Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It takes basically nothing to build the first ship. So I dont know. Mine a few nodes for metal and you get the 1 shard. Then you need frame, helm, sail, atlas, respawner (optional).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Comrayn posted:

This looks like it could be kind of cool if it played like Sea of Thieves: airships but you have to build your own ships instead of just getting a free ship every time you spawn. The trailer looks pretty janky though.

The game still has lag/hitching issues that they're slowly resolving, but isn't that basically what this game is going to be as soon as they add in treasure stuff?

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Wish they’d hurry up and add treasure then instead of wasting time with this stupid radio that nobody will use.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
figures that goons cant see how useful it could be to talk to people in a video game. calm down with your five-monitor geforce 1080 ti battlestations and eight open irc clients :cripes:

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 14, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Most people will probably just use discord

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Most people will probably just use discord

Yeah that’s my point, everyone who plays with others uses discord because you’re always gonna be able to talk to that each other, even if you don’t have a radio or aren’t at your ship.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

BurtLington posted:

Yeah that’s my point, everyone who plays with others uses discord because you’re always gonna be able to talk to that each other, even if you don’t have a radio or aren’t at your ship.

Note that you also have to actually walk up to the radio and use it to send messages. Maybe even to read them? It's a lot of hassle to get worse results than something that already exists.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Unless they go the SS13 route and make external voice chat bannable, in which case lmao

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

figures that goons cant see how useful it could be to talk to people in a video game. calm down with your five-monitor geforce 1080 ti battlestations and eight open irc clients :cripes:

Blazing, the problem is that we can't use it to harass pubbies, only talk to ourselves.. If I could blast horrible music to other ships in a decent radius without their permission, sign me up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty sure they said that because of how servers work in this game there won't be any voice chat

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This is a pretty reassuring blog post. It looks like they're in it for the long haul.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/may-17th-the-horizon/

quote:

May 17th date establishes a different pace of change for the game, one that will see our team more capable to deliver on the features that form our long roadmap. We have never had a larger or more competent team than we do now, setting the stage for what’s to come and a better game with every new update. This date is not a destination, but the start of a journey that will see us releasing long-awaited systems such as the revamped Alliances and its tools, territory control, in-island puzzles, better server boundary crossing (no more elastic bands on the ships!) and so on, and each one of these will inch the game further towards its vision.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:siren: Surprise! New map actually starts one day early! :siren:

Bossa posted:

Servers will be down from 12-3pm BST tomorrow, as we prep for our Early Access Launch on May 17th.

The world will be wiped, but… At 3pm, we’ll be launching 0.2.0 along with a new map, featuring the long-awaited KIOKI ISLANDS!!
For americans that means new map is up at 7am pst and 10am est

I'm guessing they are giving us a head start just to cover their rear end - some last minute crunch before EA in case 2.0 has any gamebreaking bugs

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Jackard make sure to get to T2 before I login so I can just skip T1. TIA

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

servers are up it looks like.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Are any of the two higher tier founder packs cool enough to get? I got the $35 one.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fuckin airborne bitches

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
There is no "US East" server???

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

queeb posted:

fuckin airborne bitches

But does it have a creepy old man head?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

New trailer! It's going to be in game eventually too which should help set the tone for new players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGpW5ZGfzw&t=1s

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Do people still play this?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After a year away I tried and the worst bugs and jank is still there.

Would say save your money unless they perform a miracle and add some actual content and fixes

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got the $35 one and I'm... eh. I mean it's cool and unique but janky as gently caress and rubber band laggy. And I haven't had an airship battle yet. It's definitely not mmo guns of icarus, which i was kinda hoping for. Oh well.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its mmo wind waker

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm the giant squid

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

barkbell posted:

its mmo wind waker

it is, and that's pretty good. chill until someone wants to murder you.

i'm the bigass bird.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Raged posted:

After a year away I tried and the worst bugs and jank is still there.

Would say save your money unless they perform a miracle and add some actual content and fixes

vandalism posted:

I got the $35 one and I'm... eh. I mean it's cool and unique but janky as gently caress and rubber band laggy. And I haven't had an airship battle yet. It's definitely not mmo guns of icarus, which i was kinda hoping for. Oh well.

You guys need to upgrade your 486 dx2 66mhz PCs. There is basically no lag for me and I've been thrown off the ship only once thus far. What bugs?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

What's the deal with the performance in this game? Got it over the weekend and when I'm on an island typical performance is in the 15fps range, even though my processor and video card aren't maxed out. I've got a gtx970 and an I5 3570k that can handle most things fine. Lowering the graphics preset doesn't seem to have any effect.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
If your in a T1 zone with 500 other people it's likely server side physics tracking. There are storms now which clean areas but it's not all the time and I would imagine the number of new players is far exceeding the storm frequency. Basically there are 100 ships you can't see in the abyss.

Edit: when you get to later zones aka not the starter areas this goes away. But agreed it's not the best way to show the game to new people.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I'm not an MMO programmer but how the hell does the server-side physics calculations affect the client display performance?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

This is a quote from Project Gorgon (mmo) lead dev talking a bit about how sausage is made there:

quote:

But sometimes players DO notice, because their performance gets really bad. Why? What's happening? Well, that's a funny story. You see, there's a very fancy redundant system: when a monster needs to move but the sub-server is gone, the main server says "no problem. I'll just deputize a random player to do the work." It randomly chooses a nearby player and makes their game client perform the calculations to move the monsters! This is a powerful tool that we use internally during development and testing. And I figured, why not use it as an emergency backup system in the live game? It's not really much of a security risk to have a random client drive a random monster for a few seconds at a random moment. So what's the down side?

