful with a super toxic community. I guess people have low standards when it comes to free-to-play games that are even a little competent?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah they were kind of the golden children for a while. I remember liking Quake Wars when it came out but I don’t think it did well for reasons I never learned about and then Brink was a big wet thud. Somehow Dirty Bomb seems to be a success despite being absolutely awful with a super toxic community. I guess people have low standards when it comes to free-to-play games that are even a little competent?

Quake Wars had the really, really unfortunate release date as the same week as The Orange Box which means it ended up competing directly with TF2. It was a fun game but TF2 pretty much destroyed any kind of release and post released coverage chances it had because it’s just a much better game

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 13, 2018

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Dirty Bomb (Splash Damage's latest game) is pretty drat good, although its development and marketing have been a bit of a poo poo show. They were getting published by Nexon for a while, then they weren't, and they've essentially been in open beta since 2015, but whether the game is still technically unreleased or in post-release development depends on who you ask. They're still balancing and adding new content (at a glacial pace) and there's still a pretty solid player base.

It's a good game, is what I'm saying. If you loved ET or wanted to love Brink it's absolutely worth your time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

treat posted:

Dirty Bomb (Splash Damage's latest game) is pretty drat good, although its development and marketing have been a bit of a poo poo show. They were getting published by Nexon for a while, then they weren't, and they've essentially been in open beta since 2015, but whether the game is still technically unreleased or in post-release development depends on who you ask. They're still balancing and adding new content (at a glacial pace) and there's still a pretty solid player base.

It's a good game, is what I'm saying. If you loved ET or wanted to love Brink it's absolutely worth your time.

One of the earlier games to do the whole "hero shooter" thing, is a better game than Overwatch.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

So a couple of years ago I got really interested in obscure FPS games. My initial trip down the rabbit hole took my to Marphy Black’s Youtube channel. Like many in this thread is found it super interesting and watches through his entire playlist. After a few videos in I noticed that the majority of the content was PC specific. From this thread I knew there were Doom ports all the way back to the SNES and immediately wondered if older consoles held some gems. It was during this search that I found a number of Japanese FPS games I never knew existed.

Pre Wolfenstein there were a small number of unique FPS games. The first notable of these games was “Starluster” from Namco. Released in 1985 for the Famicom/NES, the perspective wise it was very similar to the old Elite games. One notable mechanic was a regenerating shield similar to what Halo popularized.
https://youtu.be/b4O5QvV4sg8

1986 saw the release of “Gundam Hot Scramble” for the NES. While piloting a mecha instead of a star fighter, many of the same concepts are utilized. Each level is from a set perspective, generally fighting different mobile suits from the Gundam franchise. After level 16 you face random opponents and challenges.
https://youtu.be/1LxupaRwVTI

In 1988 “Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode” was released for the NES. Stating this one as a FPS is slightly more questionable as the game darts back and forth between a side scroller with each level having first person segments. You control an assassin though 13 acts through numerous realistic set prices based off of a Manga of the same name. Each life is referred to an episode, and only allows for 52 total to complete the game. Each death resets the Act or level. If you die 52 times before the completion of all act returns you to the first act.
https://youtu.be/VKCRIVC6Bqg

A sequel to Golgo 13 titles the “Golgo 13: Mafat Conspiracy” was released in 1990 for the NES. The game maintained much of the gameplay of its predecessor.
https://youtu.be/gy_DEh1zejI

SNK created a unique FPS and Beat em up hybrid in 1990’s “The Super Spy” for the Neo Geo. The player controls a CIA operative who can mostly only move left or right as they traverse office buildings and warehouses trying to stop a terrorist event. Combat is similar to Mike Tyson’s punch out, as you dodge, block, and parry your foes as you look for your opening to eliminate them. Melee and range weapons have limited use, with knifes dulling and pistols being unusable one ammunition is expended. You can, however, pistol whip to conserve ammunition. SNK released another game called “Crossed Swords” that used the same engine.
https://youtu.be/DSrQ8cbQSY

The only Turbo Grafx 16 (also later released for Wii’s Classic Arcade) FPS game that I know, “Silent Debuggers” from Data West mixes Wizardry style movement with light gun action. You a a Debugger, hired gun set to clear out a futuristic space station of monsters and fellow mercenaries. If you thought Wolfenstein 3D had repetitive levels, prepare to see the most basic corridors known to man. The ultimate goal is to stop the station’s self destructions by clearing every level of baddies until you reach the first floor and “debug” the station’s mainframe.
https://youtu.be/h7RybY2-kC4

The final FPS released before Wolf was “Gun Buster” by Taito in 1992. Although an arcade only title, the game offered light gun aiming and an analog stick for character movement. This movement however was limited to a small room at a time and saw very little ability to use movement as a weapon like the iD and western FPS games soon the follow.
https://youtu.be/Tk92NGh3mS4

I’m about to go out to a mother’s day dinner with my Wife, so I’ll post the SNES/PS1 era games later today if there is still interest.

