Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
A new thread with a fleshed-out OP would be best I think, maybe with a list of goon-recommended books/authors by category that is occasionally updated. You could use the recommendations in this thread as a start for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

gey muckle mowser posted:

A new thread with a fleshed-out OP would be best I think, maybe with a list of goon-recommended books/authors by category that is occasionally updated. You could use the recommendations in this thread as a start for it.

Yeah, this is a good idea.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New thread is probably the way to go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MockingQuantum posted:

What makes a book "extreme" horror? I don't think I've ever read anything that's been labeled as such, it makes me think everybody is grinding some mad rails while chugging surge and listening to nu-metal while running from a guy in a mask.

Also I can't recommend Hell House without reservation any more. I love it, but I think I love it for a lot of the same reasons that I love terrible B- and C-list horror movies. It's kind of a beautiful mess of a horror story, and at least in my experience opinions on how "good" the book actually is vary pretty wildly. Though I guess the same could be said of most "classic" horror novels released since about 1970. Like I said, I loved it, but I've recommended it to a few people who were looking for pretty much exactly what the book is (creepy, gruesome haunted house novel) and more than a couple of people thought it was a pretty bad book.

You know more than a couple of complete arsebiscuits.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm fine with whatever everyone else wants to do.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Something fitting about this thread sinking into the nighted Abyss only to be occasionally resurrected. Just resist the temptation to close it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
“The post not closed can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even mods may die.”

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, new thread sounds good!

I've recently been doing a nostalgia tour of 80's and 90's splatterpunk fiction and this thread isn't really the place to talk about them (they're admittedly lacking in subtle cosmic terror).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Guilty of veering into general horror chat here myself.

I imagine this thread will just eventually be people asking Ornamented Death for recommendations in the end, haha.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've recently been doing a nostalgia tour of 80's and 90's splatterpunk fiction and this thread isn't really the place to talk about them (they're admittedly lacking in subtle cosmic terror).

If you want to have a nose at some new splatterpunk stuff I can DM you a code (well, credit for a kindle copy) for my book if you fancy it.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 11, 2018

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, new thread sounds good!

Have you read Silver Scream? It's a horror anthology and where I read my first splatterpunk, so it's near and dear to my heart. All movie themed or movie adjacent horror stories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A God in the Shed is pretty good. Plot's really contrived and unlikely and I think it would have gone much better if the prologue ended up as a reveal later (to underline the absurd nature of the "curse") but it's an enjoyable read.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

A God in the Shed is pretty good. Plot's really contrived and unlikely and I think it would have gone much better if the prologue ended up as a reveal later (to underline the absurd nature of the "curse") but it's an enjoyable read.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it and really struggling to finish because it feels like the author had a couple of decent ideas and is kind of stalling to draw out the book, or build tension, but it's just not working for me. It's unfortunate because those couple of decent ideas could have been great in the hands of a more experienced writer, but the whole book feels a little amateurish, especially when it comes to the head inspector flagrantly beating the poo poo out of the guy dying of cancer because he's not bending over backwards to be helpful, apparently? and other characters behaving in kind of contrived, unjustified ways. So much of the descriptions of characters and what they're doing kind of reads like someone's armchair psychoanalysis notes too-- which makes some scenes feel like you're just being told a bunch of loosely connected impressions rather than a connected narrative.

So yeah, "contrived and unlikely" is a good description overall. It's not trash, but I don't know that I'd call it one of the "best horror novels of 2017" as I've seen suggested in a couple of places.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Brian Hodge's new novel is out in dead-tree format this week. Only about 50 pages in but it's damned good so far.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A general horror thread has been made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663

As suggested, I'm not gonna close this one, but I suspect traffic will taper off and tbh a lot of the cosmic horror discussion is probably fine to happen in a general horror thread anyway.

If anybody has any suggestions on what should go in a decent OP as far as different subgenres and suggestions of books in those genres, PM me about it or :justpost:. I'll probably hack something together but there's a lot of subgenres I've never really touched, like splatterpunk, bizarro horror, extreme horror, etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just finished Meddling Kids from Audible and it wasnt a bad story. Its Scooby Doo meets Lovecraft not exactly spooky or even having a sense of dread and to borrow phrases from a Cthulhu RPG it’s more pulpy than purist with it not ending in a bleak no hope scenario

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've never had much interest in Lovecraft but recently over at r/askphilosophy "Cosmicism" was brought up and I Wiki'ed it to see what it was. I've heard of figures like Dostoevsky being considered philosophers in their own right but this was the first I've heard of Lovecraft being touted in that way. Somebody recommended a book - HP Lovecraft: The Decline of the West - which I got in addition to the "Dark World of HP Lovecraft" collection of audiobooks because I can't see very well. I'm hoping all this will be enough to learn something about his thought.

