Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

NachtSieger posted:

tag yourself im sensual broken

unnecessary Hallow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I agree with not making such things go looking for the PCs, but there's still the case where the PCs go looking for them. I can make them fail to find or reach them as many times as I want I suppose, but that's pretty unsatisfying for them. The only way to absolutely prevent it is to not introduce any even vaguely antagonistic entity anywhere in the universe until they can kill it, which is... an odd narrative constraint to apply because you want to resolve combat with a grid.
I mean if your players are going looking for a fight & know where to go to find it, and you tell them "uh guys that will murder you on its way to doing whatever it wants and it won't even slow down to do it" but they still go for it, then they got what they asked for I guess? :shrug: I disagree that there isn't a gradient between "absolute predesigned sandbox, PCs can get hosed up if they step in the wrong zone" and "PCs never fight anything that could threaten their lives" because there absolutely is. Like, if your players want to fight Ancalagon but they have only just left the Shire, maybe have them fight some minions of his, lieutenants and the like, before finding just where the father of drakes lives. Make a campaign out of it; character goals don't always need to be realized in two sessions.

Serf
May 5, 2011

when i ran unfair enemies in Strike i just told the players that the enemy couldn’t be defeated by normal means and gave them an alternate objective or means of victory

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I agree with not making such things go looking for the PCs, but there's still the case where the PCs go looking for them. I can make them fail to find or reach them as many times as I want I suppose, but that's pretty unsatisfying for them. The only way to absolutely prevent it is to not introduce any even vaguely antagonistic entity anywhere in the universe until they can kill it, which is... an odd narrative constraint to apply because you want to resolve combat with a grid.

I had a GM once directly tell the group when we wanted to fight something we weren't meant to, "Seriously, guys, if you try to fight the minotaur right now, you're gonna die in no time flat. All the NPCs are running like hell from this thing and you should be doing the same". A lot of players are gonna chafe at that (we sure did) so it's not a great solution for every group, but it is a thing that GMs do sometimes and can be a valid part of a particular play style.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can understand a world where not everything is leveled to be appropriate for the players to fight at any time, but if you have set in stone statblocks for monsters, and the players want to do something that is absolutely going to kill them, why would you let them do it?!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can understand a world where not everything is leveled to be appropriate for the players to fight at any time, but if you have set in stone statblocks for monsters, and the players want to do something that is absolutely going to kill them, why would you let them do it?!
I mean, if you're doing a full sandbox, it's because that's what they expect you to do, and the kind of game they want to play.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

I'm Unnecessary Hollow

EDIT:

Elfgames posted:

unnecessary Hallow

Fukt

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Fellowship's Set Pieces address this problem in a cool way- some large monsters like giant stone collossi or spider-tanks aren't treated as enemies per se so much as a collection of parts that all have to be dealt with before the threat can be taken down.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 14, 2018

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

DalaranJ posted:

You're talking about MDA framework, but you're using jargon incorrectly. You should go read about MDA framework.

Edit: To clarify, I mean if you don't know about it. Which was probably a bad assumption, since I'm just as likely as you would be to torture terminology.

That is actually really interesting and thank you for linking it. But that seems to particularly revolve around the idea that the game's aesthetics are completely determined by its mechanics, which applies to computer or board games but not necessarily RPGs because there is a GM who can emit aesthetics directly. The question in the RPG is what aspects of the aesthetics and dynamics actually require mechanics rather than going through the GM. The properties they want to deliver are a bit backwards for RPGs as well - for example, they talk about the expression trait, which is "your own creativity", and give the example of dressing up an avatar. But unlike in a computer game, in an RPG the default is that all of your own creativity is expressible; it just may not be accepted by the group, or may feel hollow because there is no avatar to actually see.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

In a situation like this requires one or more of the following: 1. An out-of-character agreement that if the GM says "You can't possibly beat this foe in direct combat" then either a workaround or retreat will be required. 2. A system that has division and clear indicators between unbeatable foes the PCs might run into and want to fight, and mooks they'll be expected to mop the floor with. and 3. A GM who's willing to allow for the possibility that players might beat the enemy, but numbers aren't in their favor. The PCs might elect to fight anyway, and if they win the GM will just have to revise who the big baddie or chief lieutenant or whatever is. If they lose the GM might want to consider a way of debilitating or depriving the characters of something that isn't permadeath.

