Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google becoming microsoft faster then we imagined, adopting meaningless branding when they can't think of anything better

quote:

That’s why we’re introducing Google One, a simple plan for expanded storage that includes extra benefits to help you get more out of Google. In the next few months, all paid consumer Google Drive storage plans will be upgraded to Google One. This change doesn’t affect G Suite business customers.
More space, smarter options

With Google One, we’ve upgraded our paid storage plans so you’ll have all the space you need for your Google Drive, Gmail, and original quality photos and videos in Google Photos. With lots of options, ranging from 100GB to 30TB, you can choose the plan that’s right for you.
Access to Google experts, plus extra benefits

People who use a lot of storage tend to use a lot of other Google products, too. So with Google One you get one-tap access to experts for help with our consumer products and services. Plus, you’ll gain access to extras from other Google products, like credits on Google Play or deals on select hotels found in Google Search. And we’ll be adding more benefits over time.
basically two of their plans are cheaper and there might be some form of user-facing help system

FMguru posted:

being an sfpd officer always struck me as a very relaxing way to make a living

most of the time sure, but every once in a while you need to drunk drive your lambo through the broadway tunnel at 100 and post it on facebook

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
so now, instead of running Google drive on your computer to sync with your Google drive, you'll run drive file stream to sync with your Google one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

that's probably good though? arrest rates don't tell you anything about the legitimacy of the arrest

overall reported crime rates are probably a better indication of whether the cops are doing their job (deterring crime)

give em bicycles

huh, just noticed that this is google thread, not sure how it became cop thread

give em the google cycles those clowns leave around their campus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

that's probably good though? arrest rates don't tell you anything about the legitimacy of the arrest

overall reported crime rates are probably a better indication of whether the cops are doing their job (deterring crime)

funny you should mention, because sf is also one of the most dangerous places in america

violent crime and property crime rates are both off the charts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

funny you should mention, because sf is also one of the most dangerous places in america

i can't find figures for the bay area as a whole, but san francisco doesn't even crack the top 30 american cities.

oakland is #6 though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what

there's lots of car break-ins but if you stay out of bayview [which is easy] you'll be fine unless you're trying to score something at turk & taylor at 3am, according to wikipedia sf is safer than minneapolis

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

google becoming microsoft faster then we imagined, adopting meaningless branding when they can't think of anything better

basically two of their plans are cheaper and there might be some form of user-facing help system
they named the third storage client google one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anthonypants posted:

they named the third storage client google one

when you see it you turn one degree and walk away

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

shoulder checks google

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

there's lots of car break-ins but if you stay out of bayview [which is easy] you'll be fine unless you're trying to score something at turk & taylor at 3am, according to wikipedia sf is safer than minneapolis

minneapolis is not a safe place

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah if you're a white woman or a gun owner the cops might shoot you

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

qirex posted:

when you see it you turn one radianand walk away

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OldAlias posted:

shoulder checks google

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google has officially announced youtube music, a product that competes with google play music. if you want to keep the features you currently pay $10 for, you have to pay $12.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/05/16/youtube-music-premium-subscription-google-play-music/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

i want to take away the policemen's cars

cops hide in their cars and only talk to people when there's something bad going down. instead make them walk a beat, so they interact with people on a regular basis in a normal context. "hi officer, how are you" "oh pretty good, nice day today innit?" etc. both the policemen and the populace will benefit

peelism isn't perfect but it's a drat sight better than what we've got now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

google has officially announced youtube music, a product that competes with google play music. if you want to keep the features you currently pay $10 for, you have to pay $12.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/05/16/youtube-music-premium-subscription-google-play-music/

quote:

The new service arrives Tuesday in U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and South Korea.

yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
am i way out of line in thinking 'youtube' as a brand is kinda loving trash?

like my overall feeling about it is that there's some good things on there but it's mostly hoooooorrrriiblle loving garbage and everything about how youtube gets managed encourages it to get worse

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google is taking the microsoft approach of appending their product that's least-hated by everyone's name to everything else a la xbox

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

what the gently caress? how is this company so badly mismanaged that they keep doing this?

AtomD posted:

like my overall feeling about it is that there's some good things on there but it's mostly hoooooorrrriiblle loving garbage and everything about how youtube gets managed encourages it to get worse

for kids it is the default site for online entertainment and music playback. for people who can pay for Spotify and Netflix it’s mostly garbage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

what the gently caress? how is this company so badly mismanaged that they keep doing this?

*apparently* if you switch from google play music (which includes youtube red) to youtube red (which includes google play music), you will be grandfathered into the current $10 price when youtube red becomes youtube music. if you're on the grandfathered $8 google play music, you're gonna be paying $2-4 more to retain the features you currently have.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

im lovin it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AtomD posted:

thats why i'm onboard with twitch Kappa

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
so I need to cancel my Google music and sign up for YouTube red now? does Red have a family plan? Google says "nothing will change if you're a GPM subscriber" but that is almost definitely bullshit. I am so confused and I hate that my life is a kafkaesque maze of nightmares

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just cancel it and embrace the easy, unencumbered life of a criminal, op

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rapeface posted:

so I need to cancel my Google music and sign up for YouTube red now? does Red have a family plan? Google says "nothing will change if you're a GPM subscriber" but that is almost definitely bullshit. I am so confused and I hate that my life is a kafkaesque maze of nightmares

Youtube red already is a superset of Google music features.

Gpm isn't getting discontinued for another couple years.

Endless Mike posted:

google has officially announced youtube music, a product that competes with google play music.

In the same way that the 2018 Ford explorer competes with the 2015 Ford explorer lol.

gpm is now deprecated but will be around a bit as they start the other thing

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
GPM had the worst client ever, good riddance.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fishmech posted:

In the same way that the 2018 Ford explorer competes with the 2015 Ford explorer lol.

gpm is now deprecated but will be around a bit as they start the other thing

this is pretty weak from u fishmech. are you having a rough day?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

just cancel it and embrace the easy, unencumbered life of a criminal, op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

Gpm isn't getting discontinued for another couple years.

meaning you can probably wait at least until when Android Listen, 6 months after its release, gets replaced by ChromeTunes before you upgrade from google music

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lambert posted:

GPM had the worst client ever, good riddance.

what? its fine, and it's generally been more consistent than youtube

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jenny Agutter posted:

what? its fine, and it's generally been more consistent than youtube
agree

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

meaning you can probably wait at least until when Android Listen, 6 months after its release, gets replaced by ChromeTunes before you upgrade from google music

ondroid

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I use GPM to upload and stream my collection of music because yes, I still buy CDs and yes I am too cheap to pay :10bux: a month to listen to stuff that I already paid for years ago.

don’t know yet what I will do after the inevitable death of GPM.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised you can tolerate that given the habit of GPM to swap those songs out with live/alternative versions

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

we now bring you to the sound of 15,000 idiots shrieking over the sound of a band playing a song, while a singer 300 yards away breathlessly yells the lyrics, out-of-time, into a rolled-up newspaper

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

AtomD posted:

nasim aghdam did nothing wrong

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lancemantis posted:

I'm surprised you can tolerate that given the habit of GPM to swap those songs out with live/alternative versions

that has never happened to me. perhaps you are confusing google play music with Apple music, which is well known for substituting in censored versions of songs?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Yeah, hasn’t happened to me either.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Apple music, which is well known for substituting in censored versions of songs?

lom*rf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Jenny Agutter posted:

Apple music, which is well known for substituting in censored versions of songs?
the fact that I can set apple music to only ever play clean versions of songs makes it a killer app for me

• Locked thread