Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
When a guy wanted to break into my apartment he just pried it open and broke the sill. A lock is only as good as the opponent’s desire to get past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

If you're one of those people who has three locks on their front door and insists on locking them all, though, you're a paranoid lunatic and you're only inconveniencing yourself and anyone else who has to use that door.

Multiple locks also weaken a door. It takes more time to pick through more locks obviously but less effort to just smash the door in. The point of a lock on a door isn't to make it some impenetrable barrier because it doesn't. Like was just said somebody that really, really wants into your dwelling will get in whether you like it or not. The primary point of security is to slow the people attacking it down rather than stop them entirely. Stopping somebody who wants into something bad enough is literally impossible.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Badger of Basra posted:

1) How many different variations of standard house key are possible? How big does a city have to get before two different buildings have the same key?

There's not just the cut positions on the key, there are lots of different lock manufacturers, and also a lot of different key blanks for each manufacturer. So there probably aren't likely to be the same key under normal scenarios, although maybe a lazy locksmith makes it more likely. There are keys called bumpkeys which have the cuts made the deepest and rely on making the pins in the lock act a bit like a newton's cradle, it's pretty neat.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When does old delinquent debt fall off from your credit report? I’ve read both it’s 7 years from the first month of reported delinquency and last.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
7 years from last activity, so if you wait 6.5 years and then make a single payment on it, it will last another 7 years.

There is a whole science to this stuff, and probably a forum dedicated to it if I knew where to tell you to look.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you get LED bulbs that look like incandescent bulbs? LED bulbs are everywhere now but I hate their cold, sharp light compared to the look of incandescent bulbs for lamps.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You can get "Warm White" ones that are reasonably warm. They're way brighter than incandescent, even when you choose a lumen value close to the equivalent of a 40W bulb. Still not super harsh, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

Can you get LED bulbs that look like incandescent bulbs? LED bulbs are everywhere now but I hate their cold, sharp light compared to the look of incandescent bulbs for lamps.

There are tons of options for appearance, brightness and colour temperature with LED bulbs. You can even get some cheap adjustable ones from ikea that have three temperature options and a bunch of dimming on a remote. I have them in my classroom and they’re actually really awesome and can’t be turned into a botnet since they’re not actually “smart”. A little bit longer than incandescents though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Badger of Basra posted:

1) How many different variations of standard house key are possible? How big does a city have to get before two different buildings have the same key?

I highly recommend a speech Howard Payne and Deviant Ollam gave at Defcon a couple years ago, all about keys and locks. You'll never look at them quite the same way again. Yes, it's long, but the whole thing is well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b9IYqsb_U

My favorite bit is how quite a few cop cars from all over the place all use the exact same key (the 1284X)...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is all very interesting but I still want to know about softball and municipal electric utilities :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

This is all very interesting but I still want to know about softball and municipal electric utilities :colbert:

Water utilities being publicly owned tends to be more common because they've had to be around much longer, and usually came in to fix some major screwup in the old private companies or some manner of terrible fire or epidemic that could have been prevented with a plentiful source of clean water.

Additionally a lot of cities can't be feasibly supplied from right within city boundaries, instead requiring or at least greatly recommending a long and expensive aqueduct/tunnel and reservoir system from outside city bounds. And that level of investment makes it common that it had to be a state project or a project conducted under a regional/city government to get built at all.

So that's why the water utilities. Electric utilities were often assembled hodge-podge out of multiple competing private companies criss crossing each other's lines and running different sorts of power to much smaller sections of the population. And even if they alter got consolidated and bought out by a government entity, they were big candidates for privatization later. Similarly, most of rural America was first electrified by government funds and co-operatives and town/county utilities but decades on the more profitable ones would be privatized for big bucks.

As for softball, it only gained widespread popularity many many decades after professional and semi-pro, almost entirely male, baseball was already well-established. So maybe it had something to do with the talent pool for any serious competition in that whole general type of sport drawing in a bunch more men towards baseball which was already big, thus creating a gender imbalance that eventually made the sport seem "too girly". But really there's not much good info out there on it, and there's plenty of other sports that simply aren't that big once you get past college level play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I checked out a hot springs bathhouse that's been abandoned for close to 100 years last weekend while hiking. In front of the building there is this concrete/brick structure that contains the hot spring (still burning hot! Very cool) and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it.