Spellbound Kingdoms offers a pretty interesting take on engaging unbeatable foes. It's a known fact of the in-universe reality that being deeply passionate about something causes you to be narratively immortal. All of the most powerful figures in the kingdoms are therefore immune to unnatural deaths, but most PCs will be, too. PCs are expected to be butting heads with their foes, directly and indirectly, but until one side has sufficiently undermined the passions of another, the other side will inevitably escape with their life. There's plenty of lesser enemies along the way that don't have that level of immunity, but taking down any major enemy takes work. Their target will be working to take them down at the same time, and any major deaths for either side with take some work to accomplish.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

NachtSieger posted:

Socializing Unnecessary

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Pathfinder 2nd edition announced.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
am I missing something obvious or is that article two months old?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Starfinder but on the ground?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kestral posted:

Socializing Unnecessary

the Final RPG

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

yeah we've known about pf 2e for awhile now, long enough for people to start grumbling at changes like goblins getting to be a PC race

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah we've known about pf 2e for awhile now, long enough for people to start grumbling at changes like goblins getting to be a PC race

Countblanc posted:

I was chained to a desk until April 18th so I didn't hear about this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

Wait, Goblins were already a PC race in first edition. I guess it's an issue about them being a core race?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
next thing you know D&D will start putting dragon people right in the PHB, it's madness

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Wait, Goblins were already a PC race in first edition. I guess it's an issue about them being a core race?

core, yeah. iirc pf 1e had them a PC race as like, some april fools thing or a free rpg day supplement or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

yes

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
By all means go to the Pathfinder thread to learn more about the wet fart that Pathfinder 2 looks to be so far.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Let's talk about Pathfinder Kingmaker instead. Anyone super hype by the new gameplay vids coming? Truly a masterpiece worth of the greatest min in the field, Chris avellone

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'm playing a campaign using those rules and they're a nightmare.

Not really doing the adventure path tho.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cassa posted:

I'm playing a campaign using those rules and they're a nightmare.

Not really doing the adventure path tho.

I started a Kingmaker campaign and it died early, thats my story.

Plutonis posted:

Let's talk about Pathfinder Kingmaker instead. Anyone super hype by the new gameplay vids coming? Truly a masterpiece worth of the greatest min in the field, Chris avellone

I've seen nothing about it, how bad are we talking (please make this answer relative to hit video game Pillars of Eternity 2).

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 14, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hyphz posted:

That is actually really interesting and thank you for linking it. But that seems to particularly revolve around the idea that the game's aesthetics are completely determined by its mechanics, which applies to computer or board games but not necessarily RPGs because there is a GM who can emit aesthetics directly. The question in the RPG is what aspects of the aesthetics and dynamics actually require mechanics rather than going through the GM. The properties they want to deliver are a bit backwards for RPGs as well - for example, they talk about the expression trait, which is "your own creativity", and give the example of dressing up an avatar. But unlike in a computer game, in an RPG the default is that all of your own creativity is expressible; it just may not be accepted by the group, or may feel hollow because there is no avatar to actually see.

Both of these points are correct.

RPGs are sort of an inherently "expression"ist game format. Consider though that having high levels of expression are not actually needed in a RPG and were actually not formally embraced until later. Early games mainly addressed characters as tools. They were what they did, no more a character than Mario or Link is. Later we realized that people wanted more expression and/or that RPGs were strong in expression and began to experiment (awkwardly at first, think WoD) with adding it.

So the other point you mentioned which goes along with this is that due to the benefit of having a GM (or just humans at the wheel, a GM isn't totally necessary) you can deal with aesthetics that are not powered by the mechanics, and some of these can work well that way and some not so well. The mechanics are a constraint on the use of aesthetics. If you want to add tactical challenge to most games as a GM that's going to involve dozens or hundreds of hours of work (fixing the combat system), but expression is generally more easy.

To tie these two thoughts together I'd suggest considering the difference between a type of expression like 'character belief' in different systems. To say "My character believes X" in PBTA or D&D is one thing (not mechanic enforced), in FATE is another (there is a non-belief themed mechanic you could use for this), and in Burning Wheel (the game is about your character's beliefs and enforces this very specifically in mechanics) is completely different. Anyway, I hope that was some help.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Thuryl posted:

I had a GM once directly tell the group when we wanted to fight something we weren't meant to, "Seriously, guys, if you try to fight the minotaur right now, you're gonna die in no time flat. All the NPCs are running like hell from this thing and you should be doing the same". A lot of players are gonna chafe at that (we sure did) so it's not a great solution for every group, but it is a thing that GMs do sometimes and can be a valid part of a particular play style.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Late to this particular discussion, but one possible solution is to run a game where there are 'defeat' outcomes which aren't 'everyone is dead, start again'.

