Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I really don't remember I might be thinking of Doom 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Mass Effect Andromeda is a good game

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
let thunderdome commence

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rayman Origins/Legends are the best 2d Platformers out there (although I've not played Celeste, which I've heard is really good).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

1redflag posted:

Rayman Origins/Legends are the best 2d Platformers out there (although I've not played Celeste, which I've heard is really good).

Pretty sure Super Mario Brothers 3 is the best platformer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SMB3 isn't even the best Mario platformer.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Could be I was never really into platformers anyway. :shrug:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dyna Soar posted:

how is it awful? i think it's still p. fun, especially with a friend

Maybe it’s vexause I’m trying it alone. That said this weird rear end tiger literally stun locked my entire party to death and it kinda soured my opinion on it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dyna Soar posted:

Pc gaming has been a reality since the dawn of computer gaming
This is technically correct, the best kind of correct. Also likely to get you not invited back to dinner parties. Someone coded a game for a Multix mainframe way back when, and so yes, there have been games ever since personal computers where A Thing. Apart from a few oddities such as nethack, most games (esp for kids) back then had no save states; you where kind of expected to finish the game in one sitting. Or select the level etc. I think the first save-able game I ever played was Zelda for the NES, and even then it's much closer to what we think of as save points; you could save&quit at any time, but it stuck you back at the beginning when you came back. But then we got stuff like Doom.

2house2fly posted:

OG Doom let you save anywhere? I never played much of it when I was young but I could have sworn it saved between levels. That's why the levels are designed to be beatable with only the weapons in that level, because you could die and start over with no weapons
Derail: As an aside, no, Doom didn't (iirc) save between levels, although you where offered the chance to restart with a pistol if you died. Levels where designed to be completable as such, though it's actually a challenge well beyond normal gameplay, where you where expected to have weapon progression.

Yea, you could save every 2 seconds in Doom if you felt like it. Which was revolutionary at the time, showcasing how cool PCs where (imo as a kid). It was also a terrible blow to game design, as even as kids we made fun of each other for saving every time you walked down a corridor. Yes, modern save points remove agency from the player, but making the player replay (small) segments of the game upon death is actually good for immersion, and skill mastery.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I finished Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence and it was hard enough even with the constant saving. I guess I agree in principle that checkpoints are better for immersion, but there are several games I just stopped playing because they had a section where you can't save and get booted back to the beginning if you fail.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I have to wonder if a major part of the appeal of battle royale games is just the default 100 person player count every single one of them has. The last mainstream PC games to break the 64 player barrier that I can think of other than maybe Arma was Planetside, Tribes/Tribes 2 with server mods, Return to Castle Wolfenstein with mods, the Joint OPS/Blackhawk Down/Delta Force games by Novalogic, and the Red Orchestra/Rising Storm games with server mods which are all very niche. Every other mainstream FPS has been capped at the 32/16/8 player limit since the beginning of time because designing games and maps hosting more than 64 people is too hard even now for some reason when practically everyone in the civilized world is behind a fairly high bandwidth internet connection. That, and 'E sports' cause any teams including physical sports teams IRL are automatically not cool if there's more than 11 players on a single team. With competitive FPSers, that magic number is '4'.

I think the PS3 had some 300 person shooter (MAG?) but with significant limitations like zones with 32-64 player caps and there was that EVE/PS3 shooter crossover that had capital ships and some large number of people on the ground as well.

Of course with battle royale games, you're never going to interact with maybe more than 10 people nearby at a time, but it's still cool from a tech perspective of "Hey, there's 99 other assholes in this game world with me and I could in theory blow them all away".

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
There is also a low barrier to entry. At it's most basic you run around and shoot poo poo. It's not mechanically complicated to pick up, and there is enough illusion of "hey, I can win this next match." To keep people hooked. It's kinda also the first time that 100 people could be on a map at the same time, isn't it?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Avalanche posted:

Every other mainstream FPS has been capped at the 32/16/8 player limit since the beginning of time because designing games and maps hosting more than 64 people is too hard even now for some reason when practically everyone in the civilized world is behind a fairly high bandwidth internet connection. That, and 'E sports' cause any teams including physical sports teams IRL are automatically not cool if there's more than 11 players on a single team. With competitive FPSers, that magic number is '4'.

I mean, the biggest competitive FPS games have 5-6 people on a team right? Also CS had 64 and 128 man servers for a long time, but they were mostly for different serverside gamemodes.

Personally my view on Battle Royale games is that there is a very, very clear pathway between the original DayZ mod and its successors. It was vastly more successful than ARMA and tonnes of people played it, but most of the playerbase just treated it as an open world PvP game and hated the janky zombie stuff that was the actual conceit of the game. PUBG and H1Z1 were basically direct follow-ons from DayZ as each iteration just because more PvP focused and tried to maximise player interaction.

You are totally right though that in general, the ability for BR games to exist rests on the back of improvements to internet infrastructure, but it's been possible for quite a while so long as the game wasn't overly detailed or reliant on precision.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

There is also a low barrier to entry. At it's most basic you run around and shoot poo poo. It's not mechanically complicated to pick up, and there is enough illusion of "hey, I can win this next match." To keep people hooked. It's kinda also the first time that 100 people could be on a map at the same time, isn't it?