If your machine is a beast, like our development machines are, there's no real down side -- the overhead is unnoticeable. But if your machine is running near its capacity, even a little bit of extra work can drop your performance into the pits. And when there's only one player in an area (like when you're the only person in a big dungeon), that player's client gets tasked with moving ALL the active monsters nearby, which can be way too much CPU load for lower-end machines. If there's lots of players around, the work is spread between them randomly, which results in less CPU cost for each player, but can cause latency problems. If you ever see a monster "rubberbanding" (zooming around between several locations) it's usually because some player with a terrible ping has been tasked with driving the monster.

Now this isn't related to how they do things in Worlds Adrift with their revolutionary SpatialOS, but I sure would like to know the answer myself. Maybe part of physics calculations are unloaded on nearby players?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Everything is calculated server side. It's pretty simple. You can't have me saying I'm over here but your client saying your there also. So the server must track every object.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Strotski posted:

This is a quote from Project Gorgon (mmo) lead dev talking a bit about how sausage is made there:

Now this isn't related to how they do things in Worlds Adrift with their revolutionary SpatialOS, but I sure would like to know the answer myself. Maybe part of physics calculations are unloaded on nearby players?

None of it is unloaded on nearby players with SpatialOS -- it is all done serverside. The tech behind SpatialOS really is pretty insane, and tbh I think that the way it is being used rn in Worlds Adrift and similar games is almost more of a tech demo than anything else. Their real end game is more improving their tech for doing simulations of anything on a massive scale, and MMOs just happen to be a good initial use case for this/way to learn more about how to do it. Normally dinky little MMOs like World's Adrift aren't using new server infrastructure being funded to the tune of like half a billion dollars by major tech investors, but in this case they are. https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2017/05/11/uk-start-up-improbable-raises-massive-500-million-series-b-from-softbank/#6cc1e2b2db99

I think what forge is saying is that maybe Bossa programmed stuff such that your client is actually having to model/display a lot of hidden ships, even though they aren't actually in view. Some sort of optimization issue like that makes sense to me.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

a_good_username posted:

I think what forge is saying is that maybe Bossa programmed stuff such that your client is actually having to model/display a lot of hidden ships, even though they aren't actually in view. Some sort of optimization issue like that makes sense to me.
Wouldn't that theoretically mean a really easy way to make a radar if that was the case? I don't know anything about it, just sounds like it'd be that.
All I could find on a subject

In any case this is a really interesting tech, some of the tech demos shown like "SURVIVAL" has a lot of potential for mmos.
Wish they were a bit transparent on how it all works in relation to worlds adrift but I can understand why they aren't.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
You can't radar because your client doesn't know about objects outside of your view range. This is pretty easy to figure out by playing and seeing a ship load in. However the server still needs to track you, them, and every plank of wood you have. When objects fall to the bottom of the world they sit down there and the server still has to track that even know you don't know about it. This puts imo a huge cpu strain on the server side. It's why T1 is somewhat laggy sometimes. I went into T1 last night and honestly it wasn't really laggy imo like some of the past betas. So I can easily see the storm improvements working.

Edit: I understand a certain population here comes and checks WA out from time to time. As someone whos played it at least to see what improvements were made each patch. The server side tech has come light years from where it was 2 years ago. The lag is all but gone, and while there are still some bugs with the physics and some lag when you have 1000+ noobs dieing and losing ships every 3 minutes. It really is in a good place now. They just need more content which seems to be coming soon (tm).

forge fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 22, 2018

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm thinking about picking this up today, but from what I've read - getting my poo poo stomped by bored vets while I try to build my first ship is an issue, kind causing some indecisiveness on purchasing for me. Though the idea of having a ship to fly around and fight people does sound super fun.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 22, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
It’s not that bad. The real danger is actually other noobies that don’t have many materials that might shoot you in the back for like 400 lead. Because lol if you think when I started back up I didn’t just shoot every unsuspecting player and take their resources.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Vets dont gently caress around in low tiers, they head straight for endgame because they know how everything works. Low tiers are still a little crazy from the newbies and scrubs though.

E: Like this loser.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 22, 2018

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Strotski posted:

Wouldn't that theoretically mean a really easy way to make a radar if that was the case? I don't know anything about it, just sounds like it'd be that.
All I could find on a subject

In any case this is a really interesting tech, some of the tech demos shown like "SURVIVAL" has a lot of potential for mmos.
Wish they were a bit transparent on how it all works in relation to worlds adrift but I can understand why they aren't.

Yea you’re right, I misunderstood what forge was saying. Sameeeee- a lot of it is pretty similar to or based on tech used in finance but that’s not any more transparent.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

barkbell posted:

It’s not that bad. The real danger is actually other noobies that don’t have many materials that might shoot you in the back for like 400 lead. Because lol if you think when I started back up I didn’t just shoot every unsuspecting player and take their resources.

It's not that bad, *proceeds to describe himself doing exactly the behavior the previous poster was worried about* Great community this game has.

Honestly it hasn't been too bad for me starting out, had an exciting attempted skyjacking and a few random dicks shooting me for the hundred wood or whatever I had just collected. I just don't know if I can power through the next couple hours of grind at 15fps, it's really killer in a physics based game where you're commonly one step away from death. If I had been spawncamped, or had my dumb tiny ship blown up, at any point I would already be done with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I shot a man with my starting pistol. Any newbie could do it. I didn’t roll in with 60 power engines and cannons and blow the hell out of any populated starting island you mong