:frogon:

treat posted:

There was a thread for this game but I imagine it has disappeared into the archives.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/995911595195691008

This went up and the went down.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Bethesda has moved towards a "announce and release 6 months later" not "announce and release 2 years later" so the fact that we might get Rage 2 this fall is pretty cool.

Never played the first one, but I'll probably pick it up if it's pretty cheap on Steam and give it a shot.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The tone of that teaser looks really dumb and not in a good way, hopefully the actual game/trailers are better.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Doom 2016 looked trash from early media too tbf

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Convex posted:

Doom 2016 looked trash from earlyall media except for the nvidia event too tbf

Yeah, the doom trailers were exceptionally dire.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GUI posted:

The tone of that teaser looks really dumb and not in a good way, hopefully the actual game/trailers are better.

It looks like an Ad for the in-universe mutant smash TV show not the game. Hopefully that's the case, because if not...oh boy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first game was like Borderlands without the humor, this looks like they've realized there should be humor, maybe in Rage 3 there actually will be humor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I'll take no-jokes RAGE over Borderlands "humor" any day though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah they’re going straight up goofy as hell which is great.

https://twitter.com/ragegame/status/996027361769517061?s=21

And yeah I hope this is more open and less of a story based thing. I just want to have fun in a post apocalyptic manshooter.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
hoping it's idtech 6.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah they’re going straight up goofy as hell which is great.

https://twitter.com/ragegame/status/996027361769517061?s=21

And yeah I hope this is more open and less of a story based thing. I just want to have fun in a post apocalyptic manshooter.

It looks way more interesting than Rage 1's boring brown garbage, that's for sure.

Hopefully it's either straight up open world to justify the driving, or there's no driving.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Lemon-Lime posted:

It looks way more interesting than Rage 1's boring brown garbage, that's for sure.

Hopefully it's either straight up open world to justify the driving, or there's no driving.

there's a fricken' buggy in the goddamn thumbnail yah big goofus!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As far as the "who's developing it oh god i hope it's not rebellion" mystery, the legal text at the bottom of the page on Bethesda's site says that it's "Developed in association with Avalanche Studios, trading as Fatalist Entertainment AB." So that's that answered.

https://twitter.com/RAGEgame/status/996030473909555201

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Funny, that Walmart leak indicates they should be working on Just Cause 4 at the moment.

Not that I'm complaining; Just Cause 2 was really fun, and Just Cause 3... exists, I guess, never really played it to know if it followed up well. (Heard it was pretty buggy, though.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Funny, that Walmart leak indicates they should be working on Just Cause 4 at the moment.
Avalanche has two studios, one in Stockholm and one in New York. Just Cause 3 and Mad Max were developed more or less simultaneously.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Smoke on the street was Mad Max was Avalanche’s A team and Just Cause 3 was their B and having played both it makes sense. Mad max wasn’t perfect but it was beautiful and polished and an overall fun product. Just Cause 3 was riddled with DRM caused load times and just tedious as all gently caress. Difficulty was completely flat and you were forced into completing awful side missions to advance the main story which sucked balls. They also got rid of the vehicle flipping sounds which should be illegal.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I checked Wikipedia when Kinsie indicated there were two Avalanche Studios teams, and Just Cause 2/Mad Max were the Sweden team, while Just Cause 3 was the New York one.

Which now makes me wonder which one's which for Rage 2/Just Cause 4...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I think I’m the only person ITT that liked Rage. That rage 2 trailer may as well be a different game and it looks awful. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Counterpoint: Rage is one of the few pieces of media, videogame or otherwise, that I don't just dislike or find disappointing, but genuinely, seriously hate. The trailer looks like an entirely different game, one with an actual personality, one where I might get to fire more than thirty combined rounds of ammunition the entire game, one that could even be fun - an entirely foreign concept to Rage.