Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know why or how i sat through the whole thing but it's amazing how dishonest dave rubin is about i/p. i looked this up because i'd heard the reason he "left the left" was his disagreement with the other young turks about israel bombing gaza and them calling sam harris racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdKlfqkTXpI

the young turks vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp4kw54imkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is not true. American Zionists have been unambiguously opposed to the alt right and American white supremacism. The actual charge being levied is that the Netanyahu government has made common cause with anti-immigrant parties in Eastern Europe.

I can point you to FaceBook posts by these folks where they claim the left-wing in the USA is the real problem and that the alt-right is nothing to worry about.

quote:

Two years ago, it was still a toss-up: which side would mainstream anti-Semitism first, the left or the right?
The answer has been clear for months, but with the Sister Tamika/Starbucks fiasco, there is now no doubt: the left won.
The left--played by Islamists with a propagandistic expertise that would floor Goebbels--has successfully re-normalized anti-Semitism in 2018.
It wasn't Trump. It wasn't the Daily Stormer. It wasn't the white trash neos.
It was the "intellectual elite." It was the self-righteous "establishment." It was the faux compassionate. And still, you have zero--ZERO--high-level members of the Democratic Party even mentioning it.
Breathtaking.

My reply: You didn’t hear the “they stopped too soon” story I guess. https://shareblue.com/america-first-policies-juan-pablo-andrade-nazi-comments/

Response?

quote:

Yeah ok. But he's not mainstream.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Reminder that the US embassy will be moving to Jerusalem tomorrow. Not that I wish to distract from the eurovision fun or anything.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder if they'll manage to convince the EBA to host it in Jerusalem, and how many countries will boycott it if they do.

You mean like in 1979 and 1999?

Given that there is no rule that it has to be in the capital of the host country (Germany hosted in Düsseldorf and Frankfurt, Sweden in Malmö, UK in Birmingham) I don't think the venue will be all that controversial.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Grape posted:

You were this close to letting Cyprus win Europe, and you chose the insanely stupid Israeli act instead.

Have fun with the shitshow this will bring next year. :confuoot:

Congratulations to the genocidal terrorist nation winning Eurovision. In good company

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well we are talking about a European contest, it's not like those guys are strangers to colonialism and genocide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Reminder that the US embassy will be moving to Jerusalem tomorrow. Not that I wish to distract from the eurovision fun or anything.
I find it hard to believe, considering how fast they rushed this move, that it will be nearly secure enough.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find it hard to believe, considering how fast they rushed this move, that it will be nearly secure enough.

Who knows, maybe a Palestinian will agressively die near the new embassy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's loving not though, is it. It's the consulate which has always been there, and the sign is changing from 'consulate' to 'embassy' and is getting a few more staff. Literally nothing of any value is happening except the dumb symbolism that the right loves.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/995750216467910658?s=19

Hasn't been announced whether they will be changing their colors to orange.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yet another reason (as if there was a need for another) to be a fan of Ha-Po'el instead.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Yet another reason (as if there was a need for another) to be a fan of Ha-Po'el instead.

That logo loving rules!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i will destroy israel with my fiery breath

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How's that for an iconic photo?

https://twitter.com/shadirahimi/status/995862720292384768?s=20

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Miftan posted:

It's loving not though, is it. It's the consulate which has always been there, and the sign is changing from 'consulate' to 'embassy' and is getting a few more staff. Literally nothing of any value is happening except the dumb symbolism that the right loves.
If it was anyone other than Trump, I'd naturally assume that with the upgrade to "embassy", there will be a new and less lovely building involved.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Xander77 posted:

If it was anyone other than Trump, I'd naturally assume that with the upgrade to "embassy", there will be a new and less lovely building involved.

With Trump, I'm surprised they didn't make a new and more lovely building. I guess Trump just doesn't have any friends in construction in Israel.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dang

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
18 Palestinians killed in mass protests all across the Gaza border
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/u-s-embassy-gaza-protests-and-nakba-day-live-updates-1.6078190

(so far, as things are progressing the number is sure to grow significantly before the day ends)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any good overview articles on the Gaza border protests and the Palestinian casualties?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wikipedia has a big article on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Gaza_border_protests

Though today's protests are a little different I guess, today is both the Nakba memorial day and of course there's the whole American Embassy move, the protests today were certainly larger than the previous ones with a reported 35,000 protesters showing up.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
25 casualties now.

Edit: 37...