That illusion is very very easy to maintain too. My second game of PUBG (this was pretty early on when things were REALLY buggy) ever I ended up bugging out my interface somehow so I couldn't loot anything. Trying to fix it I accidentally took off and dropped my pants. I spent the entire match running around in my underwear, weaponless, and made it to the top 10. I got killed when the circle got small enough that I had nowhere left to go so I just bum rushed the first dude I saw, who probably was surprised to find a naked pugilist up in his face at this stage of the game.

Admittedly, that was a fun match, and the fact that things like that can happen does make the game compelling. But I think PUBG's engine is terrible and it tries to hard to look realistic. I've realized in the last few years that I really prefer stylized art. I haven't played Fortnite and probably won't, but I much prefer it's cartoony look to what PUBG is going for.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically Blizzard or someone is going to eat PUBG's lunch as soon as they take a look at the genre. When I finally watched I was shocked at how janky and 2005 it looks, even by the standards of a game that is trying to keep system/network requirements low.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Every ounce of cutscene in MGS V is boring and dumb and sounds like it was written by an r-word.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

dont even fink about it posted:

Basically Blizzard or someone is going to eat PUBG's lunch as soon as they take a look at the genre. When I finally watched I was shocked at how janky and 2005 it looks, even by the standards of a game that is trying to keep system/network requirements low.

Fortnite is already making GBS threads all over it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's a fad

it's like pogs or those stupid slimes. now that the internet is fast enough to have truly worldwide coverage, a lovely game can become huge as a fad and then be forgotten when its players grow up (gamers never do lol)

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Admittedly, that was a fun match, and the fact that things like that can happen does make the game compelling. But I think PUBG's engine is terrible and it tries to hard to look realistic. I've realized in the last few years that I really prefer stylized art. I haven't played Fortnite and probably won't, but I much prefer it's cartoony look to what PUBG is going for.

PUBG and Fortnite both run on unreal engine 4 :ssh:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tokit posted:

PUBG and Fortnite both run on unreal engine 4 :ssh:

yes but one of them is also made by the company that makes unreal engine 4 and has been making video games for decades and the other was built out of a mod for another game, saying "they're both UE4" is true but means basically nothing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

rocksmith and skyrim both run on gamebryo and yet when people say "the engine in skyrim is a huge piece of poo poo" nobody pushes up their taped-up coke bottle glasses to go "UM ACTUALLY" because people generally understand things from context

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
well at least i didn't spaz out like a sperg about it like you did

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

spudsbuckley posted:

Fortnite is already making GBS threads all over it.

By virtue of having any sort of visual identity or personality at all

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tokit posted:

well at least i didn't spaz out like a sperg about it like you did

buddy you don't even know spazzy, i haven't even had my coffee yet

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Every ounce of cutscene dialogue in MGS V is boring and dumb and sounds like it was written by an r-word.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

But that gameplay, :kiss:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Maybe it’s vexause I’m trying it alone. That said this weird rear end tiger literally stun locked my entire party to death and it kinda soured my opinion on it.

That loving Tiger is easily the hardest boss in the entire game. You don't have magic, you'll ALWAYS be underleveled, and that oval office can decide to stun lock you. Even going in prepared you'll still die a few times. You should still try to give it a shot for a little while longer. Once it starts sending you places with the only explanation being "Go here because I said" feel free to srop. There's also a part where you have to find a key to a tower and finding the key is so obtuse good luck figuring it out without a guide.

The music and beginning of that game are amazing but the entire second half can go gently caress itself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

unpopular video game opinion: there are some really good text adventures

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

unpopular video game opinion: there are some really good text adventures

does a choose your own adventure book count as a video game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I take it you were a big fan of Quiet?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was the best multiplayer FPS ever made and it was goddamned free. Long live Shrub mod; I'll never have that kind of fun in a FPS ever again.

The sequel, Enemy Territory, was a tragedy.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was the best multiplayer FPS ever made and it was goddamned free. Long live Shrub mod; I'll never have that kind of fun in a FPS ever again.

The sequel, Enemy Territory, was a tragedy.

Honest to god objectives before they were focused grouped down to "stand on this square" and "stand near this moving square"

gently caress people who suicided to deny xp though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

does a choose your own adventure book count as a video game?

no

subsequent hot take: good text adventures were way better than the best CYOA books

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Dragon Age 2 had a two person cheer squad of pick and troposphere who would make post after post defending the game every time it came up. Trop doesn't post anymore and Pick is too busy directing her insanity at other things right now so we've finally moved past.

Although I will say that playing the game with only “sarcastic/joking” choices is certainly an experience.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

veni veni veni posted:

So I take it you were a big fan of Quiet?

:wink:

Also, how come Quiet doesn't talk but she hums all the time? Humming around other people is almost as bad as whistling. STFU!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I liked Brink

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Titanfall 1 was loving amazing and was ruined by P2P connections rather than stable server's.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

I liked Dirtybomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE
I liked Daikatana. The main reason why it has such a bad repuation is because people got mad about the "John Romero's About To Make You His Bitch" ad.