Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So I finished the new story. I enjoyed it while I was playing it but the more I think about it, the more Zavala just happening to be inside Rasputin's core at the end of the first mission pisses me off. It makes no sense how he even got there, it robs the player of the feeling of wonder / accomplishment at being the first to see Rasputin first hand after hundreds of years, and his constant bitching got on my nerves.

And yes, when the worm showed up and said something about the deep I fully expected to get kicked into some sort of hell dimension that I would have to fight my way out of. Oh wait no it's just a bunch of snow.

All that said, the last scene where Rasputin speaks and starts launching a new warsat network was way cooler & more impactful than anything in the main story or CoO.

In comparison, I can't even remember the story of CoO beyond 'Osiris is stuck in the computer mines and your Ghost got replaced with a better one in the meantime.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I skipped one cutscene and it made the campaign a bit confusing

1. Land on Mars to clear a landing zone for Ana Bray
2. Oopsy doodle I hit skip cutscene
3. "How do we know this Earth Artifact will be powerful enough to lure Xol out of the warmind neural network?"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
To be honest, even with that cutscene it made no sense to me. I somehow completely missed where Xol came up in the story. It was just... there at some point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lady ghost was alright

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Fathis Munk posted:

To be honest, even with that cutscene it made no sense to me. I somehow completely missed where Xol came up in the story. It was just... there at some point.

Bungie’s idea of good story is a hugely important exposition dump when you return to the Patrol vendor that can easily be skipped by picking up the reward they have waiting for you

I am not joking. When you go to Ana for the reward before the Nokris mission she has this long dialogue string that talks about Hive Gods and Xol (not super in depth but enough to provide some necessary context) but the moment you claim the reward the dialogue ends

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Legs Benedict posted:

Bungie’s idea of good story is a hugely important exposition dump when you return to the Patrol vendor that can easily be skipped by picking up the reward they have waiting for you

I am not joking. When you go to Ana for the reward before the Nokris mission she has this long dialogue string that talks about Hive Gods and Xol (not super in depth but enough to provide some necessary context) but the moment you claim the reward the dialogue ends

This bullshit may exist to the benefit of these players that press [skip cutscene button] and say "lol, boring talk", every time they see some exposition in any game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tei posted:

This bullshit may exist to the benefit of these players that press [skip cutscene button] and say "lol, boring talk", every time they see some exposition in any game.

This is the correct way to play Destiny 2.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ItBreathes posted:

This is the correct way to play Destiny 2.

lol boy you probably gonna hate this expansion

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They really started phoning it in hard on why we're always defending ghost from waves of enemies while a counter ticks up

The neural network is destabilizing, but if you upload me to the mind core I can link with the mainframe!

Also one of the patrols starts with "Guardian, I need you to collect some supplies for me"
-Collect Supplies-
_Supplies Collected_ 0 out of 8

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Yeah Warmind's story sucks hot dicks but the thing that pisses me off the most is the first time you meet Xol, he goes "YOU WILL BE LOST" and it's supposed to be this big moment where you directly experience the power of a god wyrm except all he really does is dump a bunch of snow on you.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

boy are you all in for a treat when you realize that it isn't a big pile of snow

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Waffle House posted:

lol boy you probably gonna hate this expansion

I mean, I'm going to enjoy the shooting while not dealing with the terrible dialogue (I don't know if the dialogue in the expansion is terrible, but everything has been better so far without the ghost talking all the time), and ignore the willful if not malicious disregard for all of the good parts of D1 lore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ItBreathes posted:

I mean, I'm going to enjoy the shooting while not dealing with the terrible dialogue (I don't know if the dialogue in the expansion is terrible, but everything has been better so far without the ghost talking all the time), and ignore the willful if not malicious disregard for all of the good parts of D1 lore.

"Oh, you got one of those uptight ghosts. Cute."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Bring back Dinklebot. Keep the 'pie' line.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

AAB posted:

boy are you all in for a treat when you realize that it isn't a big pile of snow

It might have actually been an entertaining scene if that was the implication

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

It might have actually been an entertaining scene if that was the implication

its worm cum

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cheap Shot posted:

Right after the worm casts you to the terrible deep or whatever the gently caress it was.

Lore nerd time: "The Deep" is the Hive-term for what is called 'The Darkness' in most intro texts and speeches.

The thing that really annoyed me about the campaign is that in TTK, Zavala was eager to make contact with Rasputin and thought it was necessary to restart the golden age, but the computer wasn't interested in talking to anyone and the emissary they sent into the Cosmodrome was cut to pieces.

Now he wants nothing to do with it and wants it turned off forever? The only reasonable explanation is if he's having a depression lately, because Saint and Osiris were able to hold the City against impossible threats and when his own Battle of Twilight Gap arrived he failed.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Zavala is the Peter Principle made guardian

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Craptacular! posted:

Lore nerd time: "The Deep" is the Hive-term for what is called 'The Darkness' in most intro texts and speeches.

The thing that really annoyed me about the campaign is that in TTK, Zavala was eager to make contact with Rasputin and thought it was necessary to restart the golden age, but the computer wasn't interested in talking to anyone and the emissary they sent into the Cosmodrome was cut to pieces.

Now he wants nothing to do with it and wants it turned off forever? The only reasonable explanation is if he's having a depression lately, because Saint and Osiris were able to hold the City against impossible threats and when his own Battle of Twilight Gap arrived he failed.

this is snuggles, the official bungie continuity editor

snuggles doesn't understand what the gently caress you're talking about

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Craptacular! posted:

I mean you literally just described why he wants nothing to do with Rasputin.