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 14, 2018

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
bit disgusting having this self congratulatory ceremony when your border forces are currently engaged in a massacre imho

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Oh wow, I thought those death tolls were for all the protests of the last month.

Edit - I've read there is some gunfire coming from the protestors and Hamas really wants to breach the border. Are they tying to get people shot at this point?

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 14, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

pro starcraft loser posted:

Oh wow, I thought those death tolls were for all the protests of the last month.
This is what I assumed until i dug a bit, because the headlines are not saying ‘today’.

It’s loving disgusting and nobody will do anything about it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
barbarians, absolute barbarians.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As the blood of martyrs waters the fields of Palestine...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Israeli government just feels empowered to slaughter with impunity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The Israeli government just feels empowered to slaughter with impunity.
Why wouldn’t they? Who is going to intervene? I’m surprised this hasn’t happened sooner.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whats the casualty toll right now?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why wouldn’t they? Who is going to intervene? I’m surprised this hasn’t happened sooner.

Yeah, no one.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

lollontee posted:

Whats the casualty toll right now?

41 last I saw.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That's dead, there's 1900+ wounded too

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

NLJP posted:

That's dead, there's 1900+ wounded too

The idea that a "first world" "liberal" democracy can just fire indiscriminately into large crowds of protesters and get away with it is just beyond shocking and depressing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The idea that a "first world" "liberal" democracy can just fire indiscriminately into large crowds of protesters and get away with it is just beyond shocking and depressing.

I hate to break this to you, but most colonization and oppression of people happened under British and French democracies. Belgium was a semi-parliamentary democracy when king leopold was given the congo and proceeded to murder ten million people. This shouldnt be a shock to you. Also, Israel isnt a liberal democracy it's a racial apartheid colonialist state, big difference.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 14, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I hate to break this to you, but most colonization and oppression of people happened under British and French democracies. Belgium was a semi-parliamentary democracy when king leopold was given the congo and proceeded to murder ten million people. This shouldnt be a shock to you. Also, Israel isnt a liberal democracy it's a racial apartheid colonialist state, big difference.

I understand all this but it's also 2018 and not 1918. This stuff shouldn't be a part of the civilized world in 2018.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 14, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I understand all this but it's also 2018 and not 1918. This stuff shouldn't be a party of the civilized world in 2018.

Sorry but it is, Israel is an inherently uncivilized project of racial and apartheid barbarism from the get go and have been armed, funded and rewarded for that behavior nonstop, there’s literally no incentive for them to change behaviors because they’ve never been punished for it. This is why Israel has to be forced to change into a true one state democracy or completely leave Palestine under the duress of extreme sanctions or force. Which unfortunately aren’t on the table right now, on top of that because the backbone of support for the Palestinians, the Arab people, are currently been defeated and genocided and dehumanized under fascist occupation.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 14, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Wikipedia has a big article on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Gaza_border_protests

Though today's protests are a little different I guess, today is both the Nakba memorial day and of course there's the whole American Embassy move, the protests today were certainly larger than the previous ones with a reported 35,000 protesters showing up.

You gotta admire the flair in choosing to move the embassy on this particular date.

It has to be deliberate.

mcmagic posted:

Israel is pretty much the definition of an ethnocracy. Many notable Israeli scholars, such as Oren Yiftachel or Shlomo Sand recognize it as such.

Israel is only a democracy if you belong to the "right" ethnic group.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Al-Saqr posted:

Sorry but it is, Israel is an inherently uncivilized project of racial and apartheid barbarism from the get go and have been armed, funded and rewarded for that behavior nonstop, there’s literally no incentive for them to change behaviors because they’ve never been punished for it. This is why Israel has to be forced to change into a true one state democracy or completely leave Palestine under the duress of extreme sanctions or force. Which unfortunately aren’t on the table right now, on top of that because the backbone of support for the Palestinians, the Arab people, are currently been defeated and genocided and dehumanized under fascist occupation.

Bingo!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

Edit - I've read there is some gunfire coming from the protestors and Hamas really wants to breach the border. Are they tying to get people shot at this point?

Hamas alone can't muster tens of thousands of civilians to charge into literal loving gunfire from uniformed troops. This is grassroots. And where have you read about the protesters having guns? I haven't seen any mention of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

Hamas alone can't muster tens of thousands of civilians to charge into literal loving gunfire from uniformed troops. This is grassroots. And where have you read about the protesters having guns? I haven't seen any mention of that.

The repated assertion that Gazans are mindless puppets of Hamas is insanely racist too.