At first I thought it was kind of an old timey hot tub but it's basically just two feet deep and would be really hard to sit in, and the water is close to boiling so unless the temp has changed and people just stuck their feet in there it doesn't really make sense as anything like that.

Underneath the "floor" of the pool is a much deeper 3x3'ish square pit which you can sort of see in the second pic, and the floor is only about 8 inches thick and just kind of hovers over the deep. There's also old bathtubs dumped into an adjacent pond so my best guess is that they fished hot water out of it to put it in the tubs. I guess my question is why build it like that? I'd also like to know what is growing on top of it.

E: also I should point out that the part on the right goes straight into a pond and seems to be built to do that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 15, 2018

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

veni veni veni posted:

I checked out a hot springs bathhouse that's been abandoned for close to 100 years last weekend while hiking. In front of the building there is this concrete/brick structure that contains the hot spring (still burning hot! Very cool) and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it.

At first I thought it was kind of an old timey hot tub but it's basically just two feet deep and would be really hard to sit in, and the water is close to boiling so unless the temp has changed and people just stuck their feet in there it doesn't really make sense as anything like that.
Hot spring temperatures can fluctuate, which is why it's important to carefully check the water temp before getting in. It's probably not that deep because of how much sediment has been deposited, but they tend to be shallow. The stuff floating in it is algae. Hot springs are able to harbor amoebas, bacteria, and viruses, so you shouldn't dunk your head in one unless it's at a well known establishment.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Some charges came up in my bank account titled CULLABAMA and googling it looks like some sort of phone stuff in spanish. I'm honestly not sure how my card could have been compromised. What all should I do to begin with? Obviously I'm going to the bank and canceling the card. I'm not hugely tech savvy so anyone able to point me in the right direction?

e: an app popped up installed on my phone called 5th edition character sheet the other day. I had assumed I just somehow had play store open and butt downloaded it fwiw. Also I had an email from steam the other day about someone trying to log into my account and it wanted a code. Perhaps they got in that way somehow and got my card info from steam? I changed my password, guess I should change passwords to most other places as well to be safe.

e2: scanned pc with malware bytes, nothing detected but a "potentially unwated program" some sort of graphics driver stuff, didn't seem malicious.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 15, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There is a document I want to work on at home on my main computer but also on my laptop while I'm at work. It's a script I'm editing and is about 300 pages. I'm trying to use Google Docs but... I don't understand why, but it's slow as gently caress. It seems to re-save the file every single keypress, and each save seems to take five or more seconds. I don't know that that's what's happening but it feels like it's that way. Girlfriend says she says Google Docs gets laggy with big files, but that can't be right, right? What do you guys use to work on large documents cloudly?

Edit: Thanks guys. Well, an easy solution was just to copy+paste it into a WordPad document, then copy+paste it back when I'm packing up for the day. Google, why are you so goddamn

credburn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 15, 2018

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

credburn posted:

There is a document I want to work on at home on my main computer but also on my laptop while I'm at work. It's a script I'm editing and is about 300 pages. I'm trying to use Google Docs but... I don't understand why, but it's slow as gently caress. It seems to re-save the file every single keypress, and each save seems to take five or more seconds. I don't know that that's what's happening but it feels like it's that way. Girlfriend says she says Google Docs gets laggy with big files, but that can't be right, right? What do you guys use to work on large documents cloudly?

I've not used it for any big docs but yeah, it saves after every key press. Maybe if you save a copy locally to your Google Drive folder it would speed it up. You can use Office online too for free, that might be better. Or if you have Office licenses on both machines, OneDrive seems to work pretty well for me (again, with smaller document sizes).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

I’ve never worked with a google doc longer than 100 pages or so, and those were fine. You could try working on it in offline mode where it’s all cached into chrome and then reuploads the cached version when you reconnect.

You can also just convert it to a word doc and use Dropbox or google drive to keep the thing synced. Just sucks if you forget to save and close the doc on one of the computers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Some charges came up in my bank account titled CULLABAMA and googling it looks like some sort of phone stuff in spanish. I'm honestly not sure how my card could have been compromised. What all should I do to begin with? Obviously I'm going to the bank and canceling the card. I'm not hugely tech savvy so anyone able to point me in the right direction?
I'd start by contacting your bank and explaining the whole situation to them. They'll probably be able to advise you on what to do.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: an app popped up installed on my phone called 5th edition character sheet the other day. I had assumed I just somehow had play store open and butt downloaded it fwiw. Also I had an email from steam the other day about someone trying to log into my account and it wanted a code. Perhaps they got in that way somehow and got my card info from steam? I changed my password, guess I should change passwords to most other places as well to be safe.

e2: scanned pc with malware bytes, nothing detected but a "potentially unwated program" some sort of graphics driver stuff, didn't seem malicious.

