Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

also I wish star fox was dead its had like one good game

Yeah star fox adventures was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/RAGEgame/status/996030473909555201

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tomato adventure legit owns because it's made by the same devs as mario & luigi and you can see like the exact same style used for the bean bean kingdom in superstar saga

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All this Star Fox reaching really just makes me hope the new Sumo Digital Sonic Racing game turns out good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the jpn covers for the Mario and Luigi games are so good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like when the ten-ten in katakana are like pokeballs or the mario and luigi bean here. very cute

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kind of feel bad for Cliffy

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/996092708971274245

Radical Heights like literally just came out right, jesus what a bomb

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yikes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Radical Heights, which was well received

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It was well received, for a game by Cliffy B's studio.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well that was quick.

Was he expecting Radical Heights to make Fortnite money overnight in the state it came out?

Maybe he could get a job at 22Cans.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cliffy b needs to grovel for his job at epic back and never interact with press again

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

jesus christ lmao

Whoever was working there should have jumped ship the moment Lawbreakers became a huge flop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

jesus christ lmao

Whoever was working there should have jumped ship the moment Lawbreakers became a huge flop
oh yeah sure cliffy I'll get started on your uh 80s game show battle royale game sounds cool *waits for cliffyb to leave the room then alt-tabs to delete boss key studios from resume*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Gooooood loving riddance. The game industry needs less egomaniacs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny how much him claiming Radical Heights was well received sours me on that statement. Like he doesn't have to come out and admit that it was a widely mocked laughing stock but it just makes him seem like he has learned absolutely nothing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe “well received” is his way of saying “the games press did an impressive job of ripping into it.”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also how hard is it to post a dramatic statement without typos?

I said come in! posted:

Epic needs to finish up their new Unreal Tournament already, that still has a lot of work left on it.
Wow, last I heard about that was that they were trying to convince/trick the community to develop it for them like five years ago.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 14, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

He needs to just go back to being a level designer for first person shooters. Epic needs to finish up their new Unreal Tournament already, that still has a lot of work left on it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope that the employees that CliffyB complained about Epic poaching made it out safely

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DLC Inc posted:

Alright, time for Cliffy's triumphant return to SA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Wow, last I heard about that was that they were trying to convince/trick the community to develop it for them like five years ago.

Epic has abandoned all of their other projects in favor of Fortnite. Nothing else is being updated.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my only Clifford B opinion is that for a bit there he was talking with his followers about when and how they lost their virginity and that's super loving weird imo

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Real hurthling! posted:

Cliffy b needs to grovel for his job at epic back and never interact with press again

He originally left because Epic was unwilling to make shooters like Lawbreakers or even games like Gears of War. If Cliff goes back there, he'll be working on games like Fortnite.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Think of all the time, effort, and money (including the lingering server costs) that Radical Heights wasted when Cliffy B should have immediately downscaled his whole ops once LawBreakers hit its double-digit simultaneous player count.

It's also very funny to me that there must have been a board meeting where Boss Key's tanking financials must have been a key issue and the fix was to release a rough draft of a game and hope enough people get suckered into paying money for bare-bones cosmetics that you can keep the lights on.

Wikipedia posted:

After 20 years with the company, Cliff announced his departure from Epic Games on October 3, 2012, saying he had been making video games since he was a teen and wanted to take a break.[19][20] According to a 2015 interview, his original intention was to retire permanently. "It was a combination of gamers feeling jaded, as well as working with some very talented people who were also very jaded," Bleszinski told Destructoid. "I could pitch the most amazing idea to anybody back when I was at Epic toward the end, and they'd be like 'I don't buy it,'" he further added.[21]
"The most amazing idea" being whatever's hot on the market but with the serial numbers filed off.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

jesus christ lmao

Cliffy was complaining about Epic poaching his staff so this is basically what happened.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb7Ymb9dUQk

RIP Cliffy :patriot:

I'll try to remember you for the UT99 maps and not the 15+ years of bullshit that came after.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

He needs to just go back to being a level designer for first person shooters. Epic needs to finish up their new Unreal Tournament already, that still has a lot of work left on it.

No updates since June of last year. :negative:

I really liked whatever versions I played of it, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ceyton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb7Ymb9dUQk

RIP Cliffy :patriot:

I'll try to remember you for the UT99 maps and not the 15+ years of bullshit that came after.

Thanks for inspiring ten years of rooms full of waist-high obstacles

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if maybe lawbreakers would've done ok if it was marketed by someone less annoying

like wasn't he going around saying overwatch was an anime game for casuals or something

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Radical Heights seemed like it maybe could have been a good idea if the studio had worked on that initially instead of Lawbreakers.

Cliffy's from the old days of dial-up and Lowtax working on PlanetQuake, that 90s RADUKILL poo poo doesn't fly anymore. People like personality; look at Battle Royale and the game with a colorful world and characters in trendy clothes doing goofy poo poo is the one that's king. The game that is aimed at sweaty hardcore PVP with the most bland dull-rear end world imaginable, and graphics straight out of 2006 DICE was quickly overthrown. RH was more of the former than the latter, maybe it could have had a chance if it wasn't a last minute desperation rear end-grab.

Lawbreakers looked like more faux-punk/grunge bullshit from the age when you bought video games that were designed to annoy your parents. People could have seen a mile away that it wouldn't work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if maybe lawbreakers would've done ok if it was marketed by someone less annoying

like wasn't he going around saying overwatch was an anime game for casuals or something

The market for an Overwatch competitor is in making it more anime, not less, imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

People just weren't ready for... the Dark Souls of first-person shooters

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sunning posted:

If Cliff goes back there, he'll be working on games like Fortnite.

a big downgrade from the quality he's been slaving over, i'm sure

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fortnite was successful because it’s free to play and targeted at children, not because of “personality” lol they have a straight up John Wick ripoff in there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

He didn’t badmouth Overwatch exactly but he looked at everything that made it extremely accessible to people outside the team shooter genre and took the direct opposite approach while adopting some laughably outdated XXXtreme Gamerz Only marketing tactic.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taintrunner posted:

Fortnite was successful because it’s free to play and targeted at children, not because of “personality” lol they have a straight up John Wick ripoff in there

Fortnite is overflowing with personality compared to PUBG, though.

Again, I can't poo poo on the PUBG aesthetic enough. It's basically just Unreal Pre-Fab Demo Assets as a game.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It stinks for the random people working at Boss Key that they're now jobless but I got a feeling Cliffy B is doing just fine himself and can now go retire in his mid 40s.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean, he's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The trick is to call players of your own game casual, not players of other games

• Locked thread