Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Mods, please change my username to "Nude beach blow job jet ski fight" thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I spent last night cry-laughing at these.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditSimulator/top/?sort=top&t=all

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hell yeah. Subredditsimulator is peak generated content.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

Every now and again I go to the reddit subredditsimulator for Floridaman.

The deal is: the person who runs /r/subredditsimulator takes an entire subreddit's titles and comments, and trains a Markov Chain on it, and makes that chain a user, with the username <subreddit name>_ss. That trained robot then makes posts with titles and comments based on that entire subreddit's "personality." So, /u/sex_ss is always talking about sex tips, /u/worldnews_ss is always talking about headlines and Trump and North Korea, etc.

Because "Florida Man" headlines always follow the same format, the user /u/floridaman_ss' posts are actually pretty coherent, and sometimes border on reality (or make more sense than reality). Give it a read:

https://www.reddit.com/user/floridaman_ss?sort=top

Examples:

These are all fake. But a lot of them seem pretty damned real.

Holy poo poo these are good

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/DrBeef_/status/995773501012299776

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Now for them to train it on not just the two image files (landscape and screenshot) but also include the 3D block data file that generated the screenshot. Do that one in reverse and turn landscape paintings into explorable in-game content.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Now for them to train it on not just the two image files (landscape and screenshot) but also include the 3D block data file that generated the screenshot. Do that one in reverse and turn landscape paintings into explorable in-game content.

:catdrugs:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

It feels a bit silly to post my own stuff here but I guess I've done it before so eh, here goes:

I've been feeding some sci-fi, fantasy and harlequin book titles to a markov chain -style algorithm (two different ones, actually) and here are some that I found funny:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:wroomy:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Twins: Parent Wife! sounds like some weird Mormon reality show.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh man, I didn’t realize that the new Battleman Boss and the Butterfly Kid joint had hit the shelves yet. I gotta go grab that tomorow.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Blaze of Dream Ex! :swoon:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Come Kiss a Corporate is essentially a Philip K Dick story.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was thinking Max Barry, but Dick works too lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Biggest seller will be Hotel Murder Nurses. :black101:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Hempuli posted:

It feels a bit silly to post my own stuff here but I guess I've done it before so eh, here goes:

I've been feeding some sci-fi, fantasy and harlequin book titles to a markov chain -style algorithm (two different ones, actually) and here are some that I found funny:

some good tinglers in here

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Bid for Married!: Best Marriage by Chase" is definitely a poorly-translated anime title.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Barbarianne All-The-Pooh by Betty Beach by Ruth Jean Rabe is my favourite author

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Looks like a rare form of matronymic

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/997145156867342336

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Want some of that praline cheddar swirl.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I;m thinking about thos death beans

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I am now absolutely convinced our universe was simulated by some rear end in a top hat on Cosmic Twitter.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Noctis is a simulation from the year 2000 in which you play a lone interstellar explorer. You use your alien spaceship to warp to, land on and catalogue star systems, planets and moons across a unique galaxy. While suffering from technical limitations such as invisible walls and similar landscapes, there is enough variety and surprise in these star systems to provoke your imagination and wonder. A shared catalogue allows you to fill in the gaps and post reports of your journeys. Billions of stars and billions of planets give enough space for your explorations to be unique and special. There is nothing like traveling in uncharted space before coming across a note left by some previous explorer years ago.

I played Noctis through my formative internet years in the early/mid 2000s. The creator was a reclusive figure who suffered from depressive moods, which permenated the atmosphere of the game. Noctis is cited as an inspiration for later popular games such as Minecraft, No Man's Sky and Dwarf Fortress. Users of the simulation discovered Noctis through Home of the Underdogs. Once that site went under, there wasn't an influx of new players. The community forum grew stagnant and is now only really active through a play-by-post cyberpunk roleplaying game which has been going for.. a number of years now. The website is anywherebb.com if anybody wants to check it out.

Maybe I'm personally biased, but I find it difficult to understand why this game didn't blow up more. The pie-in-the-sky description of the eventual No Man's Sky is ripped straight from Noctis. Only Noctis pulled it off. I mean, I get it. The controls are weird and its nerdy. The visuals look like you are seeing the universe through the eyes of a depressed cat who has taken acid poorly. But thats where the charm lay.

I don't know. This game sure meant a lot to me when I was 14. It evoked some pretty dark nights of the soul as i flew through a strange crystal galaxy powered by my teenage 1979 angst. It definitely has left a slight illegible mark on art games today. I don't expect anybody to wrangle a working copy into starting up today. But i do enjoy the memory of this purple tinged neurotic dream cat of procedural code.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Reminds me of Captain Blood which was a pretty weird game where you explored a galaxy looking for the eponymous captain or something. The manual was just a single sheet of paper & there are pretty much no in-game hints I spent a lot of time just aimlessly visiting identical planets and talking to weird aliens using an icon-based system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cm1K-tMkHc&t=329s

Sometimes the aliens seem pretty intelligent, other times they're spouting pure nonsense. I don't know how much is algorithmic though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

frankenfreak posted:

So I've made the poor life choice of spending most of my Sunday messing around writing a Markov chain generator and feeding it AGOT. While still somewhat crude, it spit out this nugget:

George R.R. Markov posted:

Syrio's stick came whistling up and rang against his helm. "I am Syrio Forel, and you will name your child after me." Dany smiled. "My son has his name, but I will if I have to, we'll see how you feel." Jon trembled. "I will never father a bastard," he said carefully.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The book markov chain dataset ended up being oddly lucrative and while it's really rewarding to generate more funny book titles, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to show them. This thread feels like the best bet so I'll post more here; I'll try to refrain from clogging up the thread since it's not super active, though.