Tell your bank that you have a fraudulent charge on your account and the wheels will start turning. You'll get a new card and if your bank is worth its salt they'll get you a refund.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Are there many languages as idiom-heavy as informal English, or is it unusual in that regard?

Obviously, lots (most? all?) languages have idioms, but I was just thinking about how many idiomatic expressions I use and hear over the course of an average day, and I wondered how familiar or foreign that is to English Language Learners. So many of English idioms are pre-20th Century in origin and refer to obsolete practices, too ("putting the cart before the horse," "hold your horses!", "throwing the baby out with the bathwater," etc.). We also abbreviate a lot of the expressions (like "...then I was really up poo poo creek, so I..." instead of saying the full "up the [poo poo] creek without a paddle"). This seems like it would be a bitch to learn how to employ and comprehend, especially if one's own native language doesn't rely on idioms as much.

E: ^^^ Ha, perfect examples:

dupersaurus posted:

wheels will start turning [...and especially] worth its salt

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 15, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Are there many languages as idiom-heavy as informal English, or is it unusual in that regard?

Obviously, lots (most? all?) languages have idioms, but I was just thinking about how many idiomatic expressions I use and hear over the course of an average day, and I wondered how familiar or foreign that is to English Language Learners. So many of English idioms are pre-20th Century in origin and refer to obsolete practices, too ("putting the cart before the horse," "hold your horses!", "throwing the baby out with the bathwater," etc.). We also abbreviate a lot of the expressions (like "...then I was really up poo poo creek, so I..." instead of saying the full "up the [poo poo] creek without a paddle"). This seems like it would be a bitch to learn how to employ and comprehend, especially if one's own native language doesn't rely on idioms as much.

Both French and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese) are certainly very idiomatic. But English probably has the widest variety of idioms. I don't know if there's much useful evidence out there on how frequently they are deployed in everyday speech between languages though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have no idea who/where to ask this question, so here goes:
Who owns the SA smilies? I want to make a :rip: lapel pin, but I would need to make a largish batch, which means some to sell.
I don’t want to piss anyone off though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just give a kickback to ol Tax. He could use some extra dosh

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Rabbit Hill posted:

A few interesting and non-textbooky books that sort of relate to this subject are I Is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How It Shapes the Way We See the World and Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages, if anybody is curious.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I want to do cost estimates in google docs (not google sheets). If I do a table, is there any way to SUM a bunch of numbers? Is there any way to do simple addition in google docs?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just give a kickback to ol Tax. He could use some extra dosh

That sounds fair, thank you!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

photomikey posted:

I want to do cost estimates in google docs (not google sheets). If I do a table, is there any way to SUM a bunch of numbers? Is there any way to do simple addition in google docs?

A spreadsheet is the right tool for that, so I think the closest you're going to get is embedding a google spreadsheet inside your google doc.

https://www.prolificoaktree.com/cloud-software/53-embed-a-google-spreadsheet-into-a-google-document

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In metallurgy/blacksmithing, what's the difference between tempering, annealing and normalising? They all seem to be heat treatments where you heat up the piece and then cool it slowly, in order to make the piece less brittle/hard and more flexible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Annealing - heat it to above recrystallisation temperature, holding it there for a few hours, then allow it to cool inside the furnace. So heating to very hot, holding at that heat, and then lowering the furnace temp gradually. Used to improve ductility and strength.

Normalising - heat it to above recrystallisation temperature, holding it there for a few hours, then allow it to cool outside the furnace, at room temp. Similar effect to tempering, but less advanced.

Quenching - heat it to above recrystallisation temperature, then reduce temperature rapidly by introducing to a water or oil bath. Increases hardness at the expense of some brittleness.

Tempering - heat it to below recrystallisation temperature and hold it there for a few hours. Used to reduce internal stress in the metal.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

Annealing - heat it to above recrystallisation temperature, holding it there for a few hours, then allow it to cool inside the furnace. So heating to very hot, holding at that heat, and then lowering the furnace temp gradually. Used to improve ductility and strength.