“We should reach out to this all powerful God Machine and see if it can help us”
*does that, it indiscriminately kills the people sent to find it and doesn’t communicate at all*
“Maybe this is a bad idea and we should figure out our poo poo on our own without risking this insane God Machine deciding to kill all of us”

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Legs Benedict posted:

“We should reach out to this all powerful God Machine and see if it can help us”
*does that, it indiscriminately kills the people sent to find it and doesn’t communicate at all*
“Maybe this is a bad idea and we should figure out our poo poo on our own without risking this insane God Machine deciding to kill all of us”

Except both the D1 comments happened in the same strike.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Zavala does come over as a huge rear end in a top hat in this expansion imo. For a dude who just sat on his butt while the guardian saved earth, he sure has opinions :colbert:

(I still don't get why the other guardians didn't go into the EDZ and found their own traveler pieces. They seem to just lie around everywhere.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh I guess Wormhusk has a contender for best Hunter PvP Exotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eP--ZlZeE

Fr0st-EE5 gets you to potentially 6 second dodge cooldown on Nightstalker/Arcstrider or 21 sec grenade cooldown on Arcstrider.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
the current destiny devs seems to me well intentioned but clueless, like somebody that adopted a exotic animal and have no loving idea what this animal eats to survive

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

As someone who's basically clueless on Destiny lore, Zavala just felt like a tropey wet blanket in the DLC.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Fathis Munk posted:

(I still don't get why the other guardians didn't go into the EDZ and found their own traveler pieces. They seem to just lie around everywhere.)

BECAUSE THEIR WRITING IS BAD!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tei posted:

the current destiny devs seems to me well intentioned but clueless, like somebody that adopted a exotic animal and have no loving idea what this animal eats to survive

My semi-educated though mostly unsubstantiated guess is that when the feedback on the game rolled in they basically slaughtered the Warmind team to bolster expansion three development. Osiris was probably pretty done by that point and was already going to be a Dark Below expansion in terms of slim content, so it didn't suffer as much.

Guess we'll find out If I'm right eventually. :shrug:

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 14, 2018

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Orv posted:

My semi-educated though mostly unsubstantiated guess is that when the feedback on the game rolled in they basically slaughtered the Warmind team to bolster expansion three development. Osiris was probably pretty done by that point and was already going to be a Dark Below expansion in terms of slim content, so it didn't suffer as much.

Guess we'll find out If I'm right eventually. :shrug:

Warmind was not developed by Bungie

Orv
May 4, 2011

Legs Benedict posted:

Warmind was not developed by Bungie

No but presumably their process is that one studio has a team working on each upcoming expansion so they can leap frog each other in development, so it would make sense to pull VV people off xpac 2 to assist on 3 or work on 4. They've known that Warmind isn't going to save the game for a while, video game dev takes enough time that they couldn't really fix or change things until the September expansion. No point in putting a ton of dev time in on something that people are going to play for a week and declare garbage anyway. Whether they're that cynical is another issue, I suppose.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oxyclean posted:

As someone who's basically clueless on Destiny lore, Zavala just felt like a tropey wet blanket in the DLC.

I'm not 100% clueless but Zavala was basically "BUT WHAT IF RASPUTIN CHANGES ITS MIND?" in voicemail form. Guy wouldn't shut up about his dumbass black mirror fanfic.

Lol what if the Vex are the time-agnostic maximalist endgame of what began as Rasputin in the golden age

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Was there a huge shakeup at Bungie between Destiny 1 and 2?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Craptacular! posted:

That does...sound kind of canonical for Zavala. He seems entirely focused on the defense of the city, and when he went to Titan to be sad and depressed or whatever, a lot of his dialogue gave me the impression that his entire self-worth concept is built around the city, its protection, and the happiness of its citizens.

Now that The Speaker is dead (?), he seems like a logical Next Big Leader with such a city-facing mentality already, and there's not many else who would be able/care to step up and fill the void:

- Hideo Kojima, leader of the New Monarchy, seems to be more promoting a leadership change that favors his faction, rather than running himself in the race for it.
- Lakshmi is too busy with her mysteries and research, same for Ikora and Eris.
- The Arachs of Dead Orbit want nothing to do with the planet or the city
- Amanda Holiday is shipwright and head engineer
- Banshee is extremely happy being a gunsmith
- Shiro, Caydewho might die?? leaving Hawthorne as Hunter representation??, and Ana/Elsie are all Hunters so thus are cats and will never come indoors unless they want to
- Saladin and Shaxx enjoy getting people in the mood to punch each other too much
- Mara Sov (:rip:?) and Uldren hold the domains of space, also kinda the Fallen too (I am 100% for President Variks tho)
- Oh my god please let there be President Variks
- There's some other smaller/banished factions like the shadows of yor and the sunbreakers but they seem pretty happy opposing/being well outside the city
- Failsafe and Rasputin I have no idea. Being an AI in a Bungie game generally brings you far beyond the boundaries of Earth.

FAUXTON posted:

Lol what if the Vex are the time-agnostic maximalist endgame of what began as Rasputin in the golden age

this is a good post

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

el B posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hell yeah between Destiny 1 and 2 there was a

Hilariously
Unrefined
Gaming
Experience;

Series
Hanging
At
Knife's
Edge.

Unfinished
Products

And
The

Best
Unique
New
Gear's
In
Eververse

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wamdoodle posted:

Nope, they added a lot more management and middle management. Also tons of analysts. Mostly all of them are marketers. Anyways another studio made the game for Bungie and they snapped it all together because they thought they were creating a massive game as a service mmo style live operated game like Overwatch.

Anyways they didn't document anything and tried to appeal to an audience that didn't exist.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do I exist?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

outside of some of the expected churn in like, art and narrative? No

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the wind posted:

Anyone else cold?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

el B posted:

I mean yeah. But I'm still impressed by just how bad it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Legs Benedict posted:

Is it ever explained why Rasputin brutally killed those dudes?

• Locked thread