But I've never really given much thought to "Weird fiction." Do they all have this sort of intellectual or contemplative bent?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's not that intellectual, it's just entry-level existential nihilism. read Schopenhauer instead. joshi is a looney toon

e: oh and in places Lovecraft leans heavily on a not-very-deep reading of Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy, so there's that too

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 12, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it's not that intellectual, it's just entry-level existential nihilism served with a heaping dose of anxious racism. just read Schopenhauer. joshi is a looney toon

e: oh and in places Lovecraft leans heavily on a not-very-deep reading of Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy, so there's that too

Hey how did you guess I also download The World as Will and Representation to listen to. Seriously, I was gonna get into Schopenhauer as well as Lovecraft while I'm away from the Internet for a few months.

What's wrong with Joshi though?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey how did you guess I also download The World as Will and Representation to listen to. Seriously, I was gonna get into Schopenhauer as well as Lovecraft while I'm away from the Internet for a few months.

What's wrong with Joshi though?

start with his Essays and Aphorisms imo, it'll give you a better overview of this thought before you wade into WAWAR

joshi is just crazy. i mean that literally, he's a lunatic. he stans for Lovecraft to a pathological degree and gets into weirdly personal internet feuds with anyone who brings up the racism stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

start with his Essays and Aphorisms imo, it'll give you a better overview of this thought before you wade into WAWAR

Hm, I'll look into that then. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a n00b and all but I have heard Schopenhauer is one of the simpler philosophers to read if perhaps not to understand. I'm grateful since his ideas captivate me more than, say, Hegel's.

j

quote:

oshi is just crazy. i mean that literally, he's a lunatic. he stans for Lovecraft to a pathological degree and gets into weirdly personal internet feuds with anyone who brings up the racism stuff.

That sucks. Do you know if the book I linked to is total poo poo then?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NikkolasKing posted:

That sucks. Do you know if the book I linked to is total poo poo then?

Publication Date: May 28, 2016

Yep, almost certainly. That's well after Joshi lost his loving mind.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Comedian and total Lovecraft nerd Patton Oswalt has been on the HP Podcraft to discuss author Michael Shea and his cosmic horror work Tsathoggua.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Books--Literature/HPPodcraftcom---The-HP-Lovecraft-Literary-Podca-p414238/?topicId=121234561

http://hppodcraft.com/2018/05/04/episode-402-tsathoggua/

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So going back to my original post, can anybody recommend me any good "thinking" cosmic horror/weird tales stuff besides Lovecraft?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thomas Ligotti.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Comedian and total Lovecraft nerd Patton Oswalt has been on the HP Podcraft to discuss author Michael Shea and his cosmic horror work Tsathoggua.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Books--Literature/HPPodcraftcom---The-HP-Lovecraft-Literary-Podca-p414238/?topicId=121234561

http://hppodcraft.com/2018/05/04/episode-402-tsathoggua/

Yeah I enjoyed him showing up on that podcast. Made me want to check out more Shea, but my to-read pile is getting stupid big.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NikkolasKing posted:

So going back to my original post, can anybody recommend me any good "thinking" cosmic horror/weird tales stuff besides Lovecraft?

Brian Hodge

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I just read 9mother9horse9eyes9 and while it's not a book yet, apparently it's about to be, so I hope it qualifies for this thread and not the creepypasta thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

I just read 9mother9horse9eyes9 and while it's not a book yet, apparently it's about to be, so I hope it qualifies for this thread and not the creepypasta thread.

Is there a pdf or website that rolls everything up into one document?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fallom posted:

I don't think there is a single ebook anymore, but there are small ebook segments.

https://github.com/cryzed/The-Interface-Series-e-book/releases

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Fallom posted:

I haven't read this, I just did some digging out of interest to see what this was and found this https://www.reddit.com/r/9M9H9E9/wiki/ebook.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

bagrada posted:

I haven't read this, I just did some digging out of interest to see what this was and found this https://www.reddit.com/r/9M9H9E9/wiki/ebook.

That is convoluted, but good that the "releases" link has the ebook in it. I just went through all the posts and copied the text into a HTML file, I have no idea if posting it is :filez: so yeah just use the one on that site.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Brian Evenson

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Skyscraper posted:

That has a lot of really cool stuff in it, but I don't think it added up to more than the sum of its parts. I prefer The Sick Land.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Just finished Immaculate Void, it loving ruled

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Just finished Immaculate Void, it loving ruled

My only complaint is that because the story got away from him and turned into a novel, we have to wait a year before Hodge's next short story collection.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

My only complaint is that because the story got away from him and turned into a novel, we have to wait a year before Hodge's next short story collection.

I know, that's the first thing I looked at after I finished reading it, at least it'll be the beginning of 2019.

How's I'll Bring You the Birds?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

How's I'll Bring You the Birds?

Haven't gotten to it yet to be honest, but I plan to soon. I'll report back once I do.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Solitair posted:

That has a lot of really cool stuff in it, but I don't think it added up to more than the sum of its parts. I prefer The Sick Land.

Yeah, I like that one too!

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Haven't gotten to it yet to be honest, but I plan to soon. I'll report back once I do.

Well I started it last night and finished it just now. It was pretty good but hard to follow up something like Immaculate Void or Worlds of Hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this got posted in the general horror thread. pretty good.

https://zerohplovecraft.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/the-gig-economy-2/