Normalising - heat it to above recrystallisation temperature, holding it there for a few hours, then allow it to cool outside the furnace, at room temp. Similar effect to tempering, but less advanced.

Quenching - heat it to above recrystallisation temperature, then reduce temperature rapidly by introducing to a water or oil bath. Increases hardness at the expense of some brittleness.

Tempering - heat it to below recrystallisation temperature and hold it there for a few hours. Used to reduce internal stress in the metal.

Cool! So what does reducing the internal stress do for you, in tempering? Reduces brittleness? So you quench to get hard and brittle steel, then temper to reduce brittleness?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do you know about the Prince Rupert's Drop experiment? Quench a glob of molten glass in water, and the outside surface cools much faster than the inside. This means the outside is extremely hard, but if you snap the tail of the drop, the whole thing shatters explosively. I think this video is at 100k frames per second, and shows the glass coming apart at close to the speed of sound.

https://i.imgur.com/eWhdH3e.mp4

Residual or internal stresses are where the metal wants to push against itself inside its structure, which can cause it to fail prematurely. There's a picture going around of a roll-formed piece of steel that has been cut lengthwise, where one part of it has started to peel back due to residual stresses inside the metal.

Depending on your application, you might use some or all of the methods of heating then cooling to change the internal structure of the metal. Tool steel wants to be very hard and resistant to wear - depending on the type of steel you use you would probably anneal, quench then temper it.

I'm no expert but I've actually just signed up for an introductory blacksmithing course, where over the space of 4 weeks we will make a knife out of bar stock and learn the (very) basic level of smithing. I've been reading up on it because it's pretty interesting stuff.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rad. I should see if there are any such courses near me, I'd be really into that too.

What resources are you are you reading up from? I've read The New Science of Strong Materials (or: Why You Don't Fall Through The Floor) and really liked it, and would like to read more

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I'd start by contacting your bank and explaining the whole situation to them. They'll probably be able to advise you on what to do.

Yeah I did that of course. I guess I was mostly just wondering what should I do to prevent it. Obviously change my password to every site I use. Do I really need to fully wipe my PC? I haven't done much shady poo poo with it, the few shows I've downloaded came off a private tracker(although I know that's no guarantee) and that's all I can think of as far as shady activities. Didn't myfitnesspal get hacked a while back? I have an account on there, maybe it shared a email/password with some other site and they somehow pulled my card info that way? Either way I'm going to watch my bank account like a hawk and keep only what I actually need in that account. My savings doesn't have any cards or anything linked to it, so I assume it's more secure but I don't know a lot about this sort of thing which is why I posted.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
That metallurgy talk is pretty cool. Is that New Science of Strong Materials book a good layperson resource?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

That metallurgy talk is pretty cool. Is that New Science of Strong Materials book a good layperson resource?

I'm a layperson, so I'd say so! :D

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

If you want a more academic resource that’s fairly exhaustive, the most common undergrad Materials Science text is “Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering” by Callister.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Cool! So what does reducing the internal stress do for you, in tempering? Reduces brittleness? So you quench to get hard and brittle steel, then temper to reduce brittleness?

These two videos demonstrate what heat treating does. The first is the short version, the second is the first being made and includes shots of what the steel looks like after being broken in each of the tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQ4y0LK1kY&t=114s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufeyD-Rohs0&t=358s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, you know those old Ultima style multiple choice moral character tests? They're kind of like the Voight-Kompf test about seeing a tortoise in the desert.

Something like this:

You come upon a starving man. Do you:

A) Feed him
B) Kick him
C) Eat him
D) Flee from him

This is a dumb example, but I guess it explains what I'm talking about? Anyway, my problem here is that these are a kind of thematically specific questions, something that I think could be categorized, but I have no idea how they might be categorized. I'm working on a silly card game and I need a slew of these to test out the general theory of the game's mechanics. Is there an online place where some of these things might be stored? Like, a repository of these? I feel like some people might classify them as riddles.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why do people say they're humbled by things that would do the opposite? Like "I'm humbled by this massive response" when a nonexistent response would be what would actually humble them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a reason they call it a humblebrag. They want to brag but realize it comes across as bragging so they say they’re humbled to deflect from that.