Hell, you could just port a system like Unbound's stake-setting ('if we win, x happens; if they win, y happens') straight into D&D with minimal problems. Just establish before any given fight what happens on a win or loss.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I had a dream last night I had found a translated Disgaea TRPG on my collection I'd never touched.

I then was deeply disappointed when I opened it up and found it had been localized into D20.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's what Disgaea deserves

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
That is just a mean thing for your subconscious to do. Mean.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to parse the homebrew system we're using this weekend and every aspect of it fills me with equal parts dread and antipathy. It covers so very few things and it covers those things in such excruciating detail.

ten ability scores

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

DalaranJ posted:

RPGs are sort of an inherently "expression"ist game format. Consider though that having high levels of expression are not actually needed in a RPG and were actually not formally embraced until later. Early games mainly addressed characters as tools. They were what they did, no more a character than Mario or Link is. Later we realized that people wanted more expression and/or that RPGs were strong in expression and began to experiment (awkwardly at first, think WoD) with adding it.

So the other point you mentioned which goes along with this is that due to the benefit of having a GM (or just humans at the wheel, a GM isn't totally necessary) you can deal with aesthetics that are not powered by the mechanics, and some of these can work well that way and some not so well. The mechanics are a constraint on the use of aesthetics. If you want to add tactical challenge to most games as a GM that's going to involve dozens or hundreds of hours of work (fixing the combat system), but expression is generally more easy.

See, that's where I think that comparing the two is wrong. A board game with no mechanics is an empty board. A video game with no mechanics is a blank screen. But an RPG with no mechanics is Let's Pretend, or its solo variant Close Your Eyes And Imagine, and it already satisfies expression to pretty much the maximum degree possible. Adding mechanics can only vary the methods by which it does so.

The same applies to many of the MDA goals. Sensation - well, the typical RPG is not going to involve much in the way of experiences beyond talking and rolling dice so the idea of anything completely unfamiliar is out. Fantasy - Let's Pretend can do that. Narrative - Let's Pretend can do that too. Challenge - one of the things mechanics can provide but only if they're much more locked down than in typical RPGs. Fellowship - depends more on the game marketing.

Adding tactical challenge (by the MDA definition of "ability to master something") to a game as a GM doesn't just involve fixing up the combat system, it also involves surrendering the GM roles of fudging dice or modifying encounters on the fly. If you don't do those, that's not wrong, it's just adding sensuality rather than mastery - the feeling of rolling dice and subtracting numbers as an activity to engage in apart from just saying you swing a sword.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hyphz, why are you interested in tabletop games? You seem to have issues with a lot of them for a wide variety of reasons, but I also accept that this may be a case of sampling bias, and we just don't hear about the parts you enjoy.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

grassy gnoll posted:

Hyphz, why are you interested in tabletop games? You seem to have issues with a lot of them for a wide variety of reasons, but I also accept that this may be a case of sampling bias, and we just don't hear about the parts you enjoy.

I don't really have "issues" with them, it's just a case of understanding how some of the more story-driven ones are meant to work, because I really like the idea a lot of them but can't see how they'd get by with most of the players I know. Which basically does seem to come down to them not being the right kind of player, but possibly not for the reasons I thought that was the case.

There's the odd triumph. When my regular group wanted to start 5e again, I tried to get them to try Strike! and they ignored it, but when I showed them SotDL the regular 5e GM immediately announced he was going to run that instead - which was totally unexpected but a nice surprise ;)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Just curious. You seem to have a very different take on a lot of games than most folks and I was wondering how that plays out at the table.

SotDL is pretty sweet, and way better than 5e. Hope you enjoy it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trying to parse the homebrew system we're using this weekend and every aspect of it fills me with equal parts dread and antipathy. It covers so very few things and it covers those things in such excruciating detail.

ten ability scores
I wish to know more.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

grassy gnoll posted:

Just curious. You seem to have a very different take on a lot of games than most folks and I was wondering how that plays out at the table.

Most of the time it doesn't, I sit home writing big theories to cover the fact that it's still an area where getting to play SotDL is a remarkable surprise. :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

I wish to know more.
I keep trying to summarize the rules but I always end up reproducing them in total, and the most concise description I can come up with is that it's exactly what you'd expect a D&D 3.5 clone written by a theoretical physicist to be like.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, tell us about the new edition of Mutants & Masterminds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Wasn't that the one that was meant to be about the DC Universe until DC was like 'pen and paper games are dumb'?