In other procedural generation news, here's a cool noise-to-shapes thing:
https://twitter.com/NathanPilla/status/996965380433178624
There's some describing of the mechanism behind it in the replies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wanna see the author's photo for Monte Castle, Big Planet for Butt

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mystery is my middlest name.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I was excited at the end of The Murder Marriage Project: The Groomsmen because you know they have been building this up since MMP: Proposal and once they get to the ceremony it's gonna be brutal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lemme tell you, buddy. MMP: Honeymoon is NOT what you'd expect. No spoilers, but Interpol is involved at one point.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Man Seeking to Script Happy Ending is too perfect to be made by some dumb computer

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Man Seeking to Script Happy Ending is too perfect to be made by some dumb computer

Well, as usual with markov chains there's a large amount of cherrypicking present. For what it's worth, I think "Man Seeking Script To Happy Ending" is possibly made up of these actual titles (though there are some other options):

Man Shy
Outback Man Seeks Wife
Desperately Seeking Annie
Shooting Script
Postscript To Yesterday
Passport To Happiness
Year's Happy Ending

The engine always makes sure that n previous letters exist somewhere in the source material; I think in this case n was 5 (I had defined it as 6, but the code was dumbly formatted so that the yet-to-be-generated letter is included in the 6, I think). So for example when the engine had generated up to "Man Seek", it picks the next letter by looking at the 5 previous letters, in this case " Seek", which could result in either 'e' (Seeker), 's' (Seeks) or 'i' (Seeking). Looks like there are two books with 'Seeker' in the dataset so that'd be a 1/4 chance of going towards "Seeking".

I hope you're not accusing me of making that up, though :(

EDIT: Was going to come back to edit out that last bit but I guess it's immortalized now, haha vv

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 11:29 on May 22, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Hempuli posted:

I hope you're not accusing me of making that up, though :(

Can you prove you're not a Markov chain posting bot?!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Beef Soup With Swamp Peef And Cheese
Chocolate Chops & Chocolate Chips
Crimm Grunk Garlic Cleas
Beasy Mist
Export Bean Spoons In Pie-Shell, Top If Spoon and Whip The Mustard
Chocolate Pickle Sauce
Whole Chicken Cookies
Salmon Beef Style Chicken Bottom
Star *
Cover Meats
Out Of Meat
Completely Meat Circle
Completely Meat Chocolate Pie
Cabbage Pot Cookies
Artichoke Gelatin Dogs
Crockpot Cold Water

https://www.someecards.com/life/tech/computer-cookbook-recipes/

I'm Cover Meats

quote:

Kodks. or Sugar Layer With Stock In Con Mublentchs

alcohol, cajun, dudes

2 pkg hershey’s can be prepared in unpeeled
1 smaller
½ cup yellow onions you may
1 cup egg; chilled, coursely chopped
½ lb bacon, chopped
1 ½ cup sugar, grated
4 oz square oil

Halve the finely chopped fresh garlic salt and pepper. Break the meat into the pineapples and pat them, scraping the room off the skillet. Add ghees and beer and bring to a boil; cover and simmer, uncovered, on High for 20 to 30 minutes or until the onion thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes, adding a little about hot water and brown the meat. Add the mussels to the jar, blencard brieply and simmer until the potato vegetables are coarse through. Drain and serve would be required of the grated glaze and Wannational and cook in foam or water for 2-3 min. it using a fork.Create a little to two separate spaces fine and open.

Yield: 4 servings
https://www.someecards.com/life/tech/neural-network-cocktail-recipe/

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Krankenstyle posted:

Reminds me of Captain Blood which was a pretty weird game where you explored a galaxy looking for the eponymous captain or something. The manual was just a single sheet of paper & there are pretty much no in-game hints I spent a lot of time just aimlessly visiting identical planets and talking to weird aliens using an icon-based system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cm1K-tMkHc&t=329s

Sometimes the aliens seem pretty intelligent, other times they're spouting pure nonsense. I don't know how much is algorithmic though.

Yes, it was pretty awesome, but it was hardly procedural... it did a great job at faking it though! And I would like to see a more modern approach to that system.

There were aliens spouting nonsense but they were just it... and then there were intelligent NPCs. Unfortunately save for randomized positions and 5 randomized starting point it had little "procedural". The biggest procedural part was just the canyon approach section with the final planet rendering, which was quite advanced for the time.

Some of the nonsense-spouting aliens in the game had a role that was along the lines of "fetch quest items" that you unlocked by talking to a guy.

The system for talking with intelligent aliens instead was quite advanced for the time, not being just a "dialog tree", but yet it was based on variable condition checking (and setting) and pattern matching rules.

If you want to spoil yourserlf further:

https://argnet.fatal-design.com/bluddian.php
http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/CaptainBlood/main.php5

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Jeza posted:

Can you prove you're not a Markov chain posting bot?!

I doesn't make sense than reality). Give it a read:

Example of flesh coloured amorphous blobs meant to representing difference between intelligence (problem solving) and minds (people). Researchers are not even interesting.

Space Engine is one of the most part those worlds are pretty much impossible stories out of his project? I can't find any.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just cited something from this thread in my dissertation. It is the first citation I've added to the whole thing. lol

Content:

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/998989525069287424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That latest "Metal or Pony" post has me in stitches.